Trail 100 Time Challenge- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

Trail 100 Time Challenge

I stumbled on Mike's MTBikeAZ Helipad TT challenge and think it's really cool (even though I'd be nowhere near the guys with the top times - well done guys!)

While the HeliPad TT is a quick 10 minute or under Time Trail challenge, do you have any interest in setting one up for Trail 100 between the Dreamy Draw parking lot coming in near the 51 from Northern, riding to the lot on Tatum - the "Trail 100 Highway" and back again. This would be something over 7 miles, don't have the exact number off hand, and the entire time to complete the ride would be counted, not just riding time.

Might be fun to see how people turn in times for a ride like this.

Hell yeah lets do it, if so please leave a note - otherwise this idea will die a quick death.
    Last edited by randyharris; 09-23-2009 at 03:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Why not have one up Shaw Butte? I think there might be too much bike/foot traffic to do what you are proposing, it might get ugly. There is a ton of traffic on Shaw, but a TT up it would have the rider going much slower than going from DD to Tatum.

Got a suspension fork
    I dunno, I ride it several times a week and when I ride early there is hardly anybody out there.

btw - I'm not talking about a mass start race style event, but something were we each would ride it ourselves and then consolidate results online - racing against the clock.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    I like the idea but have to agree with the post above... having people racing/hammering on T100 is a recipe for disaster. The end right up to the Tatum lot is full of blind corners, I have almost hit other riders/walkers while being careful.... Maybe at least end the run at the bench above that decent?

Maybe instead of doing a one off site create a Phoenix trails, on your honor, TT site? One with various trials?

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpowers
    I like the idea but have to agree with the post above... having people racing/hammering on T100 is a recipe for disaster. The end right up to the Tatum lot is full of blind corners, I have almost hit other riders/walkers while being careful.... Maybe at least end the run at the bench above that decent?

Maybe instead of doing a one off site create a Phoenix trails, on your honor, TT site? One with various trials?
    Good ideas, but I'd rather have it run to the bottom of the ascent towards Tatum - before the tight tree covered area.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    I dunno, I ride it several times a week and when I ride early there is hardly anybody out there.

btw - I'm not talking about a mass start race style event, but something were we each would ride it ourselves and then consolidate results online - racing against the clock.
    I ride it three times a week (well I actually tend to do off shoots as well as parts of T100), its quiet from 5:30 to 6:30 but then its starts picking up and by 7 its pretty busy. Too busy for "hammering with your head down" IMO.

Were you out there yesterday by chance? It was like the entire population of Sun City was out!
    Last edited by jdpowers; 09-23-2009 at 03:56 PM.

May 2009
    Good ideas, but I'd rather have it run to the bottom of the ascent towards Tatum - before the tight tree covered area.

That would work, just avoid that last leg and you should be okay. Problem would be finding a solid marker, that's why I suggested the bench but it does cut out the second largest climb/decent in the route suggested.

Got a suspension fork
    I ride it three times a week (well I actually tend to do off shoots as well as parts of T100), its quit from 5:30 to 6:30 but then its starts picking up and by 7 its pretty busy. Too busy for "hammering with your head down" IMO.

Were you out there yesterday by chance? It was like the entry population of Sun City was out!
    I wasn't out yesterday but had a light on my helmet Monday morning, took off ~ 5:30AM, DD to Tatum. Generally I ride a lot of the offshoots, 1A, 8, 302/304 etc.. But that would be ridiculous for a TT challenge, nobody would know where the heck to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You know you could do this going west from Dreamy Draw... hardly any folks in that direction. And there are some nice hills going that way including the widowmaker.

mtbr member
    I stumbled on Mike's MTBikeAZ Helipad TT challenge and think it's really cool (even though I'd be nowhere near the guys with the top times - well done guys!)

While the HeliPad TT is a quick 10 minute or under Time Trail challenge, do you have any interest in setting one up for Trail 100 between the Dreamy Draw parking lot coming in near the 51 from Northern, riding to the lot on Tatum - the "Trail 100 Highway" and back again. This would be something over 7 miles, don't have the exact number off hand, and the entire time to complete the ride would be counted, not just riding time.

Might be fun to see how people turn in times for a ride like this.

Hell yeah lets do it, if so please leave a note - otherwise this idea will die a quick death.
    Wait, from DD to Tatum and back is only 7 miles? Are you sure about that?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Probably a hair over that, when I'm in a hurry I'll ride under the horse tunnel and that little loop that hooks up to the main T100 about a half mile in from the sidewalk, out to Tatum and then straight back to the parking lot at DD (I don't come back on the loop I do at the beginning) and it is about 7.6 miles on that ride... so I assume just a hair over 7 without any offshoots.

Here is my ride from Monday AM, just as described above, you can see it was 7.63 miles.

Last edited by randyharris; 09-23-2009 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Probably a hair over that, when I'm in a hurry I'll ride under the horse trail and that little loop that hooks up to the main T100 about a half mile in from the sidewalk, out to Tatum and then straight back to the parking lot at DD (I don't come back on the loop I do at the beginning) and it is about 7.6 miles on that ride... so I assume just a hair over 7 without any offshoots.
    Actually, you're probably right. I've been riding from 32nd to 40th to Tatum to the bottom of the short steep hill just before DD, and then back up the hill down the Zipper and then back to 32nd St. That's 8+ miles. Why did I think 7 miles one way?

