Tom;s Thumb beta- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,152

    Tom;s Thumb beta

    I want to ride Tom's thumb after work tommorow morning in prep for the Quad and to put the new Niner through its paces. I have never ridden out in the area. Can someone give me detailed directions to the trail head and how to find the trail. I'll be drviing from Cave Creek and Carefree. Plan to start riding about 8 am

  2. #2
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,344
    do you have a gps...if so, you can grab the gpx off of this site, a couple of threads down.




  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,152
    My gps is a cheapo. Cant Download

  4. #4
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,344
    you can still view it in topofusion though and do a screen print of the topo with the track...check the AES McDowell 60 thread below for links to the gpx.




  5. #5
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,241
    There are 2 TH's - 104th St. and Bell, or Thompson Peak just north of Bell. You can also park at the Bashas at 100th\Bell. Prolly best to take 101 around the top of the Valley, exit Pima\Princess, stay on Frontage road 1 mile to Bell, head east.

    do a search for scottsdale mcdowell preserve there are excellent maps that the city had on there with all the turns and topo. Its about 6.5 miles to the top, ~2k. You can return how you went up, or descend East End and make your way over to Bell Pass or Windgate. The latter route adds a few miles and maybe 30 min. See the city maps. Plan on some hiking up, and maybe down depending on your skillz on steep switchbacks. You won't have much company on a weekday, so again depending on your comfort level with the descent...be careful.

    search for Quad Bypass, or more specifically the Gnar Bypass, and there should be gps and topos all over the place.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,152
    Ok found a city map. Looks like I start at the Gateway TH. Take the Gateway trail NE. E on Windgate Pass then NE again on Tom's thumb. Do I need to take the Lookout trail to the top?

  7. #7
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Ok found a city map. Looks like I start at the Gateway TH. Take the Gateway trail NE. E on Windgate Pass then NE again on Tom's thumb. Do I need to take the Lookout trail to the top?
    there are a few quick turns at the bottom, they are all signed. *I think* you follow Gateway Loop ~ CCW to Windgate. After about 3 miles up Windgate, the Gateway loop will rejoin from the left. .4 miles further is the TT split, off to the left.

    Once on top of TT, you can just turn around, or head east along the ridgeline for a while through a boulder garden to a 3-way intersection with East End and North Access. Lookout trail is a spur to a point, i've never taken it.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  8. #8
    ...
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,378
    Not sure what route the Quad is taking up TT, but if you are coming from Cave Creek, your closest trailhead for TT is the northern one. The one we walked up this past weekend for the McDowell 60(50).

    To get to the north trail head, go south to Dynamite. Go east on Dynamite, past Alma School road (where it becomes Rio Verde). South on 128th (this is a dirt road so don't bring the Ferrari). Take that to the very end and go east on the dirt road (Paraiso). Go down Paraiso until you see the sign directing you south to the TT trailhead.

    Don't bother with the Lookout trail, unless you just want to see the view.


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Just personal opinion here...
    but the ride up and down Tom's kind of sucks.
    Granted I went the "wrong" way (up East End Trail, thanks azdog) and its just ridiculously steep and eroded. Just a long hike-a-bike.

    Going down the other side was ok. The switchbacks were fun, sort of challenging, but the trail was so steep and tight that you just had to ride your brakes the whole way down. As soon as you let go, you'd go Mach 10 off the mountain.

    Just my experience. I doubt I'll ride it again anytime soon.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,152
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Just personal opinion here...
    but the ride up and down Tom's kind of sucks.
    Granted I went the "wrong" way (up East End Trail, thanks azdog) and its just ridiculously steep and eroded. Just a long hike-a-bike.

    Going down the other side was ok. The switchbacks were fun, sort of challenging, but the trail was so steep and tight that you just had to ride your brakes the whole way down. As soon as you let go, you'd go Mach 10 off the mountain.

    Just my experience. I doubt I'll ride it again anytime soon.
    Looking at the map and reading about the Quad. Would Windgate be a better option?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Looking at the map and reading about the Quad. Would Windgate be a better option?
    Windgate is still a good climb, but its actually doable, where TT isn't.

    While I don't mind HAB and will hike up to ride a sweet DH, TT has no reward and since you are hiking nearly the whole way, I don't think it really counts.

    Edit - if anyone can actually CLIMB up Tom's on their bike the whole way, you are my hero. I don't think its possible.

  12. #12
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Windgate is still a good climb, but its actually doable, where TT isn't.

    While I don't mind HAB and will hike up to ride a sweet DH, TT has no reward and since you are hiking nearly the whole way, I don't think it really counts.

