Tour of the White Mountains- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Tour of the White Mountains

Who is racing in the Tour of the White Mountains Oct. 1?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yep. In for the 60.

Black and Sticky
    Nope, wish I was. I stupidly agreed to do Tour de Scottsdale with some roadie buddies and that's the day after.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Racing the 35 with my wife. Looking forward to it, this will be our first time on the Tour

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm also doing the 60. I am looking forward to this race since it is my first TWM.

Need more cowbell
    Just rode the 35 course yesterday. Seems rockier than last year. Maybe its because of all of the rain they have been having. There is standing water on parts of the course that you have to ride around.

mtbr member
    I'm ready to smash the 60!
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

DFL>DNF>DNS
    In for the 60 as well!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am thinking about it after looking at it... although I am by no means a serious racer. Is this a pretty hard core racing event, or are there people that just do it to challenge themselves?

No way could I do the 60, 35 would be a stretch... thinking about the 15 maybe?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I am thinking about it after looking at it... although I am by no means a serious racer. Is this a pretty hard core racing event, or are there people that just do it to challenge themselves?

Not "core" at all, a non technical course, very laid back event in the cool pines of Eastern AZ. You'll enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    signed up for the 35, super stoked for it. Havent ridden anything up near there, other then sunrise, so I'm excited to try some new stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Not "core" at all, a non technical course, very laid back event in the cool pines of Eastern AZ. You'll enjoy it.
    OK, will most likely sign up for it this week. Pending a bike swap working out without leaving me sans bicicleta that weekend...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it

I'm sure you could manage the 35 if its within the realm of possibility for you. Think of it as 3 back to back 12 miles rides, since they have the aid stations pretty evenly distributed with anything you could want, minus a happy ending. I'm no racer either, and did the 35 in 5 hours last year. Just keep your own pace and it'll be a good day. Its a pretty good course, with just a few challenging climbs.

However, I've been riding a bunch in the last year, so now I'm in for the 60!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, I am thinking I could do it. I routinely do 15-18 mile rides here, so I am thinking with adrenaline I could muster the 35...

Speed996

It is a great event, most are really laid back and there for the fun of it. Not too many serious riders, course is not very technical and very little climbing in the 35m. I say go for it! Free beer at the end (at least last year there was)

I'm a no-go. . . gotta work. Have fun all & have a tasty beverage for me

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by speed996 View Post
    It is a great event, most are really laid back and there for the fun of it. Not too many serious riders, course is not very technical and very little climbing in the 35m. I say go for it! Free beer at the end (at least last year there was)

I'm a no-go. . . gotta work. Have fun all & have a tasty beverage for me
    You're not going to defend your title!?!

Speed996
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    You're not going to defend your title!?!
    Nope, was hoping to step up to the 60, but work got in the way... gotta pay the mortgage

mtbr member
    I am in for the 35, should be a great race

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK, I am almost there (convincing myself to do this). How difficult is the trail to navigate? Could someone that has never ridden it before make it through without getting lost? (Mind you I will be behind everyone else. lol).

I am 95% in for the 35 miler.

Need more cowbell
    OK, I am almost there (convincing myself to do this). How difficult is the trail to navigate? Could someone that has never ridden it before make it through without getting lost? (Mind you I will be behind everyone else. lol).

I am 95% in for the 35 miler.
    Course is well marked with lots of volunteers at turns and aid stations. Do it.

Ridin bikes is fun
    I'm in for the 35.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Course is well marked with lots of volunteers at turns and aid stations. Do it.
    OK. I"m in.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    In for the 35 mile, would have done the 60 but I am doing the Tour De Scotty the next day.

