mtbr member
    Nov 2008

trails up by the Rim

This weekend i am going on a family camping trip up to the rim by woods canyon lake.
    what are some good xc trails to ride around there?

thanks

Shred...it's the new drug
    There's been quite a few threads on this subject. Use the search function or scroll back a couple pages and you'll find all the info you'll need. Have fun!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks, found YOUR thread on the subject hahah. i tryed search for rim blah blah, but no avail. did find info from woods canyon lake, what trails did you enjoy most?

The cabin loop I hear is fun. I did the mbaa race course, forgot the name but it was flowy, nothing too challenging but in the trees. I rode it clockwise. check mtbikeaz.com for maps and other suggestions.

livin' the dream......
    Was up there this weekend, did not get to ride but stopped at Barbershop Trail 91 of FR139 and peered into the woods to see where the trail goes. Looked very inviting! Look on the Coconino Nat. Forest page for cabin loop info and other trail info.

We camped right along fr300 at a dispersed campsite, weather was awesome! As expected, it was crowded. Original plan was to camp at Knoll Lake, which was full.....

mtbr member
    the cabin loop was closed due to the fire complex, and was originally not scheduled to re-open until Aug. 15th. i'd call the blue ridge ranger station before you get shut down. the trail around WC lake is sweet but that place is CROWDED on the weekends. if you just drop off the rim to the 260 trailhead you can ride to christopher creek & back. you can ride off the rim on the military sinkhole trail, and i rode a really sweet once off the rim just to the W. of WC lake.......Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

EDR
    260 TH (just below the rim), up Military Sinkhole, FR300 to Drew Canyon, drop down rim to See Canyon to Christopher Creek or back to 260 TH. Up MS is a real challange, not exactly a "family" ride.

HERE is some info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i was thinking of when we are going to leave, go down military sinkhole to 260 th then over highline, and end at the cc general store,
    basicly this ride
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...itary+Sinkhole

anythoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    oh and as far as this ride will be just me and my dad, ill be hard tailing it, he has a big hit. so i fegure that will level things out between us a little bit. but i know hes not up for climbing up the rim thats why im thinking heading down and having the truck pick us up on the way back to the valley.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles
    the cabin loop was closed due to the fire complex, and was originally not scheduled to re-open until Aug. 15th. i'd call the blue ridge ranger station before you get shut down. ......Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    I called and they say it is open with the exception of some of the FH trail.

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly

Prolly a fair assumption that it is the northern section of the FH where it intersects HB, SW to Quien Sabe spring...

Quote Originally Posted by 88mustanggt
    oh and as far as this ride will be just me and my dad, ill be hard tailing it, he has a big hit. so i fegure that will level things out between us a little bit. but i know hes not up for climbing up the rim thats why im thinking heading down and having the truck pick us up on the way back to the valley.

atta boy...shuttles rock. all reward, little pain. That's be the way I'd do it

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    atta boy...shuttles rock. all reward, little pain. That's be the way I'd do it

pfft.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i fegured climbing up the rim would make for no more riding after reaching the summit. hahaha, plus not many people enjoy climbing on a big hit , but they do like going the other way.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by 88mustanggt
    i fegured climbing up the rim would make for no more riding after reaching the summit. hahaha, plus not many people enjoy climbing on a big hit , but they do like going the other way.
    The ride down Drew is fun. It's tough at first but then the trail follows the mountain terrain kinda sideways, that part was a blast. I'm sure you could go down MS then head over to CC area, I just didn't do it that way. We wanted to say we climbed UP to the rim, haha.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    No closure indications on Barbershop when I was there Sunday morning. The U-Bar trail access on FR139 had a "prescribed burn in progress" sign, but nothing saying it was closed.

climbings over rated. there's no shame in enjoying the down...at least you're shredding and not sitting on the computer telling people how lame they are for not pedaling up. have fun!!! it's so nice up there, wish I was you!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks, thats what i wanted to hear!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0