Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towm

mtbr member

Towm

I got tricked into signing up for this today. Anybody else doing it? It's easy, right? Is it possible to start tapering before actually training? And why is there a picture of my abs over there? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

How do I do that?
    I'd go see a doc if your abs look like an Evinrude outboard. What is this Towm you speak of?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    I'd go see a doc if your abs look like an Evinrude outboard. What is this Towm you speak of?
    It was suppose to be TOWM (Tour of the White Mountains): http://www.epicrides.com/towm/towm.htm

How do I do that?
    Oh man, that looks like alot of fun. You doing the 65 mile trip?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Oh man, that looks like alot of fun. You doing the 65 mile trip?
    Yes, I was told that was the easiest. I was also told it's easier on a SS too.

mtbr member
    It is easy... the 65... on a singlespeed... make sure you pedal fast though to beat the afternoon thundershowers...

mtbr member
    Define "easy". Does that means its not very "technical", or there's not much "climbing", or you won't "Get Lost", or its easier than going 100 miles?

How do I do that?
    Hmmmm, in case you can't beat the rain, you might want to try it in one of these.

The orange one might be best since it's a single speed. There seems to be a gripshift on the silver one so that may not be the recommended route for your 65 mile journey

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    Define "easy". Does that means its not very "technical", or there's not much "climbing", or you won't "Get Lost", or its easier than going 100 miles?
    It means these guys are liars, or at the very least big jokers (okay, they could just be sick in the head). This is the real deal, last year not many finished the 60+ mile ride because the rain started around 1pm. Also the elevation gain advertised was way lower than actual as was the distance which was much longer. It was super fun though. I did the 30 which was over 37 miles. The word easy does not apply. Not sure if I’ll do it this year. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    It means these guys are liars, or at the very least big jokers (okay, they could just be sick in the head). This is the real deal, last year not many finished the 60+ mile ride because the rain started around 1pm. Also the elevation gain advertised was way lower than actual as was the distance which was much longer. It was super fun though. I did the 30 which was over 37 miles. The word easy does not apply. Not sure if I’ll do it this year. Good luck.
    WTF? Seriously? I was told it was going to be a walk in the park. You mean I was lied to?

mtbr member
    No.. you were not lied to, it is easy... walk in the park is a good description. I didn't get rained on at all last year and I did the 65 (or67, 68, 69, who's counting) ss (I pedaled fast because I was scared of the people behind me)... much easier than the whiskey... I think that orange bike above would be perfect... just do it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've always wanted to do this ride, but haven't really had the moxy to sign up.. I'm thinking of doing the 35mi option, or should I just go all out and do the 65mi option and just try to prepare as much as I can for it?? Any advice, or should I just do laps around the parking lot and call it a day?
    “Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    In all seriousness... this is an EXCELLENT event if the weather holds out. This is also an Excellent first time long event... the support is fantastic, and the course is actually a lot of fun, without being too brutal. There is some climbing, but not any really long steep climbs.

The course starts out climbing gradually for the first half... actually kind of rolling but you are gaining elevation.... then there is a nasty hike a bike, only about 1/8-1/4 mile long, then it is mostly super fun downhill until about 10 miles out... then a couple of short climbs, then rolling back into the venue area. This is a very oversimplified description of the course... you can see what I am talking about by looking at the elevation profile.

For a first time endurance event... it is PERFECT! The trails are fun... a lot of the climbing in the middle of the race is on dirt roads so it makes it a little easier, and it is just an all around good time with a bunch of really fun people. I say just do the 65.... prepare as much as possible... eat gus and stuff at least every half hour or so... and have fun!

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006

i've ridden it twice...

and it was my first endurance race of any sorts. i rode the 35, i mean 30 the first time and rode 40 (i think) the second time. it is an awesome race for anyone. it is VERY well supported and at each stop they have TON"S of goodies to eat and super helpfull people. i would recomend it to anyone.
    i rode ss the last time and had a great time! just count on doing extra miles, they are NEVER what they say they are.

mike
    SKA Racing, beer and bikes. What more could you ask for?

Actually, the first part of the 65 miler was really easy on an SS last year. Most of the climbing is on dirt roads and is such a shallow grade I was often spinning out (32x17 - 26er). There were some ridiculous climbs later that I was walking - along with the gearies. All in all it was an OK course. Some really great sections, but some really uninspiring sections as well. The last 20 miles or so was pretty technical and was much fun - until it rained.

