Test your tire IQ- Mtbr.com
    ~~~~~~~

Test your tire IQ

I'll give a series of hypothetical situations and you respond with your best answer. This is not a timed test.

1) You've purchased a new tire and within a week you have a sidewall tear. You'd like to continue using the tire for tubeless use. How do you repair it (all resources available to you)?

2) You get a sidewall tear on the trail and have no tubes. You do have a patch kit, about 5 ounces of sealant in your tire, and several energy bars, plus a five dollar bill with you. What do you do with 5 miles of singletrack descent remaining. There is a well trafficked paved roadway at mile 2 that takes you back to your car.

3) You get a sidewall tear and have two tubes with you and 12 miles of remote and technical trail to ride. Do you attempt to boot the tire or do you use one of your tubes? You also have a patch kit.

Ok, you may now begin your exam.

note: you will only be evaluated on the answer to Question 1.

sprocket
    1) You've purchased a new tire and within a week you have a sidewall tear. You'd like to continue using the tire for tubeless use. How do you repair it (all resources available to you)? Duct tape and upholstery thread

2) You get a sidewall tear on the trail and have no tubes. You do have a patch kit, about 5 ounces of sealant in your tire, and several energy bars, plus a five dollar bill with you. What do you do with 5 miles of singletrack descent remaining. There is a well trafficked paved roadway at mile 2 that takes you back to your car. carry a tube at all times.

3) You get a sidewall tear and have two tubes with you and 12 miles of remote and technical trail to ride. Do you attempt to boot the tire or do you use one of your tubes? You also have a patch kit. use everything you have

note: you will only be evaluated on the answer to Question 1.[/QUOTE]
    always carry thread, needle and a tube

parenting for gnarness
    i carry some duct tape wrapped around my pumps, a tube, and a slice from an old milk jug for a tire boot.

Interesting comment Yeti about the upholstery thread. Do you get that at like Michael's? I've also heard you can fix a sidewall tear by using part of an old tire and rubber cement, but not tried this myself.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sew with dental floss and some super glue, then use a tube patch on the inside.

aka Diesel
    Same answer for all three: Stand there and look helpless, cry a little if need be, and should that fail, always be prepared to offer beer in trade for services.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

I am Walt
    1) You've purchased a new tire and within a week you have a sidewall tear. You'd like to continue using the tire for tubeless use. How do you repair it (all resources available to you)? I don't; I buy a new one.

2) You get a sidewall tear on the trail and have no tubes. You do have a patch kit, about 5 ounces of sealant in your tire, and several energy bars, plus a five dollar bill with you. What do you do with 5 miles of singletrack descent remaining. There is a well trafficked paved roadway at mile 2 that takes you back to your car. Assuming that the tube I ALWAYS carry is not available because CoyoteKis had an earlier mishap that required me to fix it using MY tube because she "forgot" HER backup tube (again), I would futz around for a while trying to fix it, get pissed, turn green, rip off my shirt, throw the bike over my back and walk it out...

3) You get a sidewall tear and have two tubes with you and 12 miles of remote and technical trail to ride. Do you attempt to boot the tire or do you use one of your tubes? You also have a patch kit. Patch and tube it

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Same answer for all three: Stand there and look helpless, cry a little if need be, and should that fail, always be prepared to offer beer in trade for services.
    *snicker*

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    1) You've purchased a new tire and within a week you have a sidewall tear. You'd like to continue using the tire for tubeless use. How do you repair it (all resources available to you)? Duct tape and upholstery thread

2) You get a sidewall tear on the trail and have no tubes. You do have a patch kit, about 5 ounces of sealant in your tire, and several energy bars, plus a five dollar bill with you. What do you do with 5 miles of singletrack descent remaining. There is a well trafficked paved roadway at mile 2 that takes you back to your car. carry a tube at all times.

3) You get a sidewall tear and have two tubes with you and 12 miles of remote and technical trail to ride. Do you attempt to boot the tire or do you use one of your tubes? You also have a patch kit. use everything you have

always carry thread, needle and a tube[/QUOTE]
    100% correct.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I ride with tools

get real

You'd better be prepared to trade more than a beer for me to help out someone who wants to trade their good looks for a free bailout. Would your tactics work if you had a flat chest and buck teeth?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Trade tubes for phone numbers?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    heads up, pencils down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    I'll give a series of hypothetical situations and you respond with your best answer. This is not a timed test.

1) You've purchased a new tire and within a week you have a sidewall tear. You'd like to continue using the tire for tubeless use. How do you repair it (all resources available to you)?

Use a rubber cement/radial tire patch kit (buy at Ace hardware for 2$)

2) You get a sidewall tear on the trail and have no tubes. You do have a patch kit, about 5 ounces of sealant in your tire, and several energy bars, plus a five dollar bill with you. What do you do with 5 miles of singletrack descent remaining. There is a well trafficked paved roadway at mile 2 that takes you back to your car.

