Trails near Tempe?- Mtbr.com
    formerly Gobike69

Trails near Tempe?

Hey All

Greetings from NorCal. I am going to be in Tempe for a couple of days and was interested in getting a ride in. Any recommendations for rides near Tempe. Due to time constraints I can't travel too far from Tempe. Any advice would be appreeciated

Tailwinds,

Daddio
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

I love bike!
    South Mountain has got it all and will be within minutes of anywhere in Tempe. Check out the Visitors sticky near the top of the Arizona forum and you can get more info and then ask more specific questions here

EDR
    For technical climbing and descending type riding hit up National at South Mtn. If you are looking for more xc type riding I'd go to Hawes in east Mesa over SoMo any day. 15-20ish minutes from Tempe and 10x more beautiful. (For the love of God , please don't go ride Desert Classic at SoMo and use that as a baseline for AZ xc trails )

banned
    Big Daddio is one of the reasons I got into the trail improvement business over 18 (?) years ago, his daughter may still have been in the oven, and now she is going to be getting a top notch education in Tempe.

Daddio is in tip top shape and he always would ride up to the top of the trail we were climbing then turn around and ride down to help tow me up to the top. Not sure what bike he is bringing to AZ, but I hope it has some gears and squish for So.Mo.

He is bringing his lights, so maybe someone could show him a ride. He is also a competitive BMX'er and goes to races with his with his son, David. One of my favorite trails I built in Nor Cal, I named David's Delight, and gave the trail to David for a Christmas present.

I built another trail called Bandit (years prior) in Water Dog Park and gave it to some Ex Friends for a Christmas present. They have resented me for building that trail, but I think BD likes the David's Delight trail. Not sure his son has ever ridden it, but when he does, it will certainly pop his cherry.

TD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trails near Tempe?-russ.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 08-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.

formerly Gobike69

Thanks Traildoc!

I appreciate the introduction

FYI, David had ridden Dave's Delight which he liked but he wasn't so keen on Airplane

I'll see you when you come back up this way

Daddio

Shred...it's the new drug
    Nobody mentioned Papago...it's in Tempe!!! Not too gnar but fun for some miles and there's a little freeride pit by the water treatment plant. Somo rules all...PMP is good too!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddio View Post
    I appreciate the introduction

FYI, David had ridden Dave's Delight which he liked but he wasn't so keen on Airplane

I'll see you when you come back up this way

Daddio
    Airplane is definitely the pop your cherry section. I use to call it the Right of Passage for non-locals, we would hook-up with in the parking lot. Karen would walk around the parking lot with a BIG on her face and all her future want-a-bee boyfriends would ask her "what trails should we ride in the park"? She would point to me and say follow that guy. I would always take them to Airplane for the introduction TEST RIDE.

We had many years of unbelievable riding there before the line was drawn in the sand. Now we have lots of memories and great places, like Heaven's Gate, to spread ashes.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    I built another trail called Bandit (years prior) in Water Dog Park and gave it to some Ex Friends for a Christmas present. They have resented me for building that trail, but I think BD likes the David's Delight trail. Not sure his son has ever ridden it, but when he does, it will certainly pop his cherry.

TD
    These are in Tempe? I don't recognize the names.

Daddio, S. Mountain is where you want to go.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Bees knees is a favorite of mine 20 minutes from Tempe

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    These are in Tempe? I don't recognize the names.

Daddio, S. Mountain is where you want to go.
    st:

Rather than ask me sarcastic questions maybe you could show my Nor Cal friend some of your favorite S. Mountain stoke pictures or video. My old pictures of SoMo are locked in an old hard drive that crashed.

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    st:

Rather than ask me sarcastic questions maybe you could show my Nor Cal friend some of your favorite S. Mountain stoke pictures or video. My old pictures of SoMo are locked in an old hard drive that crashed.

TD
    I don't have any SoMo pictures or videos. What gave you the impression I did?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    I don't have any SoMo pictures or videos. What gave you the impression I did?
    Classic answer

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Desert Classic is quite good as long as you toss in things like the Beverly Canyon cross-over, the Corona De Loma up and down, and the Helipad climb/Goat Trail down. Just avoid it on the weekends if thats your timing. Hawes is better though.....do have to say that.

banned
    Jun 2011
    ride "A" moutain. great climb, short, super fast smooth downhill...

papago? really? REALLY!?

formerly Gobike69

Thanks

Thanks for all the good advice. I ended up going to South Mountain. I started from the 46th St. parking lot. Went up Javelina, Mormon and the National trails and finished up with Pima Wash and Beverly Canyon. All in all it was an excellent place to ride. Very technical in places. I brought my rigid single and was put to the test to climb and descend some of the more technical stuff. I'm not sure when I'll be back in Arizona but when I do go back I'm bringing more bike