Sunrise last weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sunrise last weekend

Hey just wanted to let everyone know that the last weekend of SR, they will not be open on that Monday... No reasons no crying...I tried to push fer it

On the good side of things we rode up the lift then hiked down fungis and talked trail...
    As we all know they really wanna focus on a green trail for next season. I know james has something lined out and we will see about rehashing that and bring it to the table next season...

There is also talk about closeing off some trails...conectors....to simplify the trail system, one run top to bottom not 5 diffrent trails that mix from green/blue to black in the same run.

Trail patrol was touched on and feel like it should be inforced so look fer some HELP threads as there will be some heads appointed as LEADS by the management on the hill.

Thats about all fer now, look forward to shredding the hill a few more times with ya'lls

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokenspokesSteve-o

There is also talk about closeing off some trails...conectors....to simplify the trail system, one run top to bottom not 5 diffrent trails that mix from green/blue to black in the same run.
    Well this should just about settle any future plans of mine about going. One trail with all users riding down in the same baby powder creating fashion. Thanks for the heads up and I really appreciate what you have done for all of us up there. Truly high class. But they sound like they might be a bit on the clueless side.

sandbagger
    Hey just wanted to let everyone know that the last weekend of SR, they will not be open on that Monday... No reasons no crying...I tried to push fer it

On the good side of things we rode up the lift then hiked down fungis and talked trail...
    As we all know they really wanna focus on a green trail for next season. I know james has something lined out and we will see about rehashing that and bring it to the table next season...

Trail patrol was touched on and feel like it should be inforced so look fer some HELP threads as there will be some heads appointed as LEADS by the management on the hill.

Thats about all fer now, look forward to shredding the hill a few more times with ya'lls
    what weekend is the last weekend ?
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by airmiller44
    what weekend is the last weekend ?
    That would be next weekend, Labor Day weekend hence the not open on the last day of the long weekend which would be Monday.

Not to be jacking your thread Steve-O, but the title is kinda misleading. I thought you were talking about what happened last weekend.
    I was gonna start a Labor Day weekend thread anyway.
    Peace out, and see you for trail work on Sunday am at the hill.
    James
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    Well the good news is that there is at least talk of opening next season.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

That sounds awesome, the trail system is kind of an unplanned junk show. The mountain has such potential for all levels of riders, it just needs a good plan and better flow to the whole mountain. Anyone that thinks that creating beginner trails is a step in the wrong direction has know idea about running a or designing a real bike park. Bring in the families, first time mtbrs, and young kids and the money and the kind of trails we want will follow. I would love to come out and just hike the mountain after it's all closed Steve-O and try and visualize some trail. Let me know if you would like any help man, I could probably make a trip out this coming month.

mtbr member
    will be there sun, and prolly hit candy monday.
    another green run will be great, if they let us up a few weeks in advance. those take time and effort to make them easy. I'd prefer a single run all the way down rather than trying to tie different shortys together. just add some bail-out points. we all know how it goes, big plans are made and everyone gets pumped up, only to be left with blue-balls. just take it as it goes. happy shreddin'!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    By closing off some trails, did you mean closing off Yard Sale? I'm sure there will be a lot more flaming coming so I thought I'd just get the ball rolling.

AKA shitbird
    Yeah the closing of yardsale was a huge disappointment yesterday . Not only did it have a huge "trail closed" sign but the group of large pine trees that were cut down to block the trail was a nice touch.
    JRA

The .05 percent
    yard sale has really deteratied sp? into a big pile of S^&T. Kinda avoided since carrying a friend out with a broken tib fib. In my opinion no real loss there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj
    yard sale has really deteratied sp? into a big pile of S^&T. Kinda avoided since carrying a friend out with a broken tib fib. In my opinion no real loss there.
    Sorry to hear about your friend. this was a great trail tho. It was very technical to say the least. The way they closed it was retarded.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    Sorry to hear about your friend. this was a great trail tho. It was very technical to say the least. The way they closed it was retarded.

Wtf, they closed Yard Sale?

That trail got almost completely redone the first weekend of the season to make it the way it is...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Wtf, they closed Yard Sale?

