Downhill Spokesmodel

Sunrise last Sunday

Good times at Sunrise last Sunday.
    We built a new booter and berm coming out of Slippery Rock and onto the fireroad.

Steve-O on Slippery Rock

Corn Chip crashing on Slippery Rock

Stealth Chumba in the brush

I did however manage to smash my toes between a big rock and my pedal. Soon my big toenail will match my bike.

Hope to go back next weekend and build up a berm before the booter so you can hold more speed coming in.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

Shred...it's the new drug
    Great pics and nasty toe shot...just threw up in my mouth. yuck! I was thinking of you guys shredding the gnar while I was pulling pull tabs and eating sauerkraut.

mtbr member
    Right on! Good stuff James. I'll be there this Sat if you guys will be there.

Pivotal figure
    Diggin that jump to berm setup. Looks very similar to B-Line at NRA, but bigger (much more greenery too )
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Fly High!
    awesome! wheres those action shots on that sweet hipper?
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nice work! Looks like fun!

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Right on! Good stuff James. I'll be there this Sat if you guys will be there.
    Gotta work Sat. I hope to go up next Sun.
    Check with Joey @ Cactus he may lead a crew Sat.

mtbr member
    Nice work James. Y'all have put in good deal of work up there.

Man Kort and I had blast on Sunday at Sunrise Park Resort . We split from my house at little after 5:30 am blasted through Globe, AZ and hour and half later, and a little after 9:00 we arrived at the Sunrise’s parking lot.

We ended up jumping on at about 9:45. I don’t know what the true temperature was, but it must have been in the low 70’s and pretty stayed that was as some clouds moved in after our first run. Pretty comfy, compared to Phoenix.

What a screaming deal for only 20 bucks. This was my first time up here, so for our first run, Kort took me Fungi, to Upper Chutes and Ladders to Children’s Trail to Bonito. Which was a perfect match for my skill set and ambition. The trail flowed pretty well through the trees, and the upper portion didn’t have many drops, but the other sections had a handful. It was so nice to be rolling through trees again. We did pretty variations of this run a couple of more time before grabbing a bite to eat at the car around 12:00.
    Our first run after our brake took us down Chutes and Ladders. Oh man, the drops near the top were a handful for me due to the size and not setting up for them properly. I walked down couple of of ‘em, knowing I’d hit them up later. Once we came to the first cat track crossing, we continued down Sticks, and probably about 15 feet down the trail I hit a patch of gravel that acted like ball bearings. My front wheel shifted out from under me, then it feel off a drop with such force that I catapulted me down the trail about 15 feet. It was like I hit the ejector seat button, the way it launched me. I had a hard helmet to rock collision, as I flew like Superman. That really rung my bell, and luckily I had purchased a full faced helmet the day before. The scratches showed me what a benefit the full face protection added. I had rocks burrowed under my shin and elbow guards, that left me bleeding. But probably the most painful thing was my upper left bicep/shoulder was aching. I didn’t bash anything with it, but I think I just strained it while landing.

With my head spinning and the wind knocked out of me, I took my time rolling again. My shoulder was in pain, but I continued to ride. I just took it pretty easy by riding our first run of the day over and over. Kort and I knocked out 8 or 9 runs in before knocking off at 2:45.

We hit the road a little after 3:00, but we decided to head towards Payson instead of Globe for our return route. I think this was an easier drive, because I believe there are few more miles of multi lane highway. Even with all the traffic we managed to get home at 7:00.

Here's a vid of the day

A high res QuickTime version can be found here: Sunrise Park Resort 8/2/09
    Last edited by u2metoo; 08-04-2009 at 05:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Sam that looks like some great fun you and Kort were having up there .
    nice video , looks like its almost cold

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    Sam that looks like some great fun you and Kort were having up there .
    nice video , looks like its almost cold
    Thanks kelstr, yeah brrrrrrr

Sam, Nice Vid!!! Crazy euro trance electronica!!!! Now we just need to get kortster a full face. You really got me jonesin' for some sunrise ripping....arrrrrg.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Sam, Nice Vid!!! Crazy euro trance electronica!!!! Now we just need to get kortster a full face. You really got me jonesin' for some sunrise ripping....arrrrrg.

such a sweet sound........caught my self wanting to paint my face and start spinning with a glow stick tie'd to my...... whos got the E

one fine day fer sure, that hipper hits nice...will make it bigger as time goes should make for a nice poster shot when were done with her.

Hey u2 good seeing yall up on the hill, sweet vid.

One thing I learned from a friend is dont ride with yer keys...... AAA came to help, but man....... just meant we drank a lill more

be back up there on the 16th

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    Bob we need to go soon..... Where u pulling tabs and saurcraut at?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Pierz, MN at the Church Bazaar. Population 347. They had a quilt raffle and a cake walk. Lots of red neck farmers drinking pbr, playing bingo and eating pork hocks and saurkraut. Fun stuff!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    Nice work! Looks like fun!
    Yeah apart from the toe!

mtbr member
    Glad I had finished my pizza by the time I saw your rank arse foot. Although it did make me wish I had some parmegion.

Looks like great work up there. Big thanks to all that put blood and sweat into that mountain. I will be up there on Sat then back to the ranch to build. Maybe soem candy love too.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokenspokesSteve-o
    such a sweet sound........caught my self wanting to paint my face and start spinning with a glow stick tie'd to my...... whos got the E

one fine day fer sure, that hipper hits nice...will make it bigger as time goes should make for a nice poster shot when were done with her.

Hey u2 good seeing yall up on the hill, sweet vid.

One thing I learned from a friend is dont ride with yer keys...... AAA came to help, but man....... just meant we drank a lill more

be back up there on the 16th
    Uh yea, can't believe anyone would be such a retard... Thanks again, owe ya one

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    that new hip looks pretty sick, what trail is it off of?

I was just up there last saturday, and some of those trails dont look familiar at all, I have been up there before so I think I know my way around the mountian pretty well.
    Anyone know if there will be anymore races this season up there?

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by IrSc
    that new hip looks pretty sick, what trail is it off of?
    It is at the bottom of Slippery Rock, where the trail ends and sends you to the right and onto the fire road.

Quote Originally Posted by IrSc
    Anyone know if there will be anymore races this season up there?
    Check with the Smoken Spokes guys to be sure, but I do believe it is NO! since Sunrise wants $$$$$$ to let them run another race up there.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah i don't think they are gonna host anymore races until they wise up. The smoken spokes crew is working hard on other races for the gravity scene. Make sure they get the proper thanks when you see them!

mtbr member
    I heard Joe likes his butt patted with jelly, but that was Kavu talking so who knows.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

Members who have read this thread: 0