Tires- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tires

Si vales, valeo.

Tires

(I was asked to move this thread to the AZ forum by the moderator - so here it is)

Right now I am running 2.5 Big Earls with Stan's on RhynoLite rims. I want a tire that is close to that in size and is compatible with Stan's that is good for the desert terrain here in AZ. I do light freeriding with some trail/xc as well on my hardtail freeride bike.

What would be a good tire combination for this setup? (I'll post a list of some of the ones I was thinking about below, but please feel free to give me your opinion.)

Maxxis Minion DHF/High Roller combo
    Panaracer Fire FR Pro 2.4
    Kenda Nevagal/Blue Groove
    Schwalbe Fat Albert
    Hutchinson Spider(?)

I think I am leaning towards the Maxxis combo, but I have very little knowledge and experience in this area.

Thanks in advance!

Saucy Size
    I personally love the Kenda combo in 2.5 on my "big" bike but that is a LOT of tire to pedal around. It's also not Stan's-compatible, at least according to Stan (and Kenda -- they put a big "do not run this without a tube" warning on their package IIRC). That said, I know plenty of people do it with pretty good luck. I'd be interested in trying the 2.3 version at some point for a less-heavy version.

I like the Maxxis tires but, again, a lot to pedal around.

Tried, and hated, the Spiders. Thin sidewall, lots of cuts. An easily cut sidewall is a dealbreaker for me in most cases, particularly with UST.

Don't know anything about the Schwalbes but I know a couple folks here have used them.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I cant comment on the 2.5's but I think the standard Nevegals arent that great for
    traction on the loose climbs, you spin out pretty easily and the front washes under
    going thru sandy sections. If the 2.5's have the same tread pattern, I imagine they
    wouldnt be much better. They do hold up pretty well, though. I havent had any
    problems with the knobs shredding. I'm planning on switching to WTB
    Velociraptors front and rear, they seem to get pretty good reviews for desert
    conditions, but those are 2.1s.

EDR
    I recently purchased a 2.4 Specialized Enduro Pro UST for the front of my 575. It is an awesome tire but is big and heavy. That's exactly what I wanted for my decent down Mt. Lemmon. Overkill for most other trails??? Maybe, but I'm gonna stick with it as I love the big, aggressive knobbies......I'm not a 'weight weenie' so to speak.

Si vales, valeo.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I recently purchased a 2.4 Specialized Enduro Pro UST for the front of my 575. It is an awesome tire but is big and heavy. That's exactly what I wanted for my decent down Mt. Lemmon. Overkill for most other trails??? Maybe, but I'm gonna stick with it as I love the big, aggressive knobbies......I'm not a 'weight weenie' so to speak.
    I am not a weight weenie either, as the Big Earls I currently run weight 1300 a piece, (plus I have 4 ounces of Stan's in them as well.)

It rains here. :(
    I'm for the Maxxis tires. I run a Minion DHR with a Lopes Bling Bling, (although I wanted a High Roller at the time but they didn't have any). I use the 2.35 and I rarely have any slipping on loose rocks and none on the solid stuff. Check out this thread also:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=248634

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Maxxis Minion DHF/High Roller combo is what I run and am very happy with it's performance on south mountain... but I ride a 7and7 rig.
    If I get out of the saddle and stand on the pedals, I can spin the high roller when climbing pretty easily.
    For a hardtail, and more pedal oriented rear, I'd likely look at the Minion DHR out back. The High Roller works great under braking/cornering, but, if climbing was important to me it'd not be my first choice.
    The DH Maxis tires are tough as nails. I would not run the super tacky version... unless you have loads of $ to replace worn tires often... I run the 60a. And even at that the High Roller is wearing quicker than I would have thought... and I'm not big on skidding.
    My bike, Slayer 70

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Wait a minute ...

There is something missing from this thread ... What kind of HT bike do you take FR? I would call it the last of a dieing breed, probably better termed a 'never been'??

Oh, I miss my Surly

I vote Minion 2.5 front and rear if'n you don't mind the weight, 2.35 if you do.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Si vales, valeo.
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    There is something missing from this thread ... What kind of HT bike do you take FR? I would call it the last of a dieing breed, probably better termed a 'never been'??

Oh, I miss my Surly

I vote Minion 2.5 front and rear if'n you don't mind the weight, 2.35 if you do.
    I only do light FR, but I ride a 2005 GF GED with full Saint gear and single ring/Ethirteen guide and guard.

I don't mind the weight on the 2.5's so much as that is what I am currently running anyway.

Thanks though.

Members who have read this thread: 0