Trail System on West Side of McDowells?- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

Trail System on West Side of McDowells?

Is there a decent trail system on the west side of the McDowell mountains? The only trail system I know of is on the east side -- McDowell Mtn Park. I've ridden those trails on and off for the past 10 years and honestly they are getting a little dull. Plus I always wondered why I drove so damn far when there has to be some good trails on the other side of the mountain.

So is there anything at all to be found on the west slopes? Or has Scottsdale allowed the developers to swallow every remaining ounce of desert that once was the McDowell mountains?

Thx...Doug

Skinny legged XC geek
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Is there a decent trail system on the west side of the McDowell mountains? The only trail system I know of is on the east side -- McDowell Mtn Park. I've ridden those trails on and off for the past 10 years and honestly they are getting a little dull. Plus I always wondered why I drove so damn far when there has to be some good trails on the other side of the mountain.

So is there anything at all to be found on the west slopes? Or has Scottsdale allowed the developers to swallow every remaining ounce of desert that once was the McDowell mountains?

Thx...Doug
    There are some trails over near McDowell Mountain Ranch, and leading up into Lost Dog Wash, both on the southwest corner of the range. SDBelt rides there as his backyard loop. There are one or more tough climbs that he likes.

DC Ranch provided a race venue in the fall, located just south of the Ranch's shopping center. Howrever, they made a big deal of it being private/closed, even to pre-riding; it was only open for the event. I know nobody who entered, so I have zero feedback on the course.

Did the light take a charge OK?

MTBR Tool
    I'll let Steve (AZClydesdale) chime in but suffice to say - yes there are some good ones. He took me on a ride in his back yard 2 weekends ago and it was very pleasant. I'm not entirely sure of my facts but if I recall correctly he said that they are planning to link the West side over to the East side - I'll let him elaborate/correct me when he eventually sees this message.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Is there a decent trail system on the west side of the McDowell mountains?
    No. However, there are a few o.k. trails. Wheels & Gear/Arizona Outdoor Adventure has a handdrawn map of some trails on the west side of the McDowells I'm sure they'd share with you. They're sending rentals up there, so it can't be too hard to follow.

Stop in sometime and they'll give you a map.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Steep Hill

... and if we just ... let's do a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    I'll let Steve (AZClydesdale) chime in
    Yep, SRexy and I road the lost dog wash a few weeks back. It was a fun ride except when I taco'd my rear wheel trying to keep up with Rex. Thanks for hanging with me, by the way.

So yeah, I ride this trail system all the time. There is another system currently closed by developers (@#$@%), south of DC ranch, and I will do another ride up there for posterity sake. Anyways, let's put together a day/night to ride the lost dog and a few side singletracks. Off now to Tuscon...later

Steve

Beyond the stars

I know this is a really old post, but I'd like to bring it back from the dead

Any new info on the West side of McDowells trails? any info on the connection to the east side of the Mt. ?

Any info on how to get to these trails? and what they are like?

Steep Hill

McDowell Mtn

Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    I'll let Steve (AZClydesdale) chime in but suffice to say - yes there are some good ones. He took me on a ride in his back yard 2 weekends ago and it was very pleasant. I'm not entirely sure of my facts but if I recall correctly he said that they are planning to link the West side over to the East side - I'll let him elaborate/correct me when he eventually sees this message.
    I've been on the down-low recently recovering from a torn rotator cuff tendon, fractured scapula and clavical. 5 weeks and no MTB, but it was a good time to put on road miles and finish up educational commitments. This weekend will hopefully be my return to MTB if the shoulder holds up.

Good News - the west side of the McD's have now opened to a epic singletrack leading into Fountain Hills. Take the Lost Dog wash past the lookout and stay on that rocky jeep trail. It will lead out towards 136th street and the newly connected single track that goes out past the gated community at the end of Via Linda. I have yet to be to the end of that singletrack, but it goes past the CopperWynd Road that is off Palisades Blvd in Ftn Hills. This trail has some monster climbs that make that lookout climb on Lost Dog look like a little bitty baby.
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

recovering roadie
    I saw that trail from the air as I was coming in from Denver today and it looks sweet. The whole thing. I was wondering if it was rideable...

Quote Originally Posted by AZClydesdale
    I've been on the down-low recently recovering from a torn rotator cuff tendon, fractured scapula and clavical. 5 weeks and no MTB, but it was a good time to put on road miles and finish up educational commitments. This weekend will hopefully be my return to MTB if the shoulder holds up.

Good News - the west side of the McD's have now opened to a epic singletrack leading into Fountain Hills. Take the Lost Dog wash past the lookout and stay on that rocky jeep trail. It will lead out towards 136th street and the newly connected single track that goes out past the gated community at the end of Via Linda. I have yet to be to the end of that singletrack, but it goes past the CopperWynd Road that is off Palisades Blvd in Ftn Hills. This trail has some monster climbs that make that lookout climb on Lost Dog look like a little bitty baby.

meow

McDowell trails

I'm a volunteer steward for the McDowell Sonoran Land Trust & Preserve. The plan is to build a connecting trail from the 104th St & Bell Rd trailhead that goes north around Horseshoe Mt.(just east of DC Ranch), and east up Wingate pass over to McDowell regional park. I am told construction on this trail will begin in the fall. This will probably be the only connection because of land ownership and right of way issues. Last winter Toll Brothers fenced that trailhead and all the access points to get into the Preserve, as they wanted to flex their development power muscles. Fortunately MSLT won that battle and the area is open again for riding.

The Sunrise Trail that was mentioned above was built in the early part of the summer, and will be officially open in October. It's a wicked climb, a few mildly technical spots, and a screaming downhill. This trail was built with MSLT money and couldn't have happened without the additional taxes that have been approved by voters over the years. Not to mention the many hours of manual construction and revigitation put into this project primarily by volunteers, many over 50 years old.

Enjoy the ride down!