Tour of the White Mountains- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    106

    Tour of the White Mountains

    Does anyone have any gps data on either the 30 or 60? I would like to go out there and ride this weekend and if i could load it in my garmin that would be nice.

  2. #2
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,974

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    454
    Rumor(Sadcow told me) has it that the course will be different this year, with a new starting point and some different trails. Sadly, I'll have to miss it. Still recovering from surgery.

    Chad, did you edit out the part where we were lost and wandering around like idiots?
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

    Derailleurs are for failures!

  4. #4
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    Chad, did you edit out the part where we were lost and wandering around like idiots?
    Mark, you are not going? WTF? My endurance friends have either moved out of the state or injured.

    Last year, I was in the Top 10 during the fast start until I got lost twice, then the third time I got lost with you (and really lost) I got a flat. I knew it was bad when I got lost again and I started to pass old people doing the 30 mile (which started after our race) and got to the first aid station and it was crowded.

  5. #5
    In the rear with the beer
    Reputation: bigdudecycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    Rumor(Sadcow told me) has it that the course will be different this year, with a new starting point and some different trails. ?
    That is the rumor, new venue, new trails...even trails that weren't yet complete as of the last message from epic. I've only done this the year they put it all on fs roads b/c of the rain, I'm looking forward to the 60 this year...
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

  6. #6
    SDMB member
    Reputation: metallicatnaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    I'm looking forward to the 60 this year...
    You doing Rock y Road in October? Anyone thinking about doing the 60-mile should also do the R&R 50/50. I heard rumors about some sweet trophies this year to the all finishers.
    Everything I know, I learned from mountain biking.

  7. #7
    SDMB member
    Reputation: metallicatnaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    21
    Chad is just making excuses for barely making it back to the finish line alive. I know, I was there at the race taking down names.
    Everything I know, I learned from mountain biking.

  8. #8
    In the rear with the beer
    Reputation: bigdudecycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by metallicatnaz
    You doing Rock y Road in October? Anyone thinking about doing the 60-mile should also do the R&R 50/50. I heard rumors about some sweet trophies this year to the all finishers.
    90% sure i'm gonna do the 50/50...I'll be a rookie on it this year.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,147
    Is it too late to register for the Tour of the White Mountains? If not how do I?

  10. #10
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,298
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Is it too late to register for the Tour of the White Mountains? If not how do I?

    http://www.epicrides.com/towm/towm.htm




  11. #11
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,850
    You guys doing the 60, what kind of training are you doing (distance, frequency, weights, what ever) I did the 35 last year and was planning on either the 41 or 52 (based on last years event)

    Now that we just have the 30 & 60, I'm not sure how to go. Feedback?

    Thanks!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AZ_AlanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    I knew it was bad when I got lost again and I started to pass old people doing the 30 mile (which started after our race) and got to the first aid station and it was crowded.
    Ouch! - Dude!
    I was one of those "old people" doing the 30 miler (although I think I did the 42, getting old and can't remember) that you probably passed before the first aid station. This year I will wear a sign on my back "passing old person" so you can at least wave and say hi as you pass.

  13. #13
    In the rear with the beer
    Reputation: bigdudecycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    Now that we just have the 30 & 60, I'm not sure how to go. Feedback?

    Thanks!
    \\

    Go Big, bro...go Big!!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

  14. #14
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    \\

    Go Big, bro...go Big!!!
    That's what I'm talkin' about! I was in the endurance racing thread and saw some good info there too. I think it is more mental than physical for me. I know I can do the 30 tomorrow, but trying to convince myself I can go 60. I looked at the elevation profile and know just about all the climbing is in the first 30 miles or so....................

    I'm feelin'the 60!

  15. #15
    In the rear with the beer
    Reputation: bigdudecycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,314
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    That's what I'm talkin' about! I was in the endurance racing thread and saw some good info there too. I think it is more mental than physical for me. I know I can do the 30 tomorrow, but trying to convince myself I can go 60. I looked at the elevation profile and know just about all the climbing is in the first 30 miles or so....................

