Ouch, I am hot!

Are the Trails in Flagstaff Worth the In-Laws?

My in-laws have invited the family up to their home in Flagstaff this Memorial Day weekend. Sounds good, but you don't know my in-laws. Very tough, formal as hell, and well, not very pleasant for me. They are not evil, its just that relaxing is not something I can do at their place over three days. Question - riding Sunset Trail and the other parts of Mt. Elden are always a blast and likely would make such a trip tolerable. Riding non-tech fireroads at the lower levels are almost as intolerable as the in-laws. So, what are the trail conditions (yes, I have seen the comments from a week ago) as of now and what are the predictions for this weekend? I want to Sunrise and those similar trails up on L-Den. Thanks.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    My in-laws have invited the family up to their home in Flagstaff this Memorial Day weekend. Sounds good, but you don't know my in-laws. Very tough, formal as hell, and well, not very pleasant for me. They are not evil, its just that relaxing is not something I can do at their place over three days. Question - riding Sunset Trail and the other parts of Mt. Elden are always a blast and likely would make such a trip tolerable. Riding non-tech fireroads at the lower levels are almost as intolerable as the in-laws. So, what are the trail conditions (yes, I have seen the comments from a week ago) as of now and what are the predictions for this weekend? I want to Sunrise and those similar trails up on L-Den. Thanks.
    Did you see that movie about the alien abduction, Fire on the Mountain (wait a minute, I forgot who I'm talking to, or course you did)? Didn't that take place in Flagstaff? Problem solved. Head up, pretend to be abducted--isn't there a big gathering up there this weekend? Camp with them--and come back Monday. Just be sure to do a couple OTBs, so it looks like you've been anally probed.

In a less sarcastic tone, I think I'd do Flag even if I was forced to have a root canal as punishment. Regarding the conditions, I'll let somebody else chime in, but with the weather as hot as it's been these last two weeks, my gut says it's pretty darn dry.

ST
    Disclaimer: This post was in no way intended to slander or offend any aliens.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    It's great, I rode there last weekend and it was great, good amount of water flowing through shultz, but it felt great, the trail surfaces are great, there's some occasional snow patches near the top, nothing significant.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Just another half mile...

Come ride with us.....

Hey Dirdir, you know we we are camping, come hang and ride with us if you get stiff from the In-laws. Saturdays ride is guarentied to put a smileon your face.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Hey Dirdir, you know we we are camping, come hang and ride with us if you get stiff from the In-laws. Saturdays ride is guarentied to put a smileon your face.
    Yo Epic, are you riding at 9:00 from the campsite? I looked at the Saturday ride description and am not too familiar with it. Is is basically up Elden via the good stuff and then down the same good stuff? I have gone riding out there maybe 5 times. Up the fire road and down via Sunset to .... I have in fact decided to go this weekend, well my wife decided for me, but either way, I should be there.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Just another half mile...

Grand Tour....

Yep, depart at 9 from camp. We will be doing a 20 mile grand tour loop of most of the good stuff with several bail out for peeps who are not up for the FMD. Plan on 5 to 6 hours out on the trail. No fire roads.....all singletrack!

Yo Epic, are you riding at 9:00 from the campsite? I looked at the Saturday ride description and am not too familiar with it. Is is basically up Elden via the good stuff and then down the same good stuff? I have gone riding out there maybe 5 times. Up the fire road and down via Sunset to .... I have in fact decided to go this weekend, well my wife decided for me, but either way, I should be there.

Occidental Tourist
    Yea come on up. Its a sweet route and as Dale said, plenty o bail outs back to camp with beers to help you forget about your abduction....errr ride
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Looking for people to ride with camp in Flagstaff.

I just moved here and would love to check out Flag.
    Can I hook up with you guys to do some riding and possibly camping.
    I am heading up there solo so it would be cool if there are some people to go camping with. Keep me posted, if this is a private group, couples group etc I will look elsewhere but I really want to get some riding in this weekend.

Any recommendations on where to buy camping gear a place cheaper than REI.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgg765
    I just moved here and would love to check out Flag.
    Can I hook up with you guys to do some riding and possibly camping.
    I am heading up there solo so it would be cool if there are some people to go camping with. Keep me posted, if this is a private group, couples group etc I will look elsewhere but I really want to get some riding in this weekend.

Any recommendations on where to buy camping gear a place cheaper than REI.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan.
    Jgg, the group that is going up to Flagstaff is called RideAZ. It is simply a group of mountain bikers, a very large group. They are not restrictive and I think the only screening process is to ensure that new people are mountain bikers and not rapists. To that end, you will need to ask epicrider for access to their website and/or camping info. I suggest PMing him.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Jm.
    mtbr member
    What trails is this group riding? I'd be interested in a up-shultz, up gnarly, up brookbank, up sunset to the top, and then back down and do something like lost burrito or little bear, and back. If not, I'm planning on a pretty big loop out here in prescott this weekend if anybody is interested.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    What trails is this group riding? I'd be interested in a up-shultz, up gnarly, up brookbank, up sunset to the top, and then back down and do something like lost burrito or little bear, and back. If not, I'm planning on a pretty big loop out here in prescott this weekend if anybody is interested.
    Per the ride guru:

Saturdays ride will depart camp around 9 or so. The FMD route that I have planned has several bail out along the way for those who wish to return to camp a little earlier. The classic FMD route is Schultz Creek - Little Gnarly - Upper Brookbank - Little Bear - Elden Spring - Weatherford - Ricochet - Secret - Super Moto - camp. Something around 20 miles with 3000' feet of climbing...woo hoo! Sundays ride TBD by popular demand and there may be a more than one ride going in different directions. Monday is open too, maybe explore the AZ trail south of Flag on the way out off town.
    I AM JUST A JERK