Tifosi Fototec or other Variable Tint Glasses for Night and Day Riding?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764

    Tifosi Fototec or other Variable Tint Glasses for Night and Day Riding?

    I am looking for a pair of all purpose riding glasses for both day and night riding. Saw that Tifosi has a Light Night Fototec lens that allegedly goes from 85% to 19.5% light transmission. Has anyone used these for both day and night riding. Will they be clear enough at night? Do these typs of lenses that change to the light conditions really work? Should I just get the damn interchanging lenses?
    I AM JUST A JERK

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,784

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    I tried the Wiley X brand but thought there was too little change between the day and night tint. Night was fine but would have liked a darker day tint.

    https://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pr...SeriesCode=372
    Mayo Clinic Phx. Kidney TX 06-20-2019

  3. #3
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,392
    I have the specialized singletrack with the adaptalite lenses. Too much money.... But I like them. Last weekends Hawes ride was the first time I used them. They seem to adjust quickly but they could stand to get a hair darker IMO. They are only good for bright and low light conditions but not for night. As for night, I still switch to a clear lens pair I have.

    I would probably go with a pair with interchangable lenses next time. Optic Nerve has some for a decent price I think ($54 or so). They come with three lenses: Smoke, Copper and Clear. Some models like the Synergy come with 4 lenses - Smoke, Copper, Yellow, Clear ($59). I love Rudy's too but pricey.

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=15471

    http://www.nerveusa.com
    ~~~

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Doode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    I would probably go with a pair with interchangable lenses next time. Optic Nerve has some for a decent price I think ($54 or so). They come with three lenses: Smoke, Copper and Clear. Some models like the Synergy come with 4 lenses - Smoke, Copper, Yellow, Clear ($59). I love Rudy's too but pricey.

    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=15471

    http://www.nerveusa.com
    If you like the Optic Nerve shades for $54 you'll love them at $34.98
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/144..._-3-lenses.htm

    You can also use safety glasses found in hardware stores in a pinch. Your shop teacher woulda been proud.

  5. #5
    MTB'er
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    547

    Good job! Tifosi Fototec

    I bought the Envy model and I have used the lenses on day and night rides. They are clear enough for the night. On sunny days they don't get as dark as I would like to, but still are useful. I would definitely recommend this lenses as the "set it and forget it" ones. And for $60 bucks they're definitely a bargain. Go get 'em!
    "I will not relent"

  6. #6
    Large wheels & one gear
    Reputation: Konapdlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    720
    I use Smith Toasters. Three lenses, smoke, copper, clear. About a $100.00 I actually always use the copper lenses for day riding. Makes things crisp. That is one reason why I have never tried the Fototech glasses. I kinda like having the control of what shade to use. My opinion.....get the interchangables.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 'size's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,103
    ditto on the smith's. i use the toasters as well but the whole slider series is great. easy lense changes and the optics are top notch.

  8. #8
    Meatpuppet
    Reputation: dirtrodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Doode
    If you like the Optic Nerve shades for $54 you'll love them at $34.98
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/144..._-3-lenses.htm

    You can also use safety glasses found in hardware stores in a pinch. Your shop teacher woulda been proud.
    We are in complete agreeance.....................

    I just bought the Optic Nerve Scorchs' from Nashbar for $29 and use clear shop
    glasses for night (free from work)
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

  9. #9

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    546
    Smith's are very nice, easy to change the lenses.

    Smith Axis, 4 lenese, including a polarized set, 49.97:

    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

    The aforementioned Smith Toasters, also 49.97:

    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

  10. #10
    my knees hurt
    Reputation: singlespeedsycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    462
    Smith Sliders 01 (I dont think they make this exact style anymore)....have had them for 7+ years, four sets of lenses. They have worked great for me.
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

  11. #11
    I lean like a cholo!
    Reputation: Evil Con-fecal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    452

    I have a Huge head! semi OT

    Semi OT, but I have been looking for years for a good set of glasses for those of us with clydesdale sized heads. I not only have a large head, but also a wide one, so every pair of shades I have tried ends up pinching the sides of my head and giving me an instant headache. Even the legendary Oakly MonsterDogs cannot contain my head-girth.

    Anyone have a suggestion? Riding without eye protection has yielded more than one close calls over the years. Either that or I could roll my DH goggles all the time.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

  12. #12
    Meatpuppet
    Reputation: dirtrodr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Con-fecal
    Semi OT, but I have been looking for years for a good set of glasses for those of us with clydesdale sized heads. I not only have a large head, but also a wide one, so every pair of shades I have tried ends up pinching the sides of my head and giving me an instant headache. Even the legendary Oakly MonsterDogs cannot contain my head-girth.

    Anyone have a suggestion? Riding without eye protection has yielded more than one close calls over the years. Either that or I could roll my DH goggles all the time.
    Having a decently sized cranial region myself, I find I usually have to do some modification to the glasses I get. Let me start off by saying that I am semi-cheap and that I wouldn't buy a $100 pair of glasses and do this, but.............I usually buy the cheapo glasses on the spinning racks in, say Target You can take a file or jewelers file, sandpaper or exacto for that matter and make a wedge type gap where the hinge is. The ear pieces will open up more, easing up on the brain squeeze, allowing blood to actually flow through my/your noggin'. Ghetto yes, but work it does..............
    My Third Eye Has A Cataract

  13. #13
    I lean like a cholo!
    Reputation: Evil Con-fecal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrodr
    Having a decently sized cranial region myself, I find I usually have to do some modification to the glasses I get. Let me start off by saying that I am semi-cheap and that I wouldn't buy a $100 pair of glasses and do this, but.............I usually buy the cheapo glasses on the spinning racks in, say Target You can take a file or jewelers file, sandpaper or exacto for that matter and make a wedge type gap where the hinge is. The ear pieces will open up more, easing up on the brain squeeze, allowing blood to actually flow through my/your noggin'. Ghetto yes, but work it does..............
    Cool, I'll try it! Thanks.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...

  14. #14
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,206
    I'm now looking for new glasses now that the tab on one of my Smith lenses (dark) has busted off. I've had two pairs of Smiths and am somewhat so-so on their durability and longevity.

    I'll look at some of the ones mentioned in this thread. Any other ideas?
    Ride more; post less...

  15. #15
    my knees hurt
    Reputation: singlespeedsycip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    462
    I've got a pair of smith sliders 01 with a bunch of lenses (1 clear, 2 amber, 1 blue and 1dark) you can have....I just recently bought a pair of Oakley Halfjackets and have been real happy with them....let me know if you want the smiths and I'll bring them to work so you can grab them.....
    BELIEVE
    Imagine what you could achieve if you knew you would not fail.

  16. #16
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Walt, I got a pair of the Serfas Mirador and love them. I use them for night riding only because I have another pair for daytime riding and because they were incorrectly sold to me with just the clear lenses. For $50, you get four lenses.

    I love them so much because I really like bigger glasses for more coverage. These have that. The Sefas Dezmo also looks interesting.

    http://www.serfasoptics.com/2006/int...es/index.shtml
    I AM JUST A JERK

  17. #17
    I am Walt
    Reputation: waltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Walt, I got a pair of the Serfas Mirador and love them. I use them for night riding only because I have another pair for daytime riding and because they were incorrectly sold to me with just the clear lenses. For $50, you get four lenses.

    I love them so much because I really like bigger glasses for more coverage. These have that. The Sefas Dezmo also looks interesting.

    http://www.serfasoptics.com/2006/int...es/index.shtml
    Dood...I'm liking the Serfas...

    I think I like that Arena and the Aileron the most...very cool...and the price is right!
    Ride more; post less...

  18. #18
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Dood...I'm liking the Serfas...

    I think I like that Arena and the Aileron the most...very cool...and the price is right!
    They may be hard to find locally to try on. Just speculation. I have relied on internet photos to buy glasses and have been disappointed more often than not. It is hard to really know just from pictures on the computer. However, with that, I dig my Matadors.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  19. #19
    wrecking crew
    Reputation: su.ling~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Walt, I got a pair of the Serfas Mirador and love them. I use them for night riding only because I have another pair for daytime riding and because they were incorrectly sold to me with just the clear lenses. For $50, you get four lenses.

    I love them so much because I really like bigger glasses for more coverage. These have that. The Sefas Dezmo also looks interesting.

    http://www.serfasoptics.com/2006/int...es/index.shtml
    I noticed those! And I liked how those looked on you Geoff. I bought Jeff a pair of Seraf AILERON about a month or so ago. They are really nice.

    http://www.serfasoptics.com/2006/int.../aileron.shtml

    Nathan at Exhale is carrying alot of Serafs so you can try them on there.
    ~~~

  20. #20
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Dood...I'm liking the Serfas...

    I think I like that Arena and the Aileron the most...very cool...and the price is right!
    The obvious choice is the Niners.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I am looking for a pair of all purpose riding glasses for both day and night riding. Saw that Tifosi has a Light Night Fototec lens that allegedly goes from 85% to 19.5% light transmission. Has anyone used these for both day and night riding. Will they be clear enough at night? Do these typs of lenses that change to the light conditions really work? Should I just get the damn interchanging lenses?
    This is the reason why Oakley partnered with Transition. Here is a quote from Oakley's Website.

    "Oakley has partnered with Transitions Optical to create lenses that darken and lighten automatically. The patented innovations of Oakley optics are blended with photochromic technology which actively tunes the amount of light that reaches your eyes. Even better, the lenses include base colors that precisely balance light transmission and boost visual contrast to improve depth perception. This unique blend of innovations gives you the ultimate in performance and comfort while improving safety in environments ranging from overcast to bright sun."

    These glasses are pricy but you do get what you pay for. I would highly recommend these. They also come in different shapes and models.

    http://oakley.com/o/c983t

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.