Thunderbird Conservation Park - Survey- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Click Click Click
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,586

    Thunderbird Conservation Park - Survey

    I just noticed that the City of Glendale recently put up a survey asking for feedback about Thunderbird Conservation Park. If you have been out there recently, you know the trails are in rough shape and could use some work. Additionally, the hours are sunrise to sunset, and the park ranger makes it his mission to chase people out of the park after dark. I have not seen this kind of enforcement at ANY of the other trail systems in the valley. I took the survey and let them know how I felt (basically to change hours to be similar to other parks in the area, and to do a little trail maintenance).

    I also offered to volunteer (I have done this in the past also, but never heard back from them).

    Survey: https://form.jotform.com/61676287215967
    "You either want to or you don't."

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    390
    Thanks D. I noted basically the same things you did (i.e. hours and some maintenance items and noted the areas that I thought were the worst). I also put my info in for volunteer information. Also regarding the park ranger, I find it kind of funny that he chases people out of the section of the park between 59th and 67th... while the section of the park on the south side of pinnacle peak has users on it well after dark and I never see the ranger over there. My only guess is that this is due to the proximity of houses on the part of the park that is heavily enforced??? Maybe those people with their back yards that are against the park might have something to do with it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,374
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Thanks D. I noted basically the same things you did (i.e. hours and some maintenance items and noted the areas that I thought were the worst). I also put my info in for volunteer information. Also regarding the park ranger, I find it kind of funny that he chases people out of the section of the park between 59th and 67th... while the section of the park on the south side of pinnacle peak has users on it well after dark and I never see the ranger over there. My only guess is that this is due to the proximity of houses on the part of the park that is heavily enforced??? Maybe those people with their back yards that are against the park might have something to do with it.
    Well, the southeast part of the park does have residences abutting the park. Never seen anyone patrolling way over there. Plus, there are three trails entrances from that neighborhood into the park.

    I've only seen the security guy chase others away from the main parking areas near the Pinnacle Peak/59th ave curve. I don't think that guy is going to hike up Cholla Loop or anything else to get people off the trails. Also, most of the park isn't fenced in....I don't see them patrolling those far-flung trail entrances...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Well, the southeast part of the park does have residences abutting the park. Never seen anyone patrolling way over there. Plus, there are three trails entrances from that neighborhood into the park.

    I've only seen the security guy chase others away from the main parking areas near the Pinnacle Peak/59th ave curve. I don't think that guy is going to hike up Cholla Loop or anything else to get people off the trails. Also, most of the park isn't fenced in....I don't see them patrolling those far-flung trail entrances...
    True that. I guess he gets the most bang for his buck at that entrance.

  5. #5
    Click Click Click
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Well, the southeast part of the park does have residences abutting the park. Never seen anyone patrolling way over there. Plus, there are three trails entrances from that neighborhood into the park.

    I've only seen the security guy chase others away from the main parking areas near the Pinnacle Peak/59th ave curve. I don't think that guy is going to hike up Cholla Loop or anything else to get people off the trails. Also, most of the park isn't fenced in....I don't see them patrolling those far-flung trail entrances...
    Yeah, it is more of an annoyance than anything. I think his main objective is to clear the parking lot before he locks the gate, but since I ride in, I am not worried about that. Just seems like his resources could be better allocated. The other parks just have a gate that they close and lock and have the one way spike strips to let those get out, but no new cars come in. Seems like a simple solution. Then his time would be freed up for more productive activities. It really was not that big of an issue, but I saw they put up the survey to see what I thought, so...
    "You either want to or you don't."

  6. #6
    Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Reputation: TacoBeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    866
    I have never seen any security or rangers while out night riding there, then again I'm not up there till about midnight so chances are they are sleeping.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

    E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

  7. #7
    Click Click Click
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    I have never seen any security or rangers while out night riding there, then again I'm not up there till about midnight so chances are they are sleeping.
    Yeah, once he clears the lot and locks the gate, he is gone.
    "You either want to or you don't."

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    390
    Yeah Taco he is normally there around sunset-ish.

  9. #9
    Always in the wrong gear
    Reputation: Impetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,319
    I'd love to see some trail work done to the Cholla loop. Coachwhip isn't terrible, but damn that west side Cholla climb is awful, especially that middle switchback section. The first northbound section, and the ridgeline on top are 'less atrocious'. I could be talked into lending a hand to fix that up. Would be nice to have some rideable stuff 10 mins from the house.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mbodde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    11
    Totally agree with what has been said about the ranger who drives around the lot with his lights flashing. Seems like such a waste of time, just shut the gate and let people leave when they are done with their hike or ride like they do in the PMP.
    He has stopped me a few times and does not say 100 percent I cannot be riding at night but also does't say I can.
    I filled out the survey and made some of the same suggestions. Thanks for posting.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AZ_AlanS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    556
    Thank you for sharing the survey. I filled it out and added my name to the volunteer list. dirtbyte, have you attempted to contact Glendale Parks and Rec directly? If they are truly looking for volunteers to help maintain/improve the trails I am willing provide all of the necessary tools courtesy of MBAA for a Saturday or Sunday trail maintenance session. If you start creating a relationship with them now perhaps something could be scheduled for early fall.

  12. #12
    Click Click Click
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,586
    Thanks Alan! I contacted them a year or so ago when the trails were badly damaged due to the rain (2-3 ft ruts down many of the trails). The web form they had for volunteering was broken, so I emailed them directly. They responded a few MONTHS later, and I gave them my home address and they said they would send me some forms to fill out. The forms never arrived. I will contact them again to see if we can get the ball rolling. The trails really do need some maintenance.

    Thanks again Alan!
    "You either want to or you don't."

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    995
    Thunderbird is a lost cause. To many hikers. Deems and Pyramid Peak are close enough or connect over to Sonoran. I live right by Areowhead hospital and ride past Thunderbird to get to better trails. I do ride Coachwhip though early on my way to Deems to add some more dirt miles and there are very few if any hikers.

  14. #14
    Click Click Click
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Thunderbird is a lost cause. To many hikers. Deems and Pyramid Peak are close enough or connect over to Sonoran. I live right by Areowhead hospital and ride past Thunderbird to get to better trails. I do ride Coachwhip though early on my way to Deems to add some more dirt miles and there are very few if any hikers.
    Yes and no... At night after dark I rarely come across anyone out there The amphitheater mountain is actually quite fun. I also often ride it on the way over to Deem, Pyramid, Sonoran... The problem is many of the trails out there have so much potential, and they could add more. I only have run into high hiker volume during the cooler months, and even then, with a little courtesy, they really do not get in the way.
    "You either want to or you don't."

  15. #15
    Click Click Click
    Reputation: dirtbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,586
    Looks like the survey is now closed. I wonder if it will result in any changes. Probably not.
    "You either want to or you don't."

Similar Threads

  1. Thunderbird Conservation Park - Trails closed
    By dirtbyte in forum Arizona
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 09:48 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2014, 01:50 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM
  4. Thunderbird Regional Park
    By BCTJ in forum Arizona
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 11:43 AM
  5. Thunderbird Conservation Park
    By 918biker in forum Arizona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.