Those dang thorns- Mtbr.com
    Fueled by meat n potatoes
    Mar 2008

Those dang thorns

Hey guys, I just moved down to Tempe from Iowa and am wondering what you guys use for tubes. I went a half mile to the library and got 4 of those goat head thorns in my back tire (none in the front oddly enough) and I want to hit South Mountain so I can't imagine how many I would pick up out there..
    I don't really want to go tubeless simply because I have street tires on it about as much as knobbies, and I would think that changing a tubeless that often would be a pain in the butt, unless somebody can tell me otherwise.
    Should I just throw some slime in the tube and call it a day? They are regular Specialized tubes so they are pretty thin. Any advice would be much appreciated and if you need any more information let me know.
    Moosen! I saw a flock of MOOSEN! There were many of ‘em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods…in the wood-es…in the woodsen.

just 1 more
    HA! #@$%*!?!! goatheads is more like it. I came from Pa and didn't believe I'd need Slime tubes. Wrong. You either need the tubes or liners or maybe Armadillo tires for the street. I change tubes and pull the ends of the thorns out of the inside of the tires when it won't hold air for the whole ride.

Goatheads....Arizona's dirty little secret

sixsixtysix
    I was the same way when i moved from the midwest. At one point I had 10 flats in 6 days. My advice, the best tubes out here are No Tubes Convert your wheels to tubeless if you can, they work much better out here.

just 1 more
    2 wheelsets then? 1 road, 1 dirt?

A serious man.
    Specialized Armadillo tires. They are pricey, but worth every penny. I was getting flats on every ride before I switched to these...afterwards never got a single flat. I was able to ditch the slime tubes with these too, saves some weight and $$

mtbr member
    I vote for getting two sets of wheels. I never get flats once I went tubless.

Pivotal figure
    Just get some Tuffy liners. They work fine, last for years and you can run whatever tires or tubes you want.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Goatheads! Welcome to the Sonoran Desert flora. South mtn really doesn't have them, at least on the trails, so no worries there. They like to grow in dirt lots, and in alleys. Eventually, through paine and suffering, you'll develope a natural aviodance to them.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I put Stan's Sealant in my tubes. For MTB tubes it works well. If you are using presta valves, it is tricky to put it in, but still not that hard.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    I put Stan's Sealant in my tubes. For MTB tubes it works well. If you are using presta valves, it is tricky to put it in, but still not that hard.
    Explain how please!

Mar 2008
    Ideally I would like to get a second wheel set and just go tubeless, but the funds are a little low after dropping all that dough moving (by the way, moving trucks don't like the mountains, haha). I am pretty darn close to needing new knobbies anyway, so those armadillos might be a relatively quick fix, as long as I can get them at a reasonable price, we'll see, tuffy liners and/or slime will probably come first. This Christmas could end up being a good one with all the stuff I need now, haha.
    Moosen! I saw a flock of MOOSEN! There were many of ‘em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods…in the wood-es…in the woodsen.

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006

are you rolling 26'ers?

if so i have a set of thorn proof tubes i used to run before i went tubeless. drop me your info and i'll give em too you

mike
    SKA Racing, beer and bikes. What more could you ask for?

Mar 2008
    You have a PM pool monkey

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Explain how please!
    I do the same, has worked great.

Just use some pliers to unscrew the "little round nut like thingy". Just a little extra pressure and it should come off.

Hold on to valve inside the tube and pour it in. I snipped the tip on the Stans bottle small enough the value barely fits...Could be a pain in the arse if your Stans bottle already has large hole.

I read that some people, instead of removing the valve, use a syringe and a needle full of stans then slap on patch over their "trackmark"...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

In the rear with the beer
    Since i moved here, i've just used slime tubes without much problem. Armadillos on the bikes i ride the streets with. I really don't get too many flats at all....works fine, until you are ready to make the leap to tubeless (which i still haven't done but have been thoroughly pondering).
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

What, who, me?
    Jul 2006
    word up! i'll be back in town on Monday and we can hook up! i'll PM you my cell.

mike
    SKA Racing, beer and bikes. What more could you ask for?

Mar 2008
    I think the next money I spend will probably be on a new wheel set just so I can go tubeless all around. But between rims, spokes, cassette, hubs, and brake rotors, we are talking more mulah than I have right now, and like I said before, Christmas cannot come fast enough.

livin' the dream......
    You guys will mock me, but I've had just a hand full of flats in almost 7 years of riding here. No liners, no special set up. Usually get tubes at REI and honestly have had a hand full of flats (like one last week.....)

I ride 1 or 2 x per week at all of our awesome spots around the valley........just like you cats!

I know I've jinxed myself, but I just had to throw it out there..............!

Meatbomb
    knock wood , tjkm. you're marked now

livin' the dream......
    yeah, but I like to take my chances!

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    I do the same, has worked great.

Just use some pliers to unscrew the "little round nut like thingy". Just a little extra pressure and it should come off.

Hold on to valve inside the tube and pour it in. I snipped the tip on the Stans bottle small enough the value barely fits...Could be a pain in the arse if your Stans bottle already has large hole.

I read that some people, instead of removing the valve, use a syringe and a needle full of stans then slap on patch over their "trackmark"...
    Yep, just use pliers to unscrew the nut thing. Just make sure you are ready to capture the valve core as it falls back through the stem because it is a pain in the butt to find it somewhere in the tube and work it back through the stem.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

ook
    Bexar County
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    Hmm...must be a fat needle, because that Stans sure is thick stuff.
    Any ideas where to buy such a syringe?

Mar 2008
    Pool_Monkey, I just now noticed your last post, haha, but yeah, get ahold of me when you get back in town.
    Last edited by IARider; 09-11-2008 at 07:57 AM.

mtbr member
    TR Tubes and 8oz's of Slime haven't had a flat tire in 6 months

Members who have read this thread: 0