mtbr member

Trail Etiquette Question

Ok, what's the right move when a runner wants to pass you while you're both going uphill?

Yes, I'm man enough to admit this happened to me today. Was at the base of the short, steep hill on T100 heading east, when I saw a large group of runners. I took off, but at the top of the short climb, one of the runners was about half way up the hill and gaining on me. I figured I could drop him during the flat parts, so I took off and road as hard as I could. I assumed I did indeed drop him, but about 100 feet from Conversation Point, I heard some heavy breathing behind me. Hell no I was not going to let him pass, so I kicked it into overdrive and beat him to the top. What motivated me was to pretend he was a blood sucking zombie.

Quite a humbling experience, but man that dude was fast. I was averaging at least 9 miles an hour up that damn hill.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Disgruntled Peccary
    Would you block someone on a bike from passing?

Same thing.
    mike

aka Diesel
    Survival of the fittest. If he could pass you, he would have. If he couldn't, I'm sure you still served as a great bump to his run. As an avid runner (esp trail running) I know I love to set goals and die trying. So long as you didn't BLOCK him when he COULD have passed you, then it's all good. You both got a good workout from it.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dysfunction
    Would you block someone on a bike from passing?

Same thing.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't really sure...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Survival of the fittest. If he could pass you, he would have. If he couldn't, I'm sure you still served as a great bump to his run. As an avid runner (esp trail running) I know I love to set goals and die trying. So long as you didn't BLOCK him when he COULD have passed you, then it's all good. You both got a good workout from it.
    Yea, I figured I was pacing him. To be honest, I didn't think he could keep up, and was totally surprised when I got near the top to hear him still behind me. I definitley didn't not block him.

Meatbomb
    Don't forget to throw that elbow when the chance arises.

Disgruntled Peccary
    You'll note the word 'block'

anything else is good ol' competition..
    mike

mtbr member
    If I'm stopped and someone is approaching, I usually just give them right of way, since they are already moving and I would have to start, unless I'm absolutely certain I can stay ahead of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Got a suspension fork
    Hey skinny, did the guy gaining on you have a young hot brunette thang running close behind him? If so it's the same blood sucking zombie that passed me on the way to CP last week!

Tucson, AZ
    As an active cross country coach, I give you permission to even toss some elbows. We (I am a trail runner) could use the practice. In other words, don't let anyone pass you without a fight!

Meatbomb
    a nice reminder that elbows can go both ways...

bring it

Need more cowbell
    This is is a perfect example of why I hate zombies....they can run faster than I can ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    If I'm stopped and someone is approaching, I usually just give them right of way, since they are already moving and I would have to start, unless I'm absolutely certain I can stay ahead of them.
    He was a good 50 yards behind me when I started, and he was part of a large group (I think they run T100 every Tuesday). I knew if I waited, I'd have to let the entire group go, and likely have to wait to give them a head start since doubtul ALL of them were faster than me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Hey skinny, did the guy gaining on you have a young hot brunette thang running close behind him? If so it's the same blood sucking zombie that passed me on the way to CP last week!
    Not sure. As soon as I saw him, I took off and didn't turn around. I only realized he was behind me by his heavy breathing (I kid you not).

AKA shitbird
    I once stabbed a runner with #6 allen wrench. Not because she was in my way but because she was faster.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    As an active cross country coach, I give you permission to even toss some elbows. We (I am a trail runner) could use the practice. In other words, don't let anyone pass you without a fight!
    In all seriousness, if I felt I was impeding his progress, I would have let him pass, no problem. I really pushed myself up that hill, and I figured I dusted him. I was completely surprised when I got to the top, and he was right behind me. I didn't time it, but it was easily a 5-minute mile, if not faster.

Pablo Escobar
    I was passed going up that hill by a female jogger and thought damn, but I will catch her after I get done resting under this scraggly bush, again.
    I never seen her again and didn't think of the elbows.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I once stabbed a runner with #6 allen wrench.
    I think you mean trident.......

parenting for gnarness
    about 20 miles into the Crazy 88 i hung out behind this hiker cause she had a really nice butt. and she was going faster. and then i got all nervous cause she was hot and fast and I didn't think i could drop her and i got even nervouser - it was a vicious cycle. then these creepy bony shirtless dudes in speedos came the other way and my eyes started bleeding. True story.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Too many Sedonuts...
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    about 20 miles into the Crazy 88 i hung out behind this hiker cause she had a really nice butt. and she was going faster. and then i got all nervous cause she was hot and fast and I didn't think i could drop her and i got even nervouser - it was a vicious cycle. then these creepy bony shirtless dudes in speedos came the other way and my eyes started bleeding. True story.
    ROFL.

Dude I thought you quit drinking...

-JB
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Saucy Size
    Rubbin' is racin'. Swap paint with those runners.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    He was a good 50 yards behind me when I started, and he was part of a large group (I think they run T100 every Tuesday). I knew if I waited, I'd have to let the entire group go, and likely have to wait to give them a head start since doubtul ALL of them were faster than me.
    That group is called AZ Frontrunners. They run T100 from Dreamy Draw every Tuesday at 6pm.

The one who passed you is most likely a guy named Fernando. Did he have a dark complexion? Fernando is descended from a tribe in Mexico that is known for being long distance runners. I'm blanking on the name. He runs about a 2:30 marathon. If it wasn't him, there are a few other guys in that group who are also strong runners, though not quite as fast as him!

"No Clue Crew"
    I waved at you but you never waved back! Me and my buddy were like WTF! And she was HOT!

My other ride is your mom
    The truth comes out....now I know how I was able to gain on you on that stretch....I ignored the temptation and kept driving....but was equally creeped out by team anorexia running east on 418.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    That group is called AZ Frontrunners. They run T100 from Dreamy Draw every Tuesday at 6pm.

The one who passed you is most likely a guy named Fernando. Did he have a dark complexion? Fernando is descended from a tribe in Mexico that is known for being long distance runners. I'm blanking on the name. He runs about a 2:30 marathon. If it wasn't him, there are a few other guys in that group who are also strong runners, though not quite as fast as him!
    Honestly, I didn't get a good look at him. As soon as I saw the group approaching me, I took off, and didn't turn back around.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Ahh, good stuff! So many great lines from that movie....why don't you back to your home on whore island?!
    JRA

How do I do that?

You must be talking about the Tarahumara's. Read about them after watching the Daily Show last month.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...pher-mcdougall

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Ahh, good stuff! So many great lines from that movie....why don't you back to your home on whore island?!
    What movie are you talking about?

How do I do that?
    Ron Burgundy I think. I love a good comedy but that one didn't really do much for me

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I plan to go for a trail run this afternoon on either TRW or Hawes. If you see me coming, PLEASE go ahead and take off on your bikes. Trust me, I will NOT be catching you!

In the rear with the beer

!
    I've come across that group before, and yes, I'll admit i've been caught by some of them on climbs. Than again, I'm a fat a$$, so getting caught by runners should be no surprise.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

I love bike!
    Don't know how many times i've purposely slowed to ride behind a hottie jogging up SOMO Such beautiful sights! Not that I could stay ahead of them anyways

"They've done studies you know. 60% of the time it works every time."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    You must be talking about the Tarahumara's. Read about them after watching the Daily Show last month.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...pher-mcdougall
    Indeed, you are thinking of the Tarahumaras. They are native to Copper Canyon Mexico and have been known to run over 100 miles in a day. Their method of hunting, is to jog with the animal or deer until it has to stop from exhaustion. F**** hardcore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The problem with most runners is that they don't have rear derailleurs to kick in.

mtbr member

NardoSS
    He was probably using you as a rabbit thus you were helping him. It's easier for him to get going on a climb if he stops soooooo, why stop for a runner? I catch cyclists going up nat and mormon when I do the quick loop on foot from home. Conversely, don't expect him to stop when you want to blow past him on a down hill. Payback.

If someone wants to pass me on a climb and I'm hella workin' it then they have to earn it.

mtbr member
    As long you don't break his stride or pace, try to smoke him.

mtbr member
    You should always let the runners pass on the climbs and later, when you catch
    back up, stay behind them and start chanting (in time with their stepping):

Runnin through the desert with my M-16
    I'm a mean motor scooter
    I'm a U.S. Marine
    If ya see me comin you better step aside
    Cause many men didn't and many men died
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    When he can catch up to you without all that heavy breathing, then he will be in great shape!

im4Gsus
    ...Hell no I was not going to let him pass, so I kicked it into overdrive and beat him to the top...
    ah, testosterone in action. i'm so glad i'm a girl.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    ah, testosterone in action. i'm so glad i'm a girl.
    I'm confused.

im4Gsus
    I'm confused.
    ask your wife, she'll explain it 2 u.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Just use COMMON SENSE. Not so common these days... It sounds like you did just fine. if someone is on your tail and they wanna pass and can pass they should tell you "on your left" Common sense and common courtesy usually does the trick. it goes both ways.

b7

mtbr member
    Skinny you did perfect. Now I am not posting about any one person or thing here, but... I think if someone (hiker, horser or rider) would like to pass from behind be it up, down or flat, they should relay thier desire to move around me with a bell, whistle, or shout. I am not from the future and am not a mind reader. I also don't have a rear view mirror. And you know what- neither does anyone else. I only say this since I heard a group of riders I tagged onto *****ing about some hikers who did not move when they were coming. I then piped up and said "Yeah, but you never asked them to move, are they supposed to read your mind and know what you want and when?" It's human interaction- it is free, and it is a good thing. Making it worse is newer bikes are quieter (especially SS) so lots of other users may not hear you coming until they hear you panting! For those who run, hike or ride with earbuds blasting whatever- if I signal and get no response I may just blow your doors off so don't be upset!

Telegraph your move and then the ball is in the other users court.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    Indeed, you are thinking of the Tarahumaras. They are native to Copper Canyon Mexico and have been known to run over 100 miles in a day. Their method of hunting, is to jog with the animal or deer until it has to stop from exhaustion. F**** hardcore.
    Sounds like Tarahumaras dude was waitin' for skinny-tire to keel over on T100.

mtbr member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner

Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means "A Whale's V*gina"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0357413/quotes
    -MitchB

_____
    Jul 2007

I'm late to this thread. I just saw it.

I ran into these guys last Tuesday night too. They were all hanging out at the saddle on T100 above Dreamy Draw when I came across them talking and looking like they were waiting for someone. I turned off T100 at the saddle and headed SE continuing my climb on the switchbacks that head to 8 or 1A (never sure which one I'm on). Anyway, I get to the switchbacks when the dark skinned Fernando guy passes me with the rest of his group several seconds behind him, They were not moving when I went by them but it seems they decided to race me up the hill. I don't mind being passed on an uphill by a runner (there are lots of hills that I can carry my bike up faster than I can ride) but I didn't want to have to try to pass the whole group back when I hit the fast single track downhill. Fortunately, the rest of the group didn't catch me and that Fernando guy left me and the rest of his group in the dust. He turned to a higher trail and left me to bomb the downhill in peace.

Maybe they are hunting?

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2

Maybe they are hunting...
    ... mountain bikers.

Members who have read this thread: 0