Speaking of that, anyone doing the Tour De Scotty? (Road course heresy I know...)

mtbr member
    TDS is too expensive of a group ride for me but I am doing the DC ranch crit tomorrow.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yep, pretty expensive. Good to know that some of the $ is going to the Mcdowell Sonoran Conservancy. I did the TDS last year and it was a good time. This year I prefer to mountain bike in cooler temps. among the pines and make a weekend out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr View Post
    TDS is too expensive of a group ride for me but I am doing the DC ranch crit tomorrow.
    Nice! This will be my first road race, done a couple of MTB races. How different are roadie races? I have been doing the BoS ride on Saturdays to help train for it. The course it self does not seem to be that hard since there is only 2.5k feet of climbing but the distance of 70 miles makes me a little nervous. Farthest I have gone on my MTB is 65 miles in the FLG2GC ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    In for the 60 again. Not sure of my gearing just yet. Either going to feel a little too hard, or a little to spinney on the flats.
    Single Speed. Rigid fun.
    34x19 or 34x18... hmmmmm

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have been doing the TdS for the last 5 years, doing it again this year. At least I am registered for it.

Coming down from BC and I get into town on Wednesday morning, Where is the TWM based? Starting from where, and when??

May be worth going to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by SOAZ View Post
    In for the 60 again. Not sure of my gearing just yet. Either going to feel a little too hard, or a little to spinney on the flats.
    Single Speed. Rigid fun.
    34x19 or 34x18... hmmmmm
    Did the 35 last year on a 32x20 rigid and it was pretty good for me then, but it beat me up. I might do a 32x19 now, but I'm taking the easy route with a 1x9 geared bike...with some bounce. I couldn't imagine 60 miles on a rigid SS. That is some punishment, doable, but punishment. The 40 I did at BCT was enough for me. I'm happy to do the 60 this year on the FS. Getting close! Good luck with the beat down!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So, anyone rolling solo to this thing? I am coming from Phoenix (Cave Creek) and planning on camping Friday night. Wife has to work...

I am debating coming back Saturday afterward, or hanging out until Sunday, but it'll depend on whether I know anyone that is staying.

EDIT: I am officially in for the 35 miler and camping both nights. Thinking about bringing some growlers of homebrew, so look for the silver Subaru Forester, Brown and White Kona Cinder Cone, and the slow guy hobbliing around after the race and I'll share.
    Last edited by pointerDixie214; 09-24-2011 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Did the 35 last year on a 32x20 rigid and it was pretty good for me then, but it beat me up. I might do a 32x19 now, but I'm taking the easy route with a 1x9 geared bike...with some bounce. I couldn't imagine 60 miles on a rigid SS. That is some punishment, doable, but punishment. The 40 I did at BCT was enough for me. I'm happy to do the 60 this year on the FS. Getting close! Good luck with the beat down!
    I did the 60 last year on a single speed. I didn't feel beat up at all. I felt really spun out running 32x19 though.
    I just did 55 miles this morning on the SS rigid at 34x19 and it seemed to work. A little spun out on the flats, but good enough for the climbs. I think I'll go with it. I don't plan to take it too seriously. I'm planning on riding with another buddy on SS the whole way. Makes it more fun to have someone riding with you.

Good luck to everyone and ***uh oh***.
    Last edited by SOAZ; 09-24-2011 at 05:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soaz View Post
    good luck to everyone and do the "no" rain dance, please.
    god dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I saw the post and said "uh oh.... "

AZ
    banned

Ha! At least it was not me this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone know how much single track in the 60?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for all the help and information people.

Really.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Toomanybikes View Post
    Thanks for all the help and information people.

Really.
    This will answer your ?'s

EPIC RIDES - Tour of the White Mountains

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just curious if this course has water bars or anything resembling the telephone poles going across the trails like in the whiskey?

From what I read it seems like it shouldn't be that technical of a course. Am I correct in thinking this or a fool?

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Fureak View Post
    Just curious if this course has water bars or anything resembling the telephone poles going across the trails like in the whiskey?