That trail got almost completely redone the first weekend of the season to make it the way it is...
    Who's decision and why? I'm curious but not really surprised, non stop fall line just doesn't work in the long run, trail building is a lot more involved then just clearing a line. It takes a trained eye to see how to make a steep trail that doesn't get overly skidded and one that sheds water. It's really takes patience and experience, something I have noticed a lot of riders don't have.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    Who's decision and why? I'm curious but not really surprised, non stop fall line just doesn't work in the long run, trail building is a lot more involved then just clearing a line. It takes a trained eye to see how to make a steep trail that doesn't get overly skidded and one that sheds water. It's really takes patience and experience, something I have noticed a lot of riders don't have.
    Dude that whole trail is rideable by an experienced rider. inexperienced ones see really fast that they are outta their league and walk it. the way they closed it, by cutting down about ten or fifteen trees, is probably worse for the erosion and environment than a few skidding tires. only one riding weekend left so I dont care that much but it goes to show the "expertise" involved in the planning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Dude that whole trail is rideable by an experienced rider. inexperienced ones see really fast that they are outta their league and walk it. the way they closed it, by cutting down about ten or fifteen trees, is probably worse for the erosion and environment than a few skidding tires. only one riding weekend left so I dont care that much but it goes to show the "expertise" involved in the planning.
    I don't think I said anything about it being un-ridable? Did I? Just because we can get down it does not mean it was well built. Where else have you ridden? Have you been to Whistler? North Shore? The most experienced builders would never build anything like that. I think it's cool if the ski area management will except it, hell it's on a ski area where ski runs have been cleared but if management does not want a trail like that I wouldn't blame them either. Also the "expertise" can be seen in that whole trail system, it wasn't planned or really thought out. SBJ even said the trails were cut just to have something to ride, people were just jonesing to have some lift served runs. It makes sense that it would come together like that, kind of like Private Reserve in Flagstaff. It's all fall line, a lot of it holds because it's rock but the long straight areas like Femur Alley have had to be re-filled after heavy rain storms, not the kind of maintenance management wants to deal with when trying to have a large network of trails at a real bike park.

sixsixtysix

Yeah, that trail has been there for years, it was no worse for the wear than anytime before and was still totally ridable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, that trail has been there for years, it was no worse for the wear than anytime before and was still totally ridable.
    Does totally ridable = totally fun? How many people really wanted to do laps on Yard Sale? Be honest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I was at sunrise riding for my last time yesterday, all I can say is that I always enjoy riding the hill. I am more than willing to head up and help out anyway I can, and if while I am up there would like to hit up some candy. Just let me know if I can help at all.

AKA shitbird
    Does totally ridable = totally fun? How many people really wanted to do laps on Yard Sale? Be honest.

I enjoyed yard sail. Honestly.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Lap after lap? Thats what you want to ride? I like a good all out natural gnar trail also but Sunrise really lacks well built progressive type trails, sick flow, burmed turns and actual jumps with transitions for landings. What a concept huh? I love good DH but I haven't felt a need to go to Sunrise in 3 years after going to BC. IT COULD BE SICK! With the right creative trail builder but right, now it just isn't. Go to Canada and see what is there, it will change your mind forever on what is real quality flow.

mtbr member
    Lap after lap? Thats what you want to ride? I like a good all out natural gnar trail also but Sunrise really lacks well built progressive type trails, sick flow, burmed turns and actual jumps with transitions for landings. What a concept huh? I love good DH but I haven't felt a need to go to Sunrise in 3 years after going to BC. IT COULD BE SICK! With the right creative trail builder but right, now it just isn't. Go to Canada and see what is there, it will change your mind forever on what is real quality flow.
    Just moved to Tucson from CT, gonna hit up Sunrise this weekend cause im itching DH. Try diablo in NJ, or Plattekill in NY. Coming from there its been hard adjusting/accepting.
    RIDE ON.

Demo 9
    -888, Swinger, Saints, Eight Track, Cane Creek, Hayes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rocman1287
    Just moved to Tucson from CT, gonna hit up Sunrise this weekend cause im itching DH. Try diablo in NJ, or Plattekill in NY. Coming from there its been hard adjusting/accepting.
    Diablo? Sorry bro, don't expect too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    I agree. His bike really enjoyed yard sale.

mtbr member
    The call on Yard Sale being closed was managements call.....due to the fact that it was causing to much water damage at the bottom is how I was standing there when Bill said he wanted to close it...who cut the trees????not me!!!! I asked if the this would take place next season,so I guess that was my answer when I showed up on sunday to this TRAIL CLOSED "yes" I would do that run back to back a few times one of my fav's . for the most part its in pretty good shape, the bottom is a lill blown out thus creating to much water damage to the road....thats what was told to me....again,

on the GOOD note of trail building/maintaining....we build up the hipper at the bottom of Slipery Rock...nice, build up a nice big burmed turn just below mid lodge and befor cartoon forest...cant think of the name fer the trail, and everything eles is in pretty good shape.

Will be there Sunday fer the last trail work day 8-830 am in the parking lot
    and then monday at CANDY.....

