Eleven - it's one louder

tire choices for Phx area trails

Looking for some tire suggestions. Won't be able to afford a new bike for a while so am going to try to keep my vintage rig rolling for at least a few more months. While we plan to check out some cooler spots this summer, the wife & I will be riding mostly at McDowell Mountain Park (all trails), Desert Classic, etc. Rocky, but nothing super-chunky. My rims are old Mavic Oxygens, and not tubeless-ready. Bike is a hardtail, 26" wheels. I won't be racing, so don't need super light, but I do want a good performing tire that's not too bulky. My frame won't fit anything wider than 2.1" (2.0" if low pressure). If I can't get my hubs serviced (bearings are shot), I MAY get a new wheelset, but for now just focused on some good options for rubber for these wheels. Thanks!
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

any tire will work

Just make sure you get one with a strong sidewall. I would use liners or slime. People say good things about most tires.

mtbr member
    mtboz is right on. Having a strong sidewall is definitely important and everyone will tell you different tires and they all work.

My 2 cents- so far what I've had the best luck for rear is WTB MotoRaptor, which coincidentally is also the cheapest tire I've tried. On the front anything has been fine except Kenda Nevegal which the rocks like to eat the knobs off.

mtbr member
    I ride MM a lot and for several years I ran Maxxis Larsen TTs. I ran UST Lust - very strong sidewalls and never had a tear. I would check out the standard versions. I know they have 2.0s. IMO it is a very good fast rolling tread for MM. Currently I am running standard Kenda small block 8s tubeless on a Stan's rim. The SB8s are similar to the TTs but the standard version I am running definitely has a thinner sidewall and I will probably get a tear/flat one of these days - trade off is that they are much lighter.

mtbr member
    I'm riding a Larsen TT 2.0 standard on my rear wheel and love it, having moved from an Ignitor 2.35.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I use a Nevagal up front and SB8 in the rear. I like this setup but for National and rocky areas a Mutanoraptor (not sure if they make this anymore) will work great. I am not a fan of Larsons on the front because of a lack of grip when railing corners but it's a great rear tire. I would stick with things 2.2 or close to it.

If you are going Maxxis stick to the regular version since the lighter versions have thinner sidewalls.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    For Mcdowell mountain. Slicks! I really like the feel of the geax neuron up front and the high roller in the back. Aggressive but still roll fast. Both can be purchased in the 2.1 I believe.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    For Mcdowell mountain. Slicks! I really like the feel of the geax neuron up front and the high roller in the back. Aggressive but still roll fast. Both can be purchased in the 2.1 I believe.
    It looks like the neuron comes in 2.3 and 2.5 but they're HEAVY! I was looking into the neuron myself but didn't realize the 2.3 is 1350 grams.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    It looks like the neuron comes in 2.3 and 2.5 but they're HEAVY! I was looking into the neuron myself but didn't realize the 2.3 is 1350 grams.
    Yep, should have done my homework. They are heavier than my 2.5 minion dhf single ply but offer better sidewall protection and roll faster. Can't wait til the exo-gride is tested out here!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

CAB
    mtbr member
    I rock whatevers on sale. . last month I bought 6 Maxxis Ardent 2.4 for 20.00 ea. I think they may still have the 2.2s at jensonusa.com they seem to do fine.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

WTB Velociraptor is a great choice....

WTB Velociraptor has been around for years, and for good reason, they just flat out work.
    They have a front and back specific tread design and both work well on the trails you mentioned. The square block rear is great for climbing and the angled front trends hook up well in all conditions. They make the narrow width you are looking for.

I've been running the tires for ~11 years on my Titus Racer-X and have never cut the a sidewall or had any quality issues. Also, since they've been around for so long, you can get them on sale quite often (I think wheelworld.com has them on sale right now as a buy one get one free deal). $20.00 per tire seems to be the norm, but if you look, you can get them for $15.00 per tire (wire bead is ~$5.00 cheaper then the kevlar bead, so $5.00 gets you a slightly lighter tire).

I've also mounted these tires ghetto tubless without any issues...

Another good front tire choice that matches well to the velocirator rear is a Specialized "The Captain". It corners well and has low rolling resistence. I really like it, but cringe everytime I have to fork out $45.00 to buy a new one.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    In general, when you make a tire recommendation for a 26 inch tire, does it also translate to a 29 inch tire?

Members who have read this thread: 0