mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Transcept trail Sedona - Open!

I rode Hiline trail today and the Forest Service was installing a trail sign and a big wire rock cage. They said the trail is open for business. I didn't ride it because I didn't want to miss out on Hiline. This trail starts just below the high point of the Hiline climb and goes South, then curves west down a canyon where is joins a residential street off of Verde Valley School Road, about a mile south (maybe less)of Baldwin Trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    I rode Hiline trail today and the Forest Service was installing a trail sign and a big wire rock cage. They said the trail is open for business. I didn't ride it because I didn't want to miss out on Hiline. This trail starts just below the high point of the Hiline climb and goes South, then curves west down a canyon where is joins a residential street off of Verde Valley School Road, about a mile south (maybe less)of Baldwin Trail.
    Rip thatís great to hear. I heard it was a soft opening, but I guess itís hard now. The trail is a great ride out and back from the newly built ramp off the high point. There is a difficult climb section halfway to the high point that the 5%íers will enjoy. I would say totally maybe 50 yards or more of hike-a-bike for the 95%íers.

On the way back the trail is totally rideable by the riders who only walked 50 yards on the southerly ride. If someone else hasnít posted the trail on Trailforks I will add it to the database so it will be available on the phone app. I doubt any other map source will have the route posted for a while.

mtbr member
    The north end is supposed to be rerouted slightly to join HiLine a little further up than right at the right hand berm where riders are carrying speed. Maybe that got done if they were signing it and installing a rock jail.

The rock work from last April on HiLine held up well through the monsoon season.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    The Trancept trail has been approved and added to the Trailforks database. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Transcept trail Sedona - Open!-2c1ce356-d5b1-417c-80fa-12e568b9875c.jpg  

Last edited by Switchblade2; 11-20-2018 at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    There's some difference of opinion on the name of this trail. May 31st Decision Memo spells it "Transept". Temporary signs spell it "Trancept". Will check with RRRD.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sunup thanks for the clarification.

Meatbomb
    Bro.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Any chance that Trancept Trail will eventually connect up to Turkey Creek Trail?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Any chance that Trancept Trail will eventually connect up to Turkey Creek Trail?
    Back when Trancept was built the user built trail builders were investigating a new trail concept that would connect the Turkey Creek trail system to Transcept. You basicly would need to stay above the private property West of Verde Valley School Rd.

There was a lot of interest in creating a connector, so I would assume if the Red Rock Trail Fund were to collect about $200,000 you could get something built five years from now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SunUpRanch View Post
    There's some difference of opinion on the name of this trail. May 31st Decision Memo spells it "Transept". Temporary signs spell it "Trancept". Will check with RRRD.
    Well, when in doubt, use ALL the letters. The hand-lettered sign shows "Transcept".

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    evdog posted video of this trail in his Cranksgiving thread.

mtbr member
    Rode it today for the 1st time and overall, I enjoyed it. I did work a little harder than expected and I didn't know about the HAB (I'm sure evdog liked that part) but I loved the challenging techy stuff at the end the best. I actually think this trail has more potential for actual injury if you fall the wrong direction than any trail other than the worst spots on Hangover. I wasn't taking any chances riding solo either.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 12-14-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    I don't find it that scary and it has far less committing moves than any of the H trails but it has that classic ledge/exposure experience. Not much anything else that has been added to the system since the 2013 closure comes close.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I don't find it that scary and it has far less committing moves than any of the H trails but it has that classic ledge/exposure experience. Not much anything else that has been added to the system since the 2013 closure comes close.
    Rode it last weekend and this is how I felt. I liked it except for the HAB section but we ran into a FS Ranger at the top that said they have plans to make that section more rideable. I will say we ran into a few hikers that didn't seem pleased at all about us being there. We were nothing but polite and were at places where we could stop to let them pass but scowls and no acknowledgement was the reply...
    Last edited by gasmanxj; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    Rode it last weekend and this how I felt. I liked it except for the HAB section but we ran into a FS Ranger at the top that said they have plans to make that section more rideable. I will say we ran into a few hikers that didn't seem pleased at all about us being there. We were nothing but polite and were at places where we could stop to let them pass but scowls and no acknowledgement was the reply...
    Well, the local hikers had that one all to themselves for the last 6 years so I guess it's understandable. And it was originally built by a hiker so maybe there is some sense of entitlement. Who knows but great to have it back in the mix.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Well, the local hikers had that one all to themselves for the last 6 years so I guess it's understandable. And it was originally built by a hiker so maybe there is some sense of entitlement. Who knows but great to have it back in the mix.
    That might explain it, wondered if there was a backstory. Just was odd, rarely get that in Sedona. Most of the hikers are friendly and many chat about the trails or want to watch/take pics if we're at a tech spot. Agreed good to have it back!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Well, when in doubt, use ALL the letters. The hand-lettered sign shows "Transcept".
    Gee...I wonder who wrote that sign...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    That might explain it, wondered if there was a backstory. Just was odd, rarely get that in Sedona. Most of the hikers are friendly and many chat about the trails or want to watch/take pics if we're at a tech spot. Agreed good to have it back!
    There is a small percentage of Sedona hikers that hate mountain bikers because they went out and built a bunch of user created multi-use trails that they get to enjoy hiking.

Whenever I approach Sedona hikers I ask if they are friendly or hostile? That way I can respond appropriately. The ones who say they are friendly I ask where they are from and are they enjoying their hike? The hostile ones donít really respond, so I know they are hostile.

Since most of the trails in Sedona are user created I just remind the hostiles that the trail was created by some mountain biker for them and mountain bikers to enjoy. If they are really die hard hostiles they get really pissed that the FS adopted the trail. There is no way of ever getting those people to understand that the mountain biking community created something for their enjoyment.

The guy who built Transept is nicked named the Phantom. That may have been who you passed. He put a lot of hard work into the trail, so he has a sense of ownership. Hikers are different then the Sedona mountain bikers who built the majority of cool trails.

The Sedona mountain bikers want to share their trails with the hikers because it makes the trail more popular with a greater number of people who then tell the FS how much they love such and such trail. It gets the trail adopted quicker, if the hikers love a certain user created trail.

Today I met a friendly hiker on a user created trail. He was from Louisiana and spends six months in Sedona. I asked him if he new who built the trail and he said the FS? When I told him the mountain biking community built it he was very appreciative.

The WHOLE PROCESS has been very rewarding for those who love Sedona style riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    There is a small percentage of Sedona hikers that hate mountain bikers because they went out and built a bunch of user created multi-use trails that they get to enjoy hiking.

Whenever I approach Sedona hikers I ask if they are friendly or hostile? That way I can respond appropriately. The ones who say they are friendly I ask where they are from and are they enjoying their hike? The hostile ones donít really respond, so I know they are hostile.
    That is hilarious!