Trail Ettiquette, Part 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Trail Ettiquette, Part 2

alright, i am ready to send elbows flying. why is it you GUYS(yes, it is ALWAYS guys)do not announce yourselves when passing me? about the time your front tire is beside me on the trail i get startled by your presence, right next to me, and i about have a heart attack. is it too much to ask you guys to say,'passing on your left(or right)' before you get that close?

my friend DJRider got a warning on todays ride, he was ahead of me, but the guy passing did not say one word to me. is it what DJ said, that he is bigger than i am so he presents more of a threat if run into? sure, i am not that big but jeez, it would be really nice if you guys would show some respect. oh, and next time, if startled, my arm just might fly out to the side by 'reflex.' sorry if it hurts.

thank you for your time. rant over.

Rita

Jm.
    mtbr member
    there's too damn many riders down there...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

freak of nature

It's all about the manners...

I guess their mothers didn't teach them all they needed to know, eh? I just wanted to let you know that as I was reading your post, my partner came in and she said, "It sounds like something I've wanted to say many times."

So, you are not alone. Let 'em know how you feel.
    may your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. may your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    -edward abbey

Occidental Tourist

ding ding

OK my turn - If you're going to stop on the trail, please move to the side. I was down in Tucson riding this weekend and encountered two groups hoggin the whole trail on their breaks and Rita you'll be happy to know I even used my bell to let them know I was coming. Both groups were polite and even apoligized so all ended well

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crash test dummy
    OK my turn - If you're going to stop on the trail, please move to the side. I was down in Tucson riding this weekend and encountered two groups hoggin the whole trail on their breaks and Rita you'll be happy to know I even used my bell to let them know I was coming. Both groups were polite and even apoligized so all ended well
    Damn..I woulda just killed them and stole their powerbars.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Damn..I woulda just killed them and stole their powerbars.
    Yea but no shovel and I didn't want to litter - course yotes gotta eat too..

freak of nature

Wink Maybe it was a "locals -only" thing...

CTD-

maybe they were letting you know that since you don't live here anymore, they aren't going to move for you and your 'hooked on phonics" arse. sorry.

i am not excusing their behavior, but i can understand their disdain for you.
    may your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. may your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    -edward abbey

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by hcooper
    CTD-

maybe they were letting you know that since you don't live here anymore, they aren't going to move for you and your 'hooked on phonics" arse. sorry.

i am not excusing their behavior, but i can understand their disdain for you.
    I think they mistook me for you and wanted to see you puke...hey now thats a way to clear the trail - puke on em. I ended up just riding from the Inn out to the Pass for the loop. I did the connector behind Tumamoc, looks like it hadn't been ridden by anyone in months and love the blading they did along the base for the gas line between that and the new hotel and holes I pretty much felt like puking....

freak of nature

growth for the sake of growth...

no kidding! they are sure doing a number on that area. it is all in the name of old affluent white guys who prefer to chase a little white ball around in the grass. last time i rode back by camino de oeste near the stone house, i almost launched off a 20 foot drop where they cut into a bank, leaving the trail without an end.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

a bit OT...

Quote Originally Posted by hcooper
    no kidding! they are sure doing a number on that area. it is all in the name of old affluent white guys who prefer to chase a little white ball around in the grass. last time i rode back by camino de oeste near the stone house, i almost launched off a 20 foot drop where they cut into a bank, leaving the trail without an end.
    what is up with AZ being in a drought and unchecked building of golf courses that require god knows how much water to keep the greens green? every time i drive by Pinnacle Peak i want to puke remembering how they destroyed a great trail to put that d@mn golf course in. i think i hate golf courses more than horse dung in the middle of singletrack. and i really hate horse poo on singletrack.

Rita

freak of nature

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by zer0
    what is up with AZ being in a drought and unchecked building of golf courses that require god knows how much water to keep the greens green? every time i drive by Pinnacle Peak i want to puke remembering how they destroyed a great trail to put that d@mn golf course in. i think i hate golf courses more than horse dung in the middle of singletrack. and i really hate horse poo on singletrack.

Rita

rita-

remember cattle in the desert is better than developments and i think the same goes for horses over jeeps and golf courses. anyway, i happen to like horse poo in the trail. it's so squishy and smells like the earth...mmmmmm...
    -edward abbey

Jm.
    mtbr member
    what is up with AZ being in a drought and unchecked building of golf courses that require god knows how much water to keep the greens green?
    Rita
    wait till you see what's up with california and all the cities going far into the forested land.

yeah, phoenix doesn't quite make sense either....

caninus xerophilous

I say this is not Minnisota ot Florida.

Rita

I was up in PHX this weekend and as usual I looked on in dismay at all the golf courses and thought the same thing. Just as bad are all the grass lawns and non native trees and shrubberies that festoon the streets and housing development in the Valley. Unfortunately the developers discovered Tucson in the 90's and the two cities have gotten into a war to see who has the most golf courses but at least Tucson limits the non native/non drought tolerant foliage. Oh, I almost forgot Valley and all its "lakes" that give the walled housing developments their tacky names.

Who will pay prime dollar to live in the desert with a green lawn and pines around a man made lake in which to float their boats. Same folks that complain about gas prices as they commute in their H2's.

Louis