mtbr member

Thinking about a 27.5 FS

Riding mostly trail these days so seems like it might be something fun to try. Tell me what you like or dont like about yours

Also any recommendations $1250 range and since my grandson is interested in riding thought this might be a way to get him into some better components as compared to a FS bike at his budget which is closer to $800. Local buy would be nice but online is good too...
    Last edited by broncbuster; 04-22-2018 at 08:21 PM.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Find a couple salsa el mariachis or trek superflys at that price and ride on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Are you dead set on a 29er? If not maybe check out the Trek Roscoe 8, has a 27.5+ tire and it's in your price range. I just picked one up a few weeks ago and love it so far. Ive put about 40 or so miles on it and the only negative thing I have to say about it so far is there is no thru axel in the rear. It has a boost 141QR, which is not as stiff as a thru axel and as of right now not as many options to upgrade to. Other then that the bike rides really nice with the 27.5+ tires on it. They also have the Roscoe 7, a downgrade from the 8 which your grandson could possible look at. Might be a little over his budget but maybe you could find a deal somewhere. I think the main differences between the 2 are the 8 comes with an air fork, dropper post, and different drive train and brakes. Also have a buddy that picked up a Specialized Fuse 6 Fattie. It has the 27.5+ tires as well, just not as an aggressive frame as the Roscoe and he really likes it so far. I think you can get a base line Fattie for around 900 or so.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RCH17 View Post
    Are you dead set on a 29er? If not maybe check out the Trek Roscoe 8, has a 27.5+ tire and it's in your price range. I just picked one up a few weeks ago and love it so far. Ive put about 40 or so miles on it and the only negative thing I have to say about it so far is there is no thru axel in the rear. It has a boost 141QR, which is not as stiff as a thru axel and as of right now not as many options to upgrade to. Other then that the bike rides really nice with the 27.5+ tires on it. They also have the Roscoe 7, a downgrade from the 8 which your grandson could possible look at. Might be a little over his budget but maybe you could find a deal somewhere. I think the main differences between the 2 are the 8 comes with an air fork, dropper post, and different drive train and brakes. Also have a buddy that picked up a Specialized Fuse 6 Fattie. It has the 27.5+ tires as well, just not as an aggressive frame as the Roscoe and he really likes it so far. I think you can get a base line Fattie for around 900 or so.
    Why would you buy a new pile of junk when you can buy a used high end hardtail for the budget they have. You could have done the same thing. Why buy a pile of junk parts attached to a junk frame that youll just need to upgrade later when the low end crap breaks? For 1200 you can find bikes with higher end wheels and xt level parts on a quality frame. I really dont understand the bike industry and the decisions people make in the industry/hobby. If people stopped buying junk bikes by the doazen that would force them to lower the price on the good ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Bahahahahahahah not sure why this guy ^ is so salty, but I'm happy with my pile of junk, and I'm going to enjoy riding the heck out of it. Anyway @broncbuster hopefully you find something you feel comfortable on and same goes for your grandson so you guys can enjoy some riding time with each other. Good luck bud.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Put jerks on ignore. Life becomes better.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member

I am just toying with the idea but set on a 29er for now maybe even a 29er full suspension but not at the same price range though.

I was looking at a few 27.5 for him though but I saw this 29er Marin Rock Spring 2 at performance's website for $900 not a total piece of junk judging by the components. The roscoe 7 has way more eyeball and a little more travel but is too far over budget at around $1000. Probably should stick close to the $800 since he may not even stick with MTBing...

mtbr member
    Bahahahahahahah not sure why this guy ^ is so salty, but I'm happy with my pile of junk, and I'm going to enjoy riding the heck out of it. Anyway @broncbuster hopefully you find something you feel comfortable on and same goes for your grandson so you guys can enjoy some riding time with each other. Good luck bud.
    Thanks looking forward to spending some time with him. Took him years ago and hes got some skill and crazy stamina for someone who had never rode.