Personally, I think if you're going to do a TT, I'd go one way, from DD to Tatum, with a staggered 5 min start. And screw the hikers. The PMP is big enough for both of us.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I was wondering that myself. Isn't 7th Ave to Tatum 11 miles total? And I thought Dreamy Draw was about half-way, but maybe not.

May 2009
    Probably a hair over that, when I'm in a hurry I'll ride under the horse trail and that little loop that hooks up to the main T100 about a half mile in from the sidewalk, out to Tatum and then straight back to the parking lot at DD (I don't come back on the loop I do at the beginning) and it is about 7.6 miles on that ride... so I assume just a hair over 7 without any offshoots.
    It's more like 7.5+ or so if you start at the parking lot (DD to Tatum and back all on T100) but pretty close.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy
    I was wondering that myself. Isn't 7th Ave to Tatum 11 miles total? And I thought Dreamy Draw was about half-way, but maybe not.
    Ya 7-8 from DD to Tatum and back. I think Kavu and I recorded that a few times.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Instead of from DD to the Tatum lot and back, a TT could be done up 1a from the trail that runs parallel to the 51, up to the dreamy draw climb, up the switchbacks to the bench. I think that would be 10-15 mins, and almost all uphill. I almost never see anyone climbing 1a in that area, and the switchbacks are clear the majority of the time. The dd climb has quite a bit of traffic, but it's manageable.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

Pablo Escobar
    Maybe it should start all at once .....megavanche style .

Last edited by Azufa; 09-24-2009 at 08:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This is coming from a guy that puts in 150+ miles a week on T100 at various times of the day and night.

I think a T100 TT is a great idea but I'll restate what has already been said. DD to Tatum would be highly dangerous because that part of the trail is heavily populated by Q-tips and headphone wearing princesses. Randy, just because you are able to do your run during off hours doesn't mean Joe Hammerhead is able to. Joe Hammerhead will show up Saturday at 9am hell-bent on beating the best time and hammer his head into someones chest.

The previous suggestion of ... 51 - 1A - T100 - 1A - Bench would be a great spot especially if the route goes all the way up 1A (over the boulder) then down to T100 DD climbs then to 1A to the bench finish.

Anywhere in the area east of 7th Street Vistor Center and West of DD would be ideal. Less populated and the hikers/runners there are very bike savy. They know the line you want through the junk and let get to it. Plus it includes The Monster aka The WidowMaker. I call her the Monster when I'm climbing her. Also could include Disneyland.

I'm also game for a TT up Shaw Butte. it is actually easier to ride now than it has been in quite a while because there are a few smooth lines through the marbel sections and various new small asphalt toppings through out. Looking to beat my own personal best soon.

Good idea Randy ... just have to be logical about the where to Hammer.

Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SSAZ69
    Anywhere in the area east of 7th Street Vistor Center and West of DD would be ideal. Less populated and the hikers/runners there are very bike savy. They know the line you want through the junk and let get to it. Plus it includes The Monster aka The WidowMaker. I call her the Monster when I'm climbing her. Also could include Disneyland.

This is my vote... mainly because that's my fave section of T100 and it is usually dead. Disneyland is the only part I have trouble with... I call that hill/small mountain the MoFo. I have only recently been able to ride it down. There is a small tree at about half-way that I got to know really well last year. I have yet to clean it going up... I'm not convinced it's possible.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Probably a hair over that, when I'm in a hurry I'll ride under the horse tunnel and that little loop that hooks up to the main T100 about a half mile in from the sidewalk, out to Tatum and then straight back to the parking lot at DD (I don't come back on the loop I do at the beginning) and it is about 7.6 miles on that ride... so I assume just a hair over 7 without any offshoots.

Here is my ride from Monday AM, just as described above, you can see it was 7.63 miles.

This is the way to do it, anyone anywhere pick a challenge doing the ride and recording it on a GPS. Post the ride with the challenge name and link so we can upload it to our GPS and when time permits each person does it when they want to and post it (this will also help others know exactly which route you take). I currently have lots of T-100 rides posted on garminconnect.com with some of them being my personal race times to challenge myself later. I would like to compare with others to see how I stand up. here is one I did that is just T-100 from Tatum to Mountain View park (aka; Duck park, for you old timers like me) https://connect.garmin.com/activity/11436225
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Got a suspension fork
    I don't ride the section between 7th St and the 51 often, which hills are the tough ones you guys are referring to by name?

There is a big climb out of the DD lot starting at the end of the tunnel under the 51 as you climb up, then I'm thinking of another section that is really step with some rocks to navigate around, you can keep descending or stay right and loop around. Sorry for the poor description.

Maybe a Phoenix Mountain Preserve Challenge that has a few different segments that could be individual challenges as well as looking at them in total for a overall time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This map has some of the names marked...

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=8

EDIT: I believe the section you described is Disneyland. There is a turn to the right that loops around the mountain... marked as 100A. It's a pretty long loop. I usually take it as my way back to Dreamy Draw rather than hike-a-bike up that big rocky hill.