Get done before the rain.
    If you get caught in the rain, pick up and carry your bike before it gets clogged with 20 pounds of peanut butter-like soil. It took us an hour or more to do the last 2 miles in the rain since we had to literally drag our bikes to the finish. It is a fun day on the bike if you miss getting caught in the rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well count me in for this year! I've always wanted to try this event, Ima gonna go for the 65mi option even tho I will prob be dead by the end of the event. I've read some of the previous post on this and it sounds like a lot of fun. I've been training a bit on my roadie but im gonna switch that up to prep for this. Thanks for all the advice and words of encouragement! I might have to bring a case of blue moon or golden draak for post ride recovery!
    “Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

aka Diesel
    This was my first endurance race last year, which I did geared. And because of the pace I was pushing, it was HARD (I advise stopping to Gu, more than once), but relative to some of the stuff I've done since, I'd say this is easier than most.

However, I'm doing it (what else but) SS this year, so... we'll see how that changes it up. But as everyone said, if you do the longer mileage, you better hustle, because once the rain comes, it's all over.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

parenting for gnarness
    were it not for The Mothership, all hope would have been lost.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    were it not for The Mothership, all hope would have been lost.
    the mothership was almost lost...

Tucson, AZ
    Those SS riders should also take a gander at this race too, same day, all the funds go to help the trails in Prescott rather than paying people to put the race on. Tough decision, although the charity + small sized race has me leaning toward Prescott.

Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Those SS riders should also take a gander at this race too, same day, all the funds go to help the trails in Prescott rather than paying people to put the race on. Tough decision, although the charity + small sized race has me leaning toward Prescott.
    Oh. Yeah.

Prescott, here I come.

aka Diesel
    I'm tempted. I admit.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    I'm tempted. I admit.
    Hmm...I concur...though I've already entered the TOWM 65'er...
    Ride more; post less...

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Post race party at the Raven. They have an impressive lineup of craft beers - on tap.

Just sayin...

--Jeff

aka Diesel

So? A little "baby-birdie" just told me you can afford to cut your losses with the TOWM. Decisions, decisions. And as Jeff pointed out... gooooood beer.

nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Yes, I was told that was the easiest. I was also told it's easier on a SS too.
    but only if it's a fixie....
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

Tucson, AZ
    So? A little "baby-birdie" just told me you can afford to cut your losses with the TOWM. Decisions, decisions. And as Jeff pointed out... gooooood beer.
    ...and good company. Quality not quantity.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Can someone explain to me why there are two bike races/events on the same day? Quite frankly, without knowing anything about this, I think it stinks,
    I AM JUST A JERK

livin' the dream......
    My 10th wedding anniversary is the same weekend as TOWM. Some explain how I can pull this off and not have divorce papers waiting for me when I get home.

I've done this the past 2 years and had a blast, minus the projectile vomiting at Aid 3 on the 65'er last year.

mtbr member
    Damn, I wanted to do this one this year, but I will be at Austin City Limits. There's always next year.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    Damn, I wanted to do this one this year, but I will be at Austin City Limits. There's always next year.
    Nice! I'd been trying to get the SO to commit to going to that, but she kept dragging her feet. I signed up for the TOWM, and then realized it was the same weekend, so I guess the decision has been made. I really wanted to go though, as the lineup looks awesome.

mtbr member
    I know, the only thing I am bummed about is that the Beastie Boys had to cancel. Otherwise, I am really looking forward to it. I am also going to try and ride the Barton Green Belt trail at least once while I am there, but am figuring out whether to rent or transport my bike. I've never seen Pearl Jam before, and am really excited to see Kings of Leon. Speaking of KoL, anyone who hasn't heard their new cd, and doesn't listen exclusively to "Cookie Monster Rock" would really enjoy this album. One of the few albums that you can roll through from beginning to end without skipping a song.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    I know, the only thing I am bummed about is that the Beastie Boys had to cancel. Otherwise, I am really looking forward to it. I am also going to try and ride the Barton Green Belt trail at least once while I am there, but am figuring out whether to rent or transport my bike. I've never seen Pearl Jam before, and am really excited to see Kings of Leon. Speaking of KoL, anyone who hasn't heard their new cd, and doesn't listen exclusively to "Cookie Monster Rock" would really enjoy this album. One of the few albums that you can roll through from beginning to end without skipping a song.
    They did? That's actually who I really wanted to see, as well as Ben Harper, which I'm going to try and see here. Sonic Youth would be awesome, and I've been listending to the Decemberists and Grizzly Bear a lot lately. And I've heard STS9 is great live.

