My other ride is your mom

Tacky trails and blue sky

After pre-riding the northern section of the Crazy 88 two weeks ago, I was curious to see what I would be getting myself into over the course of the second half of the day. It seemed like the northern half was all climbing....so with this in mind, I rolled the southern portion yesterday under blue skies, glorious temps and very tacky trails. It had rained 2 days before, but the trails were all in great shape, still moist and very velcro like....I don't think I ever felt my tires give the entire 53 some odd miles. At 4535 ft elevation gained on the day, it felt very manageable to do in conjunction with the northern half of the 88. The 1st hour or so was nothing but one long descent with a few hills in between....this will be most welcome after rolling into Schultz on race day (I call it participation day). The AZ trail section in and around Walnut was not half bad either....2 or 3 really tight switchbacks littered with babyheads aside...most of the drops were rollable with nice slots. The only concern of mine is the mud factor should rain be an issue as it was last year. Even after 2 days of drying conditions...my tires were picking up some serious, but managable mud NE of Walnut. I suspect that if it is raining on participation day...this section will be a slogfest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice write-up for those of us coming up for the 88. How long were you out for?
    Cheers,
    M

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Cool, it looks like a few are going up to be heading up to do the 88 too.

I think we're heading up tomorrow for a preride of the first loop again. We were up about a month ago and even with a GPS and queue sheet we still managed to miss Pick up sticks off Waterline .... Went down what we thought was the trail but it dumped us off onto a fr instead of the meadows campground. I'm hoping we can figure it out this time.

Yep, directionally challenged!

PS nice Pics!
    Tiff

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    Cool, it looks like a few are going up to be heading up to do the 88 too.

I think we're heading up tomorrow for a preride of the first loop again. We were up about a month ago and even with a GPS and queue sheet we still managed to miss Pick up sticks off Waterline .... Went down what we thought was the trail but it dumped us off onto a fr instead of the meadows campground. I'm hoping we can figure it out this time.

Yep, directionally challenged!

PS nice Pics!
    Tiff
    iirc, Pickup Stix is like 200 yards prior to some little shack. I've been studying the map (I overshot it last year too) and it looks to be just before a pretty obvious switchback. I rode right by it last year, but it was really worthwhile when I did find it.

The other things I noted in the queue sheet vs. TopoFusion is Gimpy's Gulley looks to be about 1 mile long, not .5 miles, and Friedlan Prairie Road about 1.5 miles not 2. I also got mixed up on that last year.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and you have better beta. Definitely hoping research will help me out this year.

Maad - nice ride. Sounds like the Southern portion was not hard to navigate, which was also my experience last year except I did not understand the Fisher Point part had a big descent, so got lost there. You are spot on about the mud in that part. Once the climb started out of Walnut things drained better, but leading into it was horrible and there was tons of standing water in the trail If I see rain coming, I'm going to be busting @$$ to clear that stretch.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    yup....I missed Pickup Stix as well my first time....not that the track was not apparent visually or on the GPS track Nate has posted....it's just that I got into the zone on Waterline that I blew right past it while in a blissful state under the canopy of Aspen.

Cholla - after talking to you and re-reading your 88 post last year, it sounds like you missed the tight turn back south right after Fisher Point which takes you on the great descent back down into the canyon....IMO....this descent was up there with the upper portion of 6-shooter in terms of quality (shanghai sally kind of addictive)....only far shorter....

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Maad - I seem to be jealous of every ride you take. Which makes me....mad , but only because they look like such a great time. I must find time to kick out these miles!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0