And I don't mean the band

New question here. coooool

What GPS is this, it has a heart meter and everything built in it?
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

BLAWG

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen
    What GPS is this, it has a heart meter and everything built in it?
    I have a Garmin Edge 305, but I don't care for the Garmin Training Center software and import my data into RubiTrack instead of GTC. I've tried many different GPS activity programs (Mac and PC), this one won me over. It's not as full featured as ones like say SportTrack and Ascent, but far prefer using it overall.

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy

This is my vote... mainly because that's my fave section of T100 and it is usually dead. Disneyland is the only part I have trouble with... I call that hill/small mountain the MoFo. I have only recently been able to ride it down. There is a small tree at about half-way that I got to know really well last year. I have yet to clean it going up... I'm not convinced it's possible.
    This one does sound good - that hill is pita... haven't made it more than about half way up, but the section isn't as populated. You could even do just Cave Creek to DD as the section from 7th st to Cave Creek does get some traffic.

How do I do that?

Mandatory Equipment for T100 between DD & Tatum

TDD to Tatum would be highly dangerous because that part of the trail is heavily populated by Q-tips and headphone wearing princesses.
    Ain't that the truth.

Don't laugh, but this little thing has been the best $10 I've spent at REI for my daily rides between Tatum and DD. I got tired of the mostly ineffective excuse me's and coming up on the left's since a lot of them can't hear me over their music.

I guess they hear the bell a lot better then my winded voice.

Randy, like these guys mentioned, west of the DD might be better for your TT's. Now that it's getting cooler, the trails are only gonna get more congested. Add that to folks trying to better their time and it sounds like a recipe for a disaster.......or at least some minor frustrations from being held up or something. I started heading out west past the DD recently and it's definitely a lot less crowded then the east side.

Nevertheless, personally I'm in no shape to have a TT quite yet. Heck, I'm not even close to making it up widows peak or that Disney Land area without having to hike it

BTW, was that you that flew by me wearing a neon yellow shirt during your Monday ride?

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Ain't that the truth.

Don't laugh, but this little thing has been the best $10 I've spent at REI for my daily rides between Tatum and DD.

BTW, was that you that flew by me wearing a neon yellow shirt during your Monday ride?
    HA! hey I bought that exact same Incredi-Bell at REI a month ago, more for my occasional Desert Classic runs than DD but it is awesome, it alerts people that your coming far sooner than you could otherwise alert them. Only I have mine mounted on the right side of the bar, and the lever pointed down not up.

And yes that was me in neon yellow on Monday, not sure about flying by you... But that was me. I ride a Hei Hei 2-9, white at the rear and fades to silver up front. Shout out at me next time. I'll be there tomorrow AM for a 5:30AM ride, ditto Sat.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Now that it's getting cooler, the trails are only gonna get more congested.
    I was out both Tuesday and today during the AM. I parked at Tatum, first car there, when I returned 1.5 hours later I was still the only car there. The trails were empty this morning.... and it was really nice out. I found it odd as I have never been the only car there once I am done with my ride, now it has happened two days in a row?

Got a suspension fork
    I was out both Tuesday and today during the AM. I parked at Tatum, first car there, when I returned 1.5 hours later I was still the only car there. The trails were empty this morning.... and it was really nice out. I found it odd as I have never been the only car there once I am done with my ride, now it has happened two days in a row?
    I saw two cars there this morning in the Tatum lot, a Masarati Quatroporte and an SUV, I hope you were driving the sedan!

May 2009
    I saw two cars there this morning in the Tatum lot, a Masarati Quatroporte and an SUV, I hope you were driving the sedan!
    Unfortunately, the SUV is/was me. That Maserati would look nice with a bike rack on it though!

Got a suspension fork

Got a suspension fork
    Here is a proposed Time Trial Stage #1.

I am going to try to ride tomorrow AM before I head to LA for the weekend, if able I'll record that stage and post a Google Earth link to it, or at least a GPX file which can be opened in Google Earth.

Click on the image for full size.
    Last edited by randyharris; 09-25-2009 at 08:22 PM.

I don't see why anyones making a fuss about doing a TT anywhere on the trail. It's not like a mass start or a continous rider after rider going out. do any trail at your time of day and post it and when others get a chance they go. if you choose to try this during high traffic then expect delays and a slower time on any part of the trails.almost all my riding on the Phoenix Preserves are after 10pm so I never have hiker issues but I do have coyote, rabbit, snakes and darkness issues. adds a little more fun. Also, ALL of trail 100 going from east (tatum) to west (Mountain Veiw Park) is ridable. going west to east is very tough and though I don't know anyone personally who has ridden it all going that direction I'm sure there are people who can.
    With this I start the challenge of an entire trail 100 east to west. I posted it up earlier
    ( http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11436225 )
    01:04:17
    Distance: 10.72 mi
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    I really am liking this idea. And I like the blogspot for keeping track-thanks!

Now I need to figure how to load things into my Garmin. I use a forerunner since I am cheap and I can't seem to break it yet.

A far as traffic. Treat it like a race folks. For those wo may have never raced: You should always race and give yourself as much advantage as possible. This means preparing by eating right, pre-running the trail to learn the ins and outs, and making sure your bike is ready. This type of open course TT requires one more thing- planning the best time to go! I appreciate the concerens for hikers and the consequences of running into them for us two wheeled users- but anyone who would sacrifice a blue hair for a better TT time in a non sanctioned, between friends race is an idiot who would run down hikers and horsers anyway- TT or not.