I've seen DMB a couple times, and it was okay (not sure why, but I've never really gotten into his music), as well as Pearl Jam. I saw PJ both early on--at Mesa Amphitheatre for 10--and then a couple years ago, at Cricket. Night and day for me. At Mesa, they were still the up and coming band--and it was a charity event for the Mt. Graham Apache Tribe--and the energy was friggin amazing (this was the first and only time I've actually been scared at a concert, and the entire floor was moving). At Cricket, I was in the lawn, and it felt really pop-rock. In fact, Eddie acknowledge the crowd, and was fairly cheerful. (At the Mesa show, the only time he acknowledge the crowd was when he spat in some dude's face and then said "Now you know how Native Americans feel," which I thought was kind of silly, but oh well.

I've held off on getting the KoL CD for some reason. I only know Molly's Room, which I really like. And I have some Live at SoHo CD, which is okay. But I like what I've heard on the radio.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    They did? That's actually who I really wanted to see, as well as Ben Harper, which I'm going to try and see here. Sonic Youth would be awesome, and I've been listending to the Decemberists and Grizzly Bear a lot lately. And I've heard STS9 is great live.

I've seen DMB a couple times, and it was okay (not sure why, but I've never really gotten into his music), as well as Pearl Jam. I saw PJ both early on--at Mesa Amphitheatre for 10--and then a couple years ago, at Cricket. Night and day for me. At Mesa, they were still the up and coming band--and it was a charity event for the Mt. Graham Apache Tribe--and the energy was friggin amazing (this was the first and only time I've actually been scared at a concert, and the entire floor was moving). At Cricket, I was in the lawn, and it felt really pop-rock. In fact, Eddie acknowledge the crowd, and was fairly cheerful. (At the Mesa show, the only time he acknowledge the crowd was when he spat in some dude's face and then said "Now you know how Native Americans feel," which I thought was kind of silly, but oh well.

I've held off on getting the KoL CD for some reason. I only know Molly's Room, which I really like. And I have some Live at SoHo CD, which is okay. But I like what I've heard on the radio.
    I gotta look more into STS9 - my bro in-law really likes this band, and he is the one who is setting up the tix. PJ, for me, is just the nostalgia effect, since I've never seen them live before. I completely agree with you about the energy - I had a similar experience with Tool where Tucson was a great show, and then Phoenix was just good. I've seen DMB 2-3 times, and can always enjoy them live. I saw Ben Harper when he was with Damian Marley at the Dodge and that was an awesome show - but I heard the new band, the Relentless 7, is just ok on this current tour. However, if you've never seen BH play the slide guitar before, it is a trip. Some other bands I am also excited to see at ACL: Citizen Cope, Airborne Toxic Event, Mos Def, Arctic Monkeys, and the Dead Weather.

aka Diesel
    All signed up, It's official. 35, SS.
    I love the vibe at Todd's races, and I can't resist giving that course a shot without gears. Just, nobody do a rain dance. Or wind. Epic winds last year. I was riding sideways on the last stretch to the finish. Anyone have any good suggestions for in-town grub the night before?

AZ
    banned
    Entered the 35 miler today.

mtbr member
    35 SS.

now the most important question........which aid station to I crack open the beer that wil be in my pack? mid way, last aid before the end.......just take one for each station????
    b

My other ride is your mom
    You're better off bringing your own grub....my experience in the wonderful areas of ShowLow and Pinetop is that there is no good grub....just grub. My favorite place to eat there is any of the "berto's" for a bean and cheese burrito...

AZ
    banned
    Mateaos for mexican.

Edit : also El Rancho Mexican in Pine Top
    Last edited by AZ; 08-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Mateaos for mexican.
    I wonder if that's the place we ate at last time. It was frocking PACKED! Well as to what Maad suggested, I'm not bringing my own food; half the appeal of these events, is escaping thinking/shopping/cooking/packing. xThanks for the suggestions/input, I'll look into it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm looking into doing the 35 mile run but I just made the switch(today) to clipless and fell once(to be expected with many more) but would like more "time" with them under my belt before I try my first race let alone clipless... I hope to see you guys there!!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EPDP99
    I'm looking into doing the 35 mile run but I just made the switch(today) to clipless and fell once(to be expected with many more) but would like more "time" with them under my belt before I try my first race let alone clipless... I hope to see you guys there!!

Get out and ride with them , plenty of time dosent take long and then you will wonder how you ever got along without them.

aka Diesel

no problem!

