STRAVA is killing my motivation, more STRAVA rants- Mtbr.com
    Give it a crank

STRAVA is killing my motivation, more STRAVA rants

My rides have gotten so slow, STRAVA thinks I went for a run. That just kills my motivation.

At the same time, other riders go for a recovery ride and get KOM, QOM, WFTOM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What are your goals in cycling? Have fun, get faster, racing? There's a lot more to the sport than a KOM. There are some other nice features of strava where you can set goals such as hours/miles per week, climbing, etc. If getting faster is a goal, there are methods to accomplish that. Some more structured rides, for example. If you want to do some racing AES is a wonderful place to start, IMO and will give you something to train for where finishing is an accomplishment and speed just icing. Everyone has different goals and some Strava KOMs are the only goal. For me, Strava can provide some motivation when I may be lacking but certainly not a driving factor in my enjoyment of the sport.

Ahhh the pain....
    Gill, the great thing about Strava is that very, very soon, it will provide you motivation. My last ride with "floxy" above, he was recording the ride on his phone and it talked to him throughout the ride...it's only a matter of time before it yells at you and tells you to pick up the pace or 65 year old hikers are going to catch up to you.
    I can't wait for strava to tell me I'm slower than a pound of bacon.

No Clue Crew
    Don't ever worry about what someone else is doing. I pay attention only to my achievements. If I cared about the people that are 200 - 400 positions ahead of me for a section I'd quit riding. I'll never come even remotely close to what others to. As an example, Kenny Bennet posted a Strava time of something like 38 minutes climbing from Pima to Buena Vista. It took me 36 minutes to make it to the first "resting" spot up National right before that last real climb. That's maybe 1/4 of the way Kenny went in the same amount of time. AND, Kenny likely cleared all the obstacles I walked.

Worrying about other people is senseless. I figure as long as I'm setting a PR every couple or three times I ride a trail I'm doing fine. And I'm not worried about my slowing times as it heats up.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    ^Good words^

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have nothing positive to contribute on this topic.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, that run was one of those once a year efforts for me. It is amazing just how fast you can ride some long sections if you really dig hard but I aint gonna lie, that ride tanked me! Barely had anything for the descent, which kinda makes it like doing reverse shuttles Sessioning is WAY more fun. But I'm still gonna go fast from time to time
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Don't ever worry about what someone else is doing. I pay attention only to my achievements. If I cared about the people that are 200 - 400 positions ahead of me for a section I'd quit riding. I'll never come even remotely close to what others to. As an example, Kenny Bennet posted a Strava time of something like 38 minutes climbing from Pima to Buena Vista. It took me 36 minutes to make it to the first "resting" spot up National right before that last real climb. That's maybe 1/4 of the way Kenny went in the same amount of time. AND, Kenny likely cleared all the obstacles I walked.

Worrying about other people is senseless. I figure as long as I'm setting a PR every couple or three times I ride a trail I'm doing fine. And I'm not worried about my slowing times as it heats up.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Gill, the great thing about Strava is that very, very soon, it will provide you motivation. My last ride with "floxy" above, he was recording the ride on his phone and it talked to him throughout the ride...it's only a matter of time before it yells at you and tells you to pick up the pace or 65 year old hikers are going to catch up to you.
    back when i had a TomTom, i bought the Snoop Dogg voice, the Homer Simpson Voice, and the Clint Eastwood voice. it was ****ing party to pull up to my destination my niggah, do ya feel me bra? Does strava have that? I want Dave Chapelle doing Lil Jon for my voice.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Strava is good for 2 things. Logging miles and exploring segments. I have been on a few rides that I would have never known about if it wasn't for Strava.

mtbr member

Re: STRAVA is killing my motivation, more STRAVA rants

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I heard this is the guy doing the new voice over for strava

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Yeah, that run was one of those once a year efforts for me. It is amazing just how fast you can ride some long sections if you really dig hard but I aint gonna lie, that ride tanked me!
    That is certainly a fact and attitude plays a lot in it. A couple months back we were riding some of T100 with a small group. This particular segment is Mini Hell Climb on the way back from Cave Creek to 7th St. It's a short, loose climb that I've ridden hundreds of times. I know I'll make it and I know how long it is. So I turn a higher gear and push hard 'cause I know it won't last long. I outpaced the group and when we got to the top someone said something about me being a machine. I was like, "not a chance. I just know the trail well and where to push."

In contrast, National is gonna own me every day and I know it. With the amount of time I can dedicate to riding I honestly don't see a time when I'll ever feel good about National. I ride it because it's a challenge but I'm always defeated before I even start. A successful ride up and down National is one where my bike and my body are still fully functional when I return to Pima.

