mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Trail Suggestions

Hello Everyone,

I'm training for the Tour of the White Mountains race Oct 3rd. All my training so far has been 20-30 mile road rides. I live in Gilbert, AZ and I'll looking for a 15-30 mountain train that I can hit hard that's close by. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Cosmo

im4Gsus
    2-3 times around the long loop at MMP. mix it up with the sport and tech loops.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

oh Lucky me
    x2

you can also go out to the North side of I-10 around Tonopah/Buckeye/Goodyear and hit up the proving grounds. that road goes almost straight up near the top (from what ive heard) and if you can clear it a few times in quick succession i would imagine that would be like a 20-30 mile ride....
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocramer
    Gilbert, AZ ... that's close by
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    Tonopah/Buckeye/Goodyear.
    ???

EDR
    beat yourself silly on desert classsic, it's good for that at least, lol. If you try you can get a really good workout there, not that I'm into that sort of thing.

oh Lucky me
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    ???

yeah, im not really sure which its nearest....

head west on I-10 and you will come across some mountains to the north starting roughly in Goodyear and you will see a big scar going up the side of on of the mountains. thats the proving grounds climb for the big dump trucks that work in those open pit mines....
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Along the same lines as the MMP Long loop, Pemberton loop, just up the road, offers a 15.4 mile loop that would be easy to really push yourself on a couple of times.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    yeah, im not really sure which its nearest....

head west on I-10 and you will come across some mountains to the north starting roughly in Goodyear and you will see a big scar going up the side of on of the mountains. thats the proving grounds climb for the big dump trucks that work in those open pit mines....
    I think the point was the OP asked for trails near Gilbert and you directed about as far away as you could possibly get still in Maricopa County

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I think the point was the OP asked for trails near Gilbert and you directed about as far away as you could possibly get still in Maricopa County
    I should have used 4 question marks instead of three... my fault

I have heard of a trail system in the San Tan Mountain range... depending on where (South) in Gilbert you live this could be the closest trail system. However, I have never been there so I can't speak to its depth or ridability. Hawes might be the closest if you are in North Gilbert.

If you let us know your major crossroads we could get a better fix on what is closest.

My other ride is your mom
    Gilbert....just roll hawes with an out and back on twisted -wild horse to NRA and then back to finish the hawes loop....

I am Walt
    Cosmo:

Nothing close to you, so move.

If you choose not to move, try the following:
    - Hawes area: Hawes/Twisted Sister/Wild Horse to the NRA pit and back
    - SoMo: Desert Classic C2C2C, from the Pima Canyon TH
    - McDowell Mtn Park: Pemberton laps (boring) or Pemberton CCW to Coachwhip to Bell Connector to Prospector to Dixie Mine back to Pemberton

There ya go. See you in Pinetop...

waltaz - out
    Ride more; post less...

Ahhh the pain....
    Hard to beat the stuff in the McDowells....Wingate climb from the west side is 45 min of suffering... over the pass then up Bell pass for some more suffering...then back down to Prospector, Dixie Mine, Coachwhip, Windmill, and up the east side of Wingate and back down. If ya love switchbacks, the east end trail and Toms Thumb trails will keep you busy as well.

I agree with Waltaz... move from the flatland....

cheers...
    R

Members who have read this thread: 0