For those who have camped in Sedona area...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

For those who have camped in Sedona area...

heading up tomorrow, and going to car camp. Considering either Wet Beaver Creek or Dead Horse State Park. I'm leaning towards Wet Beaver Creek, but hoping to get some input from those who have been to both or either.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My first choice is Wet Beaver Creek but good luck finding a spot. Dead Horse has big sites, good running water but little shade. I suspect availability would be good at Dead Horse.

banned
    Jun 2011
    Lots of pull out spots on Schnebly Hill road. That's were I like to camp...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D in AZ View Post
    My first choice is Wet Beaver Creek but good luck finding a spot. Dead Horse has big sites, good running water but little shade. I suspect availability would be good at Dead Horse.
    Oh, does it fill up? Another park we were considering is Manzanita.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I like to camp up Oak Creek Canyon in one of the Forest Service campgrounds. I think the last time I stayed at Pine Flat. I liked it and it's cooler than Deadhorse or Wet Beaver...

No mames guey
    Wet Beaver campground is the land of many skunks. The damn things just hover around your camp the entire time. Damn annoying.

Huffy Rider
    Dead Horse is very hot this time of the year, not much shade to speak of. Very muggy right now.

Shovel Ready
    You have got to be kidding me. As tight as you are with TD. You should have the secret locations spots all dialed in.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. As tight as you are with TD. You should have the secret locations spots all dialed in.
    64:

If I was friend's with st I would let him camp at my place or my buddy cakewalk would have let him stay at his place on Dry Creek Rd., BUT as you are aware there is little I would be inclined to do to help him since he has given me little if any support in my efforts to make Sedona a great mountain biking experience.

I do think Beaver Creek would be an excellent place for him. Sounds like the wildlife out there is friendly. Hopefully he will share his experience with others to give future tourists some good suggestions. Good camping opportunities close to the best trailheads are non-existent.

I use to boondock full time in my motor casa for eight years, so I became an expert at finding free overnight parking. Camping would be more difficult.

Hopefully he will file a flight plan before each ride in case he comes up missing. We have an IMBA Bike Patrol presence in Sedona, so if he gets lost at least they would know where to look for him.

TD

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    64:

If I was friend's with st I would let him camp at my place or my buddy cakewalk would have let him stay at his place on Dry Creek Rd., BUT as you are aware there is little I would be inclined to do to help him since he has given me little if any support in my efforts to make Sedona a great mountain biking experience.

I do think Beaver Creek would be an excellent place for him. Sounds like the wildlife out there is friendly. Hopefully he will share his experience with others to give future tourists some good suggestions. Good camping opportunities close to the best trailheads are non-existent.

I use to boondock full time in my motor casa for eight years, so I became an expert at finding free overnight parking. Camping would be more difficult.

Hopefully he will file a flight plan before each ride in case he comes up missing. We have an IMBA Bike Patrol presence in Sedona, so if he gets lost at least they would know where to look for him.

TD
    An ambassador should reach out for the masses not the other way around.

Bed time for me. Have fun in wonderland.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    An ambassador should reach out for the masses not the other way around.

Bed time for me. Have fun in wonderland.
    64:

Exactly, especially if you are a self-appointed ambassador.

Good Night,

TD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    64:

What are you talking about? I chime in to keep your posts up in the top of the posts and to get some people on MTBR to support your efforts. The Lord works in mysterious ways. You're welcome.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    What are you talking about? I chime in to keep your posts up in the top of the posts and to get some people on MTBR to support your efforts. The Lord works in mysterious ways. You're welcome.
    Another predictable sarcastic response. Please provide MTBR viewers a report of your camping experience, so other campers might benefit from your positive or negative experience.

If you come up with some new Sedona mountain bike loop (numerous different trails) scenario you might want to share it with the viewers. If it is Something Different than the current Everytrail loops I have posted, I will do a GPS track of it using Topo Fusion and will post it on Everytrail calling it the Special Sedona Skinny-Tire Loop to give you credit.

Maybe your valuable input will bring your rep power a couple more notches.

TD

Well Biked
    This thread has some useful info. What's the weather like in october? Would Dead Horse State park be a good place to camp then? Thanks!

banned
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    U 2 need a friggin room.

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    This thread has some useful info. What's the weather like in october? Would Dead Horse State park be a good place to camp then? Thanks!
    Depends... it could be perfect or way too hot. You never can tell about Oct. I have seen it way hot and nice and cool. It could be warm or hot in the afternoons but the mornings/evenings will be nice. DH is in Cottonwood at about 3200ft, 20 min from Sedona, which is at 4000 to 5000 ft. If you are tent camping, they have nice bathrooms/showers and they are right next to the trailhead. I saw you are coming out to ride Sedona, PM me, I am always looking for someone to ride with during the week, if it's not too hot!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    Depends... it could be perfect or way too hot. You never can tell about Oct. I have seen it way hot and nice and cool. It could be warm or hot in the afternoons but the mornings/evenings will be nice. DH is in Cottonwood at about 3200ft, 20 min from Sedona, which is at 4000 to 5000 ft. If you are tent camping, they have nice bathrooms/showers and they are right next to the trailhead. I saw you are coming out to ride Sedona, PM me, I am always looking for someone to ride with during the week, if it's not too hot!
    ss:

You should take mc up on her offer. She knows the trail system really well and is an enthusiastic rider. Maybe even heywoa will offer his help, he and mc are riding buddies.

For sure have them show you Highline, Last Frontier and Special Ed.

TD