The valley's bike community needs more like this and the Tempe races. I just spent a week in Eugene Oregon this summer with my bike and the sense of community between the riders was awesome with regular ride in movies at a local park etc. I loved it up there and found that hippies are good for something!

Can't wait until my MTB makes it home from the tour rigs so I can do this TT!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Got a suspension fork
    Here is a proposed Time Trial Stage #1.

I am going to try to ride tomorrow AM before I head to LA for the weekend, if able I'll record that stage and post a Google Earth link to it, or at least a GPX file which can be opened in Google Earth.

Click on the image for full size.
    So I didn't make it out for a ride Sat morning, decided it would make for too long a day going to LA and all. Had a nice ride on T100 last night starting from 7th Ave.

Tomorrow morning I'm planning to record the proposed TT stage from DD on the GPS and get something posted.

Some people have expressed an interest in adding a Shaw Butte DDTT, who is going to volunteer to record it on their GPS and shoot me the GPX file?

Got a suspension fork
    Ok guys, a Challenge has been thrown down!

This is TacoBeer's TT, the Full T100 from Tatum to 7th Ave.

All the details are here:

http://dreamydrawtt.blogspot.com/200...rial-east.html
    Last edited by randyharris; 09-28-2009 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Ok guys, a Challenge has been thrown down!

This is TacoBeer's TT, the Full T100 from Tatum to 7th Ave.

All the details are here:

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to technology. Any recommendations for software I can use with my GPS unit: Forerunner 205. That Rubitrack looks like it's for Mac. I have a PC.If I get a wild bug up my ass, I was thinking of trying T100 from DD to Tatum and back today.

Got a suspension fork
    I'm pretty clueless when it comes to technology. Any recommendations for software I can use with my GPS unit: Forerunner 205. That Rubitrack looks like it's for Mac. I have a PC.If I get a wild bug up my ass, I was thinking of trying T100 from DD to Tatum and back today.
    Garmin Training Center you should have, another popular one is SportTracks.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Good job TacoBeer. I did the Tatum to MVP TT last night. I finished about a minute ahead of you but I have to scratch my time. I realized i didn't finish the route correctly. I went down by the ballfields instead of up and around to the trail sign/sidewalk like you did. I likely saved a few minutes on my route so your time still stands. It was a blast ... finished about 9:30pm...very few on the trail the entire out and back route. SS 29r 32x18 Fully Rigid

FYI to those not familiar with T100 West ... If your bombing down a service road west towards 7th Street your not on T100 anymore. The trail turns left and goes through a tech section I call Double-Whammy. That turn is easy to miss if your hammer'n.

After TOWM and Dust Devil MMP I'll give it another go and do Randy's 1A route also...I love those 1A climbs.

Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    FYI to those not familiar with T100 West ... If your bombing down a service road west towards 7th Street your not on T100 anymore. The trail turns left and goes through a tech section I call Double-Whammy. That turn is easy to miss if your hammer'n.
    I call that section Rock City for obvious reasons. But I like Double-Whammy too... good name. It used to be my most dreaded section of T100, but I kept at it until I really started to enjoy it. The first time I cleaned it, I cried a little.

Looking forward to doing this TT!

Good job TacoBeer. I did the Tatum to MVP TT last night. I finished about a minute ahead of you but I have to scratch my time. I realized i didn't finish the route correctly. I went down by the ballfields instead of up and around to the trail sign/sidewalk like you did. I likely saved a few minutes on my route so your time still stands. It was a blast ... finished about 9:30pm...very few on the trail the entire out and back route. SS 29r 32x18 Fully Rigid

After TOWM and Dust Devil MMP I'll give it another go and do Randy's 1A route also...I love those 1A climbs.

Dave

Fully rigid? you did better than me anytime. When I did this route it was the first time in a very long time and I remembered they change the trail at MVP when they added the feilds so I went with whatever trail I seen so the last 1/3 mile if off a little. What really hurts is that I have to ride trail 100 out to Tatum to start, then race back and then ride home. Makes for a good night of riding.

Got a suspension fork
    OK guys, I rode it this morning and just posted Dreamy Draw TT2. I deviated a little from the proposed route a couple of days ago - this one should be even easier to follow at the get go.

My time is nothing to brag about, good or bad it's posted for you to beat.

I'd like to enlist somebody to come up with TT3 that includes Widowmaker, if you're interested, send me a GPX or TCX file of the exact TT you're proposing.

TT4 I think should be Shaw Butte, ditto - if you've got the legs and lungs, record it on your GPS and send the file over.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I really like how you did Dreamy Draw TT2. I'll be at T100 tomorrow or Thursday and will try to do that one. Good job on the website by the way! I also have something in mind for the Widowmaker. I'd like to make it an out and back, maybe starting from the exit of the tunnel under the 51 (or somewhere close to that). You descend a fairly nice hill before climbing Widowmaker. I don't know the name of it, but I will call it "Ball buster", since I've managed to rack myself twice while climbing it. Anyway, maybe an out and back where you climb both and descend both, starting and ending at the same spot? Thoughts??