As was just mentioned, you have PLENTY of time to get comfortable with clipless, and this is the PERFECT event for clipless, in that there's lots of easy climbing, very few technical spots, and very few places where people can't easily go around you if you're not doing their pace. This was my first race last year, and I too, was fairly new to clipless. As my friend (the one who convinced me to leave the running shoes for running, and get in the game!) told me, "Just spin... just ride... don't think about it... just spin, and smile". Best advice ever. Good luck, and come say hi if you see me.

mtbr member
    More time? It's Aug. 21. The race is in Oct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I meant more time before I figure out if ill keep the clipless. Ive ridden alot with platforms and used to DJ and BMX so thats what was natural to me. Ill get used to them and I highly doubt I'll ditch them. Hoping to get more endurance also as the longest ride Ive been on was 22 miles. I'm sure if I can get the time off work I'll be there with a group of guys from work. My Grandma has a house near the pintop fire station and a guy from work also has a house in the housing development near the start( where the big car show is every year up there).

mtbr member
    EPD, I think you'll be fine. Just continue riding a little more rockier or more technical trails so you can get used to being clipped in. I used to despise clipless because I had this horrible fear that I couldn't get my feet out. I used to ride without them and use my legs to kick off around corners and rocks, etc. Now, I can't picture it any other way!! They help immensely on climbs and they keep your feet on the pedals when going downhill on really bumpy and rocky terrain. A month of riding should be more than enough to get used to them.

Just don't do stupid things like me where I unclip my right foot when slowing down only to fall towards the left and look like an idiot. I almost took out two old ladies hiking on Country Club when I stopped for them!! My riding buddies have not let me down since. :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Is anyone doing the pre-ride this weekend?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
    Is anyone doing the pre-ride this weekend?
    Yepper...I'll be there for the meet-up on Sat, riding, then camping Sat night, then riding again on Sun...

I'm really looking forward to it as the one previous time I did this event was in 2005, which was the year before Epic took it over and moved it to Oct. It rained like the hell the week and night before, and we only got to ride a few miles before everything got all gummed up, and we had to walk out carrying our bikes. Never really got to ride anything...

And...it will be a bit cooler up there this weekend...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Had a great time doing the pre-ride on Sat, then camping Sat. night, followed by a mellow ride Sun morn. Temps in the 80's during the day, and 50's at night...umm, yeah...

Todd was raving over the re-route of Ice Cave - about 70% of that section has been re-routed or worked on since last year. Todd said it is far, far more rider-friendly than last year, when there was a ton of carnage.

Here's the GPS info (started near the Country Club TH, which is about the midpoint of the course):
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12228884

Adding in the distance from/to the Start line to the course will put the race distance at just over 35 miles.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Here's the GPS info (started near the Country Club TH, which is about the midpoint of the course):

Adding in the distance from/to the Start line to the course will put the race distance at just over 35 miles.
    Do you know how to get this file to a GPS other than Garmin? I have an Delorme and would like to try to get this on it so I can have it mounted to the handlebars.

****EDIT: I am using topo usa for the delorme gps. If anyone has this course route in a .tpx file I would be interested in getting it.
    Last edited by EPDP99; 08-30-2009 at 10:17 PM.

aka Diesel
    Had a great time doing the pre-ride on Sat, then camping Sat. night, followed by a mellow ride Sun morn. Temps in the 80's during the day, and 50's at night...umm, yeah...

Todd was raving over the re-route of Ice Cave - about 70% of that section has been re-routed or worked on since last year. Todd said it is far, far more rider-friendly than last year, when there was a ton of carnage.

Despite bonking half-way through, running out of water, and my "short cut" almost topping the actual race mileage (heh) the pre-ride event was a smashing good time. The beer and laughter around the campfire that night, followed by the perfect ride the next day, more than made up for the "fight for survival" that day. It's got me very jazzed for the event, and I got the questions answered that I needed to know, regarding doing the race on a SS this year.

I'll pass this much on, to anyone signed up SS. .. if you're fully rigid, beg, steal, or borrow a fork; this is a rocky, rutted, butt-thumping ride, and after 15 miles of jack-hammering, I was cooked. In addition, bring gearing alternatives. I'm a devotee of my 18T, but not on THIS ride. Going up to a 20, based on the endurance aspect.

Hats off to all those volunteers who are putting a LOT of work into making the course even better than last year, and to Todd, who invests a tremendous amount of thought and effort into making his events worth every penny. If you've been waffling, sign up today- you won't regret it. This event is going to rock.

Oh, and Walt... you need to change your gearing as well. You need a 16T, not 18T for this- you made it look waaaay too easy. Ugh. ;-)

I am Walt
    I'll pass this much on, to anyone signed up SS. .. if you're on fully rigid, beg, steal, or borrow a fork; this is a rocky, rutted, butt-thumping ride, and after 15 miles of jack-hammering, I was cooked. In addition, bring gearing alternatives. I'm a devotee of my 18T, but not on THIS ride. Going up to a 20, based on the endurance aspect.
    I will stick with my 18T (29'er, 32x18) as it's the perfect gearing for me for the 35. Can't imagine it on a rigid; however, as the course just works you constantly, even with a fork. And De', you can handle the 18...you just need to get a fork...and more than like 16 oz. of liquid...