Nov 2015
    Wheres the logic? You made my point even further. You buy a new 900 dollar bike and he may not stick with it and you sell the bike for 400. Or yiu can buy a 2500 dollar bike for 800 and if he doesnt like it you can sell it for 900. I dont understand the thought process of people buying low end bikes that will just fall apart as soon as you go off the bike path. The bike companies have a word for those people but ill keep that to myself. Its okay to use basic math and common sense when buying a bike. Not only that, you will have a much higher probability of sticking with the sport if you start on a decent bike and actually can enjoy the ride and the bike doesnt fall apart after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Wheres the logic? You made my point even further. You buy a new 900 dollar bike and he may not stick with it and you sell the bike for 400. Or yiu can buy a 2500 dollar bike for 800 and if he doesnt like it you can sell it for 900. I dont understand the thought process of people buying low end bikes that will just fall apart as soon as you go off the bike path. The bike companies have a word for those people but ill keep that to myself. Its okay to use basic math and common sense when buying a bike. Not only that, you will have a much higher probability of sticking with the sport if you start on a decent bike and actually can enjoy the ride and the bike doesnt fall apart after a few rides.
    Im not opposed to buying used. Didnt find anything that jumped out at me in that price range though. Also he's over 6' so needs an xl/19" frame probably so that doesnt help used. If you come across any deals let me know...

Also was hoping not to have to work on it right away ...usually with used you do
    Last edited by broncbuster; 04-15-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Caint spell ...

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Im not opposed to buying used. Didnt find anything that jumped out at me in that price range though. Also he's over 6' so needs an xl/19" frame probably so that doesnt help used. If you come across any deals let me know...

Also was hoping not to have to work on it right away ...usually with used you do
    Well I was just getting ready to send you a PM about my Vassago Optimus Ti that I am thinking about selling until you said your grandson is over 6 ft. It wouldn’t fit him. Instead I’ll just say what a good gramps you are for getting him into mtb. Good job bronc!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I absolutely love my Kona Honzo as a do-it-all hardtail. I think the AL options start around that price point, and if you could find one used even better. I honestly don't think I've ever heard a negative opinion of the bike after riding.

mtbr member
    Been a long time riding FS. My first mtb had no suspension and I recall breaking a few seat rails. Do they ride as rough or do the bigger wheels help with that? How about ground control at speed in rougher terrain?

mtbr member
    I have Santa Cruz Highball carbon that I am about to finish off and sell. I love that bike and used it everywhere including bikepacking and AES rides. However I wanted a little squish so went FS. The bike will have new take of GX 1x11 drivetrain and Sram Level TL brakes. That goes with existing 120mm Fox Factory fork and stans crest wheels.

Plan to sell once I bleed the brakes (had to break the lines to remove from the new bike) in that price range. The only issue is that it is a medium and will fit riders 5'6" to 5'9". So too small.

You should however be able to find good solid bikes in that price range in that size.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    Been a long time riding FS. My first mtb had no suspension and I recall breaking a few seat rails. Do they ride as rough or do the bigger wheels help with that? How about ground control at speed in rougher terrain?
    I moved from a 26" HT to the 29" HT and it made every rock smaller. Big improvement.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    The bigger wheels help with the ride, but don't be mistaken, it will still be a hard tail. The 27.5 plus size suggested earlier, will give a cushier ride, because it's a bigger volume tire. Also the outer diameter is about the same as a 2.4 29er, so rollover is pretty much as good, but with more traction. I had to have the fat tires to ride hard tail mode. My back didnt get along with the harshness of the skinnier tires.

mtbr member
    You can definitely get great deals on used bikes, but you have to be vigilant and be looking often to find the good deals before they are snatched up. What size bike are you looking for yourself? The best place to find used bikes in the valley is Stevebay on Facebook.

Here are a couple that you might take a look at for your grandson.
    XL 2017 Salsa Timberjack: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1839...73992859408199

2015 Trek xcaliber 8: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1839...96301350510683

Going with new, I always recommend Action Ride Shop (Snow Ski, Snowboard Clothing Sales & Rentals, Paddle Board, Moutain & Road Bike, Thule, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, Chandler, Queen Creek, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Ahwatukee, Burton, Salomon, Union, Smith, Spy, Arbor, Capita, Atomic, Thirty Two, Bern, Zeal, El). They recently merged with Adventure Cycle who I have always taken my bikes to. They are a Kona dealer and can hook you up with a Honzo which has been recommended and I also recommend. They also have an XL 2018 Kona Mahuna in stock and on sale for $720. They have a bunch of other great bikes to take a look at. I'm not sure which part of the valley you are in but they are located on Gilbert and Southern in Mesa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    The bigger wheels help with the ride, but don't be mistaken, it will still be a hard tail. The 27.5 plus size suggested earlier, will give a cushier ride, because it's a bigger volume tire. Also the outer diameter is about the same as a 2.4 29er, so rollover is pretty much as good, but with more traction. I had to have the fat tires to ride hard tail mode. My back didnt get along with the uharshness of the skinnier tires.
    That was one of my concerns. What size tires are you running?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post
    You can definitely get great deals on used bikes, but you have to be vigilant and be looking often to find the good deals before they are snatched up. What size bike are you looking for yourself? The best place to find used bikes in the valley is Stevebay on Facebook.

