Tire Suggestion- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire Suggestion

Ahhh the pain....

Tire Suggestion

All the information I've been able to put my hands on says that running non-UST tires tubeless isn't a great idea due to the susceptibility of sidewall issues (of non-ust tires). Are there particular non-UST tires that you've found to be "tough enough" for tubeless ? I do XC riding, generally run a 2.1" tire, at around 25-27 psi...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Huh?

Hundreds of folks -- me included -- run regular tires in a tubeless configuration, either Stan's or ghetto. My personal anecdotal findings are that Maxxis and Panaracer tires tend to seal better. I love Kenda but never could get any of those tires to seal up personally.

My other ride is your mom
    No issue whatsoever running regular tires in a tubeless config if you are generally doing XC....I've just begun to branch out into more gnar and I'm still not convinced I need a double ply sidewall.....now if I was hitting the gnar every couple days a week like some...then I would reevaluate....

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Huh?

Hundreds of folks -- me included -- run regular tires in a tubeless configuration, either Stan's or ghetto. My personal anecdotal findings are that Maxxis and Panaracer tires tend to seal better. I love Kenda but never could get any of those tires to seal up personally.
    I can get my Kenda's to seal up just fine but will rip a hole in the sidewall here and there. I got about 400 miles out of my last one, the tread was wearing down but had some more life in it. Still worth it though IMO.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, as I said, anecdotal. Personally, I tried to seal the following Kendas (26ers, obviously) on an XM321 rim both ghetto and with a Stan's freeride strip: Cortez (two different tires), Nevegal and SB8. None worked. I dearly loved those Cortez tires, too, for some reason.

mtbr member
    WTB tires work fantastic in this application... stay away from the ultralight race tires. The Nanos, Weirwolfs, and prowler 29er have all worked very well for me!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I should focus on the positives instead of negatives. The following are standard (non UST) tires I personally have made work tubeless using either a Stan's strip or ghetto (pipe tape or cut tube): Maxxis Ardent, Maxxis High Rollers, Panaracer Rampage, Maxxis Ignitor, Pacenti Neomoto (made by Panaracer).

I use an air compressor to set the bead and I've never (knock wood) lost a bead or blown off a tire on the trail. I run 23 psi front and 28 rear generally speaking.

May 2009
    Yep, as I said, anecdotal. Personally, I tried to seal the following Kendas (26ers, obviously) on an XM321 rim both ghetto and with a Stan's freeride strip: Cortez (two different tires), Nevegal and SB8. None worked. I dearly loved those Cortez tires, too, for some reason.
    That stinks... I would hate to give up my SB8 on the rear. Did you try C02? I have to use a cartridge to seal it up the first time; needs the quick blast of air. After that, when I need to add more sealant, I can use a normal compressor.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Straight blasts of air from my shop compressor at 140psi. Could get the beads seated, but got a lot of sealant leakage through the sidewalls.

May 2009
    Straight blasts of air from my shop compressor at 140psi. Could get the beads seated, but got a lot of sealant leakage through the sidewalls.
    Never had that problem.... I use a home brew sealant and they never bleed through the sidewalls. I will consider myself blessed.

Members who have read this thread: 0