From what I read it seems like it shouldn't be that technical of a course. Am I correct in thinking this or a fool?
    No water bars...just a lot of rocks. They tend to beat you down slowly as the day wears on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

2 race entries for Tour of the White Mountains for sale

My wife and I can't make it to the Tour of the White Mountains this year, since we're both sick. I talked to Cat at Epic Rides and she'll allow us to transfer the entries to someone else wishing to do the race this Saturday October 1st.

Cat said whoever accepts the transfer will need to pay a $10 transfer fee when they pickup their packet/race number. I'll sell the entries for $40 each. You'll save $10 off each entry and save us some money since we can't go. Its a great event, cool weather and a great weekend to camp out.

-Eric

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Entry available ...

Well, I broke my thumb and can't ride. Boooooo!

Anyway, my registration was for the 60 and I paid for one pasta dinner as well. My total was $91.74. If someone is interested you can have it for $45.

Please send me a PM with your phone number if you're interested.

Thanks and have fun out there!

Ridin bikes is fun
    The forecast is not looking to good for the weekend.
    Show Low Weekend Weather Forecast - weather.com

Will the race be held if it rains the night before or the day of?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    You didn't just post on the weather did you? AArrrggghhhhh!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Does anyone have any experience in this area during/after rain? Does the course hold up (60 mile) or is it a mess that will destroy your drive train and add a couple of inches to the tire diameter from the mud sticking?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    Does anyone have any experience in this area during/after rain? Does the course hold up (60 mile) or is it a mess that will destroy your drive train and add a couple of inches to the tire diameter from the mud sticking?
    Race will be cancelled even if there is a chance of rain within 300 miles of race venue, or if temps drop below 75.

(YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

BTW, this is why god created singlespeeds.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Race will be cancelled even if there is a chance of rain within 300 miles of race venue, or if temps drop below 75.

(YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

BTW, this is why god created singlespeeds.
    I see on the website that the pre-ride will be canceled due to rain, but I don't see anything about this on the day of or before the race. Is this confirmed that the race will be canceled due to rain?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Out of curiosity... where would one find out if/when it is cancelled?

Drivetrain be damned I really want to ride this thing. lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Well to answer my own ?, I just spoke with Epic and the race will go on as scheduled if it is raining, unless the rain is exceptional. They have an alternate course if the planned course is too sloppy.

Ridin bikes is fun

It's not your drive-train that will be a problem, but the 10lbs of peanut butter on each wheel that will make it unridable. Not to mention the damage to the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

The pre-ride meeting Fri. night according to Epic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Alrighty, I guess we'll find out then. Would be awesome to know before driving all the way out there, but if they have an alternate route, sounds like everything's a go.

Need more cowbell
    The rain they are forecasting are the standard "30% afternoon storms" Pretty standard forecast for this time of the year. If it's the normal hit and miss showers, it will be fine. It's the downpours like they had in 2008 (I think?) that would mess things up. Nobody is forecasting anything like that..... Yet.

You actually want a little rain on Friday if possible, just to knock down the dust for the race.

mtbr member
    If it's the normal hit and miss showers, it will be fine.
    Well, I think you all you Chatty Kathys have pretty much guranteed this won't be a typical "hit or miss" shower....

Ridin bikes is fun
    Well, I think you all you Chatty Kathys have pretty much guranteed this won't be a typical "hit or miss" shower....
    Chatty Kathys.........

Need more cowbell
    At least we are in a dry house if I'm wrong. I'll bring a deck of cards just in case.

Tucson, AZ
    Does anybody remember the year that cars got stuck in the mud? Or the year that they had the race on all fire roads? If it does start to rain hard, make sure you get out of that mud pit (assuming you don't have a 4x4 vehicle).

Every few years, this event gets rained out. I hope you guys get some cool tailwind instead of a monster storm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just got home. Good times.
    Weather was perfect. Saw lots of friends and met some new ones.

Did better than I thought I would. Rigid did well, but the second half took some concentration picking lines! haha. 7th in Single Speed 60.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ended up coming home yesterday so I could watch my Gators lose to Bama.