    I'm feelin'the 60!

    Lock it in. I'll probably be one of the last guys to cross the finish line, but it'll be a good day on the bike regardless. As long as you finish you have one up on your friends who only rode the 30....plus you don't want to do the 30 and be saying to yourself "man, I could have gone longer".....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

  16. #16
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling
    Lock it in. I'll probably be one of the last guys to cross the finish line, but it'll be a good day on the bike regardless. As long as you finish you have one up on your friends who only rode the 30....plus you don't want to do the 30 and be saying to yourself "man, I could have gone longer".....

    You are right man. My goal is to push myself more than I did last year, and 60 is the only option.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2
    Can you tell me more about the Tour? I've been to the website, but still have many unanswered questions. We have never ridden in the White Mountains. We've done Phoenix, Sedona, Flag, Tuscon.

    Is this a big party? It says "Tour", but there are "results" listed for previous years.

    Your info is greatly appreciated!

  18. #18
    livin' the dream......
    Reputation: tjkm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,850
    Did it last year, and it is the only 'orgainzed' bike event I've ever been involved with, so I don't have another venue to compare to. Here is my take:

    Party: yes, I camped at the site for the weekend along with many others. The night before the race was mellow and everyone was up early the morning of the race. After the riders were back in, there was food and beer. Awards were given out to top 3 in all the catagoreis, etc. After the beer pouring issues were worked out, all was good.

    Tour/race: I looked at it as a race since we were timed and given prizes (did not get one, but came close.!) Others may have a different take?

    Many people left as it got later, and there were about 25-30 people who hung in there at the camp fire and continued to work through the kegs of Redhook.

    I had a great time and am going again this year. Bring warm clothing, it got down into the upper 20's accoriding to my car thermometer last year!

  19. #19
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,974
    A race is only as good as its people and post-race party, one reason why the TWM was great last year was b/c of the gatherings before and after the race.

    Also, make sure to camp at the venue instead of getting a hotel like a lot of people did last year.

  20. #20
    slow uphill
    Reputation: orangedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm
    Party: yes, I camped at the site for the weekend along with many others.
    Just picked up a bike from a guy who told me about this race - looked into it and glad to see its coming up around the corner. Hoping to sign up depending upon work schedule.

    With the venue change, any idea on what things will look like for camping this year? General dispersion camping? Wouldn't mind finishing and then just dropping down for the night instead of driving back to phoenix.

  21. #21
    slow uphill
    Reputation: orangedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    A race is only as good as its people and post-race party, one reason why the TWM was great last year was b/c of the gatherings before and after the race.

    Also, make sure to camp at the venue instead of getting a hotel like a lot of people did last year.
    sweet. glad to hear this. will bring the tent.

  22. #22
    Ridin bikes is fun
    Reputation: surfndav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    784
    Iím going up to ride pre ride the course this Saturday (the 30), does anyone have a GPS of this course? Or at least a better description than is on the website. I did the Whiskey Off Road (the 25) in Prescott and Had a blast. I did that in 3:41, I see that this is about the same elevation and about half the climbing. Will this be as fun/as good of an event as the Whiskey was? Iím looking forward to it.
    Thanks
    Better than most, not as good as some.

  23. #23
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    Iím going up to ride pre ride the course this Saturday (the 30), does anyone have a GPS of this course?
    GPX file**

    IMHO, I think a weekend out of town would be better suited for Flagstaff instead of a pre-ride. Last year the race was a little on the ghetto side since we all got lost numerous times (paying $50 in the process). The best time is to be had during the post-race campfire and beer fest. Make sure not to miss it!


    **Please note: The "Ice Cave Connector Trail" has not been constructed yet. It will be ready by event day, but currently doesn't exist! Same goes for a very short portion of the route near FR9722 and Porter Mtn Road. If pre-riding, simple detour on paved Porter Mtn Road to FR9722.

  24. #24
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,974
    Oh, and you have a GPS, bring it with the GPX file of your race on it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •