I love bike!

Trail recommendations near Kohl's Ranch (east of Payson)

I'll be up at Kohl's Ranch for a few days and have an opportunity for a couple rides while I'm in the area. Looking for some beta.

First idea was to drive over to Pine/Strawberry and do a Pine-Strawberry #15 > Bearfoot > Pine Canyon #26 clockwise loop. Was planning to park at the lot off FR297 and ride 87 to Hardscrabble Mesa Road to Pine-Straw TH. Anyone see any issues with this plan or have a better suggestion? I'm not in the best shape and will likely take it pretty slow but I'd say I'm in the 20%er range . I like tech but mostly coming down.

Any other suggestions for the Kohl's Ranch area? I've ridden some of the Highline trail from the 260 TH east to the top of the Rim, west along the Rim and down Drew back to Highline and east to the 260 TH. It was pretty fun. I liked the Drew descent and Highline heading east back to the truck. Didn't care much for the climb from 260 to get to the top of the Rim and the riding on top of the Rim to Drew (pretty uneventful).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Recommendations for Pine Highline area ...
    Highline 260 TH to See Canyon or continue to Derrick Trail and bailout there... you'll need to shuttle if you do this. A short 10 total mile ride is new trail from Washington Park riding east.. sweet trail .. work just got shut down due to forest closures. This is a 5 mile out 5 mile return but worth it... We just finished the final piece of trail on Pine Canyon and it is now rideable from one mile north of the Bearfoot Bridge to the Pine TH a distance of nearly 9 miles... On top of the rim toward the lakes the area around Carr Lake has lots of gentle trails however some logging may have impacted the area.

Just another half mile...
    In addition, there are the Cabin Loops up on the rim a little further east of the Carr lake trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90minIPA View Post
    A short 10 total mile ride is new trail from Washington Park riding east.. sweet trail .. work just got shut down due to forest closures. This is a 5 mile out 5 mile return but worth it...
    I had just asked about this section in the Beta on Payson area thread. Is the trail beyond the 5mi point impassable? Is the plan to keep working on it each season til it's done? Thanks for that update, very timely!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I assume you are talking about the Highline Trail going east from Washington Park? Last fall they completed approximately two miles of trail in both directions from Washington Park and 144 road... the plan was to push through and tie in the two sections this summer making for approximately 8-9 miles of new trail ... as I understand from talking with Dave Crosby from YRU they have about a mile to mile and a half to complete. The existing trail can be "ridden" to connect the two new trail segments but is heinous in sections...it can't be all that far distance wise because it is straight up and down drains as opposed to the reroute length ... but I haven't checked it all out..

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I had just asked about this section in the Beta on Payson area thread. Is the trail beyond the 5mi point impassable? Is the plan to keep working on it each season til it's done? Thanks for that update, very timely!
    I don't think this is the Highline trail. Isn't it a resurrected trail from years gone by? I heard work was being done up by Washington Park to get the AZT alignment off of the powerline corridor. Is this part of that trail work or something completely different? Paging 90minIPA....

EDIT...you were typing as I posted!! Thanks for the update.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here's a map of the Payson area trails and open spaces for some in town riding.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    I assume you are talking about the Highline Trail going east from Washington Park?
    Correct, this is the segment I was asking about originally https://www.trailforks.com/trails/hi...shington-park/

Is the 10 total mile ride you mention different from this?

I love bike!
    Recommendations for Pine Highline area ...
    Highline 260 TH to See Canyon or continue to Derrick Trail and bailout there... you'll need to shuttle if you do this. A short 10 total mile ride is new trail from Washington Park riding east.. sweet trail .. work just got shut down due to forest closures. This is a 5 mile out 5 mile return but worth it... We just finished the final piece of trail on Pine Canyon and it is now rideable from one mile north of the Bearfoot Bridge to the Pine TH a distance of nearly 9 miles... On top of the rim toward the lakes the area around Carr Lake has lots of gentle trails however some logging may have impacted the area.
    Thanks for the suggestions 90.

Sorry but I'm confused about the 5 mile out/back. Is this Highline #31 or a completely different trail? Is it marked? Never been to Washington Park so I'm not really sure what to expect. Is it a park or a small town/community? Would you recommend this over my Pine/Strawberry loop suggestion?

I like the 260 TH to See Canyon and maybe continue to Derrick suggestion. Was thinking I'd get to See Canyon and then assess my lack of fitness from there. Per TrailForks it looks like a pretty serious climb out of See Canyon right off the bat to get to Derrick but Derrick looks like a blast all DH so I definitely want to give it a shot.

I love bike!
    Thanks to the rest of you too for the suggestions. Keep em coming.