Trail POO- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trail POO

mtbr member

Trail POO

Ok, I realize all the trails in the Phoenix area are multi-use........hikers, bikers, and horse riders............but I have a little rant.

They have poo bags for hikers to pickup their dog's crap. Noone wants to see dog doo on the trail. I don't want to step in it or ride through it. Totally understandable. If I went to a public park and took my dog, everyone there would expect me to be courteous and pick up my dog's droppings as well.

Now in the case of horses it seems to be "ok" for them to just take a dump wherever and leave it. WTF?? Maybe I'm being a little insensitive, but I really don't like riding a trail, especially tight singletrack, and having to dodge huge piles of horse crap. I know it's mostly grass and this and that, but come on, it's crap! Why is it ok for the owners to leave the horse's crap on the trail? I'd prefer it to be a requirement that everyone using the trail system pickup ALL their crap..........whether it be a dog's, a horse's, or if they're out walking their pet Llama, pick it up too. If someone rode a horse down the street, would the city expect them to clean up after the horse? Or just leave it for the city to clean up.

Does anyone else feel that way too? Or am I just being insensitive........

pedaller
    I'd prefer it to be a requirement that everyone using the trail system pickup ALL their crap..........whether it be a dog's, a horse's, or if they're out walking their pet Llama, pick it up too.
    You forgot to include people poo too!

"Pack it in or pack it out!"
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Hawes Junkie
    I agree with you although I seriously doubt anyone (including the gov't) is going to force the horse riders to pick up after their favorite pets.
    I was out at Hawes on Sat and saw my first horse crap pile there and def rode around it.

If I can't take a dookie out at the trail and dog owners have to pick up, what makes the horse riders immune?

Braaaapp!
    If not picking it up, at least toss it off the trail a few feet.

mtbr member
    who picks up the little baggies that are left on the side of the trail?

mtbr member
    I have to disagree. Although I noticed a lot more horse poo around the Dreamy Draw area this past weekend, and discovered a nice "green" mud clod on my arm from the poo that was flung off of my tires. I would much rather ride through some poo, than wait for a horse rider to dismount on single track, pick up the poo, and then mount the horse and be off. Just think of how many complaints there would be of flow disruption if every horseman out there had to continuously stop and try to control their animals while cleaning up the poo? Sure I got some poo on my arm , but at least my pace was not disrupted.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

more beers, lees gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F
    who picks up the little baggies that are left on the side of the trail?

poo fairies?

Why bag it if you are not gonna trash it. I would rather see poo on the side of the trail al-naturale than see it in a bag on the side of the trail.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    Sure I got some poo on my arm , but at least my pace was not disrupted.
    I understand what you're saying, but just about everytime I find fresh manure on the trail, I inevitably find the horses and have to stop to let them by or slow down so I don't spook them.

I know nothing will ever be done, and it's more of a rant on my part than anything. But they do make "diapers" or "manure bags" for horses to wear. If all equestrians would just put one on their beloved horse..........problem solved. No more bunny hopping manure mounds or cleaning green smelly poo from the stitching of my camelbak with a tooth brush.

powered by ibuprofen
    Quote Originally Posted by adam728
    If not picking it up, at least toss it off the trail a few feet.

yep.
    people are self focused and lazy.
    ....what the hell you lookin' down here for?

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    I do have a concern about this but its not the piles of fresh horse poo that concern me.
    On trails that see lots of horse traffic the poo turns dust and then gets kicked up by our tires or even our shoes and you end up breathing this stuff sometimes its so bad you can smell the urine and poo in the dust...that can't be good.
    Darwin was an Optimist

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    Ok, I realize all the trails in the Phoenix area are multi-use........hikers, bikers, and horse riders............but I have a little rant.

They have poo bags for hikers to pickup their dog's crap. Noone wants to see dog doo on the trail. I don't want to step in it or ride through it. Totally understandable. If I went to a public park and took my dog, everyone there would expect me to be courteous and pick up my dog's droppings as well.

Now in the case of horses it seems to be "ok" for them to just take a dump wherever and leave it. WTF?? Maybe I'm being a little insensitive, but I really don't like riding a trail, especially tight singletrack, and having to dodge huge piles of horse crap. I know it's mostly grass and this and that, but come on, it's crap! Why is it ok for the owners to leave the horse's crap on the trail? I'd prefer it to be a requirement that everyone using the trail system pickup ALL their crap..........whether it be a dog's, a horse's, or if they're out walking their pet Llama, pick it up too. If someone rode a horse down the street, would the city expect them to clean up after the horse? Or just leave it for the city to clean up.

