Thread: tire help

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

tire help

I have searched and the question doesnt appear to be what people have been asking. After 2 years and no flats I had a flat today on my ghetto tubless setup. no burping but my extrememly flappy thin sidewall and carcass high roller finally gave way and got almost a 1/2" hole in it(made for a little walk out). I am running a 2.35 front and 2.1 rear maxxis high roller on both. I was thinking about going to a 2.5 front and throwing my 2.35 high roller to the rear. I was wondering for a general trail rider would this be too big/agressive? I ride this bike everywhere from smooth singletrack to rough and rocky to the TOWM 35 miler. I'm not really concerned with the weight but dont think I want an all DH monster on it. Something with a thick carcass(UST or standard) with thick sidewalls. So does that sound reasonable. If so what tire should I go for in 2.5(or close)? I have been refered to check out cont. diesel but what else is out there(was told my high roller is quite agressive/DH)? also what tire for the rear in a 2.35 or should I stay with the 2.1?
    Thanks in advance...

EDR
    As you know I just picked up some 2.5 HR's. It's a small 2.5. Smaller than my Schwalbe 2.35 Fat Alberts ust. Should be ok for general use but you could live with smaller, certainly in the rear. The Schwalbe UST line with Snakeskin sidewalls are excellent tires, but expensive and hard to find at times. I'd think about a better rolling, less blocky tire for the front rather than a HR's. A Minion would be much better if you stick with Maxxis. Keep the blocky stuff for the rear.

Pivoteer
    Try the Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 EXO. I have been running DHFs front and rear on my AM and DH bike for years. The new 2.5s are about 870grams, and the EXO is the real deal from what I have read so far.

I
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    how is the sidewall and such of the maxxis. I checked out the cont. diesel and it was a stiffer sidewall than the tubless ones and it supposably has better rolling characteristics than a highroller or navegeal. so should I do the maxxis or the cont? I have had zero issues with my ghetto tubless setup with the maxxis so I'm not sure I want to deviate from them. Maxxis states their sidewall on the minion DHF is a single ply. I am worried its real flimsy like my rear high roller was...
    Last edited by EPDP99; 06-09-2010 at 11:12 PM.

EDR
    I'd say the HR single ply (I have the 2.5 wire bead d/h version not readily available in the US...is it really the d/h version if it's single ply??? IDK) is "sufficient". It's far better than the Speshy Chunder Control series tires and seems on par with the Armadillo sidewalls on the Eskar 2Bliss. I also have a 2.35 regular Nevegal hanging up I never used, seems thicker than that but I haven't touched it in a while to really compare.

Over-all I'm pleased to see the HR isn't a paper thin sidewall. Dual ply is the way to go for absolute strenght of course but I'm pretty sure the DP HR/Minion weighs two or three hundred grams more than the single ply.

Snakeskin Schwalbes are the bomb for lightweight durability for sure, but I'm not fretting the sidewalls on these new HR's like I did with some other tires.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    my high roller 2.1 was paper thin. It had cords showing and practically wrinkles up in a ball. has no support what so ever. I'm actually it lasted that long. The 2.35 I have is much stiffer than that so maybe Ill throw a high roller back on. I just really didnt think the high roller was as agressive as people are saying. But what do I know. They came on the bike and I wanted to run them dead. I believe I have for the rear atleast...

EDR
    Just checked out my old Armadillo Eskar. Those sidewalls are heavier than my HR. Armadillo might be a good option, they even have them in 2Bliss or UST now. The Speshy SX casings are stiff, not sure about tubeless compatibility on those though. The problem with Speshy and Maxxis is they have so many choices in the same tire it's hard to figure out what's what.

Members who have read this thread: 0