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    I really like how you did Dreamy Draw TT2. I'll be at T100 tomorrow or Thursday and will try to do that one. Good job on the website by the way! I also have something in mind for the Widowmaker. I'd like to make it an out and back, maybe starting from the exit of the tunnel under the 51 (or somewhere close to that). You descend a fairly nice hill before climbing Widowmaker. I don't know the name of it, but I will call it "Ball buster", since I've managed to rack myself twice while climbing it. Anyway, maybe an out and back where you climb both and descend both, starting and ending at the same spot? Thoughts??
    Thanks, and I like the plan - well except for the racking my balls part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would help with the route set-up but I dont have a GPS. I like the idea of an out-n-back widowmaker.

I have a score to settle with Shaw Butte. I have a personal record dating way back to the early nineties. The road up was in much better condition then but its time I set a new personal best. There is a clean line up the initial marbles now.

Tacobeer ... I'll have to join ya on one of your 10pm rides some night. I live at 15th Ave & Northern and typically ride to the 7th Ave trail head then head out. I generally ride early in the morning (5:00am) but occasionally do a night ride. I like how your GPS map route shows the end...Taking the trail to the left just before the dike. Much better way to finish then heading over the dike and then down along the ballfields like I did.

mtbr member
    Did Dreamy Draw TT2 (1A) this afternoon. File submitted to Randy. Very fun! Can't wait to do one with Widowmaker and Ballbreaker.

Got a suspension fork
    Tacobeer ... I'll have to join ya on one of your 10pm rides some night. I live at 15th Ave & Northern and typically ride to the 7th Ave trail head then head out.
    I'd love to join for that ride, I'm also near 15th Ave & Northern.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Randy -

How about a few gnarly TT's for the gravity boys and girls? I think we got the XC thing covered, with one exception of Zipper. We *need* a TT loop that includes Zipper (I'll have to think about this one for a bit).

For the gnarly stuff, one good TT might be an end-to-end Hairball run that starts at the *top* of the switchbacks on the 302 and drops to the bottom of the mountain. That hill is a b!tch for most people...and has plenty of areas to cause significant bodily harm. We could have some great stories on that TT.

Another fun gnarly TT would be an up/down route that starts at the 1A/VOAZ intersection, goes up and over VOAZ, down the back side of Cheesegrater, loops around 1A, and ends back where you started at the 1A/VOAZ intersection.

One last idea would be a Trail 8 loop. Start at T100 on 8, go up 8A, the up 8B to the A&W house, up and over the switchbacks to the "40th St Side" of 8, and down 8 (lots of potential for damage here!). The ride up 8 can be a HAB, so maybe the route could start off the 100/1A intersection instead of 8 proper. Or you could tie this into the VOAZ loop and make it one big TT.

Anyway, just thought I would throw out some ideas for some areas that would make these time trials "interesting".

Thx...Doug

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Randy -

How about a few gnarly TT's for the gravity boys and girls? I think we got the XC thing covered, with one exception of Zipper. We *need* a TT loop that includes Zipper (I'll have to think about this one for a bit).

For the gnarly stuff, one good TT might be an end-to-end Hairball run that starts at the *top* of the switchbacks on the 302 and drops to the bottom of the mountain. That hill is a b!tch for most people...and has plenty of areas to cause significant bodily harm. We could have some great stories on that TT.

Another fun gnarly TT would be an up/down route that starts at the 1A/VOAZ intersection, goes up and over VOAZ, down the back side of Cheesegrater, loops around 1A, and ends back where you started at the 1A/VOAZ intersection.

One last idea would be a Trail 8 loop. Start at T100 on 8, go up 8A, the up 8B to the A&W house, up and over the switchbacks to the "40th St Side" of 8, and down 8 (lots of potential for damage here!). The ride up 8 can be a HAB, so maybe the route could start off the 100/1A intersection instead of 8 proper. Or you could tie this into the VOAZ loop and make it one big TT.

Anyway, just thought I would throw out some ideas for some areas that would make these time trials "interesting".

Thx...Doug
    Doug you're a madman! I rode way up that 302/304 trail the other day, all those big steps and steep loose shat, haha and you want that for time. Funny. I'm not familiar with the VOAZ. I'm happy to include a Gravity TT - you sound far more versed in that style of riding in the DD area so if you'd like to take the task of setting it up, I'd be honored to include it.

edit: Hey I found that VOAZ trail, it's on this map just north of Squaw Peak. http://tinyurl.com/ykrr2mt
    Last edited by randyharris; 09-29-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Doug you're a madman! I rode way up that 302/304 trail the other day, all those big steps and steep loose shat, haha and you want that for time. Funny. I'm not familiar with the VOAZ. I'm happy to include a Gravity TT - you sound far more versed in that style of riding in the DD area so if you'd like to take the task of setting it up, I'd be honored to include it.

edit: Hey I found that VOAZ trail, it's on this map just north of Squaw Peak. http://tinyurl.com/ykrr2mt
    Yes, Hairball is a beatch of a hill...and I'm not very fast at it. Lots of MTBR folks ride that trail (and many are faster than I am), so hopefully will see this and post up a GPX of the trip down. But as I mentioned, turning that downhill into a time trial definitely ups the ante a bit...especially for slow "line pickers" such as myself.