Oh, and Walt... you need to change your gearing as well. You need a 16T, not 18T for this- you made it look waaaay too easy. Ugh. ;-)
    Not getting hammered on beers and shots the night before kinda helped...

Hats off to all those volunteers who are putting a LOT of work into making the course even better than last year, and to Todd, who invests a tremendous amount of thought and effort into making his events worth every penny. If you've been waffling, sign up today- you won't regret it. This event is going to rock.
    +1...very cool sitting around the campfire with Todd, getting to know him. He does these events for all the right reasons, and I will always support him.
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    I will stick with my 18T (29'er, 32x18) as it's the perfect gearing for me for the 35. Can't imagine it on a rigid; however, as the course just works you constantly, even with a fork.
    Rigid: Not at speed. I think it was the pace that was crushing me, combined with having focused on my running lately, instead of doing much riding. You really should consider changing your gearing though... as Todd pointed out- your legs are much smaller than mine. He-he.

aka Diesel
    And De', you can handle the 18...you just need to get a fork...and more than like 16 oz. of liquid...

Not getting hammered on beers and shots the night before kinda helped...
    Naw, I'm stuck with the rigid for this event, because somebody I know loaned-out his fork instead of anticipating my every need but I'll be fine, because I am not going to take it at the pace Todd and the rest of you Hammerheads were moving things along.

AND- keep in mind... Todd started us on the hard section first, when energy and strength was fresh. Now imagine me on the 18, doing that after I've already done the first 15+? No bueno. That's what made last year, GEARED, so hard... the first 15 were "easy", but then the last 20, when strength and energy was becoming tapped, was HELL. :-) But all that said.... I can't wait. Two days of camping, great vibe, good push on the bike, and lots of POST ride beer.

I am Walt
    Do you know how to get this file to a GPS other than Garmin? I have an Delorme and would like to try to get this on it so I can have it mounted to the handlebars.

****EDIT: I am using topo usa for the delorme gps. If anyone has this course route in a .tpx file I would be interested in getting it.
    Forgot to answer this with CoyoteKis monopolizing the dialogue, as usual...

I do not know how to do the above, but will see if i can figure out how to save it as a .tpx file. PM me with your e-mail addy, and I'll let you know if I can, and, if so, send it to you.
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Forgot to answer this with CoyoteKis monopolizing the dialogue, as usual...

You're dead to me.

*blocked*

AZ
    banned
    Does the course run clockwise or counter clockwise this year ?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Does the course run clockwise or counter clockwise this year ?
    Clockwise
    Ride more; post less...

AZ
    banned
    Thanks very much , look forward to this event as its my first in 22 years .

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Im excited too. I still need to complete my registration but I'm going with a big group and waiting for others to decide whats going on. I have been out alot trying to get used to the pedals and the last 3 days I've been out just under 20 miles each trip. So far Everytime I have gotten on the bike I have fallen with the clipless except once on yesterdays ride!! Getting better, dang rock mash my shin today when I went down in a rocky climb.

aka Diesel
    Im excited too. I still need to complete my registration but I'm going with a big group and waiting for others to decide whats going on. I have been out alot trying to get used to the pedals and the last 3 days I've been out just under 20 miles each trip. So far Everytime I have gotten on the bike I have fallen with the clipless except once on yesterdays ride!! Getting better, dang rock mash my shin today when I went down in a rocky climb.
    That's the spirit! Hang in there, keep getting mileage under your belt, which is a two-for-one, because it will also give you additional experience with your clips.

AZ
    banned

Just keep riding , soon you will wonder how you ever rode without them .

I am Walt
    What trails have you been riding?

You'll want to get comfortable with clipless pedals before this race. There is a lot of riding and working your bike over and around embedded rocks, roots, etc, where you're going slow and may need to dab if you can't make something. There was a guy on the pre-ride who was new to clipless pedals, and he fell repeatedly...got pretty dinged up, but kept smiling.

As CoyoteKis says, just keep riding and you'll get it!
    Ride more; post less...

Shred...it's the new drug
    For pre-ride eats....Mountain Thai!!! Best thai food I've had ever!!! The coconut soup is killer! As is the green curry...oh wait, maybe curry won't be a good idea before a 35+ mile ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What trails have you been riding?