[/I] I walk the two miles back to the car. no use wasting 5$ or my supplies to avoid a 2 mile walk.[/I]

3) You get a sidewall tear and have two tubes with you and 12 miles of remote and technical trail to ride. Do you attempt to boot the tire or do you use one of your tubes? You also have a patch kit.

put in a tube with a wraper over the tear. inflate the tires to high pressure to avoid pinching for the lat 12 miles.

Ok, you may now begin your exam.

~~~~~~~
    and the winner is.......

drum roll.

this dude

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    You'd better be prepared to trade more than a beer for me to help out someone who wants to trade their good looks for a free bailout. Would your tactics work if you had a flat chest and buck teeth?
    I am a cheap whore... beer works on me, even if you are flat chested and have buck teeth. Hell, it even works if you are male (beer for trail help that is). Get over it.

I am Walt
    Err...TOOL TIME!!!
    (Psst...it's called humor...)

aka Diesel

Get real, is right!

Oh you SWEET talker, you!

Robert, if you aren't joking, then seriously, you picked the wrong thread to start huffing glue. Did you actually think my post was anything more than tongue-in-cheek? Was my humor not obvious? Do you think I, or any other woman, bad economy or not, is standing there with a cooler of beer, looking for free tubes and a 'bailout' What alternate reality do YOU live in?? IT WAS A JOKE!!!

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Assuming that the tube I ALWAYS carry is not available because CoyoteKis had an earlier mishap that required me to fix it using MY tube because she "forgot" HER backup tube (again), I would futz around for a while trying to fix it, get pissed, turn green, rip off my shirt, throw the bike over my back and walk it out...[/COLOR][/B]
    Which is hot. You rock green.
    And I love that for 11 months, you've bought my whole "I forgot my tube" story. I am one tube away from nigh legendary status for having cashed in on "bailouts", and *I* didn't even have to give you a beer!!! Mwahaha.

I am Walt
    And I love that for 11 months, you've bought my whole "I forgot my tube" story.
    Hook, line and sinker...there must be a reason I always carry two backup tubes when I'm running tubeless...

sprocket
    I always carry two backup tubes when I'm running tubeless...
    because, you know, you save a lot of weight by running tubeless.

My other ride is your mom
    I believe the weight claim most folks make is made due to changes in rotational weight, not overall weight. Personally, I run ghetto tubeless; but only carry one tube as a backup except for really long rides far away from roads....then I bring the kitchen sink.

I am Walt
    because, you know, you save a lot of weight by running tubeless.
    It's all about the moment of inertia and angular mass...

sprocket
    sure. People who run tubes in tires are inferior and shouldn't be on the trails.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I believe the weight claim most folks make is made due to changes in rotational weight, not overall weight. Personally, I run ghetto tubeless; but only carry one tube as a backup except for really long rides far away from roads....then I bring the kitchen sink.
    I've been ghetto tubeless with both my bikes, and only had two flats, in what, two years? One was a sidewall tear, not actually a flat, for that matter. The other, happened on the TOWM pre-ride, and surprise surprise! I HAD MY OWN TUBE! Tools too, even. (Not saying I changed the tire myself. I mean, let's not get crazy! ) Best thing I ever did, going GT.

aka Diesel
    sure. People who run tubes in tires are inferior and shouldn't be on the trails.
    Trying not to look at BrianC.... hehe...

mtbr member
    Trying not to look at BrianC.... hehe...

check the thread about Flats at the TOWM. *THEN* you'll be looking at me.
    b

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    check the thread about Flats at the TOWM. *THEN* you'll be looking at me.
    The image of you is burned into the memory of the dozens of riders who passed we three, while you changed that flat. It was bar-none, the funniest moment of the ride. But I still don't get why nobody was willing to slap your hiney when they rode by!

mtbr member
    The image of you is burned into the memory of the dozens of riders who passed we three, while you changed that flat. It was bar-none, the funniest moment of the ride. But I still don't get why nobody was willing to slap your hiney when they rode by!
    they were awe-struck?
    b

I am Walt
    I've been ghetto tubeless with both my bikes, and only had two flats, in what, two years? One was a sidewall tear, not actually a flat, for that matter.
    I believe that tear resulted in a walk-out at the bottom of Sunrise...

The other, happened on the TOWM pre-ride, and surprise surprise! I HAD MY OWN TUBE! Tools too, even. (Not saying I changed the tire myself. I mean, let's not get crazy! ) Best thing I ever did, going GT.
    *stare*
    Your OWN tube...? You mean, the one that was shot and wouldn't inflate? Or are you claming ownership of MY backup tube, that *I* used to fix it...? Wait...of COURSE you are...since you still HAVE it, and thus, must OWN it...

And you forgot your THIRD flat, when the ghosts chased us, at night, on Lost Dog...remember how quickly I changed it (with MY backup tube), with you turning this way and that, reacting to EVERY sound outside of the beam of my light...?

Not that I'm keeping track or anything...

aka Diesel
    I believe that tear resulted in a walk-out at the bottom of Sunrise...
    Ah yes... I remember... wasn't that the night we shared our first... Costco burger...?