VOAZ is a great trail...pretty challenging climb that connects into Cheesegrater, which isn't a very steep hill but it's intimidating with the chunk you have to roll through.

Anyway, I thought I would mix it up for those who prefer the tech stuff.

Thx...Doug

I would help with the route set-up but I dont have a GPS. I like the idea of an out-n-back widowmaker.

I have a score to settle with Shaw Butte. I have a personal record dating way back to the early nineties. The road up was in much better condition then but its time I set a new personal best. There is a clean line up the initial marbles now.

Tacobeer ... I'll have to join ya on one of your 10pm rides some night. I live at 15th Ave & Northern and typically ride to the 7th Ave trail head then head out. I generally ride early in the morning (5:00am) but occasionally do a night ride. I like how your GPS map route shows the end...Taking the trail to the left just before the dike. Much better way to finish then heading over the dike and then down along the ballfields like I did.
    Do you ride up Shaw Butte on a S.S.? if so what gear as I know I don't think they make a big enough rear cog for me, I'll have to try it sometime. my best years back on a geared bike was less than 16 minutes of almost all granny gear. I do ride up North Mountain a lot which is easy on a 32x19t but since bikes are not allowed I only ride it late nights when there are no people. I would like company on the trails, I am not riding much or fast right now as I am saving myself for the Towm but after I usualy ride every other night.

mtbr member
    Randy -

How about a few gnarly TT's for the gravity boys and girls? Thx...Doug

well Doug, if you want to go this route then one needs a Goat Camp TT and an Alta TT
    b

Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    Do you ride up Shaw Butte on a S.S.? if so what gear as I know I don't think they make a big enough rear cog for me, I'll have to try it sometime. my best years back on a geared bike was less than 16 minutes of almost all granny gear. I do ride up North Mountain a lot which is easy on a 32x19t but since bikes are not allowed I only ride it late nights when there are no people. I would like company on the trails, I am not riding much or fast right now as I am saving myself for the Towm but after I usualy ride every other night.
    I did Shaw Butte 2 weeks ago on my 29'er SS -- 32x20 gearing...and it hurt. But...I was able to ride/clean it the entire way up with one exception -- that loose *steep* third bump/hill. I got about 2/3 the way up the steep part (right about where that metal pipe crosses the road) and I bailed. I had to get off and walk about 50' and was able to continue grunting my way to the top.

Shaw Buttw is much more "enjoyable" on a geared bike.

Thx...Doug

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    well Doug, if you want to go this route then one needs a Goat Camp TT and an Alta TT
    No doubt.

But this website is for the PMP area only. I figured why make this just an XC thing...let's throw in some gnarly stuff and get all the boys and girls involved. Plus it mixes things up a lot. There are lots of people on MTBR who I can beat on the XC stuff...who would in turn smoke me on the DH stuff. That would give me some goals to help build my skills on the DH. Makes the effort all that much more fun.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My Shaw Butte record is 16:47 from 1993ish on a geared bike.

About a month ago I did 19:21 on a 26" SS with 32x18. "Walked" a bit in the same spot by the metal pipe. Walked ... more like face plant !!! Some German tourist were coming down the clean line and weren't budging. I had to go to the outside through the rubble and over the pipe. The pipe is at an angle and my rear tire spun across it and cause me to flip over the handlebars. WTF...How do you flip over the handlebars climbing a 20 percent grade? Thats how ... ughhh Oh well, gave the Germans a funny story to take home.

Now I'm riding a 29r 32x18. After TOWM I'll try with the 32x18 and see where I fail and adjust my gear accordingly. Then I'll go for the 16:47 time.

Tacobeer ... sounds like a few would be interested in joining you for your late night runs.

mtbr member
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15043799

Gave it a shot today. good fun. thanks tacobeer for being the green arrow on my garmin. you got me by a couple minutes and i cheated on downhill from downtown lookout to 7th St. (unintentionally of course...) your one quick dude on a single speed at night. nicely done my friend. thx to all for getting this posted

randy, do you have enough info on the garmin page for the blog?

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    With this I start the challenge of an entire trail 100 east to west. I posted it up earlier
    ( http://connect.garmin.com/activity/11436225 )
    01:04:17
    Distance: 10.72 mi

Tacobeer, I'm going to run the TT1 Full T100 tomorrow morning, but I can already see by looking at your GPS file that I'm not going to match your pace. You're a good 2 to 3 minutes faster than me just from Tatum to DD parking lot. Are you riding a single speed or geared?

Got a suspension fork
    Well TacoBeer's unofficial time for TT1 is safe from me today.

I took off from the Tatum lot around 5:30 this morning and was actually within seconds of his time to the sidewalk at the DD parking lot. But just before I got to the lot I got a rear flat... And all time is considered in these events, so I added over 10 minutes changing out the tube and getting ready to roll, and the next section going west from DD towards Cave Creek I was feeling the burn, had a tough time getting through those hills in that section, after the visitors center it was heavy with hikers so I wasn't pushing quite as hard as I may have liked.

I also miffed the ending just a little bit, there is a big water drainage thing and I went to the right of it now I realize in looking at the GPS file that I needed to go to the left of it. Next time.

