Tagging along .....- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,336

    Tagging along .....

    I took advantage of some free time yesterday to run back out to DC and give it a try without the weekend crowds. I was taking a little break when i saw a group of about 7 riders approaching. Since I always ride alone I've been curious what my pace is compared to others when riding in a group so I fell in line behind them as they passed. The last guy in line acted like he wanted me to pass ( or thought I wanted to pass) and when i told him i was fine and just wanted to follow them he appeard a bit annoyed.

    Did I break some unknown rule ? Did I invade his mojo ? I was not following him real close.

  2. #2
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    i dont know about anyone else,... but i cant say i enjoy having someone i dont know on my ass for an extended period of time. typically, ive got my mp3 player cranked so loud that i wouldnt notice the person... so its really a moot point for me.

    once i notice them i might get annoyed if they didnt pass when i moved over...

  3. #3
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    I gave them plenty of room ( so I thought) and would not think i was on their ass at all.

  4. #4
    shred my gnar
    Reputation: happy_ending's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    604
    sounds like he didnt think so. probably thought you were some kind of stalker. riding solo and getting on someone's ass and all...

  5. #5
    Dave
    Reputation: liteandfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    898
    Maybe he was already mad at himself and not having a good ride
    I need to ride more and work less.

  6. #6
    I, Mudd
    Reputation: hfy108's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    213
    It wouldn't bother me as long as he can deal with any sudden stops I might make.
    "Because I was profiling and it looked stolen.
    90% of everything in my neighborhood is stolen." - Me

  7. #7
    JohnniO
    Guest
    Either ask them if you can tag along for a while or pace them at a distance. Simply showing up and sucking wheel will not be taken well by a lot of people.

  8. #8
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    I would say since he was probably the last one in the group, he probably didn't like to have someone behind him.

    I know when I do group ride's I tend to stick in the back unless I know I can put a gap in between me and the next guy because I hate feeling like I am getting pushed down the trail.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I would say since he was probably the last one in the group, he probably didn't like to have someone behind him.

    I know when I do group ride's I tend to stick in the back unless I know I can put a gap in between me and the next guy because I hate feeling like I am getting pushed down the trail.
    That's it, I'm following you down the trail from now on

  10. #10
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    That's it, I'm following you down the trail from now on
    Hmmm, I seem to remember getting a good view and quite a roost off your wheel on Natty this weekend. Although your new plow was just pulling out of sight on the rocky stuff.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Hmmm, I seem to remember getting a good view and quite a roost off your wheel on Natty this weekend. Although your new plow was just pulling out of sight on the rocky stuff.
    Yeah, you were killing me on National. I had nothing in the tank and whenever I thought of slowing down, I heard you almost buzzing my tire.

    LOL!!
    Glory is Good!

  12. #12
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    I'm not talking about falling in with a group and putting pressure on the last rider to hurry up ( like I could do that to anyone other than an 90 yo lung cancer patient ). I made it perfectly clear I was just tagging along and pacing them. I'd say I kept at least 2-3 bike lengths between us but it appeard to bother him given the fact he turned around to see where i was so often.... After about a mile I slowed way up to give more room. is there a casual buffer zone around other bikers on the trail?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I'm not talking about falling in with a group and putting pressure on the last rider to hurry up ( like I could do that to anyone other than an 90 yo lung cancer patient ). I made it perfectly clear I was just tagging along and pacing them. I'd say I kept at least 2-3 bike lengths between us but it appeard to bother him given the fact he turned around to see where i was so often.... After about a mile I slowed way up to give more room. is there a casual buffer zone around other bikers on the trail?
    Typically, someone is at the back of a group for a reason.
    Some people also get really freaked out if another rider is behind them. Its like something in their mind is telling them to go faster, or they are afraid that they are holding you up. So then they start taking chances or getting a bit out of control and this makes crashing more likely.

    Also...if they are a roadie...dropping in behind someone like that is usually frowned upon (often because they think you are drafting or "wheelsucking").

  14. #14
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    I can understand that but this pack was evenly spaced and the last rider was just as fast as the first .......

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I can understand that but this pack was evenly spaced and the last rider was just as fast as the first .......
    Oh.

    Well, maybe they were just anti-social.

    Buzz their tire next time. Then talk about mittens when they stop.

  16. #16
    JohnniO
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I'm not talking about falling in with a group and putting pressure on the last rider to hurry up ( like I could do that to anyone other than an 90 yo lung cancer patient ). I made it perfectly clear I was just tagging along and pacing them. I'd say I kept at least 2-3 bike lengths between us but it appeard to bother him given the fact he turned around to see where i was so often.... After about a mile I slowed way up to give more room. is there a casual buffer zone around other bikers on the trail?
    So when you asked if they minded you riding with them the said they didn't mind ? or did you just show up and hang on.

