mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Trails at the end of Desert Classic

I know there are tons of post about the trails at the end of DC, but I don't feel like reading through pages and pages....... I am wanting to do a longer ride Saturday at SOMO with a lot of climbing. Where do I connect to the new trails? How long are they, and where do they connect up to national or the paved road?

Shred...it's the new drug
    search for bee knees, gila ridge or 620 trails....

or

www.mtbikeaz.com

Pivotal figure
    Basically, you head out from the Telegraph Pass end and reconnect with the trails at the end of Chandler. I usually just tie in to San Juan road and climb back up to Nat'l since that end of the trail is a harsh ride/hike back up...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Take the road west out of Telegraph Pass TH and go down about a mile when the road starts curving to the left you will see the wash on the right open up. There is an embankment with 3 drainage holes in it, in the bottom of the wash. Gila trail starts on the top. After good mile and a bit the trail has turn off to the right (602?) which goes up to National. Tight switchbacks with steeps climbs. Stay on Gila and after half mile after deep wash trail splits to the left and goes over to the climb up Bees Knees.

You can take either Gila or Bees Knees over to the far west end of the park and eventually cut over to end of National and San Juan Road.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    is desert classic enterable from the trailhead at Desert Foothills parkway between 7th and 8th st? how about the other trail heading north from there. Or is that downhill only unless youre doing hike-a-bike up to the road?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The trail to the N you speak of is Telegraph. Never seen anyone clean the whole climb but you can 'ride' quite a bit of it. And yes, the old DC takes off to the east from that concrete pad.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    is desert classic enterable from the trailhead at Desert Foothills parkway between 7th and 8th st? how about the other trail heading north from there. Or is that downhill only unless youre doing hike-a-bike up to the road?
    Yes, just follow the paved trail out of the parking lot. It ends at an intersection, DC starts to your right, Telegraph goes to your left. Partial hike-a-bike for some, but it's not a very long trail.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart
    Yes, just follow the paved trail out of the parking lot. It ends at an intersection, DC starts to your right, Telegraph goes to your left. Partial hike-a-bike for some, but it's not a very long trail.
    thanks dude,, i didnt want to assume anything from google earth.
    3 weeks from today ill be picking my house. i'll probably choose gilbert but a few places i want to see in ahwatukee near that area.
    coming from an entirely XC biking existence, i won't whine about a DC warmup to pima canyon then up to the trails,, then i could just exit down telegraph when i reach puking point.

Members who have read this thread: 0