You'll want to get comfortable with clipless pedals before this race. There is a lot of riding and working your bike over and around embedded rocks, roots, etc, where you're going slow and may need to dab if you can't make something. There was a guy on the pre-ride who was new to clipless pedals, and he fell repeatedly...got pretty dinged up, but kept smiling.

As CoyoteKis says, just keep riding and you'll get it!
    I live down in Tucson and near the 50year. So I just ride right from my house and hit the trails. I usually ride from Golder ranch to catalina state park then back up and over to the chutes and back. I have ridden the upper 50 quite a few times but none with clipless yet. There are quite a few slow rocky sections that I have been working on as thats what scares me the most about clipless currently.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm doing the 65miler again this year. After last years stuck in the mud craziness, I swore off the event but it’s not a lot of climbing for 65 miles and well I dig not a lot of climbing!

It's going to be a race to beat the rain this time!

Tiff

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    I'm doing the 65miler again this year. After last years stuck in the mud craziness, I swore off the event but it’s not a lot of climbing for 65 miles and well I dig not a lot of climbing!

It's going to be a race to beat the rain this time!

Tiff
    Tiffany, I remember your post from last year, and I can't believe you're doing the 65 miler again!!! YOU ROCK, Woman!!! Gawd, I'll save you some beer. One of these days I'm going to have to ovary-up, and take on the bigger mileage in races.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    To that I say Good Luck!! Cause there no way I'm doing a 65 mile run.... I am also looking at doing the 24 hour race here as well with a group.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tiffany, I remember your post from last year, and I can't believe you're doing the 65 miler again!!! YOU ROCK, Woman!!! Gawd, I'll save you some beer. One of these days I'm going to have to ovary-up, and take on the bigger mileage in races.
    Girl I know! I'm just a retard and cannot remember the pain from last year.

You should consider doing the extra miles on this one. I hear you get a few extra beers at the end -isn't that all the incentive you need !

Tiff

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Officially registered!! No turning back now...

mtbr member

I wanna play too

Alright I'm in afterall (rip PBR2009). SS'ing the 65~ish ride/race.
    Family camping (wife +3 y.o.) for the first time pre/post race. I'll do my rain dance a week+ before the race.
    See y'all there.
    Cheers
    M
    Last edited by idaz; 09-06-2009 at 08:57 PM.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Dang it! I signed up today. had to pay the late fee. I know Tom will give me crap but I signed up 35 S.S. 32x19t maybe 18t if I feel really good and want some good pain. I wanted to see if I would do better this year on a S.S. than I did on a geared last year. Next year I'll do the 60 if I feel i can ride faster than the rains will come in.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Signed up for the 65 SS. Got my first SS this weekend and have ridden it twice. A bit nervous but, we shall see. I climbed Windgate from the east today and it was tough with only one gear. I have heard the climbing isn't as bad as the Whiskey but, I have never raced SS before so I will probably be a hurtin unit by the end.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    Dang it! I signed up today. had to pay the late fee. I know Tom will give me crap but I signed up 35 S.S. 32x19t maybe 18t if I feel really good and want some good pain. I wanted to see if I would do better this year on a S.S. than I did on a geared last year. Next year I'll do the 60 if I feel i can ride faster than the rains will come in.
    Guy - Run the 18...I ran that on the pre-ride last week, and it's a good gear for that course and distance, plus no killer climbs. Well, now that you're in, push me back one spot...
    Ride more; post less...

Yeha! another S.S. rider, always good. what gear did you climb wind gate on? I tried it only once and could not ride it all (32x18 29er) that's a tough one.
    Walt brother, it's a distance race so an 18t will be tough the last 15 miles but if you say it's a good gear then I guess I'll just have to do it. I will be not have a chance to pre-ride it so I will go out on T-100 and go race pace the entire way taking all side trails till I hit 35 miles to see if I am ready. anyone want to join me I will be leaving Wednesday night 7:30pm from the church trail (8th ave & sweetwater) Night ride so lights need to last 3+ hours. or just meet up with me along the trail and look for a single speed dude who is about to vomit at any moment.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Bam!

just signed up for the 65 miler, oh yeah! Right-on!

I am Walt
    Yeha! another S.S. rider, always good. what gear did you climb wind gate on? I tried it only once and could not ride it all (32x18 29er) that's a tough one.
    Walt brother, it's a distance race so an 18t will be tough the last 15 miles but if you say it's a good gear then I guess I'll just have to do it. I will be not have a chance to pre-ride it so I will go out on T-100 and go race pace the entire way taking all side trails till I hit 35 miles to see if I am ready. anyone want to join me I will be leaving Wednesday night 7:30pm from the church trail (8th ave & sweetwater) Night ride so lights need to last 3+ hours. or just meet up with me along the trail and look for a single speed dude who is about to vomit at any moment.
    Well, your race pace > my race pace, so maybe that makes the 18T more palatable for me...

