Sunrise- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sunrise

Bring the ruckus

Sunrise

I'm thinking about heading up to sunrise this weekend and wanted to know what trails I could ride my xc bike on? I don't have a downhill bike and I don't want to rent one. My bike does fine on all the singletrack I've been on so far, but I've never been to sunrise and don't know what to expect. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Eabos can tell ya. He has seen the trails up close or was it head first on the cat track road. Just messing dude. Later, flag this WE saturday.
    Last edited by helimech; 08-14-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    SHITBIRD

sixsixtysix
    You could probably do Fungus, maybe Arrowhead and the fire road. Beyond that I wouldn't think you would have much fun on a XC bike up there.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by stiffler
    I'm thinking about heading up to sunrise this weekend and wanted to know what trails I could ride my xc bike on? I don't have a downhill bike and I don't want to rent one. My bike does fine on all the singletrack I've been on so far, but I've never been to sunrise and don't know what to expect. Thanks.
    What singletrack so far?

Just off the cusp I would say mushroom(fungus) and the jeep road. All other trails will have some sort of drop/obstacle included. I would recommend some armor even if doing xc.

Bring the ruckus
    What are the rental DH bikes like there? How much are they going for?

mtbr member
    Call Catus bike they own the bikes but the Resort rents them.

Hey what kind of bike do you have?

sixsixtysix
    Cactus does do the rental bikes up there, the are Jamis Diablo's

mtbr member
    Here is a link to the prices posted on the Sunrise Park Resort site: http://www.sunriseskipark.com/bike.shtml
    Do what it takes to move through

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

sixsixtysix
    Just go gonzo and rent a Diggler!

Downhill Spokesmodel
    The other posters are correct on the fire road (also known as Summer Road) and Fungus being good choices for an XC bike. Depending on how much travel you have and your skill level you could ride most of the trails on the mountain, just be aware of the trail and if you don't think you can ride a drop or section, WALK IT. Bonito is a good trail, it starts on the right just below the midway lodge. Also there are great XC trails on the other side of the parking lot between the ski area and the campground. There is some deadfall on some of the trails, but they are still fun to ride.
    If you have access to armour (leg, arm, possibly upper body) it is definately recommended.
    I should be up there this weekend, so look me up if you need some assistance in choosing trails or just want some pointers. I ride a white Chumba Wumba and will be wearing a Chumba Wumba jersey. I am still not sure if I will take the Short bus (probably) or riding the Valkyrie and towing the trailer.
    Later,
    James
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    The first time I did Sunrise was on my XC bike. While it was great, the second time with a bigger bike and full armor took the fun factor up several notches (even for my sucky skill level).
    "Pour water in the tea pot and it becomes the tea pot. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake
    The first time I did Sunrise was on my XC bike. While it was great, the second time with a bigger bike and full armor took the fun factor up several notches (even for my sucky skill level).
    Are you taking your sucky skill level up there on the 25th?
    Looks like we're all heading to Sunrise next weekend.

mtbr member
    I've doen Sunrise on my old XC bike with all 2 inches of travel. It can be done and be a lot of fun. Moved up to 6 in of travel the next time & it was mo better. Now on the big hit it's down right groovey.

Hey James I have about 30+ ft more of chicken wire, and 5-10' of the other kind that you originaly wanted.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Dood! I can make it on the 25th. Already scheduled to be out there 8/23-27th.
    "Pour water in the tea pot and it becomes the tea pot. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Members who have read this thread: 0