    I've been hooked on those ever since!! In fact, it's what's for dinner!

Your OWN tube...? You mean, the one that was shot and wouldn't inflate? Or are you claming ownership of MY backup tube, that *I* used to fix it...? Wait...of COURSE you are...since you still HAVE it, and thus, must OWN it...
    I said NOTHING about the quality of my tube... I merely said I HAD one. And when it comes to you, I practice my own trail-version of eminent domain, so quit with the "my" stuff; what's yours IS mine.

And you forgot your THIRD flat, when the ghosts chased us, at night, on Lost Dog...remember how quickly I changed it (with MY backup tube), with you turning this way and that, reacting to EVERY sound outside of the beam of my light...?

Not that I'm keeping track or anything...
    Holy Tube Lending, Batman! Are you bitter, or just intent on getting me to admit that I am THAT GIRL on the trail, who preys on the tubes of unsuspecting, innocent mountain bikers? Fine! Mea Culpa! TUBES ARE IN THE MAIL!!!

PS- Umm, I do believe YOU were the one who caused that paranoia over the paranormal, that night, if memory serves, and it does. It resulted in one of my most acrobatic falls to date. And this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

sprocket
    And this...
    That is not nearly as nice as the bloody torso shot.

I am Walt
    Don't make me post the Stan's Monster pic from the TOWM pre-ride...

aka Diesel
    Don't make me post the Stan's Monster pic from the TOWM pre-ride...
    *blink*

To Whom it May Concern,

Please accept my apology for my snarky remarks, which I do whole-heartedly retract. I offer my most sincere regret for any discomfort or stress caused by my insensitive and unnecessary response, and beg of your forgiveness and mercy.

Humbly yours,

Coyote Kismet's Vanity

aka Diesel
    Few things are, I'm afraid. Hard to out-do that kind of unsolicited carnage.

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    and the winner is.......

drum roll.

this dude

yeah, the same guy that did:

THIS (caution, not for the squeemish)

and this (for traction):

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    yeah, the same guy that did:

THIS (caution, not for the squeemish)
    Dude, how in the hell did you do that to your foot?
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by Pynis McDermott
    Dude, how in the hell did you do that to your foot?
    not me... Stoltz.

here's the backstory:
    http://www.conradstoltz.com/xterra-richmond/

not to ruin the ending, but after this, he won the race. sure, some say not smart. other say jumbo cojones.

(tons of other injury/surgery pics on his site)

/end threadjack

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    /end threadjack
    i don't think a threadjack is possible when following in the wake of CoyoteKis and her Man-Clan.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My girlfriend just calls me and asks me to come rescue her, lucky the one time that she did she was riding the canal and was easy to get to.

Nice ouchy CoyoteKis!

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman1243
    My girlfriend just calls me and asks me to come rescue her, lucky the one time that she did she was riding the canal and was easy to get to.

Nice ouchy CoyoteKis!
    Thankee. :-) Chicks dig scars. Err...

And I've NOT forgotten about that WH ride!. Ihaven't been on my bike since the race.

Btw, I've got a little chill Hawes ride tomorrow eve coming together, if you or anyone else wants to join up! Just PM. Rolling out from Walgreens at 6pm ish, then Lucky Lou's after, for a few brewskies.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    i don't think a threadjack is possible when following in the wake of CoyoteKis and her Man-Clan.
    Coyote Kismet's Man-Clan? That almost smacks of subtle dominion.

I like it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thankee. :-) Chicks dig scars. Err...

And I've NOT forgotten about that WH ride!. Ihaven't been on my bike since the race.

Btw, I've got a little chill Hawes ride tomorrow eve coming together, if you or anyone else wants to join up! Just PM. Rolling out from Walgreens at 6pm ish, then Lucky Lou's after, for a few brewskies.
    I'll bring the GF to WH and you guys can compare scars.

Might be able to get a ride in tomorrow at Hawes b4 work.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman1243
    I'll bring the GF to WH and you guys can compare scars.

Might be able to get a ride in tomorrow at Hawes b4 work.
    Excellent! We'll even try to make a few new ones, although, we'll have to try REALLY hard, on WH! But anything is possible... ;-)

I ride with tools
    Oh you SWEET talker, you!

Robert, if you aren't joking, then seriously, you picked the wrong thread to start huffing glue. Did you actually think my post was anything more than tongue-in-cheek? Was my humor not obvious? Do you think I, or any other woman, bad economy or not, is standing there with a cooler of beer, looking for free tubes and a 'bailout' What alternate reality do YOU live in?? IT WAS A JOKE!!!
    If my lips are moving, (or fingers typing) then I am joking. That's mostly all I do.

banned
    Would you 3 get a room already....

Pivotal figure
    Hey! That surgery pic looks almost exactly like the procedure I got to enjoy Now I kinda know what it looked like.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

banned
    Would you.....?

~~~~~~~
    wtf goes on here on the AZ boards? i was almost certain i'd clicked on the wrong tab in my browser and was somehow in craigslist's mm4w casual encounters personals page.

Members who have read this thread: 0