Does anyone else feel that way too? Or am I just being insensitive........
    poo is a natural trail feature and should be left undisturbed.

wretch
    nothing worse than the shite heads who bring the doggy bags and then leave said plastic doggy bag on trail.

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    nothing worse than the shite heads who bring the doggy bags and then leave said plastic doggy bag on trail.
    when I run my dog off-leash in the preserve on an non-system trail while following him on my big morewood, I always leave the little white bag near the trail to be picked up later - on the way out.

Salty Dog
    A recent study conducted by a private firm contracted through City of Scottsdale has determined the the most prevalent poo offenders are, in this order, (1)coyotes (2)javelina (3)desert tortoise (4) road runner (5) rabbits. Most dog poo is removed by owners. Most horse poo is smashed and thrown around by mountain bikers, and the occasional mountain lion poo is never seen until it's too late.

However, and this is the good news, in a recent Memorandum of Understanding, the Scottsdale Police Department and McDowell Sonoran Conservancy have decided to pontificate over the poo problem.

Budgeting is in place to purchase a poo sensing system, provided by RedFlex from Australia, that scans every trail during the day from a satellite every few seconds. When a pocket of pugnacious poo is detected a lazer beam is directed to that very spot and the portentous poo is evaporated. Funding for this system is the result of photo speed enforcement. Drive fast and get rid of poo. Do your part for us mountain bikers!

Yes, there is a danger involved here if a living thing happens to be investigating the poo at the time of evaporation. The evaporation method is not selective and the living thing will disappear into transparent cells along with the poo, never to be seen or heard from again.

Ok, I hijacked the thread, but dirthead said he was just letting off steam anyway.

NO, I am not serious about this. YES, it's a joke.
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Just Joshin' ya!
    Horse poo only contains vegetable matter, breaks down quickly, rarely, if ever contains disease, and provides the benefit of fertilization. Once cannot say the same at all about dog poo, which is one justification for letting horses be.

Since it is harmless, and not practical to pick up (poo catchers for horses are no good unless you have a buggy or carriage) and provides some benefit, why not leave it on the trail?
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Meatbomb
    hire clowns to scoop up the poo like in the parades .

dirt visionary
    My problem is with human poo on trails or right next to them becuase a rock was perfect for a seat.....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

more beers, lees gears.
    what we need, is some vaPOOOrize

A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    Since it is harmless, and not practical to pick up (poo catchers for horses are no good unless you have a buggy or carriage) and provides some benefit, why not leave it on the trail?
    Non-native plants is one reason. Equestrians are the ultimate in no-reponsibility. Please get hell out of the way of my horse! How dare I pass you and you just sit there off the trail quietly. Please speak to my horse so he's not scared! You need to give him at least 20 feet in all directions in case he spooks! How dare you ride within 100 feet of my horse!

I see it all the time, the most irresponsible trail users by far, the trail damage out here speaks for itself usually, but taking responsibility for their poo would be a step forward, although with the most irresponsible trail group I doubt it would ever happen.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    If you stack the poo, like a poo tower, I wouldn't mind it as much.

Orange Yeti 575
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    I agree whole heartedly. I can't figure it out. It can only be that people really do think someone comes along and picks them all up. Blows my mind.

Then there are orange peels all over the place that are bio-degradeable strictly speaking but last for years in our dry desert. It is litter too. That is my second biggest litter pet peeve. I spent 15 minutes at the top of Bell Pass a couple of weeks ago picking up two or three oranges worth out of cactus and all over the lookout point up there.

mtbr member
    I have yet to see someone hiking along with a full poo bag after rover dumped on the trail, but I always see them set nicely along the trail, maybe they do have good intentions of picking the bag up after their hike but what if they don't? Do they think park personnel will do it for them? What a joke....

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F
    I have yet to see someone hiking along with a full poo bag after rover dumped on the trail, but I always see them set nicely along the trail, maybe they do have good intentions of picking the bag up after their hike but what if they don't? Do they think park personnel will do it for them? What a joke....
    Same people who think someone is gonna come along and pick up their goo wrapper after a race maybe.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Members who have read this thread: 0