    Edit - if anyone can actually CLIMB up Tom's on their bike the whole way, you are my hero. I don't think its possible.
    Kavu - with respect, East End soured you. I hope never to go up it. going up from Scottsdale is tough, but much of it is gettable, and the terrain is wonderful - you don't soak it in as much on the way down that side. I agree that the descents are not on par with Holbert, 24th etc. Its always a satisfying to hear fast racers talk about walking them down (after they crush me on the way up...). But for tough tight XC switchies with great views, I enjoy them every time. I think for Fiveo since he's new to these trails, it will be fun.

    Fiveo - Windgate, in any direction, is my least favorite of everything in the McDs. Lots of embedded rocks, without much flow imo. Its all gettable, but I've never gotten it all cause its so tiring. You go about 2/3ds up Windgate to get to the TT turnoff - so if you want more of the same, continue up Windgate. TT is unique, but will hurt. My guess is you will follow the traditional Quad route on your first Quad, rather than the Gnardruple route, so if you want to do some pre-ride follow Windgate up\over then do Bell and home. Still will be a good first time in the McDs for you.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    300
    Windgate is one of my favorite climbs in the McDowell's, I can clean both sides almost every time. I hate Tom's Thumb though, but only because I can't ride the switchbacks.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Just personal opinion here...
    but the ride up and down Tom's kind of sucks.
    Granted I went the "wrong" way (up East End Trail, thanks azdog) and its just ridiculously steep and eroded. Just a long hike-a-bike.

    Going down the other side was ok. The switchbacks were fun, sort of challenging, but the trail was so steep and tight that you just had to ride your brakes the whole way down. As soon as you let go, you'd go Mach 10 off the mountain.

    Just my experience. I doubt I'll ride it again anytime soon.
    All of this is because you suck at riding/owning bikes.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Kavu - with respect, East End soured you. I hope never to go up it. going up from Scottsdale is tough, but much of it is gettable, and the terrain is wonderful - you don't soak it in as much on the way down that side. I agree that the descents are not on par with Holbert, 24th etc. Its always a satisfying to hear fast racers talk about walking them down (after they crush me on the way up...). But for tough tight XC switchies with great views, I enjoy them every time. I think for Fiveo since he's new to these trails, it will be fun.
    That's very possible.

    I cleaned all the switchbacks going down the other side the first time, I guess I thought it was going to be more challenging. I will have to try it going the other direction next time then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidhucker
    All of this is because you suck at riding/owning bikes.
    You fail at life. Go away.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    I like a challenge and will go the wrong way anytime on any trail just to say I have done it. I personally don't care if I have to hike a bike or not. For me it's all a part of the experience.

    After doing your route, I figured out that you hike up the gnarly stuff so you can bomb down the easy part.

    Going down East End would be much more fun.

  17. #17
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,284
    I like a challenge and will go the wrong way anytime on any trail just to say I have done it. I personally don't care if I have to hike a bike or not. For me it's all a part of the experience.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  18. #18
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,284
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider

    After doing your route, I figured out that you hike up the gnarly stuff so you can bomb down the easy part.

    Going down East End would be much more fun.
    Nope just didn't have any "beta" and went exploring. I really didn't know which way was "best" but didn't care either.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Nope just didn't have any "beta" and went exploring. I really didn't know which way was "best" but didn't care either.
    You did the same thing with Goat Camp.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,152
    Ok so after driving around I bit I finally found the TH parking. I have to admit I felt a little nervous and excited looking at the mountain. Since moving out here from SoCal I have gotten away from climbing. (I live on the west side and not many big climbs out here). Unloaded the bike, suited up, pumped up the tires, (new bike needs sealant in the tubeless set up) Only to find out..I LEFT MY FREAKYING SHOES!. I thought there were in my gear box. I forgot i did i quick local ride Monday and didn't throw my shoes back in their normal spot. Totally bummed I headed home. Wiffy meet me on her way to work with my shoes and I salvaged the morning by riding Deems Hill or the first time. Going back to Windgate Monday.

  21. #21
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,284
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    You did the same thing with Goat Camp.
    Yep but rode up the chunk and came down the chunk.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Yep but walked up the chunk and walked down the chunk.
    Fixed.


  23. #23
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I cleaned all the switchbacks going down the other side the first time.
    On your unicycle with one eye closed?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    On your unicycle with one eye closed?
    Pretty much.

  25. #25
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,344
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Ok so after driving around I bit I finally found the TH parking. I have to admit I felt a little nervous and excited looking at the mountain. Since moving out here from SoCal I have gotten away from climbing. (I live on the west side and not many big climbs out here). Unloaded the bike, suited up, pumped up the tires, (new bike needs sealant in the tubeless set up) Only to find out..I LEFT MY FREAKYING SHOES!. I thought there were in my gear box. I forgot i did i quick local ride Monday and didn't throw my shoes back in their normal spot. Totally bummed I headed home. Wiffy meet me on her way to work with my shoes and I salvaged the morning by riding Deems Hill or the first time. Going back to Windgate Monday.

