IPA tester

Thanks to all the AZ trail builders

Two weeks ago my son and I drove over from San Diego to try out something different. I have been following the AZ forum for years and have ridden Sedona and Prescott many times now. We headed over to Phx and took in a couple trail systems during our weekend

We started off Saturday morning and headed over to Gold Canyon. What a great place to ride! The trail system is very well laid out and flows pretty nicely for the most part. Found a couple little extra credit areas to session and play for a bit. For the most part we followed a route that Freeskier46 posted up (Thanks FS) and the great map by Crashlongjohn (Thanks Crash) made navigation easy. Did some other trails and we ended up with 29 miles. My old arse was dragging afterwards.

During lunch we were discussing some extra credit for the afternoon so we headed to Hawes. Another fun place to ride but I was beat down from the morning ride so about 12 miles and I called it quits. Headed back to the hotel for some Jacuzzi and cold frosties

After a healthy breakfast we drove over to Fins since it was so close to the hotel. Fun little neighborhood riding area. Put in a bit over 19 miles there and saw most of the place. Hit Kimurels hurl ( I think that's what its called) about three times just to get a bit of that bike park feel in.

I have to mention that everyone we talked to were so great and very helpful. The guys at FINS were like tour guides giving tips and route suggestions too. We really like the flow of most of the trails we rode. For someone that has put in the time to build many trails over her in San Diego I wanted to say thanks to the folks that build and maintain the AZ trails that we enjoyed. Please keep up the good fight for access and moving the dirt
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

Meatbomb
    Is Fins really a fight? I thought it was private land...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's a shout out to those who built, and continue to improve, the Black Canyon trail. We had a great couple of days riding about half of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Is Fins really a fight? I thought it was private land...
    ...I was under the impression that it might have initially been built without Newland Homes explicit permission.

And if any of you have been following the MTB scene in San Diego, the Phoenix area is a veritable paradise of open land, milk and honey....

IPA tester
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    .And if any of you have been following the MTB scene in San Diego, the Phoenix area is a veritable paradise of open land, milk and honey....
    I was trying to thank those that bust their butts to build trails that we all enjoy. I'm sure at times it seems like people come from all over to beat the crap out of what you have built and then never give back.

You really wouldn't believe how frigging bad it is here trying to get trails built. The SDMBA and many individual people have finally moved the needle. Ride it until they pave it....
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    .. For someone that has put in the time to build many trails over her in San Diego I wanted to say thanks to the folks that build and maintain the AZ trails that we enjoyed. Please keep up the good fight for access and moving the dirt
    I guess we are blessed here in Phx because there pretty much no fight for trails and access. People have compained that the "old school moto" trails are Browns Ranch area (formerly known as Pima and Dynamite) got "sanitized" and are not fun. That said they just open up a special area aimed at Mtn bikers in that area and all "dumbed" down trails are still fun and account for probalby 80 miles of trails. Plus they are working on a new area and many of the old trail are still there an open, but just not mapped. These are mostly on edge of the preserve, but there are a few still in it.

Near me they put in 50 miles of new trails and 3 new trail heads. I think Phoenix is the most mtn bike friendly big city in the country. Sure it does get hot and due to size of the city you may need to drive around to get to the trails, but 90% of the trails are open of Mtn bike. The number of trails and miles is high overall and the trails have wide range of challenges. Plus there is access to all the trail systems outside the metro area which is pretty good too.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.