Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tire choices -- Rainbow Rim and AT trail (Jacob Lake to North rim)?

819 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  abc 
#1 · (Edited)
I guess the title said it all, what kind of tire would you recommend for riding the Kaibab plateau trails: Rainbow Rim and the Arizona Trail?

I got all sort of tires sitting around the garage, from 1"1/4 to 2"1/2! Regular knobs, semi-slick, and everything in between.

I'm from the east coast so have no clue whatsoever what the trail surface is like. So need to decide whether I just bring my regular day-to-day tires (2", regular knob) or switch to something more suitable for the local condition.

Planning a trip in early September. What's the weather like that time of year? Hopefully not too much potential for rain? So no worry about muddy condition, I hope?

Thanks in advance. :D

#2 ·
I guess the title said it all, what kind of tire would you recommend for riding the Kaibab plateau trails: Rainbow Rim and the Arizona Trail?

I got all sort of tires sitting around the garage, from 1"1/4 to 2"1/2! Regular knobs, semi-slick, and everything in between.

I'm from the east coast so have no clue whatsoever what the trail surface is like. So need to decide whether I just bring my regular day-to-day tires (2", regular knob) or switch to something more suitable for the local condition.

Planning a trip in early September. What's the weather like that time of year? Hopefully not too much potential for rain? So no worry about muddy condition, I hope?

Thanks in advance. :D
Some pics from my recent trip up to Kaibab are here: http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/summer-riding-stoke-1-a-801410.html
That should give you an idea of what the trails are like.

Can't speak to weather since I haven't been up there then.

BTW, if you plan on camping. Make your reservations for the North Rim campground ASAP. They fill up fast. If possible, get tent site #4 - it is spitting distance from the rim.

Have fun and be prepared for a whole lot of awesome.

#6 ·
BTW, if you plan on camping. Make your reservations for the North Rim campground ASAP. They fill up fast. If possible, get tent site #4 - it is spitting distance from the rim.

Have fun and be prepared for a whole lot of awesome.
It's organized by others. So I'm guessing camping arrangement was already made.

In browsing through here for some impression of the riding, it seems the trail can get really muddy if there's a lot of rain. Hence the question on the weather.

But maybe it's just in spring only? Much of the mud reference was for May/June. Perhaps heavy rain and mud isn't really a problem in mid September?

#4 ·
Much better to camp out at one of the points than at the campground IMO.

You can also find some sweet campsites out by the East Rim Viewpoint for the AZT too - just have to be a mile from that trailhead.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.