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit View Post
    Sessioning is WAY more fun. But I'm still gonna go fast from time to time
    Yes, it is And if I could go fast I'd do it, too...

But, back to the topic, one thing that is hard to do is to NOT redline yourself. That means anything tough I'm walking 'cause everything redlines me. I think that's the nature of what we do. As we get better/stronger/faster we still redline ourselves so we aren't really making anything easier. We are just doing it quicker and in taller gears.

EDIT: Sorry, that's not the topic. Thought I was posting in the Heat Kills Motivation thread...

Give it a crank
    Good stuff, lots of good things to say about STRAVA but there's just nothing like a good rant when you see your speeds and distances go down over time. In the end, it's telling you "you're over the f-ing hill you wimp."

Meatbomb
    I'm so slow Strava just points and laughs at me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    My rides have gotten so slow, STRAVA thinks I went for a run. That just kills my motivation..
    That happend to me yesterday. I loaded up my BCT Rock Springs/Little Pan Loop ride and the next thing I know I see my running shoes on there. I quickly changed to Mtn Bike, but really... Then again I did that ride at what is for me a pavement running pace. Oh well, I guess that means my run pace is getting better.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Just leave all the distractions (gps, phone, camera, ipod) behind on the next few rides

Kathleen in AZ
    Me too this weekend... My National ride was logged by Strava as a Run. I'm facing two surgeries (lady stuff and another new hip) thru the summer so my riding days are numbered for 2104. I'm just glad to get out there while I can!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    I have nothing positive to contribute on this topic.
    Do you ever?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Some aspects of what make mountain biking awesome may be becoming lost with all of this competitive Strava stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I wish they would reset strava every once in a while. I noticed one time that my phone GPS wasn't tracking correctly and it gave me a decent KOM. There is one trail that I used to try really hard to get the best KOM. The best I could do was 9th place. I was in the 9 minute range and everyone from 3rd and higher was at least 9 minutes but the first two spots were in the 7 minute range. I don't doubt that someone can do this run in 7 minutes but I was one of the first people to use strava on this new trail and the first two positions were already there.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Do you ever?
    Doh! You got me again. I lied. There is this:

DigitalEPO.com

mtbr member
    you know guys if you upload your stuff using a garmin, you get to choose ride vs run... just saying

mtbr member
    Some aspects of what make mountain biking awesome may be becoming lost with all of this competitive Strava stuff.
    Why... if you don't like Strava... don't use it. For me it makes me ride harder and faster because there is some evidence of that after. I enjoy mtn biking more because if it. The times I don't want to ride as hard or fast my times will be slower. I am fine with that.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", 19' Vassago Optimus Ti SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Im a very inconsistent rider... some days my motivation/energy levels suck and some days I feel like Ive been mainlined with meth... I like that strava records all of this.. it's interesting to look at the results...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    ... I was in the 9 minute range and everyone from 3rd and higher was at least 9 minutes but the first two spots were in the 7 minute range. I don't doubt that someone can do this run in 7 minutes but I was one of the first people to use strava on this new trail and the first two positions were already there.
    You would be surprised what people can do. The only time a person's performance has irritated me when is clearly wrong. Mostly people forget to turn off the GPS for the car ride home and set a number KOM's along the way. Those are easy to spot and flag to Strava and they will fix them. In the end however some guys are just fast. Raybum's best time on BCT - Rock Springs Little Pan loops is 2:30 min or so. My best is 3:30 or so... Yeah he is 1 HOUR faster than me and 13 min faster than then next guy... Crazy stuff, but entirely possible when a very strong rider goes 100% for that long. My best is a respectable 31 of 154.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    Im a very inconsistent rider... some days my motivation/energy levels suck and some days I feel like Ive been mainlined with meth... I like that strava records all of this.. it's interesting to look at the results...
    There are many rides I do in evenings where I plan on just taking it easy since I don't feel on. Yet in 15 min I am raring to go and start pushing it again. Plus is nice to know that while that last climb seem to suck the life out of you the reason it felt so bad was you were setting a PR in the process. Or for the gravity types... That day you really felt "one" with trail and feel like you just nailed everything you can see it in the times.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Why... if you don't like Strava... don't use it. For me it makes me ride harder and faster because there is some evidence of that after. I enjoy mtn biking more because if it. The times I don't want to ride as hard or fast my times will be slower. I am fine with that.
    I didn't say I hate it. I just think it's an interesting idea that some aspects of have changed because of it. Some are good and others maybe not so much. I don't use it.

