mtbr member

Successful pro riders from Arizona?

I haven't lived in AZ too long, so I'm not very familiar with its MTB history, but it seems like AZ would be a good place to grow up on a bike.

Has AZ ever produced a well-known (nationally or internationally) MTB pro rider? Mostly curious about DH riders, but wondered about XC riders, too.

Edit: also would be curious to know names of any pros who train in AZ, regardless of whether they grew up here. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickhall View Post
    I haven't lived in AZ too long, so I'm not very familiar with its MTB history, but it seems like AZ would be a good place to grow up on a bike.

Has AZ ever produced a well-known (nationally or internationally) MTB pro rider? Mostly curious about DH riders, but wondered about XC riders, too.

Edit: also would be curious to know names of any pros who train in AZ, regardless of whether they grew up here. Thanks
    I believe Art Vandelay is from the Globe-Miami area.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I believe Art Vandelay is from the Globe-Miami area.
    Who knew Carrot Top posts on mtbr and goes by the name "Casual Observer?"

mtbr member
    You'll find pros from all over the world training in tucson during the winter. A lot of teams have training camps there. The weather and Mount Lemon are a big draw.

My other ride is your mom
    Sure, I know a few in Flagstaff...my good friend Dara Marks-Marino is one who even grew up in the valley.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Melissa Buhl was a world cup level downhill and 4-cross racer. She is from the Valley. She might still live in Chandler. I have not seen her around in awhile.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Who knew Carrot Top posts on mtbr and goes by the name "Casual Observer?"
    I can count the number of a professional rider (any pro rider, not necessarily from AZ) on one finger. Guess which one? (I'll give you a hint: it's the middle one.)

My other ride is your mom
    ^^^someone is having a case of the Mundays....

mtbr member

Every mountain bike racer is a pro. Just ask em

But the answer is lots. Of the top of my head, Carl Tobin trained in Flagstaff and won nationals one year and before ultra-marathon racing was popular either won or came in 2nd or 3rd in the Iditabike going back to the late 80s.

Kim Sonier kicked A$$ in DH racing. Can't remember all her successes besides coming in 2nd twice at the World Championships but she took on the best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYP0Mn78CKE

Fig Naughton won the first X games back in 1995. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkVUw0jdQU
    He recently won the legacy Kamikazee DH race in Mammoth.

Golden Brainerd lived and trained in Flagstaff in the late 90s and early 2000s. Mountain Bike World Championship Results - USA Cycling

Joe Murray won a gazillion races in the early days and is in the mountain bike hall of fame.

That's just scratching the surface and only the folks I know personally.

mtbr member
    Fig Naughton's buddy Phillip Tintsman used to race MTB's and race downhill. I think he won the winter X-games downhill MTB race on snow?

He is currently racing on the road, or was up until two years ago.

He was on our team (TNT) waaaay back long long ago and far far away. (Conejo days )
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Chloe Woodruff lives in Prescott now and is on the US Olympic Team. Shows she is from Denver though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    ^^^someone is having a case of the Mundays....
    I get irritable any time I can see my breath. (Also, on days that end in Y.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I get irritable any time I can see my breath. (Also, on days that end in Y.)
    You're in for a rough month, honey.

As for pro bike riders, that's about as relevant to me as how many pro stick and ball people come from here. Maybe just a hair more, as some might be sanitizers.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    As for pro bike riders, that's about as relevant to me as how many pro stick and ball people come from here.
    Mrwhlr, a guy who has spent the last 10 years of his life trolling this forum with useless garbage, now complaining that a topic isn't relevant to him...Almost as funny as Carrot Top's middle-finger comebacks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Every mountain bike racer is a pro. Just ask em

But the answer is lots. Of the top of my head, Carl Tobin trained in Flagstaff and won nationals one year and before ultra-marathon racing was popular either won or came in 2nd or 3rd in the Iditabike going back to the late 80s.

Kim Sonier kicked A$$ in DH racing. Can't remember all her successes besides coming in 2nd twice at the World Championships but she took on the best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYP0Mn78CKE

Fig Naughton won the first X games back in 1995. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxkVUw0jdQU
    He recently won the legacy Kamikazee DH race in Mammoth.

Golden Brainerd lived and trained in Flagstaff in the late 90s and early 2000s. Mountain Bike World Championship Results - USA Cycling

Joe Murray won a gazillion races in the early days and is in the mountain bike hall of fame.

That's just scratching the surface and only the folks I know personally.
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Fig is still freaking sick today. He just crushed it with a first place finish at the Legends race at Mammoth this past summer. He beat Shaun Palmer and many others.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Fig is still freaking sick today. He just crushed it with a first place finish at the Legends race at Mammoth this past summer. He beat Shaun Palmer and many others.
    hahahaha....I bet that "pizzalm" tattoo is a bit wider these days.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

I $uck, but MY BIKE Rules

Buhl...

Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    Melissa Buhl was a world cup level downhill and 4-cross racer. She is from the Valley. She might still live in Chandler. I have not seen her around in awhile.
    Buhl used to be a regular on the "Short Bus". If I'm not mistaken, Buhl was mentioned in a recent MTBAction magazine, stated to be living in Nor-Cal (w/husband?) and was thinking about returning to the sport.
    Mountain Bike Action Magazine | Photo of the Day: Melissa Buhl
    I Hate when the trail trips my bike!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    .downhillfaster.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    While originally from Canada, Jackie Harmony, now a Tucsonan and her husband, Dante( A Native Tucsonan I think, raced the national Dh circuit as well as many World Cup races.
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA