Trail conditions for Tucson/Phoenix, 21-26 Jan- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Trail conditions for Tucson/Phoenix, 21-26 Jan

I'm on a road trip and have my bike, and have just arrived in Tucson. I have 21-22 Jan to ride near Tucson, and 23-26 Jan near Phoenix.

Home is Austin area. Lots of rocks and punchy but not long sustained climbs. We basically don't ride during/after rain. Not sure what happens here. Can some friendly locals tell me what the situation might be with the recent/future weather? Thanks in advance and I hope I'm not shit out of luck!

I had pegged Star Pass / Robles as what seems a good challenge for my skill level. I am happy with easier rides if scenic, and Sweetwater and 50 Year were on my list. I don't particularly want to do trails that are mostly very technical. Similar logic applies to Phoenix.

mtbr member
    Ride sweetwater. All of it. Rain doesn't really effect it.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    For PHX, the forecast is showing showers on Monday afternoon/evening. So, Mon during the day should be fine anywhere. Maybe check out S. Mtn or Hawes on Tues. Then by Wed. I would think everything else would be dried out enough to ride.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the replies. Hawes and South Mtn were on my list, so that might be my Tuesday. I rode all of Sweetwater this afternoon. First time for me amongst such flora and much fun was had!

mtbr member
    So Mtn should be fine on Tuesday. That area does well in the wet.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You coming back through Tucson on your way home? Friday there is a local weekly ride on Milagrosa. Stick around an extra day and you will not be disappointed!
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm at LAX now, was on a one way road trip on my way home to Australia. Sad to be leaving the trails behind, Oz just doesn't have what Arizona, Colorado, etc has.

Ended up doing a Robles/Star Pass loop. Got some cholla experience when I elbowed a big cactus next to the Explorer trail as I was struggling up a steep climb with head down. Weirdly, I enjoyed it. Found it funny. Beer Garden was my favourite section of trail.

In Phoenix I started with South Mountain.
    I'm not an advanced rider, was stoked I gave National trail a shot, as I was a bit hesitant. Desert Classic out, mostly hiked up Telegraph and National to near Holbert intersection. Can any bastards ride that stuff? Rode most of it clean from there, but chickened out on Waterfall and then took the easier way down Mormon.

Next day Hawes system (managed 3500 ft climbing according to my generous Garmin). Then an easier (albeit some climbing) last day at Sonoran Desert Preserve.

Had an absolute blast. I hope you appreciate what you have. My only disappointment was not seeing a rattlesnake. Never saw one in Texas either.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonz View Post
    I'm at LAX now, was on a one way road trip on my way home to Australia. Sad to be leaving the trails behind, Oz just doesn't have what Arizona, Colorado, etc has.

Ended up doing a Robles/Star Pass loop. Got some cholla experience when I elbowed a big cactus next to the Explorer trail as I was struggling up a steep climb with head down. Weirdly, I enjoyed it. Found it funny. Beer Garden was my favourite section of trail.

In Phoenix I started with South Mountain.
    I'm not an advanced rider, was stoked I gave National trail a shot, as I was a bit hesitant. Desert Classic out, mostly hiked up Telegraph and National to near Holbert intersection. Can any bastards ride that stuff? Rode most of it clean from there, but chickened out on Waterfall and then took the easier way down Mormon.

Next day Hawes system (managed 3500 ft climbing according to my generous Garmin). Then an easier (albeit some climbing) last day at Sonoran Desert Preserve.

Had an absolute blast. I hope you appreciate what you have. My only disappointment was not seeing a rattlesnake. Never saw one in Texas either.
    The rattlers go into hiding (for the most part) during the Winter here. Come back in April and the place will be crawling.

Hope you had a safe trip home!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...