My riding time was about 5 minutes longer than TacoBeer's, but with the flat I was over 15 minutes longer when considering total elapsed time.

Man I was spent too, that was a brutal return trip to Tatum after finishing the TT. I'd love to get dropped off at Tatum next time and do a 1 way.

But like Arnold once said, I'll be back (to tackle TT1 another day.)

Fun!

edit: Oh yeah, here's the GPS info.
    Last edited by randyharris; 10-03-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Now that the white mtn event is over I can give my time a go again. Should I change the ending by taking the little hill over the damn? (going right). seems everyone keeps doing that.

Got a suspension fork
    Taco, your original route is the official TT1, I don't know that my Garmin 305 shows me the way to follow a route and I'd never ridden over there before so I was just following the T100 signs, and I had to guess at the very end, but as I follow your file in a map we should all be going to the left of that damn (uphill side) then turning right where the two trails meet.

Made it to the top of Shaw Butte today in 14:54. But...I have no proof. I lost my GPS

Taco, your original route is the official TT1, I don't know that my Garmin 305 shows me the way to follow a route and I'd never ridden over there before so I was just following the T100 signs, and I had to guess at the very end, but as I follow your file in a map we should all be going to the left of that damn (uphill side) then turning right where the two trails meet.

I hope everyone is taking the stairs down to the volley ball court/ parking lot at DD lot and not the ramp, the stairs are a must on this route.

14 minute ride up to the top of Shaw butte is a great time, one I hope to match one day. last Thursday night I tried riding up Shaw Butte Mtn on my SS 32x19t 29er and failed. It's been awhile but the ride up is easier now that they black top a few parts of the road. I will give it a go again in a 20t gear after I try my T100 route again. I may try it tonight.

Whats the saying? a bad day biking is better than a good day watching TV? I attempted to do T-100 last night and had a few issues. just as I was rolling up to Tatum I hit a rock that ripped a knobby and I flatted. the good about it was that I was able to put a tube in using the street light on a flat surface. the bad, I never could air it up enough (my pump sucks) So i figured I will try to beat my time anyways and headed off, just when I got around 40th street mile post I realized I forgot to turn my GPS on. so I kept on going with a low pressure tubed tire hoping not to pinch flat. cacluating how long it took in the past to get from tatum to 40th St I was able to beat my time by five minutes but it's not official at this point and I'll have to try it again. My SS needs serious work now and I will take it to the shop for a good overhaul. Bottom bracket is shot, wheels are grinding & untrue, tires are now ripped up and the brake pads are almost to the metal not to mention the brake cables are stretched and frayed. I neglected my baby long enough and last two rides she told me so.

Got a suspension fork
    Made it to the top of Shaw Butte today in 14:54. But...I have no proof. I lost my GPS
    Sorry to hear you lost your GPS, that's terrible.

But people - please don't think you have to have a GPS to submit times to the Dreamy Draw TTs, it's great if you can include a GPS file but it's not mandatory.

Now for the Shaw Butte TT, this one and a couple others aren't setup yet so I'm not accepting times for them yet. But as soon as they're up go for it, GPS or not.

Got a suspension fork
    TT3 Shaw Butte climb Time Trial is now setup.

Ride your heart out, or at least until you cough up a lung.

Enjoy
    Last edited by randyharris; 10-16-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Got a suspension fork
    All be damned! TacoBeer with SS in the shop rode the TT1 Trail 100 East to West today on a geared bike and beat his old record... What is the world coming too?

Oh and he is really putting the pressure on us, he cracked the 1 hour mark.

Did the Shaw Butte time trial this morning in 14 min 19 sec. I pushed it as hard as I could...and damn near ended up puking the Cheerios I had for breakfast. That was 30 seconds faster than last time...and oh did that hurt.

Thx...Doug

Got a suspension fork
    VERY impressive.

Be sure to submit.

Got a suspension fork
    Hi all,

There was a mandatory change in TT2 course, the park service people got rid of the small section of trail that the TT started on, so I moved it ever so slightly.

If you're already run it, please re-run if you like so you have a time on the official course - what better opportunity to improve your time. And if you are still lurking - come on out, just a little friendly competition on a fun section of trail.

Cheers.

mtbr member

Shaw butte TT

I'm gonna take a crack at TT3 about 9ish on Monday morning, it might be cheating, but a little head to head competition always helps make me go faster. Could even leave 5 minutes apart for the TT purists. I'll head over to DD park and back afterwards.

Unfortunatly I won't be able to check the forum all day sunday or monday morn, e-mail me if your interested ajmelin@yahoo.com

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    I'm gonna take a crack at TT3 about 9ish on Monday morning, it might be cheating, but a little head to head competition always helps make me go faster. Could even leave 5 minutes apart for the TT purists. I'll head over to DD park and back afterwards.

Unfortunatly I won't be able to check the forum all day sunday or monday morn, e-mail me if your interested ajmelin@yahoo.com
    (I know not likely) but if you're interested in 5:30AM I'm down with my maiden voyage up Shaw Butte on a bike. Just can't go later than that with my schedule.

mtbr member
    Unfortunatly no, 9 is about the earliest I can muster on Monday. I didn't know people really woke up at 530am.