Race was awesome. I felt beat up after, but still had a fantastic time. Got to meet a few people from here, so that was cool too...

Thanks to epicrides for an awesome event. The food was great too. I know I finished in half an hour faster than my goal, so I am happy. #96 in the Men's Open 35. Time of 4:36:16. Not the fastest, but I am proud I finished.

livin' the dream......
    2008 was the big rain, and the last time I raced this event. Maybe next year I will not have the schedule conflict and I can do this one again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i had a great time. it was my first time doing the 35,although it did kick my a$$ still a ton of fun. thanks to the people that donated tubes to me seeing as how i had 3 pinch flats and only had one spare tube, i guess i am going to go tubeless now. i would have been under 4 hours if it were not for the flats, but hey there is always next year.

does anybody know who was taking pictures out on the course? website or any info would be great.

thanks epic rides and the white mtns. for a good weekend

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by rteirish View Post
    i had a great time. it was my first time doing the 35,although it did kick my a$$ still a ton of fun. thanks to the people that donated tubes to me seeing as how i had 3 pinch flats and only had one spare tube, i guess i am going to go tubeless now. i would have been under 4 hours if it were not for the flats, but hey there is always next year.

does anybody know who was taking pictures out on the course? website or any info would be great.

They will be up on this site within a week or so usually. Marathon Foto

mtbr member
    This year was my third time and this race never gets easier. One thing I did differently was talked my wife into feeding me at aid 2/4. I didn't have to stop at all during the race which helped a ton. My crash on the first section of single track leading the entire 60 field kind of sucked but I recouped and went 15 minutes faster than last year. '

Thanks to all the 35ers that were so cool about letting me pass them.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rteirish View Post

Were you by chance the guy who I saw fixing flats and chatted with a lot? If so, thanks for loaning me the multi-tool! I would have most likely DNF'd if it weren't for your help.

Also- to the guy who broke his collarbone in front of me 2 miles before the end... sorry about your luck and I hope you get to feeling better and back on the bike soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This was my first Epic event and I had a great race. I ended up finishing the 60 in sub-6 hours, much better than I had anticipated. All the support on the course was awesome. I was also surprised that I did not rip my tires to shreds on the rocks on that course. We got lucky with the weather. Today I woke to rain and thought that it was a good day for rain. The pickles at aid 3 and 5 fueled my legs and gave me the boost I needed to finish the race. Met a bunch of cool folks and had an awesome time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Had a great time!!

My brother is just an occasional mountain biker, but I was able to talk him into the 15 miler. He was a little skeptical because of the costs involved: time, money etc. At the end of the day, he had an awesome time!! Now he's looking for a new bike and the next mountain biking event.

Hat's off to Epic Rides, all the volunteers, etc. for putting on such an awesome event!!

aka Diesel
    Always a good time, but for the fact that when we finished, all 6 kegs of beer were looooong GONE!!!! Todd has a better plan for next year.

This was my first year giving the 60 a go. Walt and I took it at a non-frenzied pace, since we had decided to do the race start-to-finish together. He was on a single speed, and I was on gears so we knew going into it that there would be some waiting for each other on both sides. I kept a ss pace on the flats, and he waited for me at the top of climbs and over some of the stuff that isn't my forte on a single speed, squish, or magic carpet. (That would be Ice Caves- HATE that section!)

As ever, had a great time, got out of the heat of the valley, got to enjoy the amazing vibe that comes with the awesome world of mountain biking, and meet some new people.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    ...over some of the stuff that isn't my forte on a single speed, squish, or magic carpet. (That would be Ice Caves- HATE that section!)
    Ha! I hate everything between the last 2 aid stations (Blue Ridge/Ice Caves). Even though you are pointed downhill most of the time, you can't seem to get "going", ya know?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    Always a good time, but for the fact that when we finished, all 6 kegs of beer were looooong GONE!!!! Todd has a better plan for next year.

