Tables have turned!- Mtbr.com
    Just another half mile...

Good job! Tables have turned!

I think this is the first time this has ever happened that I know of!

Cyclists prevail over horses on Havasu park trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's great. I grew up in Central Oregon and the trails that were hikers/horses/llamas were in the worst shape ever. The National forest allowed them to have access to the forest creating deep ruts and horrible dust but the oldest mountain bike trails around had made very minamal impact on the forest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Seems like the stable/horse-riders could take an IMBA course and develop their own trails; and likely get alot more juice riding trails specially designed for horses. It will be interesting to see what happens. thanks 4 posting this...if you get more info, pls update the post.
    TS

Give it a crank
    Thanks for posting, you don't get to read good mtb news like that everyday.

mtbr member
    Hill acknowledged the concerns about trail conditions, saying "the bike community did not like the way the horses were tearing up the trails and basically didn't want us down there."
    "I get what they're saying," Hill said. "But we only used about 10 percent of those trails and they have 90 percent to run on."

-Wow, we even got an admission from the horsey lovers that they tear up trails.

banned
    Aug 2012
    The city's letter also stated that the city and the federal Bureau of Land Management could better address the trails issue through a plan now being developed by BLM for the park.

The plan will "determine if commercial trail rides are compatible with existing trail uses, the letter said.

The federal government owns the park property, leasing it to the city for recreation and public purposes.
    The only potential negative I see, is that BLM might decide that all commercial use of BLM land is prohibited ... Everywhere, and not just trails.

Not that it matters to me, but some people do make their living via commercial activities on BLM land via tours/excursions/rentals/etcetera.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wonder if Jennifer's boyfriend has been in Havasu lately. Oh not him again.

Unlikely that BLM would use a small case like this to affect all; BLM has been so empathetic to users other than horses lately. just look at what they have done in Moab; they are very pro mtb.
    TS

parenting for gnarness
    wow! don't wish for the horses to be booted, but glad to see that user volume and damage is being considered along with for-profit groups not contributing to upkeep.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitionSenior View Post
    I wonder if Jennifer's boyfriend has been in Havasu lately. Oh not him again.

Unlikely that BLM would use a small case like this to affect all; BLM has been so empathetic to users other than horses lately. just look at what they have done in Moab; they are very pro mtb.
    TS
    Agreed, but all is possible, and I was making reference to commercial use.

BLM considered shutting down an area where I go shooting ... Due to trash being dumped.
    A shooting group made strong statements to the effect that it was not shooters doing the damage, and that we often carted out more than we brought in.
    BLM ultimately caught a few of the locals trashing the place.
    But they were absolutely considering shutting down an entire section of land (per a BLM agent) to the public, and nailing anyone with a fine, that they caught in the area.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    I think this is the first time this has ever happened that I know of!

Cyclists prevail over horses on Havasu park trails.
    I think there are a couple other areas like Bend, OR that have taken up the realty that horse destroy a loamy type trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0