    Bummer....I've never done that before.....three times......once for a Flagstaff ride after driving 2.5 hrs north.....




  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: u2metoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,901
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Bummer....I've never done that before.....three times......once for a Flagstaff ride after driving 2.5 hrs north.....
    Oh yeah, you missed a primo day in Sedona too.

  27. #27
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Ok so after driving around I bit I finally found the TH parking. I have to admit I felt a little nervous and excited looking at the mountain. Since moving out here from SoCal I have gotten away from climbing. (I live on the west side and not many big climbs out here). Unloaded the bike, suited up, pumped up the tires, (new bike needs sealant in the tubeless set up) Only to find out..I LEFT MY FREAKYING SHOES!. I thought there were in my gear box. I forgot i did i quick local ride Monday and didn't throw my shoes back in their normal spot. Totally bummed I headed home. Wiffy meet me on her way to work with my shoes and I salvaged the morning by riding Deems Hill or the first time. Going back to Windgate Monday.
    Bummer. Well I made it up TT today somehow. I think Tom gave me a middle finger instead of a thumbs up. Wow what a brutal climb up from Gateway. I actually took the Desert Park loop to that access road/trail to bypass all of the Windgate climb. Since it was my first attempt I didnt want to over do it. I lost count of how many times I had to stop to catch my breath. I think I made about 6-7 switchbacks heading up and only missed 3 coming back down. I took TT to the East End intersection and turned around.

    I really have total respect for all of you who can climb these trails without stopping let alone that quad bypass insanity. I doubt I will ever be that good but I still have a blast out there. Learn to love the pain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tom;s Thumb beta-tt_1.jpg  

    Tom;s Thumb beta-tt_2.jpg  

    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  28. #28
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Oh yeah, you missed a primo day in Sedona too.
    and there was a Somo day not long ago. ironic, since you got me hooked on having a go-box.

    fwiw, the weekend before the first Quad Bypass, we got halfway to Rocky Point when my wife informed me that she neglected to pack any front wheels. 12oz curls are not effective Bypass training.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  29. #29
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1
    I doubt I will ever be that good but I still have a blast out there. Learn to love the pain.
    the first Quad Bypass destroyed me. but each one since and the AES 50 have been...not easy...but in my comfort zone. Keep trying!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  30. #30
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Kavu - with respect, East End soured you. I hope never to go up it. going up from Scottsdale is tough, but much of it is gettable, and the terrain is wonderful - you don't soak it in as much on the way down that side. I agree that the descents are not on par with Holbert, 24th etc. Its always a satisfying to hear fast racers talk about walking them down (after they crush me on the way up...). But for tough tight XC switchies with great views, I enjoy them every time. I think for Fiveo since he's new to these trails, it will be fun.

    Fiveo - Windgate, in any direction, is my least favorite of everything in the McDs. Lots of embedded rocks, without much flow imo. Its all gettable, but I've never gotten it all cause its so tiring. You go about 2/3ds up Windgate to get to the TT turnoff - so if you want more of the same, continue up Windgate. TT is unique, but will hurt. My guess is you will follow the traditional Quad route on your first Quad, rather than the Gnardruple route, so if you want to do some pre-ride follow Windgate up\over then do Bell and home. Still will be a good first time in the McDs for you.

    Ditto, I love going up TT from the west and descending down the east. While I do have to stop at many of the switchbacks because I can't seems to make many of them, I do pedal every inch up that trail and honestly enjoy it. The descent on the east side is fun as heck.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,152
    Im going to try and ride up Windgate back down, then up and down Bell (Is that the double by pass?) to judge my readiness for the quad. What time limit should be looking at to be able to keep up with the group?

  32. #32
    parenting for gnarness
    Reputation: chollaball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6,241
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Im going to try and ride up Windgate back down, then up and down Bell (Is that the double by pass?) to judge my readiness for the quad. What time limit should be looking at to be able to keep up with the group?
    1.5-3, including breaks. 3 would put you in the slower groups
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

  33. #33
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,565
    fiveo, I'm no expert and only have done the quad once (last year), but ride a bunch out in the McDowells. When I was preparing for it last year, I did a bunch of double bypasses (up west side of wingate, down east side, up east side of bell, down west side of bell. That loop is about 10ish miles. I also did a bunch of big doubles since IMHO, I think it's a better barometer of readiness. A big double is where you do the outer loop of the quad...paradise, quartz, tailesin, jeep rd, sunrise, jeep road, sonoran, dixie mine, windmill, wingate. That loop is about 24ish miles. If you can complete that outer loop in under 5 or so hours and not feel completely spent, you're probably ready.
    I guess I'd use the analogy that how fast you run a sprint doesn't tell you if you're ready for a marathon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.