Tom and his @%&$^**! Thumb- Mtbr.com
    gravity challenged
    May 2009

Tom and his @%&$^**! Thumb

Went hiking, er I mean biking, today on Tom's Thumb (first time). Nice trail, beautiful spot up there, but wow did that thing kick my butt. Dropped down the backside, East End was a hoot, then back up Bell over and down. I guess that means I did my first double bypass. Won't be doing that again any time soon! Much respect to those of you guys and gals that do that ride and then think, "gee that was fun, think I'll keep going to Sunrise and make it a quad!" Stellar athletes for sure.

Best part of the day was sitting at the top of the trail near Tom's Thumb, munching on a PBJ, when up the trail walks a guy that looks vaguely familiar along with his son. We start chatting a little, turns out he's an old friend who I lost touch with some 18 years ago. Was cool to see him and get back in touch.

Pivotal figure
    That climb is kinda relentless huh
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    At least there aren't too many switchbacks
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    At least there aren't too many switchbacks
    haha!

Tough climb for sure, but I'm looking forward to it again soon.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    +1 for first time. This morning went up Tom's, around East end, back over and down Wingate. Very grueling, very exciting. Had it not taken me forever to get up there, I would probably had made it down before the hundreds (it seemed) of hikers started up. Beautiful scenery, awesome morning.

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Yeah, not many switchbacks and not too steep... I think you could have measured my time with a calendar!

mtbr member
    Well played!

The slippery crushed granite on a steep decent is kinda challenging too.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Well played!

The slippery crushed granite on a steep decent is kinda challenging too.
    Hard to slow down going down that back side with all the loose crushed granite for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Hard to slow down going down that back side with all the loose crushed granite for sure.

I tried very hard not to skid, and felt somewhat guilty when I did, but holy crap was that steep. I did quite well going down the back (certainly better than going up the front), but a couple of the switchbacks were pretty sketchy.

mtbr member
    haha that climb to the top is a *****! Very worth it for the return down to the bottom though. Great views, amazing trails, really well done props to the trail builders and the Preserve. Congrats on your first venture up there. Even though it is not that big of a ride in terms of mileage it is truly an accomplishment getting to the top of that thing.

Trail Monger
    Does anyone want to rate the ride down east end? I walked up it to ride down Tom's Thumb. I blew a sidewall and was not rewarded the normal ride down Tom's Thumb. I passed 10 or more riding down east end and figured that was sketchy and harder that down TT. I patched up the sidewall with duct tape and still rode all the way back to gateway TH. I am planning to do it from the north TH. Any suggestions on directions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    Does anyone want to rate the ride down east end? I walked up it to ride down Tom's Thumb. I blew a sidewall and was not rewarded the normal ride down Tom's Thumb. I passed 10 or more riding down east end and figured that was sketchy and harder that down TT. I patched up the sidewall with duct tape and still rode all the way back to gateway TH. I am planning to do it from the north TH. Any suggestions on directions?

I don't know that I can "rate" it, but-. I went up TT and it kicked my a$$ and I certainly didn't pedal all of it, maybe only half of it. I stayed on the bike all of the way down EE, but a few of the switch backs I definitely dabbed heavily. I was very whipped going back over Wingate, did some pushing going up, but was a great ride down. I was on a Stumpjumper 29er, 4" travel, Weirwolf/Exiwolf combo. Definitely more of an XC setup than AM, but the bike ate it up. My typical 3-5 hour SoMo rides can't even compare in exertion level to this ride, and self preservation was the limiting factor for me. Being as I've only done it once, I can't give any suggestions, but I WILL do it again.

Ahhh the pain....
    I've ridden up TT and down EE once... I've hiked up the trail from the north and as I did it, I thought it was no place for a bike... basically decomposed granite and very steep. It seemed even difficult to hike in places.

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Definitely no shame in dabs and/or HAB as needed for self preservation up there. I walked plenty on the way up, and even a couple of short spots on the way down. The trail will present you with ample opportunities to get hurt if not careful!

Now that I've had a day to recoup, I ***may*** do this loop again sometime. It really is beautiful up there.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by azoutside
    Definitely no shame in dabs and/or HAB as needed for self preservation up there. I walked plenty on the way up, and even a couple of short spots on the way down. The trail will present you with ample opportunities to get hurt if not careful!

Now that I've had a day to recoup, I ***may*** do this loop again sometime. It really is beautiful up there.

No shame at all! For me, I rode all but a couple of short sections, but, I couldn't make most of the tight switchbacks and had to walk them - and after a while it is a lot of them.

mtbr member
    My buddy Tyler and I started up Tom's thumb from the Basha's at about 7 this morning.....It was UNREAL up there this morning!!!! The fog, the greenery, the views.....just epic this morning. We rode over to mcdowell mountain park to watch a road race out there and all I could think about looking at all the roadies covered in dirty water looking miserable was how glad I was that I mountain bike and how it afforded me opportunities like the one I had this morning.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Beautiful up there is right. I will definitely be taking my wife and son hiking up there. It is very worth the effort. Although, once my wife sees it, she may not want me to ride it again. I did come home with some very nice abrasions Saturday from a tip over and tumble down some rocks in one of those nice up hill switchbacks.

Members who have read this thread: 0