This was my first year giving the 60 a go. Walt and I took it at a non-frenzied pace, since we had decided to do the race start-to-finish together. He was on a single speed, and I was on gears so we knew going into it that there would be some waiting for each other on both sides. I kept a ss pace on the flats, and he waited for me at the top of climbs and over some of the stuff that isn't my forte on a single speed, squish, or magic carpet. (That would be Ice Caves- HATE that section!)

As ever, had a great time, got out of the heat of the valley, got to enjoy the amazing vibe that comes with the awesome world of mountain biking, and meet some new people.
    It was nice meeting you and Walt. I did not see you guys at the hotel after the race. I may have to take Walt up on the offer to do the Quad by-pass. Ahhh, more suffering.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    It was nice meeting you and Walt. I did not see you guys at the hotel after the race. I may have to take Walt up on the offer to do the Quad by-pass. Ahhh, more suffering.
    Great meeting/seeing you again! Yeah, we only had a room for the night before, so after the race we headed straight for food and then home. Definitely come out for the Quad! It isn't nearly as much suffering as the TOWM 60, and it is way more social. You'll have a blast.

aka Diesel
    Ha! I hate everything between the last 2 aid stations (Blue Ridge/Ice Caves). Even though you are pointed downhill most of the time, you can't seem to get "going", ya know?
    lol- Well, as to the Blue Ridge chunk, I was going alright!! I gotta say, this is the first year that I rode down it ALL (all but one rock where somebody dabbed in front of me) because after what the 60 miler had added, by the time I got to that section I was simply too tired to do anything but hold on and hope for the best. Heck, I rode UP more of the rocky stuff than ever this year, because I was too tired to make the effort to dismount then have to start up again.

That said, I was looking forward to experiencing that section on gears and squish, since my last two TOWM's were single speed rigid and then single speed with a squish fork. I really wanted to see what my new bike could do on it. But it turns out the "brain" on my bike is "abby normal" because despite any adjustments made, it kept locking into a hard tail!!!!

So, WOT, ... tell me... how was the beer? hmmm?

Need more cowbell
    The beer was awesome!

I drank your's and Walt's share.

aka Diesel
    The beer was awesome!

I drank your's and Walt's share.
    I just broke out into an angry sweat. ;-)

Dude we obsessed the last 20 miles, smacking our chapped lips, talking about how good it was going to be to have an ice!!cold!!beer!!

To get back, and see everyone stumbling around all chit-faced was just... just... :skip:
    But Todd said next year he is going to get 15 kegs and keep them going until sundown.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I was just happy to find out they had pickles out on the course. mmm, pickles!

It was also cool/surprising to hear Kaolin from Flat Tire Bike announcing the race.

Had a great time myself. The weather was most perfect! At least for Saturday. We camped out again that night and got rained on all night. Packed up in the morning in a heavy drizzle, and made a mess out of the truck. Heading back out on the dirt access road was lots of fun as we slid around on all that cake batter mud. Of course, twenty minutes out of Show Low we found blue skies.

I surprised myself with a finish under 7 hours for the sixty - 6:40! That's less than two hours longer than my 35 miler time last year. And for my efforts, much like Walt and D, I got no beer. It was long gone before I got there too. Bummer But I was smart enough to bring my own! Yes! Great day, nice riding with Walt and D for a bit - I heard you two behind me on the HAB section - I was so happy to be done with that, I took off like a bat out of hell!

Great time and I'm looking for sub 6 hours next year - just to get some beers at least!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Any 35 milers have a .gpx of the race? My batteries died so I didn't get to record it...

Need more cowbell
    Any 35 milers have a .gpx of the race? My batteries died so I didn't get to record it...
    TOWM 35 mile - 2011

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Muchas gracias!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    What a great event!! This was my first race and definitely will not be my last. Hopefully next year I'll be quicker for the beer & brats, even the grill was shutting down by the time I rolled in. Someone has to be the last one out on the course, right? Super stoked that I made the 12:30 cutoff at aid #4 with ZERO minutes to spare. Followed that up by sliding under the time bar at aid #5 by a whopping 2 minutes - yeah!! Great job to all the other riders out there.

