mtbr member

Is there anywhere to surf in AZ?

Was in Walmart today and was walking past the magazine section when I figured I'd grab some new reading material for the "throne room". After 10 minutes of searching I find out they had 0 bike mags. No Bicycling, no MBaction, no Dirt, nothing. I understand that PHX is a popular place to bike so they could be sold out, but while searching, I discovered they did have FIVE different surfing mags. Who the hell needs a surfing magazine in AZ?????????? I know we are close to CA, but not that damn close. Is there a secret ocean that only AZ natives know about, us transplants aren't allowed to know the location of the desert oasis surf spot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjreeves717
    Was in Walmart today and was walking past the magazine section when I figured I'd grab some new reading material for the "throne room". After 10 minutes of searching I find out they had 0 bike mags. No Bicycling, no MBaction, no Dirt, nothing. I understand that PHX is a popular place to bike so they could be sold out, but while searching, I discovered they did have FIVE different surfing mags. Who the hell needs a surfing magazine in AZ?????????? I know we are close to CA, but not that damn close. Is there a secret ocean that only AZ natives know about, us transplants aren't allowed to know the location of the desert oasis surf spot.
    Actually, yes there is: Big Surf.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Damn. I guess I gotta go back and pick up a couple of the surf mags to get the latest gear.

mtbr member
    May 2007

big river surf in the GC

Some surfers have packed a surfboard along for the Colorado River thru the Grand Canyon and surfed some of the rapids,,,,,,,,,,,,,,very impressive

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ hehe, I was just gonna say the same
    Honestly... ahh I give up

!@#$%&!
    Watch the movie North Shore. The begining is a surf contest at Big Surf. I remember surfing there in high school in the late 80s. Haven't been there since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zukicidal
    Watch the movie North Shore. The begining is a surf contest at Big Surf. I remember surfing there in high school in the late 80s. Haven't been there since.
    Back in the 80s, they actually drained the pool at Big Surf and held a street skateboarding competition there. All the big names where there: all the Bones Brigade, Hosoi,etc.It was pretty cool.

!@#$%&!
    I remember that skate contest. It was awesome! Totally rad even.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    didn't know the soul surfers got their start in az........

One of my favorites with gleaming the cube.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

I am Walt
    Charlie don't surf...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is there anywhere to surf in AZ?-charlie-dont-surf.jpg  

Ride more; post less...

Ridin bikes is fun
    I'll be surfing all summer.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    I'll be surfing all summer.....

With a name like Surfndav....what choice do you have?

Where's the new Yeti?!

Dooosh!
    Behind a boat, or tie off on a tree at the Salt River!
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Jfa?

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Back in the 80s, they actually drained the pool at Big Surf and held a street skateboarding competition there. All the big names where there: all the Bones Brigade, Hosoi,etc.It was pretty cool.
    Did JFA play at the gig? I had planned on driving down to the event from Flagstaff but work got in the way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    Did JFA play at the gig? I had planned on driving down to the event from Flagstaff but work got in the way
    Not sure. I remember they had a half pipe there as well, and this was when Tony Hawk was considered *only* a vert rider. He entered the street contest, and actually surprised a lot of folks.

BTW, rumor has it one of JFA's members posts on this forum.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    With a name like Surfndav....what choice do you have?

Where's the new Yeti?!
    My name does come form back when surfing was my main thing. I lived in San Diego for nearly 20 years. I was as into surfing as I am now into mountain biking and I was about as competent as I now am at mountain biking. Which is to say I could hang in just about any size surf but when people like Rob Machado you Joel Tudor or other surfers of there level were in the water, I wasn't getting many waves. But most of the time I was having much fun.

The new Yeti.............Anybody want to buy a road bike? It's cheep, search Craigslist for Specialized Allez Epic Pro...........Help me get my new Yeti....Once I sell the road bike I'll buy the new Yeti.....It's a wife thing.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by BRA DOG
    Behind a boat, or tie off on a tree at the Salt River!
    Dan, you should come out and go to the lake sometime this summer. Do you work Mondays?

Dooosh!
    Dan, you should come out and go to the lake sometime this summer. Do you work Mondays?
    Yes I work Mondays, sucks! Cant wait to get back to So Cal though and hit Trestles!
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

Ridin bikes is fun
    Is there a secret ocean that only AZ natives know about, us transplants aren't allowed to know the location of the desert oasis surf spot.
    Who needs an ocean anyway.....This is actually a lot more fun than I'm making it look here. This was my first attempt with my new board. I did better as the day went on, but this is the only video I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szS-7YWhCm0

!@#$%&!
    Nice surfing Dave. I've tried that wake surfing but couldn't let go of the rope for more than a second. Not the right speed maybe? BTW, I don't work Mondays right now.

Don't believe the Hype...
    You should have bought one just for the Reef girls...

http://www.reef.com/
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    AZ is supposedly getting that ocean of which you speak: http://www.waveyard.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BRA DOG
    Cant wait to get back to So Cal though and hit Trestles!
    nice! i go to the cliffs or blacks for SD, but in LA el porto is pretty fun too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was as into surfing as I am now into mountain biking and I was about as competent as I now am at mountain biking. Which is to say I could hang in just about any size surf but when people like Rob Machado you Joel Tudor or other surfers of there level were in the water, I wasn't getting many waves. But most of the time I was having much fun.
    good stuff, i was surfing haleiwa at the north shore, sunny garcia and andy irons were ****ing killing it. i was sitting in the channel, watching till they were done no waves for the whiteboy

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by frgeoff
    AZ is supposedly getting that ocean of which you speak: http://www.waveyard.com/

nice! i go to the cliffs or blacks for SD, but in LA el porto is pretty fun too.
    Blacks, Wind n Sea and sometimes Scrips and a little Del Mar tossed in, was where I spent most of the late 80's and into about 2002. It wasn't a bad time to say the least. But I love me some AZ these days.

suvlako
    Surfndave,

If you ever need a third, hit me up. I'll bring libations and gas money and I can drive a straight line...

Shred...it's the new drug
    This is me yesterday at the flowrider in Mesa...I'm gonna master the stand up next!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    if anyone wants to go for a roadtrip to SD or baja lmk! im always down

Members who have read this thread: 0