mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thule vs Saris Bike Carrier

Considering Thule 916 T2 2 Bike 2 or Saris Cycle On Pro bike carriers. Both mount on reciever hitch, Saris is like 40 bucks more but locks on and lifetime warranty. Anyone own these? Any opinions would be appreciated. I have heard of Thule's breaking and issues with fork clearance - both of my bikes are FR. Thanks

wretch
    My bud's got the Saris. I've got the Thule. I've had mine for 3 or so years. It's been awesome. The brackets holding the cross bars need to be replaced, other than that it seems fine. The Saris looks very well built and much stronger.

I think I need to Upgrade
    I think that I would go with the Thule T2. The Saris looks good but the bar that goes over the tire looks like it is bare metal that will scratch the crap out of your fork. Both rack carry a Lifetime Warrnanty. Also I don't know where the Saris is made, but the Thule is made here in the US.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the Thule can be locked on to the reciever?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Thanks guys. Does anyone know if the Thule can be locked on to the reciever?
    Yep, they'll gladly sell you a locking pin that has a cable. Just don't leave the lock on the bumper like I did... twice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have had no problems with my thule rack. Cheaper and made in the USA?
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

caninus xerophilous
    I've had both, the Saris is not really made for heavy bikes, where the Thule is. My biggest complaint about the Saris is that the plastic bits sun rotted rather quickly, which led to me loosing one of my bikes. So it sounds like your making the right choice: THULE!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the Thule. It uses a bolt that goes in through the receiver into a nut welded on the inside ot the carrier tube-which means you need a wrench to tighten it on ond take it out. A thief would need only a wrench to take it off.

I drilled out the tube and nut so as to use a standard locking pin (that was a chore-the nut and tube are quite hard!). I also drilled a second hole through the Thule tube so as to allow the carrier to mount a couple of inches closer to the receiver.

The one thing I don't like is that since the thule tube (probably the same for all receiver mounted carriers) doesn't fit perfectly snug into the receiver, there is about a three quarter inch play where the bikes mount. I'll experiment with using a strap to thighten it to one side.

I think I need to Upgrade
    KeithS, did you know that Thule makes a locking hitch pin that replaces that stock pin so you can lock the pin and still tighten down the rack so it doesn't rock back and forth?

My other ride is your mom
    I've had the T2 for a year now....no problems with it...but recent posts regarding failures on the T2 has me inspecting for any stress cracks before each use. Since I take it off after I use it, I don't have any issues with sun-weathering of the plastic wheel-wells...FWIW....this also prevents me from receiving a ridiculous moving violation.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 08-01-2009 at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    KeithS, did you know that Thule makes a locking hitch pin that replaces that stock pin so you can lock the pin and still tighten down the rack so it doesn't rock back and forth?
    Didn't know.........probably would have saved me some time and expense.

mtbr member
    Saw this in BC; my next rack;
    http://www.northshoreracks.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto
    Saw this in BC; my next rack;
    http://www.northshoreracks.com/
    Hey Tom, are local AZrider44 has one of the 4 bike racks shown above. They are nice .
    SHITBIRD

Shred...it's the new drug
    +1 on those northshore racks. +1 on the thule t2. it's killer and solid. I plan on upgrading it with some u-bolts to strengthen it up before the brackets snap from the 80 plus pounds of bike I put on her on a weekly basis.

Members who have read this thread: 0