Suggestions needed: XC elbow pads and other protection- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Suggestions needed: XC elbow pads and other protection

I had what would have been a fairly mild crash a week ago except for the fact that my elbow landed on a rock and I ended up with 24 stitches. I've missed out on a lot of riding because of it so I am looking for gear to help prevent this from happening again. I am looking for lighter XC gear as I only ride Santan MTN, SoMo (Desert Classic only) and Hawes. The majority of my injuries to date have been to the elbows, hips and knees. I am not too worried about knee protection because I think it would be more of an annoyance to wear than not but I would like to get some elbow pads. So far I have narrowed the search down to 661 Rythm and G-form elbow pads. Anyone have experience with either product or can you recommend another brand/model? Are there lightweight warm weather jerseys that have elbow protection built into them? What other gear should I get? Right now I ride with what I would consider the min in AZ (helmet, bike shorts, full finger gloves). Thank you for your help!
    Killing it with close inspection.

Shred...it's the new drug
    I can highly recommend the G-form pads. I use them for all riding now...AM and DH. I've crashed a couple hard times directly to the elbow and the G-forms held up great. scrapes and bruises above and below the protection but none underneath. Surely would've needed stitches with these scrapes.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I had what would have been a fairly mild crash a week ago except for the fact that my elbow landed on a rock and I ended up with 24 stitches. I've missed out on a lot of riding because of it so I am looking for gear to help prevent this from happening again. I am looking for lighter XC gear as I only ride Santan MTN, SoMo (Desert Classic only) and Hawes. The majority of my injuries to date have been to the elbows, hips and knees. I am not too worried about knee protection because I think it would be more of an annoyance to wear than not but I would like to get some elbow pads. So far I have narrowed the search down to 661 Rythm and G-form elbow pads. Anyone have experience with either product or can you recommend another brand/model? Are there lightweight warm weather jerseys that have elbow protection built into them? What other gear should I get? Right now I ride with what I would consider the min in AZ (helmet, bike shorts, full finger gloves). Thank you for your help!
    i've never used Gform, but heard many good things about em. will be my next pair of elbows. They are not too expensive for elbows or knees compared to other popular models. My knee pads only last a year or 2 so I've been doing the 661 kyle straits which are seem a little more durable, but i'll prolly take a roll on the gform knees too.

Whatver you get, just buy it and accept the money. If you resell and lose a little money, think of it as an investment in your safety. Realistically, for $100 on most brands, you can have a couple good falls and still come out ok - that is money well spent.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    I've been using the Troy Lee ones linked below. They are a bit warm for summer, but they stay in place well and have good amount of protection for the forearm too.

Troy Lee Designs EG 5550 Elbow/Forearm Guards (Pair)

ben

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by armourbl View Post
    I've been using the Troy Lee ones linked below. They are a bit warm for summer, but they stay in place well and have good amount of protection for the forearm too.

ben
    +1 These are my favorites; I even use then for full DH. They are very breathable, and protect the area I always seem to hurt when going down hard, my forearms.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

ben
    I didn't even see those while researching. Do you know if anyone sells them locally?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I didn't even see those while researching. Do you know if anyone sells them locally?
    Have't found anyone locally that has them in stock. That online store has a good return policy.

The are tough to get on, but that helps them stay in place really well. I wear them on top of my long sleve Under Armor shirt.

ben

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    I can highly recommend the G-form pads. I use them for all riding now...AM and DH. I've crashed a couple hard times directly to the elbow and the G-forms held up great. scrapes and bruises above and below the protection but none underneath. Surely would've needed stitches with these scrapes.
    I am leaning towards the G-form because they look like they would be comfortable for summer riding. How are they as far as ventilation and shedding sweat goes? How good is the fit? Do they slide up/down on the arms or bunch up?

Huffy Rider
    I use G-forms, love em. They are comfy in the heat, they breathe well, they do not slide if they fit you properly, ie tight. I get no bunching, mine fit great. My only complaint is they are black, in the sun it attracts heat just like black shorts would.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks everyone for your input. I went with the G-form pads as a local shop had them in stock. Their coverage is limited but they are so light and thin that you forget you even have them on. Perfect for XC riding and the AZ heat.

skilldest©
    May I ask what shop had them?

No Clue Crew

ben
    Never ride without my 5550s and Kyle Straits. I've taken 3 or 4 nasty falls on my elbows where they hurt BAD and still got some rash on them from the pads. I can't imagine what would have happened had I not been wearing them.

skilldest©
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Never ride without my 5550s and Kyle Straits. I've taken 3 or 4 nasty falls on my elbows where they hurt BAD and still got some rash on them from the pads. I can't imagine what would have happened had I not been wearing them.
    or 10 or 20

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by _dragon View Post
    May I ask what shop had them?
    South Mountain Cycle has them. They also have the other G-form pads in stock (Knee, shin etc)

Members who have read this thread: 0