mtbr member

Tour of the White Mountains?

Has anyone ridden the Tour of the White Mountains? I have been thinking of signing up for the 65 miler. It looks like a great event on paper, but wanted to see if anyone had ridden the tour and had opinions on how well the event is managed and how much fun he or she had before I make the investment. Thanks.
    Last edited by Grizzattack; 06-14-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

AZ
    banned
    Awesome event .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Awesome event .
    Thanks! Nice Avatar, btw.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement." -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Very awesome event! Course is very fun, about 40-50% singletrack, not a huge amount of climbing, and really just a blast! The race has a history of being rained on and the course not being marked that well, however the past couple of years have been FANTASTIC!! Totally worth the cost and travel to attend!

mtbr member
    Thanks, Yeah I have always been intrigued by the area for years, a recent Mountain Flyer spread has my interest peaked again. We would be coming from Southern CO. Probably making this into a grand road trip that would include the Grand Canyon and Gila Cliff Dwellings in NM on the way back. Stoked when I think about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i rode the 35 miler last year and had a great time.

mtbr member
    Are low profile racing tires appropriate?

How is the camping, food, entertainment options?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzattack
    Are low profile racing tires appropriate?

How is the camping, food, entertainment options?
    Let me be the loan voice of dissent: this race SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all honesty, this course kicked my ass. I did the 60-miler on a HT, SS. I probably hit every gosh darn rock on the damn trail. It was my first, probably not my last, time doing the race, and from what I understand, I got darn lucky weather wise. The weather was ideal and not a drop of rain.

As I mentioned above, the course was bumpy (although in all sincerity, I found out after the fact that I'm clueless on how to adjust my fork), and lots of jagged lava rocks. I do recall quite a lot of flats, my guess mostly due to running tubes and lower pressure, as there are some steepish climbs. But the course itself, in some places, is very rocky, so I'd recommend something with some beefier sidewalls. Tread-wise, however, low profile is fine.

And just in case you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, the race was indeed a blast, and the racers and promoters all were stellar. My only issue is being told I could not use one of the local bike shop's bathrooms. But in their defensive, I did, at the time, look like a criminal.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I did the 65er last year and it kicked the crap out of me. The first half was a bit deceiving as it was fairly smooth but then after aide 3 it climbs and the grade ramps up o unrideable for the last few hundred yards. The second half was rocky and rough and sometimes hard to follow. This year I will sport (as much as I hate them) a camelback and will switch from cliff bars to gel so I wont have to stop at all. I ran Hutchinson Pythons last year and they were great on the long dirt road and few paved sections. They also worked fine on the rougher stuff.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    I did the ToWM last year for my first time and I had a blast as well! I did the 35 miler and it kicked my ass. I had done Panorama before so I knew what to expect but Ice Caves really hurt with a HT. I thought it was going to be a fun downhill from the elevation profile but it was probably the worst part of the course for me with all of the rocks. Timber Mesa was a fun ride towards the end of the course as it was very swoopy and fast.

Highly recommend the race as it is in a beautiful location (although I'm sure southern CO is much nicer) and the race is very well supported. I can't wait to do it again this year!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Let me be the loan voice of dissent: this race SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all honesty, this course kicked my ass. I did the 60-miler on a HT, SS. I probably hit every gosh darn rock on the damn trail. It was my first, probably not my last, time doing the race, and from what I understand, I got darn lucky weather wise. The weather was ideal and not a drop of rain.

As I mentioned above, the course was bumpy (although in all sincerity, I found out after the fact that I'm clueless on how to adjust my fork), and lots of jagged lava rocks. I do recall quite a lot of flats, my guess mostly due to running tubes and lower pressure, as there are some steepish climbs. But the course itself, in some places, is very rocky, so I'd recommend something with some beefier sidewalls. Tread-wise, however, low profile is fine.

And just in case you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, the race was indeed a blast, and the racers and promoters all were stellar. My only issue is being told I could not use one of the local bike shop's bathrooms. But in their defensive, I did, at the time, look like a criminal.
    Well with all the stuff hanging out of your shorts already can you blame them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I did the 60 miler last year and it was fun. Todd always puts on awesome events. In my opinion the 24hr and Whiskey are even better. I ride a HT and I don't remember it being that rocky. Low pro tires will be fine if it doesn't rain. Camping is good, I would plan on bringing your own food because I don't recall there being much at the race venue (which is a few miles out of town).