    You didn't brake any rules or anything it's just kind of creepy when someone just comes up behind you and then stays behind. In my mind if you caught me from behind you are faster so pass and be on your way. If you want company ask. Rides are like a party, those who show up uninvited are party crashers.

    Again if you want to pace , do it from 50 feet back or in front unless invited to join.

  17. #17
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Oh.

    Well, maybe they were just anti-social.

    Buzz their tire next time. Then talk about mittens when they stop.
    Tire buzzing is an under utilized method of motivation when trail riding. I try to do it to Foote as often as possible. That or just start screaming "I AM A BANANA!!" at the person in front of you and every hiker that you pass, if they don't haul you away when you get to the bottom, then it was another successful ride.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KavuRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Tire buzzing is an under utilized method of motivation when trail riding. I try to do it to Foote as often as possible. That or just start screaming "I AM A BANANA!!" at the person in front of you and every hiker that you pass, if they don't haul you away when you get to the bottom, then it was another successful ride.
    Or just start singing the doom song!

    Doom doom doom doom doom doom doom doom dooooooooom!!

    Oh yeah.

    I AM A BANANA!!!!!

  19. #19
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    so, from this thread I have learned:

    -XC riders are anti social.
    -DH riders are a little psycho



  20. #20
    JohnniO
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    so, from this thread I have learned:

    -XC riders are anti social.
    -DH riders are a little psycho


    You ask advice and then never answer followup questions and then draw your ,I think , predetermined conclusion. If that's what you wanted to say to begin with ,
    "-XC riders are anti social." why don't you just come out with it and just say it.

    since you didn't answer, twice , I'll assume you didn't ask and just slinked on to the back and followed. Creepy and rude come to mind.

  21. #21
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    Sorry buddy, I guess I glanced over your questions.. I did not have a predetermined conclusion and the comment above was a joke ( sorry the smilie thing did not indicate that well enough). I asked the question in the first place to determine if I was acting in a creepy/rude fashion so as to not do it again in the future ...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    So when you asked if they minded you riding with them the said they didn't mind ? or did you just show up and hang on.

    .
    No , I did not ask them if it was ok for me to follow and pace them as they past. I did not even think about it until they were past. So, I guess I just showed up and hung on.. I did tell the last guy I dd not want to pass but just wanted to pace them and hung back about 3 bike lenghts.

    I was simply curious what my solo pace is like compared to a group.. I'd like to join some of the group rides from this site but not if my pace is so slow it would slow everyone else up.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 01-14-2009 at 09:14 AM.

  22. #22
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    I would not care to have someone I don't know following me as closely as you described! My opinion 3 bikes lengths is not considered a gap for a casual ride if you're not part of the group. You should have been able to judge your pace with a lot more distance between you and the group.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Chalkpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    633
    Have you read this month's Mens Journal with the article about Lance? There is an interesting exchange between the author and Lance, call it smack talk in first gear. The premise is to establish a rapport of two riders meeting on the trail to find out who's a player or not.
    I'm often happy to have another rider join in on a ride. The only thing riding in the back of my mind is that I don't really want to take responsibility for the new rider if he isn't up for the ride at our pace, style of ride, etc. Who wants to be a babysitter?
    If I'm out riding solo and encounter another rider(s) who I'd like to tag along with and see what the pace is, then I'll hang well back and wait for an opportunity to meet and greet at a group rest. Asking the last rider in line while going down the trail to join up is not the greatest form from a joining rider. That puts a bit of funk on their "slowest" rider who will certainly be asked later why they let some "dude" join them. At the group rest, I'll ride up, smile, ask to join, add that if I can't hang, don't worry, I can find my way back home with my tail neatly folded back in my shorts.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    808
    I would just assume the guy at the back likes to ride in the back.. he was trying to wave you by.. if someone tries to wave you by it typically means they WANT you to pass..

  25. #25
    Fly High!
    Reputation: RidingRiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,104
    You can fallow as much as you want, personally if I didnt want you there, I would drop a gear and loose you! and If you say I couldnt then you should be leading!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

  26. #26
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,336
    Thanks guys... I posted this because I was concerned I may have messed with someone's mojo and it appears I may have.. Lesson learned even though it's hard to think following someone can be that big of a deal.


    Maybe I'll just join the next C ride posted and go from there.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 01-14-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.