Tom's Thumb to East End - just a mess- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Tom's Thumb to East End - just a mess

I havent ridden this in a few years since its degraded so much. Heard it was cleaned up. Apparently I heard wrong. TT from the west is just a mess for miles. East End has ruts going parallel and perpendicular to the trail. It is what it is -- I remember riding these two about 10 years ago when they first opened and were in such good shape. Alas.

Dont waste your time.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatbomb
    Thanks for the heads up.

livin' the dream......
    Yep. I rode up TT and down EE a while back, and it is a total shit show. I don't mind those trails at all when I run them, but not too enjoyable on the bike.

I have said this to others, but I believe there is an unwritten intent to make riding the central area trails as unappealing as possible, and shift that bike traffic to ride Pima/Dynamite/Browns/Gooseneck area, keeping trails like EE, Bell Pass, and the others for foot traffic.

I am glad we have what we have up north, but the central area trails (gateway, etc) need a refresh and some additional trails added to the existing network.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkm View Post
    I am glad we have what we have up north, but the central area trails (gateway, etc) need a refresh and some additional trails added to the existing network.
    yes x 1000! If the A-K trail can be built, why not a similar design on the west side of the McD's!
    I love the Browns stuff, but c'mon, there's probably 60-80 miles in there now. Time for the passes to get a little love.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    yes x 1000! If the A-K trail can be built, why not a similar design on the west side of the McD's!
    I love the Browns stuff, but c'mon, there's probably 60-80 miles in there now. Time for the passes to get a little love.
    The A-K trail should be the gold standard for trail design for the central and south areas of the preserve. There are so many cool opportunities for connections and new trails on to the higher peaks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Me and my bike hiked up to TT last winter. It sucked

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Brown's is good, but there is absolutely nothing out there that scares me, and not that much that really makes you go WOW like the top of the passes. Next time I talk to some of the City and Preserve Commission I'm going to inquire to tjkm's conspiracy. . All 4 major passes have just declined steadily and you can barely see the ground on most of them now, that's not really fun for hikers or trail runners either. Horses surely hate it. My guess is the money and resources went so much into Browns and the DDC bullshit, perhaps now attention can be turned back to maintenance.

Another reason to vote for me for City Council in 2020!!!

recovering roadie
    How's Windgate right now? I've assumed that the October storms were hard on it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Windgate, gateway, and Bell are riding OK right now. Itís probably chunkier than before, but still rideable and the normal HAB sections. Ymmv.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    Brown's is good, but there is absolutely nothing out there that scares me, and not that much that really makes you go WOW like the top of the passes. Next time I talk to some of the City and Preserve Commission I'm going to inquire to tjkm's conspiracy. . All 4 major passes have just declined steadily and you can barely see the ground on most of them now, that's not really fun for hikers or trail runners either. Horses surely hate it. My guess is the money and resources went so much into Browns and the DDC bullshit, perhaps now attention can be turned back to maintenance.

Another reason to vote for me for City Council in 2020!!!
    Got my vote!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    How's Windgate right now? I've assumed that the October storms were hard on it.
    last week came down Windgate on my bike, and also hiked Bell. Both have gotten a bit rockier, could use some genuine trail maintenance. But nothing dramatically different than the last few yrs.