Thumb Butte to Granite Basin- Mtbr.com
    Dooosh!

Thumb Butte to Granite Basin

Prescott locals..... how is the ride from TB to GB and whats the mileage? Route Ideas also helpful!
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are a few ways to do this.

You can ride from TB to GB by taking 316 to 318 to 332 and then take the railroad grade (also called 332) to Iron Springs Road. Right across from the railroad grade is trail 332 (singletrack) that goes into Granite Basin. This is the easiest way in terms of route and effort.

Another way to do it is to start out any combination trails to get to 332 before the railroad grade, and then take the "emanual pines/highland pines" singletrack and doubletrack routes to get to the same place on Iron Springs Road. This can be confusing and all of the singletracks are short, but there are a lot of trails/roads back there. A few of these are on the map, most are not. The point is that you can bypass the railroad grade by riding these. There's not really any point to describing the routes, there are too many and it's easy to mistake a turn. It's hard to get too lost, but you can end up spending more time than you'd like. You can come out either on the railroad grade or down further towards Emanual Pines if you head that direction. At that point it's easy to "get out", but the best way may be to look at the map and expirment yourself.

The last major way to do it is part of my "monster" ride that I start in Thumb Butte. I usually climb up 367, 392, 326, 373A, 51 and end up on Thumb Butte Road. I continue climbing to trail 264-West Spruce Mountain trail. I take that trail (quite a few steep climbs) to West Spruce Mountain Road, then go down the road (some nasty rocky parts on the road) to the continuation of West Spruce Mountain trail (which is tons of fun, not too crazy but lots of fast descending) to Dosie Pitts Road. Take Dosie Pitts almost to Iron Springs, but right before on the right take trail 620, which is part of a new OHV system that connects to Granite Basin. Take 619 at the next intersection, climb up to trail 37, take 37 to 40 (now in Granite Basin), take 40 to 351, take that to 346, take that one to 332 (aka the prescott "circle trail"), take 332 across Granite Basin Road and back to Granite Basin, take the railroad bed back to the cutoff 332 (same name, but now not on the railroad bed) and take that back to 318, and now you are back with many many thousands of vertical feet and many tens of miles. I've done this big ride a few times.

http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps...ott/tn1w2.html
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by BRA DOG
    Prescott locals..... how is the ride from TB to GB and whats the mileage? Route Ideas also helpful!
    Not a Preskitt local, but been up there a bunch this year riding, and TB to GB is one of the main areas I've been exploring. Today, CoyoteKis and I did the best ride we've stitched together yet:
    - Park at the TB TH (pay $5), and start with this from Jayem above: 316 to 318 to 332 and then take the railroad grade (also called 332) to Iron Springs Road
    - Continue on 332 (singletrack) across Iron Springs Rd. into GB; you'll cross Granite Basin Rd after a bit
    - After a rocky downhill near some power lines, you'll run into a dirt road near a gate. Go left on that (346), and go down about .4 mi.
    - There will be a trail on your left - that is 349...AWESOME LOOP here...
    - Follow 349 for a few miles...fast, smooth, fun, flowy (after an initial moderate climb). Cross a couple roads, then look for 351
    - Right on 351, nice riding back to a parking area...go towards the right of the parking area, and you'll be back at the entrance to 349...go left and back up 346
    - 346 up to 332, go right and reverse the whole route

This was a great ride, and my GPS had it at about 21 miles, with 2700 feet of elevation gain. Both CK and I pushed 32 x 18 on 29'er SS's. I feel it's a GREAT SS route, though a bit of a grunt at times...but all rideable, and fun. So much of it flows superbly. And I don't mind the railroad grade connector for simplicity's sake.

And that 349/351 loop is about 4 miles, and easy, FUN riding...well worth the ride to and from...huge grins...
    Ride more; post less...

Dooosh!
    You both said "railroad grade" on 332, does this mean its flat and boring? 332 is also part of the Prescott Circle trail if Im not mistaken right? Im really not the flat, boring type, so I might need to find another route.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by BRA DOG
    You both said "railroad grade" on 332, does this mean its flat and boring? 332 is also part of the Prescott Circle trail if Im not mistaken right? Im really not the flat, boring type, so I might need to find another route.
    Yes, but it's just a connector, and parts of it are OK. Plus, as Jayem said, there are options...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Not a Preskitt local, but been up there a bunch this year riding, and TB to GB is one of the main areas I've been exploring. Today, CoyoteKis and I did the best ride we've stitched together yet:

And that 349/351 loop is about 4 miles, and easy, FUN riding...well worth the ride to and from...huge grins...
    That really was my favorite ride we've done up there, of all the rides this year! It was the perfect combination of work, and fun. That 349/351 was uber rewarding. I can't wait to do it again.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    That really was my favorite ride we've done up there, of all the rides this year! It was the perfect combination of work, and fun. That 349/351 was uber rewarding. I can't wait to do it again.
    Didn't you guys almost get killed by that thunderstorm?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Are all those numbered trails marked? I think I have seen pictures from Jayem with the wooden signs with trail numbers on them. I am going to be up there in October for a week staying near Thumb Butte and this ride looks like fun. Need to do 305 and the Dells too...

Bobo

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    That first day we saw you, we had RACE back to the TB parking lot from where 332 breaks off from the railroad grade section by those boulders. There was epic thunder and lightning cracking all around us. Scary, but exhilarating, as hell. On a subsequent trip, we also got caught out at the Iron Springs Rd. parking area as a HUGE storm moved in, and were thankfully able to catch a ride back to the parking lot from Chris (I think), who does alot of trail building and maintenance in Preskitt (I think he works for the city).

Quote Originally Posted by bobo_krkk_NIN
    Are all those numbered trails marked? I think I have seen pictures from Jayem with the wooden signs with trail numbers on them. I am going to be up there in October for a week staying near Thumb Butte and this ride looks like fun. Need to do 305 and the Dells too...

Bobo
    Yes, well marked and numbered, but you do have to pay attention. Make sure to print off those Sharlot maps that have been linked a number of times. They are super-helpful.
    Ride more; post less...

Dooosh!
    "Yes, well marked and numbered, but you do have to pay attention. Make sure to print off those Sharlot maps that have been linked a number of times. They are super-helpful."

That web-site has the best maps available for the Prescott area. These are the maps I will be using for this weekends ride. Your guys' recomendation sounds good! Cant wait for saturday.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Totally! That was my SECOND favorite ride. As Walt mentioned, it got the adrenaline pumping, which was just a bonus to the whole experience. On another rained-drenched ride up there, I can remember standing on a ridge/overlook, the rain coming down sideways, just getting soaked to the bone. Had to stop, put my face up to the sky, eyes closed, arms out, and just give in to it! It was BEAUTIFUL. I'm jealous of the weather in Prescott. I feel sad every time we leave it and head back to the valley. Ya'll are so lucky.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Members who have read this thread: 0