Sunday preSwap Meet - Kiwanis\Holbert- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Sunday preSwap Meet - Kiwanis\Holbert

meet at the Little Ramada, FIP at 7:30. up Kiwanis, up the road, down Holbert. we might add in a quick lap on National to Telegraph and back to Holbert TH depending on time.

This ride will be technical with its share of HAB on Kiwanis, all are welcome but be ready to climb and be ready for some gnarly.

goal is to finish about 10 for the swap meet. Solid pace, but still time to session. looks like me, Chongoman, Gangi, maybe U2metoo so far.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    I hope to have my new wheels ready to be dinged up on this ride.
    See you there.

mr. wonderful
    That's a great ride. Kiwanis is a LOT more ridable up than you would think. Fun, if you like tech climbing

We usually start at the big-ass-parking-lot (BAPL) and catch the trail over to the drive up to the Kiwanis TH. This way, the trail past the pit at the bottom of Holberts leads right back to the cars

Have fun, our route is slightly different, but I'm thinking our paths may cross somewhere around Telegraph Pass

slow uphill
    I don't know SoMo at all - only "rode" down Geronimo.

How is the Kiwanis climb for an XC bike (4" front and back) and a rider with not-quite-intermediate skills? I saw it listed as one of the harder trails in the "Progressive list..." thread, but assume that is going down.

I might be interested in hitting the climb with you guys, then bailing to spur off to National coming back on Mormon and using streets to get back to the car. Not sure if that would work though - I haven't been down Mormon, and if it is harder than Geronimo I might be biting off a bit much.

I just don't want to show up and then take forever on the trail, especially if you're going down Holbert and I'm not rocking a DH rig (and skills).

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    That's a great ride. Kiwanis is a LOT more ridable up than you would think. Fun, if you like tech climbing

We usually start at the big-ass-parking-lot (BAPL) and catch the trail over to the drive up to the Kiwanis TH. This way, the trail past the pit at the bottom of Holberts leads right back to the cars

Have fun, our route is slightly different, but I'm thinking our paths may cross somewhere around Telegraph Pass
    never done, I think it was you guys who planted the seed in Chongo and my head. Kinda hoping we'd lure you out with this post . I'm figuring Kiwanis will be about the same effort as 24th St.?

I like your parking suggestion - less road riding, more time to hit National. So...meet in the Big Lot, not the Little Ramada, fip 7:30

we'll see you out there!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    I don't know SoMo at all - only "rode" down Geronimo.

How is the Kiwanis climb for an XC bike (4" front and back) and a rider with not-quite-intermediate skills? I saw it listed as one of the harder trails in the "Progressive list..." thread, but assume that is going down.

I might be interested in hitting the climb with you guys, then bailing to spur off to National coming back on Mormon and using streets to get back to the car. Not sure if that would work though - I haven't been down Mormon, and if it is harder than Geronimo I might be biting off a bit much.

I just don't want to show up and then take forever on the trail, especially if you're going down Holbert and I'm not rocking a DH rig (and skills).
    My hunch is Kiwanis will offer some pros and cons on a 4inch, but I've only descended it once so cant say.

Mormon loop is easier than Geronimo. Mormon trail (24th St.) is harder - doable on a 4inch but it would not be my choice. I think most of us will be on 6inch bikes.

EDR
    Hey cholla; I rode down Holbert for the first time Friday. What a chunk-fest that was. Ended up walking a few times. The real kicker is we got to the bottom and turned around and rode/hiked BACK UP! That was (not) exceptionally fun.

I gotta see the Cards kick some Bear ass Sunday or I'd come out for this mess.

Edit: come to think of it I could maybe be home by 10am....hmmm, I'll think about this some more. How much road riding? I'm not a big fan of RR'ing, as you could guess by our decision to go back up Holbert, lol.

-Jamie

My other ride is your mom
    orangedog....are you thinking morman loop, or morman trail (24th st)? I might be up for a climb fest with the rest and doing an alternate (less gnar) descent as you suggest

slow uphill
    hey - a less gnar group would be cool.

probably mormon loop, since mormon trail is "harder than Geronimo" - not to say I couldn't work my way down that if a group preferred.

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    I'm figuring Kiwanis will be about the same effort as 24th St.?
    more bike, less hike, more thrills, fewer spills

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Hey cholla; I rode down Holbert for the first time Friday. What a chunk-fest that was. Ended up walking a few times. The real kicker is we got to the bottom and turned around and rode/hiked BACK UP! That was (not) exceptionally fun.

I gotta see the Cards kick some Bear ass Sunday or I'd come out for this mess.

Edit: come to think of it I could maybe be home by 10am....hmmm, I'll think about this some more. How much road riding? I'm not a big fan of RR'ing, as you could guess by our decision to go back up Holbert, lol.

-Jamie
    the only road would be from Kiwanis (at Telegraph pass) about ~10 min to the Holbert TH. Its steep, but no biggie.

OrangeDog and Maad - If you take Mormon you will end up like 8? road miles from the swap meet. I would not do Holbert if you are not confident on Geronimo, but maybe National out to Ranger and down. Or back down Geronimo - it lets you out at 20th street which is not so bad.

Orange: I could do up Kiwanis, east on Natty, descend Geronimo.....or Ranger....PM to discuss.

slow uphill
    I'd be up to go down Ranger (new to me) or Geronimo. PM sent...