Here are a couple that you might take a look at for your grandson.
    XL 2017 Salsa Timberjack: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1839...73992859408199

2015 Trek xcaliber 8: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1839...96301350510683

Going with new, I always recommend Action Ride Shop (Snow Ski, Snowboard Clothing Sales & Rentals, Paddle Board, Moutain & Road Bike, Thule, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe, Chandler, Queen Creek, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Ahwatukee, Burton, Salomon, Union, Smith, Spy, Arbor, Capita, Atomic, Thirty Two, Bern, Zeal, El). They recently merged with Adventure Cycle who I have always taken my bikes to. They are a Kona dealer and can hook you up with a Honzo which has been recommended and I also recommend. They also have an XL 2018 Kona Mahuna in stock and on sale for $720. They have a bunch of other great bikes to take a look at. I'm not sure which part of the valley you are in but they are located on Gilbert and Southern in Mesa.
    Im in NE Phoenix. Thanks for the tip..

mtbr member
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1193322[/ATTACH

This 27.5 is appealing..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a hardtail 29er-screenshot_2018-04-16-17-08-30.png  

mtbr member
    27.5 plus is either 2.8, or 3.0. I am riding a full fatbike hardtail right now, so that's a whole nuther topic. Rolling 4.8s

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Would this bike be considered a 27.5+ or a regular 27.5! If a plus you could roll 29s in it as well!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evangorp View Post
    Would this bike be considered a 27.5+ or a regular 27.5! If a plus you could roll 29s in it as well!
    Cant say but they do have it in a 29" version. Maybe theyre one and the same though... leaning more towards a 27.5 but probably a FS. I want something agile a quick responding for fast trail riding. From what Im reading a 26er is probably better for that.

mtbr member
    I just picked up one of these for my 14 year old daughter. Great bike/parts for the price and could always put a set of 29 wheels on it later.

https://airbornebicycles.com/products/griffin

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What about this Obera at Jensonusa they have one left

Orbea Loki 27+ H30 Bike 2017 | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtestdummee View Post
    What about this Obera at Jensonusa they have one left

Orbea Loki 27+ H30 Bike 2017 | Jenson USA
    Nice looking bike but I've decided I would want FS if I do go 27.5 but I want decent components so probably go used if I can find a deal. My Grandson has decided to save up for something better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What size do you need?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    If you fit an XL this Obrea is a sweet hard tail 29er. It’s loaded with top end components.

Orbea Alma 29 H10 Bike 2017 | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    What size do you need?
    Large 17" on a 26er but seeing a medium being recommended for one 27.5 but that one doesnt state what that is in inches.

mtbr member
    Saw a smokin deal on a giant trance on craigslist 1 year old for $1700 xl though...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Xl is probably to big for you. I guessing you are 5’8 or 5’9. If so Medium and some smaller framed large bikes. But no XL.

mtbr member
    Xl is probably to big for you. I guessing you are 5’8 or 5’9. If so Medium and some smaller framed large bikes. But no XL.
    5-10 so no XL for me...

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I am 5 10 and ride a smaller framed large (18.5 inch) and that Obrea Loki is 470mm (18.5 inch) and at $999 its a screaming deal and you have some cash to upgrade to a carbon 29er wheel set. It would probably also fit you like a glove.

You won’t find a better hardtail for that kind of money in your size. I am actually thinking about grabbing that bike just to have a hardtail back in my lineup.

mtbr member
    I am 5 10 and ride a smaller framed large (18.5 inch) and that Obrea Loki is 470mm (18.5 inch) and at $999 its a screaming deal and you have some cash to upgrade to a carbon 29er wheel set. It would probably also fit you like a glove.

You won’t find a better hardtail for that kind of money in your size. I am actually thinking about grabbing that bike just to have a hardtail back in my lineup.
    I hear ya some great prices on hardtails but I have since originally posting this thread changed my mind on what I'm looking for... Interested in a 27.5 full suspension now maybe even just a newer 26er.

Broke the last two frames
    (one new one used) so either way something on the beefier side probably though am riding mostly trail these days so maybe that shouldnt be as much of a concern now and Im not overweight.

mtbr member
    Thinking about a hardtail 29er-marin-hawk-hill-1-.jpg

This is what I ended up getting for myself. Not wild about some of the components but should be good for my trail use for some years then do some upgrades. $1400 at Performance Bike and got double points so around $250 store credit I think he said. My Grandson can ride my 26er for now.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-6715