I have been riding since the late 80's, it was an escape for me. The bikes sucked then and it was really just a fun way to get out into the woods of northern New Jersey. I love escaping the realities of the world we live in today. It's therapy and it gives us a time to downshift and decompress a little. It sort of seems like this Strava stuff takes away from that a little and brings in the hustle and bustle mentality into it all. I guess I'm just not like a lot of riders in that once things are overly competitive, timed, and raced it makes an activity I would normally think as fun into something more like work.

I'm not saying that it's bad but it's an interesting idea and a fun discussion.

mtbr member
    ...It sort of seems like this Strava stuff takes away from that a little and brings in the hustle and bustle mentality into it all. I guess I'm just not like a lot of riders...
    I can see how people may not like Strava. However nobody is forcing you use it and if you don't like it don't use it. I don't see how my using Strava is going to impact your riding. I still treat others on the trail the same way I would if I was recording the ride or not. Those that don't were probably a-holes anyway would have a different excuse for being like that. On group rides.... it is a group ride so you ride with the group even it that mean a slower strava time. The only change to my group riding is that I tend to try to finish a segment an regroup than to stop in the middle of one if possible. If it does not work that way given the group dynamics then so be it as I am not going to piss off rider I riding with just for Strava.
    Joe

mtbr member
    I think anyone can flag a segment that they have ridden as dangerous. There was a guy flagging segments in my corner of Tucson for a bit but he gave up. Most top 10 times are from the past year.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i never quite grasped the whole excitement behind competitiveness. given the terrain out here, i get more satisfaction out of trying to clear an individual obstacle that had been forever getting the best of me, rather than trying to complete a whole section in a faster time. besides, faster just takes off more skin

meow
    Once it starts getting above 90 my rides really slow down cuz I totally overheat, especially on climbs with the sun burning a hole in my helmet. Initially it was a bummer to check Strava segments and see what a poky ass I was, and now I just accept it and know that I'll get back to regular form in the fall. Just keep riding and keep your fitness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Maybe I'm old and grumpy or maybe it's more like I'm just slow and lazy and too afraid to find out how much I suck!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You yourself make it competitive in the end. With me, I'm just happy to be out, whether it's too push a segment time (against a buddy, pro, or myself) overall distance, mapping, or a remember a particular ride. Even from the first logged ride, I can pick any day in the last 2 years and remember it too a tee, the heart rate, tired legs or whatever scenario I ran into that day. That aspect I really enjoy and in the end, why I use personally use Strava. I also use to be fat (245 lbs, now 170lbs), with most of my weight loss coming from riding my *expensive* 1200 dollar FS GT sensor, and didn't discover strava till I got a non 36lb performance slug. I think back and wonder what times I rode back then and wish I could have recorded every ride, whether I was slow or fat. Hell, 2 years ago I couldn't ride 3 miles without stopping, now my longest ride is well over 100 miles.

I've also been using the gear part of Strava to trend how long tires and certain parts have lasted or if they need to be changed. With a hobby you enjoy, I personally think you can never have too much technical data.
    2013 XTC 27.5, 2013 GIANT ANTHEM X ADVANCED 1x11, 2014 GIANT TCR, 2015 Propel
    http://www.bigtolittlebryan.com

SCRUBDUNKER
    I stole a KOM from a guy named Gill at Trail 100 awhile back.

and I'm slow.

Give it a crank
    you know guys if you upload your stuff using a garmin, you get to choose ride vs run... just saying
    It's when you email the gpx to strava that it guesses the kind of activity. Too slow of a ride and it assumes it's a run. I fix it when I go back later to rename it since it just puts the city and date.

Quote Originally Posted by razardica View Post
    I stole a KOM from a guy named Gill at Trail 100 awhile back.

and I'm slow.
    Now you're faster than the guy named Gill, congrats!

bland

I have been riding since the late 80's, it was an escape for me. The bikes sucked then ...

I'm not saying that it's bad but it's an interesting idea and a fun discussion.
    Read with a south african accent: Back in the mid 90's we were riding 3' travel pro-flex down gnarly lines, we were using trees as safety nets!

mtbr member

You get to choose it on your phone too. I doubt it has anything to do with pace.

No Clue Crew
    That's why I don't pay attention to it beyond my personal results...

Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I wish they would reset strava every once in a while. I noticed one time that my phone GPS wasn't tracking correctly
    It depends on your phone as well. A buddy and I noticed our times and distances are drastically off from each other on ride we did together. So, just for sh|ts and giggles we got to the top of Chutes and I said, "gimme your phone." Put his phone in my backpack next to mine and I beat him down the trail by 4 or 5 seconds. And that's a SHORT section of trail.

That's why you can't trust it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    That's why I don't pay attention to it beyond my personal results...