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Closing trails and not really allowing anymore to be built...Hmm...BTW Sixty you were right about the fishy...13-14 runs with Yazzi and crew...OMG!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

AKA shitbird
    So you like BC better? Well.... no $hit... Why do people always feel a need to chime in about Canada and compare it to the riding here? It's obvious that Sunrise pales in comparison to BC riding (Sunrise also sucks compared to CO, NM, WA, Norcal, and the New England parks, and just about everything else), nobody is arguing that, so what's your point? Don't assume that the everyone riding Sunrise is clueless about what a trail with good flow is. The fact remains that a trip to BC isn't something that the typical AZ downhiller can just pick up and do on a weekend. So we ride what we have. We all realize that Sunrise could be better, it's a no brainer. BUT, people have tried to make it better and it's no gonna happen anytime soon.

And this lap after lap thing is exactly my point about closing yardsale. You're glad to see a trail go away???? Yesterday I was doing "lap after lap" on Slippery Rock and Sticks & Stones. And yeah after splitting 9 runs between those two, another option would be nice. Sunrise, as is, has enough options to keep the riding fresh for what, 2 hours? Then you've ridden EVERYTHING on the mountain. By closing yardsale all it did was limited riding options even more and removed the most challenging feature on the mountain. yaaay
    JRA

AKA shitbird
    The call on Yard Sale being closed was managements call.....due to the fact that it was causing to much water damage at the bottom is how I was standing there when Bill said he wanted to close it...who cut the trees????not me!!!! I asked if the this would take place next season,so I guess that was my answer when I showed up on sunday to this TRAIL CLOSED "yes" I would do that run back to back a few times one of my fav's . for the most part its in pretty good shape, the bottom is a lill blown out thus creating to much water damage to the road....thats what was told to me....again,

on the GOOD note of trail building/maintaining....we build up the hipper at the bottom of Slipery Rock...nice, build up a nice big burmed turn just below mid lodge and befor cartoon forest...cant think of the name fer the trail, and everything eles is in pretty good shape.

Will be there Sunday fer the last trail work day 8-830 am in the parking lot
    and then monday at CANDY.....
    That lil hipper you're talking about was a nice addition. Good work, thanks!
    JRA

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Closing trails and not really allowing anymore to be built...Hmm...BTW Sixty you were right about the fishy...13-14 runs with Yazzi and crew...OMG!

I am guessing your truck was thanking you too

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY

I am guessing your truck was thanking you too
    It thanked me a lot especially since we took Doo's instead.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    As far as the Yard Sale Closure goes, it sucks to have any trails closed. I was never really a fan of that trail from the get-go. Someone wanted to make a nasty a$$ fall line trail years ago and built it. I do believe it had been closed several years back, but just not in the manner they closed it now.
    Oh, well, I just chalk it up to another poor management decision by Sunrise. If they were really concerned with the erosion at the bottom of the trail where it spits out on the road, the exit could have been rerouted or improved. I think the real reason is the same as when they first closed that trail, they don't want people on that lower fire road for one reason or another.
    All I can do is work with what is left to us and hope for changes next year. For now we need to get stuff ready for the winter, add more dirt to the berms and booters, so it can sit and pack in over the next nine months (or longer if they decide not to open next year).

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    It thanked me a lot especially since we took Doo's instead.
    Whoa, is the world is coming to an end?

You guys even go over to Elden?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Whoa, is the world is coming to an end?

You guys even go over to Elden?
    Just might be! Na, we were having way too much fun and just kept pushing each other. Got home that night to find one side of my rear axle completely loose! The drive side kept it on.

banned
    There are progressive trails of the such right there in flag. They ain't on Mt. Elden

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thank you for chiming in James. I was extremely saddened to see it go; that whole run, Arrowhead-Yard Sale, was definitely one of the most difficult on the mountain and it is depressing to lose it.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by assgrinder
    Thank you for chiming in James. I was extremely saddened to see it go; that whole run, Arrowhead-Yard Sale, was definitely one of the most difficult on the mountain and it is depressing to lose it.
    We still have Arrowhead.....for now.
    Word from the meeting last Friday is that they want to reroute and make Arrowhead a green run.
    Unless they have a trailbuilding machine or money to rent one, I wish them the best of luck in that endeavor.

banned
    Do you think Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs will come down to help with the labor and film the hilarity that ensues?

mtbr member
    Anyone that thinks that creating beginner trails is a step in the wrong direction has know idea about running a or designing a real bike park.
    And you know this from how many years of experience running which park?
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    so will sunday be the last trail work day for the year up there?

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by IrSc
    so will sunday be the last trail work day for the year up there?
    Affirmative.

Members who have read this thread: 0