Depending how it goes, and if my time is competitive, I'm in for Tuesday AM.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Unfortunatly no, 9 is about the earliest I can muster on Monday. I didn't know people really woke up at 530am.

Depending how it goes, and if my time is competitive, I'm in for Tuesday AM.
    Wake up is 4:40AM, trailhead is 5:30.

Got a suspension fork
    Today was my daughters birthday party, and after eating too many Costco croissant sandwiches and 3, yes 3 pieces of birthday cake I was feeling that even my 10 minute stint in the Jumpy was not going to come close to making things right again.

So off for a ride I went after things settled down. I started riding from my house, it's 4.5 miles to DD parking lot, and on the way I thought 'hey, why not try TT1 again'. So I toned down my speed, and gingerly went up the hills to Tatum once I hit T100. After a leisurely 50 minute ride to get to Tatum, aka T100 East, I took a minute to rest and hydrate and set off on my next T100 East to West adventure.

Things were going good, I matched my previous time to the sidewalk, with no flat this time, never having ridden down stairs I wussed out and walked my bike down the stairs to the parking lot (I know, I know, got to get over that issue.) Kept chugging along the trail, when I got to Disneyland and riding down that steep dusty Chute part of the trail all that heavy braking knocked out a thorn that had been sticking in my tire for two weeks now. I know this because Caffelatext starting spurting out of the hole as I descended. My thought was - damn it, this stuff doesn't work! But wouldn't you know, it kept spurting out foamy stuff for just a little bit and then presto it was sealed. (I'm using it in a tube.) That saved me a 10 minute tube changing adventure and my sanity - I would have lost it if I blew another attempt at this TT because of another flat tire.

I was feeling pretty good, last time I attempted the TT I kind of hit the wall at about Widowmaker and just never really recovered. Felt better this attempt.

When it was all said and done I managed a time of 1 hour 05 minutes and 27 seconds. 14 minutes better than the last attempt, 10 minutes better from not having a flat, and an actual riding time improvement of 4ish minutes. I managed to climb several spots in the rankings and feel great about it! Not sure I'll ever breach the 1 hour mark without doubling my time in the saddle, but a boy and his bike can dream right.

For anybody who's following this thread and isn't yet participating, please do. There are three TT's setup now, have some fun, try it solo, bring your buddies - most importantly ride and have fun.

Here's my ride details exported from rubiTrack, and on EveryTrail.com.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the reminder! I'm going to go after the shaw butte record. I think that Doug guys been on top too long Hehe....

Tiff

mtbr member
    I got 3 hours away from the wife and kids this AM so I thought I'd give the east to west T100 time trial a go. I figured 1 1/2 hours to get to Tatum, 1 1/2 hours to do the course, and get back to the car. Perfect timing. I almost dislocated my shoulder patting myself on the back. I parked at the church at 8th ave and began my ride over to the Tatum trail head 1/2 hour later than I had hoped.
    Uh-oh. Better kick it into high gear getting to Tatum
    I met a nice guy on the trail who was visiting from Colorado. He told me how impressed he was with the PMP trail system, nice to hear since the national forest is his back yard.
    Once I got to the Tatum trial head I realized that the tiny quaker granola bar I stole from my son's lunch box wasn't going to be enough fuel for my fat 250 pound body. Uh-oh
    To make matters worse, it was the first thing I had eaten and it was 12:30. But I'm going for it...
    I pull up the course on my GPS, and away I go! Tacobeer's arrow is nowhere to been seen on the screen (yeah, I'm kicking his @ss!). Oops, he just blew by me. Crap.
    To make a long story short, I was just east of the 12th street lookout, before heading down the little hill that precedes what some call double whammy, and my f-ing GPS beeps "virtual partner is finished with the course". Holy balls!, this was his 1:05 pace, not his quickest. I plod on, and just as i'm rounding the cornerbefore the horse stables at The Point, my rear tire gets a flat (which is totally weird, because I'm running extra thick tubes w/ slime). Well, my 3 hours away from the fam has turned into almost 4, and miraculosly, as I'm patching up the tire, (which got what looks like a pinch flat on the inner diameter) my wife calls. THANK GOD. I'm needed at home ASAP. So I finish the fix, and high tail it back to the church, and home.
    No finish=no official time, but what a great way to spend some time. I cleared some parts of the trial I hadn't been able to before, but still only got up widowmaker to the swichback before having to bail, and hike.
    Next time I'll take better nutrients, or park at DD. Or both.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Gave it my first shot today on the TT1. I guess getting H1N1 and the holidays ruins fitness levels. First try: 1:07:41 We'll see if I can whittle more time away for my next attempt next Saturday.

mtbr member
    Anyone know how far it is from cavecreek to dreamydraw on t100?

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunion
    Anyone know how far it is from cavecreek to dreamydraw on t100?
    3 miles.

Ok, I gave Shaw butte a try again today but on the single speed. I'm still not in great shape but I am very happy with the time concidering, I rode SS 29er 32x20t and took 19.02. I still had to do a short walk on two sections but the first one I should have been able to ride. I guess it's a good indicator that I need to ride more. I'll submit the offical time on your website today.

Members who have read this thread: 0