It depends on your phone as well. A buddy and I noticed our times and distances are drastically off from each other on ride we did together. So, just for sh|ts and giggles we got to the top of Chutes and I said, "gimme your phone." Put his phone in my backpack next to mine and I beat him down the trail by 4 or 5 seconds. And that's a SHORT section of trail.

The absolute accuracy is pathetic, particularly on short sections. Use a stopwatch instead, or not.

mtbr member
    So, just for sh|ts and giggles we got to the top of Chutes and I said, "gimme your phone." Put his phone in my backpack next to mine and I beat him down the trail by 4 or 5 seconds. And that's a SHORT section of trail.

The accuracy of the GPS is not as good on short sections. It comes down to sampling rate of the GPS on the phone. I can control mine and have it set to 2 seconds. So every 2 seconds it records a location. What that means is that my data is only accurate to that level. Also the more you turn and slower the sampling rate the less mileage it will record. So overall the accuracy is not perfect, but close enough for fun.
    Joe

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    The accuracy of the GPS is not as good on short sections. It comes down to sampling rate of the GPS on the phone. I can control mine and have it set to 2 seconds. So every 2 seconds it records a location. What that means is that my data is only accurate to that level. Also the more you turn and slower the sampling rate the less mileage it will record. So overall the accuracy is not perfect, but close enough for fun.
    For fun, certainly. But our distances are consistently off by 15% to 20% from each other. For what we use it for, though... who cares

AKA shitbird
    I really like Strava for tracking my progress and keeping track of my miles/where I've ridden. I have goals that I could track with any gps or computer (like riding X miles per week) but Strava is nice when I want to challenge myself and see when I'm actually improving. There is a motivation aspect too, it's really easy for me to get lazy on a ride but if I hit the trail with a goal like "let's improve my time on segment Y" or "I'm gonna beat Kenny B's stupid time" it gives me motivation to ride better, hence I end up having more fun.
    JRA

mtbr member

I remember when people whined about their Polar heart rate monitor killing their motivation. Just ride if you enjoy it, stop riding of you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rearviewmirror; 06-10-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Name:  rickybobby1.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  47.8 KB

DFL>DNF>DNS
    'Uh Oh, you lost your KOM on segment.....'

Dang, I just received one of these last night. I don't have many, typically the ones I do have are super remote, like 1/1 on the leaderboard or involve a great deal of HAB. But this one gives me motivation to go get 'er back. It's 95% HAB on the AZT near Blue Ridge Res. There's something twisted about wanting that one, but I'm dumb like that.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    'Uh Oh, you lost your KOM on segment.....'

Dang, I just received one of these last night. I don't have many, typically the ones I do have are super remote, like 1/1 on the leaderboard or involve a great deal of HAB. But this one gives me motivation to go get 'er back. It's 95% HAB on the AZT near Blue Ridge Res. There's something twisted about wanting that one, but I'm dumb like that.
    Name:  Intense Strava.png
Views: 417
Size:  91.7 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos View Post
    I really like Strava for tracking my progress and keeping track of my miles/where I've ridden. I have goals that I could track with any gps or computer (like riding X miles per week) but Strava is nice when I want to challenge myself and see when I'm actually improving. There is a motivation aspect too, it's really easy for me to get lazy on a ride but if I hit the trail with a goal like "let's improve my time on segment Y" or "I'm gonna beat Kenny B's stupid time" it gives me motivation to ride better, hence I end up having more fun.
    bro, I gotta ask... why is it "Gnarpiao" and not "Gnarpaio" ?? what is the significance of piao ?

AKA shitbird
    haha, I never noticed that I transposed the letters until you mentioned it.
    JRA

Pivotal figure
    I do have to say that for me STRAVA has been a really good tool for tracking times/mileage and all those other data points which come in pretty handy for test riding. I can ride a new bike and have a real recording of how fast I did a ride/segment in comparison to my personal bike. Takes a lot of the ambiguity out of things as well as letting me know if I was really sucking wind or not. It does motivate me to ride a bit harder at times but EVERY time I went after Eabo's damn KOM I managed to either eat sh$t and/or smash a der on the rocks. Stoopid STRAVA
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Strava has its pros and cons. If you use strava, watch this funny video on youtube about how it has changed the mentality of riding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJm1y0o7MHc

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by vchsti View Post
    Strava has its pros and cons. If you use strava, watch this funny video on youtube about how it has changed the mentality of riding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJm1y0o7MHc
    That was better than I expected...

mtbr member
    omg... awesome image...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails STRAVA is killing my motivation, more STRAVA rants-stravass.jpg