Thread: Tires / Sedona

mtbr member

Tires / Sedona

Before I get flamed, for using the search feature I have a slightly different twist. (and using Google typically has brought me to posts that say use the search feature).

Here in SD, I have 3 tire combinations I like to use. First is Maxxis DHF Minion 2.3 (F), and HR II 2.3 (R). Second is Ardent 2.2 (F) and Ardent Race 2.2 (R). Third is Nobby Nic 2.3 (F), and Nobby Nic 2.2 (R).

A few more what / how / where do you typically ride stuff:

My bike is a Pivot Mach 6.

I am an intermediate (starting to touch advanced) rider that logs 3500 plus miles per year. I weigh 225 kitted.

I put the Ardent setup on when I know the trail will be mostly flow with some tech.

I put the DHF / HRII setup on when there will be more tech and climbing will be minimal.

The NN setup is the lightest of the three, but always love the cornering traction of the Maxxis tires. Traction on the NN setup isn't terrible however.

All setups run tubeless.

My friend I will be hitting SoMo and Sedona soon and wanted to get opinions of which of these three would be optimal. I am aware that the usual "traction / thorn protection vs. weight and rollability" applies - and that is what I am trying to figure out.

Thanks for any insights.

mtbr member
    Id say the Minion / HR combo. Great tires. Just make sure they are the thicker/stronger sidewall ones. Arizona is sharp. Have fun. Somo and Sedona are both amazing.

Yeah I'm tired of people flaming for the search feature. It's just a question.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Formerly of Kent
    I love Schwalbe tires, but their compounds seems to be for more "East Coast" riding conditions.

Meaning, sandstone like you find out west (UT, AZ) just eats them alive. Wear down to nothing quite quickly.

One brand that doesn't get enough press for their tire line is Bontrager. I've been very impressed with them. An XR4/XR3 or XR3/XR3 2.35 TI combo would be great on that bike, and that terrain, I'd imagine.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I love Schwalbe tires, but their compounds seems to be for more "East Coast" riding conditions.

Meaning, sandstone like you find out west (UT, AZ) just eats them alive. Wear down to nothing quite quickly.

One brand that doesn't get enough press for their tire line is Bontrager. I've been very impressed with them. An XR4/XR3 or XR3/XR3 2.35 TI combo would be great on that bike, and that terrain, I'd imagine.
    I have ridden Bontrager - agree - great tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Id say the Minion / HR combo. Great tires. Just make sure they are the thicker/stronger sidewall ones. Arizona is sharp. Have fun. Somo and Sedona are both amazing.

Yeah I'm tired of people flaming for the search feature. It's just a question.
    How about HR II front, Ardent Rear?

mtbr member
    I run DHF / DHF here in Sedona and they work really well in most conditions and hold up well to abuse. HR2 or DHF / Ardent is another popular option here.

Formerly of Kent
    Re: search function.

I find it much, much easier to use Google. Type in "Sedona tires MTBR" and you'll undoubtedly get much better results.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    How about HR II front, Ardent Rear?
    That's the combo I have been using lately in both Sedona and around the valley. I have been pretty happy with the HR II up front. The ardent has been kind of meh for me, but I keep it on there for the lower rolling resistance with decent traction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have never realized how much thought mountain bikers put into what tires they should be using.

My god this sport is dorky.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I have never realized how much thought mountain bikers put into what tires they should be using.

My god this sport is dorky.
    You started a "stoke" thread with a bikepacking video in it. What image were you looking to project with that?

Also, Ardents, Ikons, and such, are dirt-roadie tires that can't handle the hard, long, whipping and pumping sessions without leaking viscous, milky, fluid all over the place.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    You started a "stoke" thread with a bikepacking video in it. What image were you looking to project with that?

Also, Ardents, Ikons, and such, are dirt-roadie tires that can't handle the hard, long, whipping and pumping sessions without leaking viscous, milky, fluid all over the place.
    HAHA! Fair enough....

I was trying for anything other than the same old boring crap!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post

Ever considered the possibility that other people might be able to ride faster than you, on less grippy tires, simply because they are better than you?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I second the minion/ardent combo, bc Sedona is lots of pedaling, but traction is important. If I were in your shoes, it would depend on which tires you have that are already the most beat up, bc the desert will wear them out, so no use in taking any new tires. I'll be rolling and older magic mary and minion ss in a couple of weeks.
    http://www.mountainbikeSF.com - Guided Mountain Biking in the San Francisco Bay Area

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ever considered the possibility that other people might be able to ride faster than you, on less grippy tires, simply because they are better than you?
    No, I've never seen someone fix a flat/gashed open tire while moving, not even I can do that.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What about Purgatory/Ground Control? I know that was not on the list, but its what I ride here in VT most of the time.

I may have mistakenly purchases Hans Dampf/NN, but did not thinking I'd just ride them back in VT after my trip to Sedona in a few weeks.

Got a suspension fork
    Le Duke, I am using some Schwalbe MTB tires for the first time. The new formulated Nobby Nic's that came out last year. I never rode the old NN's, but am a convert already on this tire. Grip is terrific, really too soon to comment on the longevity other than to say that they're not wearing quickly.

btw, it's the Nobby Nic HS463 Pacestar EVO 29x2.35 (actual measurement is 2.25 aired up.) Not what I consider a high volume tire but works well.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    What about Purgatory/Ground Control? I know that was not on the list, but its what I ride here in VT most of the time.

I may have mistakenly purchases Hans Dampf/NN, but did not thinking I'd just ride them back in VT after my trip to Sedona in a few weeks.
    Purgatory / Ground Control is what I had on my old 26 inch bike and they work great here in Arizona. Sadly, two weeks ago I cracked that frame so now riding new 27.5 inch bike which came with the new style Nobby Nics. I'm running the Nobby's tubeless and I have to say I'm not very impressed. They are ok on rock but not nearly as much traction on hardpack and sand -- they break loose way too soon on fast and flowy trail sections -- not dangerous but highly annoying when a few weeks go I was railing berms on the purgartory / ground control combo. I'll probably replace the nobby nicks with specialized butcher / purgatory combination. I demoed a stumpjumper fsr that had that combination in Sedona at the bike festival which worked really well.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    Purgatory / Ground Control is what I had on my old 26 inch bike and they work great here in Arizona. Sadly, two weeks ago I cracked that frame so now riding new 27.5 inch bike which came with the new style Nobby Nics. I'm running the Nobby's tubeless and I have to say I'm not very impressed. They are ok on rock but not nearly as much traction on hardpack and sand -- they break loose way too soon on fast and flowy trail sections -- not dangerous but highly annoying when a few weeks go I was railing berms on the purgartory / ground control combo. I'll probably replace the nobby nicks with specialized butcher / purgatory combination. I demoed a stumpjumper fsr that had that combination in Sedona at the bike festival which worked really well.
    I've been a long time user of the Nobby Nic on the front tire and have (2) friends that run then front and rear...(1) on a Yeti SB5 and the other on a YT Capra. Since they like them so much, I put one on the rear of my new 5010 for our PHX trip and I wasn't impressed at all. I had the Butcher on the front (I'm loving that tire). That NN will definitely be off the bike before I go to Gooseberry in May. Probably going back to the Ground Control myself....