Strawberry / Peyson area Trails???- Mtbr.com
    wretch

Strawberry / Peyson area Trails???

Im being taken to experience the glorified ridiculous "car camping" in the area, close to Fossil Springs. I aim to bring the bike, as I find it a lot more entertaining than hiking. . .does anyone know of anything in the area. Ive never been, I know nothing. . . as usual. . .

Cheers

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I once rode the Houston Mesa loop (followed Cosmic Ray's book) somehow got lost nearing night with no lights. Not even sure if those trails are still there. Seemed like more of a moto trail.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Im being taken to experience the glorified ridiculous "car camping" in the area, close to Fossil Springs. I aim to bring the bike, as I find it a lot more entertaining than hiking. . .does anyone know of anything in the area. Ive never been, I know nothing. . . as usual. . .

Cheers
    Ahhhhhh... I need to go to Fossil Springs again, very soon. That place is one of my fav spots in AZ.

Are you sure you want to mountain bike? Just stay down at Fossil for a few days

wretch
    Wow that looks beautiful, but yea Im pretty sure I still want to bring the bike. . .

wretch
    Strawberry Mountain loop is what ive got a map of now, anyone ridden it?

parenting for gnarness
    Fossil Springs is a lot of fun. Its not that hard to go down and back repeatedly, only a couple miles each way. Its a slow road back to Payson, even though not much mileage.

The Houston Mesa loops I rode a few years ago. I wandered around without a route, there are probably better routes through it - it was mostly quad tracks along the rim, so hard climbs and descents looped together. Its fairly exposed to the sun.

I also rode out the jeep roads at the end of the pavement on Houston Mesa, up to Diamond Point (i think...) and then some jeep roads down. Fun, but more bike touring not mtb'ing.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Strawberry Mountain Loop

I have done the Strawberry Mountain Loop a couple of times because I have a cabin in Pine. It doesn't have a lot of singletrack but is probably the best ride/workout in the immediate Pine/Strawberry area. Unfortunately, a lot more road riding and ATVs than most mountain bike rides.

Starting from Fossil Springs trailhead, head east on Fossil Springs Road thru Strawberry to the intersection with Highway 87. Head south on 87 almost to the top of the saddle between Strawberry and Pine and look for a obvious trailhead on the right. Take the Pine-Strawberry Trail southwest until it intersects with Hardscrabble Road. I hike-a-bike a lot of the initial part of this trail until it gets into more level terrain. Climb Hardscrabble Road for a very long ways until you get to the top of Hardscrabble Mesa and continue riding the less well maintained Forest Service version of the road until you rejoin Fossil Springs Road on the west side of Strawberry.

Members who have read this thread: 0