Trails near Anthem AZ visiting from out of town- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Trails near Anthem AZ visiting from out of town

I'm coming to Anthem AZ and renting a mtb from freedom cycle's on May 25 or 26. I was thinking of Black canyon trail. Looking for route suggestion and how to get in touch with anyone else who could ride one of those days. I've never been to AZ and I'm looking for something maybe like blue trails. More fun downhill rather than monster climbing. Thank you.

Meatbomb
    Black Canyon Trail is awesome

mtbr member
    At the end of May temperatures are likely to be in the high 110įs here in Phoenix. Don't be one of those tourists that we end up hearing about having to be rescued from the trails on the news..

Vincit qui patitur
    BCT would be fun. Although you have Browns Ranch (40 minutes) and McDowell Mountain Park comp loops and Pemberton.(75 minutes)
    Sedona (1 1/2 hr)
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

mtbr member
    Iím not from AZ but visit yearly. Apache Wash is close, but , Brownís Ranch is my favorite. At 70 y/o , I prefer flow. Just a warning though, last July I came out to visit family. Tried a ride and barely made it back before heat stroke. Be careful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Meatbomb
    Yes, ride early, hydrate early and carry lots of water.

mtbr member
    BCT is close. I live in anthem, I will be riding in flag then if the forest is not closed. Other wise it will be 5am starts to avoid the heat.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Is there a Facebook group for bct, so I could find ppl riding when I'm going?

Always in the wrong gear
    You might find a guide/group on this thread...
    As an AZ native, and frequent BCT rider, I would strongly advise against an out-of-towner riding any section alone, doubly so at any point from April to September. Itís remote, unforgiving, and at times can be poorly marked as it crosses various jeep roads. Some of those roads *are* the BCT. All it would take is a little spill, or a mechanical, and walking out becomes a multi-hour endeavor. The last time I (and 2friends) rode it, we went from Emery-Henderson, up and around Pan Loop. 30-something miles... 4.5 hours. We saw *ONE* other trail user.

Iím not saying donít ride there, I freaking love the BCT. Boy-Scout loop to Pan Loop are some of my favorite miles of trail in all of Arizona. Iím saying be smart and go with people who know. Or at least a pre-loaded GPS and double the water and food.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I agree on nit riding BCT alone this time of year. Browns is awesome. About 20 mins past Apache Wash but well worth the drive. And you get that classic Az desert scenery. Complete witth tons of saguaro cactus. And some great flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by damageinc321 View Post
    I'm coming to Anthem AZ and renting a mtb from freedom cycle's on May 25 or 26.
    Ok So May 25th, is Friday May 26 is Saturday.

It will be hot then so you will have to ride at 5am or after dark. I do NOT recommend anyone from out of state try to ride in the middle of day that time of year. It will be hot and you could die. You may think I am exaggerating, but I am not. People are often resuced when attempting midday hikes and some don't have rescue in time. If you are on the BCT then chances are high you will be alone with nobody around. Nobody will ride by and if something goes wrong they may not find your body for days. Yes I can ride the BCT from my house, but it is summer so only the most acclimated should attempt anything.

Now today is supposed to be 105 and at 5:30 am it was 68 deg at my house in Anthem. Perfect weather, but it gets hot fast. However by 10am it will be 95 and no shade.

So what time do you plan to ride and for how long? Personally I will be at work Friday 5/25 and in Flagstaff on Sat 5/26 for an all day ride if the don't close the forest for fire danger. If they do close it I will probably do a early AM BCT ride. Meaning on the trail at first light and done before it gets hot. There are other great places to ride in the area as well, but the real key is what time of day are you looking at. Makes little difference which trail you choose if you plan you ride at 1pm. It will hurt bad.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Ok So May 25th, is Friday May 26 is Saturday.

It will be hot then so you will have to ride at 5am or after dark. I do NOT recommend anyone from out of state try to ride in the middle of day that time of year. It will be hot and you could die. You may think I am exaggerating, but I am not. People are often resuced when attempting midday hikes and some don't have rescue in time. If you are on the BCT then chances are high you will be alone with nobody around. Nobody will ride by and if something goes wrong they may not find your body for days. Yes I can ride the BCT from my house, but it is summer so only the most acclimated should attempt anything.

Now today is supposed to be 105 and at 5:30 am it was 68 deg at my house in Anthem. Perfect weather, but it gets hot fast. However by 10am it will be 95 and no shade.

So what time do you plan to ride and for how long? Personally I will be at work Friday 5/25 and in Flagstaff on Sat 5/26 for an all day ride if the don't close the forest for fire danger. If they do close it I will probably do a early AM BCT ride. Meaning on the trail at first light and done before it gets hot. There are other great places to ride in the area as well, but the real key is what time of day are you looking at. Makes little difference which trail you choose if you plan you ride at 1pm. It will hurt bad.
    Agree with the above. I recently moved here and Iím astonished how much water I consume. The new Copper mountain section is flowy but I needed to engage 4 wheel drive in my truck just to only ride that section. I was the only one out there. Sedona gets hot too but someone is more likely to find you if you get into trouble. And just because Flag is cooler, donít underestimate fluid requirements. If you noticed that your not peeing enough, then your behind the eight ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Meatbomb
    Pee often and pee clear ...