And I'd love to join you on Weds, but am out-of-town...have a good one!

Walt
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Uh oh with the PBR falling through and my flight to Phoenix already paid for I'm getting tempted with this as an alternative for that weekend.

All the "it's pretty easy on a SS" talk isn't helping either

Edit:

It looks to be a great event but I think the 4 hour drive [as per google maps] out and back is a bit much tagged onto flights from Houston over a short weekend.

I've yet to get and do the BCT too so maybe this will be the ideal time to give that a go. Temperatures should be pretty good for the BCT by then eh? If not then another visit to Prescott will be the order of the day.
    Last edited by unclenorm; 09-08-2009 at 06:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    [QUOTE=TacoBeer]Yeha! another S.S. rider, always good. what gear did you climb wind gate on? I tried it only once and could not ride it all (32x18 29er) that's a tough one.
    Walt brother, it's a distance race so an 18t will be tough the last 15 miles but if you say it's a good gear then I guess I'll just have to do it.

I have a 32x18 29er also. Had to HAB a couple times too.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by unclenorm
    Uh oh with the PBR falling through and my flight to Phoenix already paid for I'm getting tempted with this as an alternative for that weekend.

All the "it's pretty easy on a SS" talk isn't helping either

Edit:

It looks to be a great event but I think the 4 hour drive [as per google maps] out and back is a bit much tagged onto flights from Houston over a short weekend.

I've yet to get and do the BCT too so maybe this will be the ideal time to give that a go. Temperatures should be pretty good for the BCT by then eh? If not then another visit to Prescott will be the order of the day.
    Too hot still for a BCT epic, unless it's unusually cool.

And from the Shea/87 junction in Fountain Hills, it's 2 hours and 30-45 mins to Pinetop. Do eet...
    Ride more; post less...

[QUOTE

I've yet to get and do the BCT too so maybe this will be the ideal time to give that a go. Temperatures should be pretty good for the BCT by then eh? If not then another visit to Prescott will be the order of the day.[/QUOTE]

Too hot unless you start before sunrise and get back before you can't stand the heat. I say go out just as the sun sets and enjoy a great night ride.
    Your better off going to Prescott or trying out a great race in the pines.

1 Cor 10:31
    May 2008
    I signed up for the 35 miler as well. Lucky for me, my "friends" told me about the 65.....hee hee. I figure if I rock the 35 this year, I'll do the longer next. Can't wait, heard it is a beautiful ride....

mtbr member
    Not cool at all Taco... you need to change your registration to the 65 miler... sandbagging the 35, what is up with that?? If you win, I will never let you live it down!!! LOL!!!'

(PS... you need to run the 18 for the event... you are strong enough to push that gear and it will totally pay off on all the flats and downhills... I will probably run a 17 for the 65 and it always seems that we are 1 tooth apart... or is that one tooth between us?)

I can make the arrangements for you to change to the 65... no problem at all... I will take care of it... WUSS

Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    Not cool at all Taco... you need to change your registration to the 65 miler... sandbagging the 35, what is up with that?? If you win, I will never let you live it down!!! LOL!!!'

(PS... you need to run the 18 for the event... you are strong enough to push that gear and it will totally pay off on all the flats and downhills... I will probably run a 17 for the 65 and it always seems that we are 1 tooth apart... or is that one tooth between us?)

I can make the arrangements for you to change to the 65... no problem at all... I will take care of it... WUSS

sorry Tom but I want to see this years times from last years. next year I will sign up 65 and maybe I can keep you in sight the first half remenber i am not a trained at distance racing yet. we'll have the 2010 mbaa to dual it out and I hope to give you a good run for your money but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    sorry Tom but I want to see this years times from last years. next year I will sign up 65 and maybe I can keep you in sight the first half remenber i am not a trained at distance racing yet. we'll have the 2010 mbaa to dual it out and I hope to give you a good run for your money but I doubt it.
    LOL!!! Sounds like a good plan... I just had to give you a hard time though. I bet you CRUSH your 35 mile time by at least 30 minutes from last year. You have really put in the miles this year and you got rid of all the crap off your bike (der, shifters, cassette, etc) so you have everything going your way! d

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Do eet...
    Your better off...trying out a great race in the pines.
    Arghhh! I'm a sucker for peer pressure

I guess I do have a day either side of Saturday to absorb the drive - I'll be coming from Indian School / Dysart but afterall, it's only once to get there and once to get back.

