Trailforks.com- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trailforks.com

DFL>DNF>DNS

Trailforks.com

Saw that skidmap combined efforts with these guys.

Trailforks

Another place to go for finding trails in unfamiliar areas. It's also linked up to Pinkbike if that matters.

Seems pretty cool, I uploaded a track to see what it's all about. Fairly easy to do and you can pick & choose how detailed you want to be.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Give it a crank
    Looks great, they've come a long way from the last time I looked at skidmap. Thanks for posting!

I bookmarked their mobile website version for using on the trails.

mtbr member
    Consolidating those types of sites is a good thing IMO. IMBA's MTB Project is coming along as well though it will never be complete because they confirm legality of all trails directly with the land manager before they are posted, as I understand it. Good to keep some things off the maps if you ask me... someone please tell strava that!

No Clue Crew
    Love the maps that highlight trails as you hover over them. Would be nice to have something like that that you can download to your phone for access in areas where data may be not available via cell towers.

Meatbomb
    Can you change the default from kilometers and meters to miles and feet?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Yes. I found it in Settings, after you login. There's a pulldown to change from metric to imperial.

The more I poke around on this site the more I like it. I did a full Strava purge to track rides, etc. without the timed segment stuff. You can add a trail to the site directly from Strava too, cropping a longer route to show what you need. For example, I transferred the Kaibab ride from this weekend, cropped out the Navajo Trail and added some info for it. Then repeated the same ride for the AZT passages 42/43.

I'm curious to know if other uses are able to see my rides on the 'ride log' tab & download the .gpx track for it? This feature can also be disabled. Not sure if a non-registered guest could do this or if you have to be signed up & following a particular person.

I'm using my mtbr handle if anyone wants to check out the routes.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not even registered and I can see them. Have to zoom in a decent amount before the lines showed up though. Not a regional number summary like Phoenix or Tucson, etc.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    If anyone else has been playing around on this site, the Brown's Ranch area could use some .gpx tracks. All the old trails from Pima/Dynamite were uploaded a while back, but since most, if not all of those no longer exist they have been decommissioned. I've ridden up there a bunch of times, but not enough to really know the place in & out. If anyone knows of an old P/D trail that is still in use, not modified in any way, the trail can be edited and un-check the 'closed - decommission' box. Rename the trail to the current name if it has changed. The decommissioned trails show as dotted lines on the map to help ease confusion. I'll try & put up a few of the Brown's Ranch trails that I have.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    It seems like this site is gaining more traction as the database gets more & more populated. The AZ map is looking pretty nice now. If you aren't aware, the system is based on user input & votes to get trails confirmed before the show on the map. To see a list of trails that are pending approval check out the confirm page.

Another nice feature is the ability to add photos/videos to specific trails. Click on the trail, then click the trail name on the popup window. This will open the trail specific page. From there anyone can make additions/changes to the description, difficulty, add photos/videos, etc.

I posted the Lake Pleasant trails the other day, still need some votes to get them published.

The PMP area could use a bunch of assistance, especially the west side of AZ51.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    We should all get used to metric... .its more European :| !!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post

The PMP area could use a bunch of assistance, especially the west side of AZ51.
    Shhhhh...Raybum doesn't want anyone else out there sniping at his KOM's!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Shhhhh...Raybum doesn't want anyone else out there sniping at his KOM's!
    That should be incentive enough to populate the database!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Pinkbike needs to get on their game with getting a mobile app. I've noticed that Trailforks has considerably more trails than MTBProject (which has an app), as Trailforks allows more user input, and therefore more "hidden" trails to be shown on the map.

Even MTBproject has been invaluable for learning the trails around Flagstaff. Not only because it shows you the trails, but it shows your position on them. There are lots of confusing intersections in this town.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    IMBA's MTB Project is coming along as well though it will never be complete because they confirm legality of all trails directly with the land manager before they are posted, as I understand it.
    They don't. I've been trying to get a trail description changed for a couple months because it implies it's OK to park in a place that will threaten the access. Which is on private land, with no formal agreement. It's on MTBProject, though.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Which parking spot is that, just so I know?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Which parking spot is that, just so I know?
    It's in Montana, so probably not relevant.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Saw this today, Trailforks has released their app. First impressions are good, I'll give it a whirl out on the trail this weekend. FREE too.

Trailforks app
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

Event Page Added

Another great feature has been added to Trailforks: Events

If you have one, know of one, etc. Put it in the system. All the EpicRides stuff is in there and I put a couple AES ones there when I was beta testing it. Plenty more to add!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Members who have read this thread: 7