Kathleen in AZ
    meet at the Little Ramada, FIP at 7:30. up Kiwanis, up the road, down Holbert. we might add in a quick lap on National to Telegraph and back to Holbert TH depending on time.

This ride will be technical with its share of HAB on Kiwanis, all are welcome but be ready to climb and be ready for some gnarly.

goal is to finish about 10 for the swap meet. Solid pace, but still time to session. looks like me, Chongoman, Gangi, maybe U2metoo so far.
    I'm torn between shuttling and pedaling that morning before the swap meet. I *should* pedal since I need saddle time for FOTP training. If I do join you I'd be game for going up 2x with 2nd ascent on the road. Holbert on one of my Lenzes might be really fun after spending the last few months ripping that trail on the DH bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I'm torn between shuttling and pedaling that morning before the swap meet. I *should* pedal since I need saddle time for FOTP training. If I do join you I'd be game for going up 2x with 2nd ascent on the road. Holbert on one of my Lenzes might be really fun after spending the last few months ripping that trail on the DH bike.
    Do it!!

parenting for gnarness
    I think the crew we will have would be game for just about anything. let's see how we feel after the first climb up. Would be fun to hit Holbert 2x and get dialed in more, since I've only done it once. Hope to see you!

Dave
    This is starting to sound like fun I might have to ditch the idea of driving my 1957 to the swap meet and bring my other car with the DosNiner and join u guys/gals.
    Gals is plural because if KK goes that's one and if Jason shows up in girl shorts, well that's kind of two. So there ya go = gals.

I can pick my way down on my massive 80mm of travel bike
    I need to ride more and work less.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    and if Jason shows up in girl shorts, well that's kind of two.
    best $20 I ever spent.

Dave...it looks like we have a group up for the same climb as everyone else, but a less gnar descent than the others. I'll fill you in tomorrow on the drive up north.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Dave...it looks like we have a group up for the same climb as everyone else, but a less gnar descent than the others. I'll fill you in tomorrow on the drive up north.
    OK man. I hope to make it out for this...we'll see if I get any **** from the SO

I'll see around 6:45am at 19th and UnionHills. I got a flat ghetto to fix tonight and a 6pack-o-beer to take of. If I'm late at all tomorrow I'll call ya. I should be leaving my house around 6ish.

later
    I need to ride more and work less.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    I might go on this ride if you don't mind, I shouldn't be holding up anyone. I'd like to do the swap meet. What exactly is the big lot?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    I might go on this ride if you don't mind, I shouldn't be holding up anyone. I'd like to do the swap meet. What exactly is the big lot?
    absolutely! I'm sure you'll be welcome in either "group".

big lot is off to your left when you come in via the Central Ave entrance, past the guard shack, at the base of the mtn. Seriously, its a BAFL - you can't miss it. I think signs to the Environmental Center will take you towards it.

I don't believe we've met, or if you know any of the others who have chimed in? Look for some mtbrs strapping on armor - I will be driving a black acura TSX and riding a blue Heckler. Chongo will be on a gold El Guapo, Gangi on a green 6 point, and Maad on a blue Mach 5.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    thanks chollaball, yah, I"ve only met the ubiquitous chongoman in that group.

slow uphill
    ...and Maad on a blue Mach 5.
    Maad - I didn't realize you had such great tastes in bikes. I'll be on a silver Mach 429. Plus I'm easy to spot at 6'8".

the group ride is meeting at the big lot and the swap meet is at the little ramada, right?

Lets meet for the less gnar ride at the same time as the more GNAR ride....FIP, 730....in the same lot.

slow uphill
    ten four

mtbr member
    Think I'd like to tag along on one of these rides. Still FIP at 7:30?

Fragile - must be Italian
    absolutely! I'm sure you'll be welcome in either "group".

big lot is off to your left when you come in via the Central Ave entrance, past the guard shack, at the base of the mtn. Seriously, its a BAFL - you can't miss it. I think signs to the Environmental Center will take you towards it.

I don't believe we've met, or if you know any of the others who have chimed in? Look for some mtbrs strapping on armor - I will be driving a black acura TSX and riding a blue Heckler. Chongo will be on a gold El Guapo, Gangi on a green 6 point, and Maad on a blue Mach 5.
    Check. I'll be there on a green IronHorse 6point, most likely wearing a sleeveless jersey. I drive a bright silver Chevy Tahoe.

Thx...Doug

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Check. I'll be there on a green IronHorse 6point, most likely wearing a sleeveless jersey. I drive a bright silver Chevy Tahoe.

Thx...Doug
    and look like a mini American Gladiator...

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    chongoman is that a new bike? Did you ditch the ol' stinky?

and look like a mini American Gladiator...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    chongoman is that a new bike? Did you ditch the ol' stinky?
    Yes it is! Stinky is for sale/trade at the Swap meet.

mtbr member
    Not in.

Kathleen in AZ
    In.

I'm out on the pre-ride....hurt my wing this afternoon in Prescott.....have trouble lifting much with my right arm....so the HAB up Kiwanis is a no-go. I will, however, still be at the swap with my stuff.

mtbr member
    In.
    Woo Hoo!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I'm out on the pre-ride....hurt my wing this afternoon in Prescott.....have trouble lifting much with my right arm....so the HAB up Kiwanis is a no-go. I will, however, still be at the swap with my stuff.
    you are welcome to a ride home, if the keg calls to you.

Members who have read this thread: 0