I am Walt
    This is a great event; do it. I did the 35-miler last year, and thought it was an outstanding SS course, with no hard climbs to blow you up. It's an easier course than the Whiskey 25, for sure. I did hear about the nasty hike-a-bike on the 65-miler, so I'll check it out first-hand this year...I'm doing the 65.

Yeah, lots of rocks at various points, and Ice Cave will pound you a bit, but not too bad...I didn't mind it on my 29'er HT. I think it would suck; however, on a rigid...

Oh, re the rain...if it rains heavily in the days prior to the event, bag it. You want NO part of that course after heavy rains...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    After talking with ECEGatorTuro the other day, I'm convinced that this year will be my inaugural ride of the 35 miler. Really looking forward to the course as I typically ride 15-25 mile routes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I signed up for the 35 mile ride also! This will be my first crack at anything like this!

Good luck with that!
    Dec 2009
    anyone know how much climbing is involved in the 35? The 15-mile map shows 1300ft and the 65-mile map shows 5,000; but the 35-mile map doesn't have anything about how much climbing is involved.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffggardner
    anyone know how much climbing is involved in the 35? The 15-mile map shows 1300ft and the 65-mile map shows 5,000; but the 35-mile map doesn't have anything about how much climbing is involved.
    Here's my GPS data from last year...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16657153
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    This has been great, thanks for the info. Is it worth it to camp at the event, hotel up or in pitch a tent in the nearby NF? Does anyone have pcitures from the trails to share?

mtbr member
    Oh and a good pint of hoppy goodness!

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    This is a great event; do it. I did the 35-miler last year, and thought it was an outstanding SS course, with no hard climbs to blow you up. It's an easier course than the Whiskey 25, for sure. I did hear about the nasty hike-a-bike on the 65-miler, so I'll check it out first-hand this year...I'm doing the 65.

Yeah, lots of rocks at various points, and Ice Cave will pound you a bit, but not too bad...I didn't mind it on my 29'er HT. I think it would suck; however, on a rigid...

Oh, re the rain...if it rains heavily in the days prior to the event, bag it. You want NO part of that course after heavy rains...
    All true words. I've done the 35er the last two years... last year a bunch of work was done on the trails to make it a lot less technical and rocky. Ice Cave used to really pound the sh!t out of you. Plus, weather has held (two years ago it started to rain after the race but not during) and the course has been well marked.

Camping is good - just a big open field... a rutted dirt road gets you out there - someone in a civic or vw bug seems to always get stuck.

The great thing about the 35er is that the bulk of the real climbing is done on forest road, with single track for the downhill.

mtbr member
    Can anyone fill me on in what the aid stations are like? Do you have to go and put your own water there in advance, or is water provided? Planning on running a camelbak and two bottles, but not sure if I can fill up at an aid station if necessary.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cru_jones
    Can anyone fill me on in what the aid stations are like? Do you have to go and put your own water there in advance, or is water provided? Planning on running a camelbak and two bottles, but not sure if I can fill up at an aid station if necessary.

This event is very well supported , you will be able to fill up at the aid stations .

mtbr member
    I just ran two waterbottles for the 65 and filled up at the aid stations. The support for the race is fantastic and the aid stations are well supported! If you decide to run waterbottles, make sure they are full before the hard climb/hike-a-bike on the 65... its kind of a long way to the next aid station from that one!

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I just ran two waterbottles for the 65 and filled up at the aid stations. The support for the race is fantastic and the aid stations are well supported! If you decide to run waterbottles, make sure they are full before the hard climb/hike-a-bike on the 65... its kind of a long way to the next aid station from that one!
    the aid stations rock at this race - local volunteers come out with a whole range of snacks, and both gatorade and water. and if you make it through early enough, they've also had gu.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Smile Females Riding the 35mi.

I am riding the 60 mi. course with a friend, and my wife is riding the 35mi. She is looking to meet and possibly ride with another female of similar skill and endurance. Beginning/Intermediate technical skills and advanced intermediate cardio. We will be at the packet pick up around 3:00pm on Fri. The most important thing for her is to make it before the cutoff time, and finish. Paul, and Karla.

mtbr member
    My fiancée is doing the 35. PM me your info.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Members who have read this thread: 0