I'll re-assess my initial negative assessment and look for a more positive one by the end of the day

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    +1 SS 29er for the 35mile

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

TOWM cut off times

FYI, got an email that they'll have cut off times this year.

All cyclists arriving to the 4th aid station after 12:30p will be required to take an alternate route back to the venue and will not receive a finishing time.

Any cyclist arriving to the 5th aid station after 2:00p will be required to take an alternate route back to the venue and will not receive a finishing time.

Tiff

Ouch! Wednesday ngiht test ride did not go so well. ate too much and had stomach achs and gas the first half of the ride so i took it easier than I wanted. Pretty much rode everything on the Phoenix preserves to get 35 miles in, then when I was ready to head home a buddy calls and said he was coming out to join me so I went out for a longer ride. ended up doing 50 miles taking me over 5 hours and I was hurtin on that 18t. I am not ready for a 65 mile race in altitude just yet but I think 35 in a 2:1 ratio will work if I pace myself right. if it rains before the race starts then I will go to a 19t because of the nasty mud factor.

I am Walt

Pre-Ride Pics

Finally getting around to posting these...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Finally getting around to posting these...
    Okay you take the one of my shorts making me look 4x my size, DOWN.... NOW.

And... did you MEAN to capture that guy, taking a whizzie?

Here's my contribution.... You were marching across the forest like Sasquatch , and I was casting a hex or something, on Ryan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am Walt
    Okay you take the one of my shorts making me look 4x my size, DOWN.... NOW.

And... did you MEAN to capture that guy, taking a whizzie?

Here's my contribution.... You were marching across the forest like Sasquatch , and I was casting a hex or something, on Ryan.
    A. I wasn't going to say anything about your Depends...
    B. No, but the stream shows up pretty clearly...
    C. I was walking like an Egyptian...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    A. I wasn't going to say anything about your Depends...
    B. No, but the stream shows up pretty clearly...
    C. I was walking like an Egyptian...
    A. Wore them for nothing, since I almost died of dehydration on the ride.
    b. At least SOMEBODY was hydrated.
    c. Should you have admitted you know that song? Man Card: *slice*

mtbr member
    A. Wore them for nothing, since I almost died of dehydration on the ride.
    b. At least SOMEBODY was hydrated.
    c. Should you have admitted you know that song? Man Card: *slice*

sorry every man know "walking with an errection".

(yes that was obvious)
    b

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Does anyone know what time the rides/races kick off on the Saturday morning?

I've ready 'early' Saturday somewhere, but wondering if there was a time floating around anywhere.

Thnx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclenorm
    Does anyone know what time the rides/races kick off on the Saturday morning?

I've ready 'early' Saturday somewhere, but wondering if there was a time floating around anywhere.

Thnx
    Schedule of Events – What’s Happen’n?
    Friday, October 2nd
    · 2p – 8p; Event expo open for all to enjoy!
    · 2p – 8p; Packet Pick-up @ Show Low Bluff development
    · 8p – 9p; Mandatory 65 & 35 milers Meeting
    · 5p – 8p;“Contento Gianetto’s” chicken and pasta extravaganza at venue $12/plate 5p– 8p
    Saturday, October 3rd – Time to get your ride on...
    · 7a – 5p; Event expo open for all to enjoy!
    · Event Start Times: 65-mile @ 7:30a; 35-mile @ 8:30a; 15-mile @ 9:30a; 8-mile @ 10:00a
    · 12:30p; Aid Station #4 Cut-off time
    · 2p; Aid Station #5 Cut-off time
    · 2:00p – 6:00p; 1st Annual Cellular One White Mountain Jam Session kicks off! Chill out after your ride and enjoy great food, steady vibes and pleasant scenery at the event venue
    · 2:00p – 6:00p; Get Your Grub On with Grumpy Jakes Post Ride BBQ
    · 3p; Route Support Concludes
    · 3p; Tour Awards Celebration. Top 5 rewarded in each category…all that attend are likely to walk away with a piece of schwag or two.
    Sunday, October 4th
    Fun-ride; loosen your legs up and enjoy a casual spin in the pines with
    b

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I am really torn between riding my 29er hardtail or my new 29er Canzo FS bike. Doing the 60 mile race.
    Any suggestions?
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

... and if we just ...

Hardtail on the first half for the climbing and stage the full squishy at an aid station for the descents, spin back to the ranch. Don't know if your allowed to ride two bikes but, it would be kind of funny if you are just doing it for fun. I suppose if you won some people might be a bit pissed.....

AZ
    banned
    Weather forecast for race day : High of 70 degrees , low of 43 degrees and partly cloudy .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0