This thread needs some pics, so here are two. One from the beginning of the 60 & one from Sunday morning:

From ToWM 2011

From ToWM 2011
    My Two Schillingsworth

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Had a great time myself. The weather was most perfect! At least for Saturday. We camped out again that night and got rained on all night. Packed up in the morning in a heavy drizzle, and made a mess out of the truck. Heading back out on the dirt access road was lots of fun as we slid around on all that cake batter mud. Of course, twenty minutes out of Show Low we found blue skies.

I surprised myself with a finish under 7 hours for the sixty - 6:40! That's less than two hours longer than my 35 miler time last year. And for my efforts, much like Walt and D, I got no beer. It was long gone before I got there too. Bummer But I was smart enough to bring my own! Yes! Great day, nice riding with Walt and D for a bit - I heard you two behind me on the HAB section - I was so happy to be done with that, I took off like a bat out of hell!

Great time and I'm looking for sub 6 hours next year - just to get some beers at least!
    Oh so you're saying we weren't smart enough?
    Great riding with and seeing you and S! It's always so much more fun to suffer as a group. And yeah, after the HAB we never saw you again! You must have really kicked it in. Sub 6?! That is a long time to be at a frenzied pace! I think my cap, for a race like that, is the 35 miler. I did mine on an SS last year, at 3:50, and actually ENJOYED it. But six+ hours of hammering? NO THANKS!!! I will drink, I mean hold, your beer for you next year while you animals do the 60.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    freeskier46,
    If you got some more pixels, please post them up.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here's a few more, but keep in mind I was near or at the end of the pack so not too many others riders in my pics!! Next year....

Aid station #2
    From ToWM 2011

I was still grinning at the end too
    From ToWM 2011

A lone rider approaches between ck #2 & #3
    From ToWM 2011

Aid station #5
    From ToWM 2011
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for posting the pix.

Ridin bikes is fun
    The competition keeps getting stiffer.

My goal for this ride was to better my time from 08, the last time I rode this event. I haven't ridden in an event for almost 2 years, so I was a little unsure how I would fare. I finished in 3:52 in 08 and I got 2nd place for the old guys (45+/masters).

So I'm cruising along feeling very good and thinking I must be in the top 10, and then at about 29 miles I hear "SHHHHHHHHH" and see the white spray come out with each rotation of my front tire, and it won't stop spraying.......Dam.....So I fix the flat as quick as I can, as many of the riders I had worked hard to get around pass me by, most asking if I'm okay. Anyways I get going again and hammer the last 6 miles as hard as my now slightly cramping legs will allow. I crossed the line with my stop watch reading 3:44, I had started it during the 10second count down before the start. So who knows, it's just a cheap ass Timex. (I had forgotten my Garmin at home), yet when I checked my time at the timing kiosk they have me at 3:47 and in 26th place......So I was hoping to do better, but man was that a good time. I have about 10 or so events I hope to do this season. It's good to be back.....
    Last edited by surfndav; 10-04-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Need more cowbell
    Funny you should say that, my final time on my Garmin was off about 3min. too.

As well as myself. I clocked a 6:38 but Epic had me at 6:40.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My time was also off by about 2.5 minutes. I was going to protest it, but I was too tired and did not care at the time. I told Epic about it, but that was as far as I took it.

It would of bumped me up a place or two, unless everybody's time was off by the same amount.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    This was mine and my wife's first TOWM and what an awesome time we had. We both did the 35 course. About mile 26 I hear "honey, is that you", then she passed me. So proud of my wife. She finished in 3:59 and I finished in 4:01. I'll never hear the end of that one, but I got a new bike out of her feeling bad for me.