Stetson Valley Tues night mtb rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stetson Valley Tues night mtb rides

sounds like a good group is coming out for the first official Tues nt ride from Stetson Valley/Deem Hills park.

Starts at 7pm from the Deem Hills park.
    Ride the new trails up on the mountain and or desert across the canal.
    Desert trails would be fine for SS's, but not Deem Hills trails IMO-- all lot of climbing up there....

oooh, shiny...
    Where is this?

mtbr member
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...23003&t=h&z=15

The park is point B on the map. Checkout the stetson hills roadside thread for more info.
    I'll be there in a gray suburban w/ a yakima roof rack.

mtbr member
    It was a good ride. good climbs, good escents. It confirmed my belief of "never ride point" when Rob yelled SNAKE, after he went by it, and we saw Mr. rattler kickin' it on a down hill switchback. The best part of the night though, was when I found my GPS still on my back bumper after a 10 mile drive home.

mtbr member
    It was a great ride. I struggled to keep up two these two and bailed after just 6 miles.

I look forward to trying to keep this on my schedule going forward. Everyone should take a chance and coming out and check out this new trail system.

mtbr member
    yeah good ride Anthony and Keith. That rattler picked an interesting place to lay out..right in that tight downhill swithback, leaving hardly any room for me get by with running over him or endoing on top of him...glad I didn't tip over and dab on his friggin' head or something....YIKES!

More of you up this way should come next week and check out the ride and trail. If you haven't been up there yet, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised(and challenged)--it's no piece of cake...not very technical, but plenty tough otherwise.

mtbr member
    reminder about the Tues nt ride again this week. 7-9ish

mtbr member
    tonight....Tues....7pm at Deem Hills park

mtbr member
    Sorry I missed the ride tonight

Running late from work and then a flat tire to boot.

Still squeezed in 6 miles.

mtbr member
    preemo conditions!...packed/no powder loose dirt. The lite rain last night really improved the trail. Most of the swithback climbs were doable, except the loose/rocky rt hander on the upper west end.

A few more new riders will be joining us soon. See you peeps next week.
    Don't forget about the Thur road ride, 6:30 from the Deem Hills Park. That ride is catching on a bit too.

mtbr member

FREE BEER ride

got your attention now eh?

who's riding with us this week? I know there are more than 4 mtbs around here.....what R you guys/gals waiting on? See you Tues, 7pm at Deem Hills park

FREE BEER!!! That should do it...LOL But you bettter bring a couple extra just in case...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hope to be joining you guys next week. Where does the trailhead start at?

mtbr member

Point 'B' on the map is a city park. There's a trailed that leaves from the parking lot.

mtbr member
    the trail is in preemo shape now after the rains!
    See you fattire peeps Tues...630pm

mtbr member
    correction---ride starts 7pm

Let'er Buck
    I am planning to be there tonight.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

mtbr member
    tonight--Aug 17. Come get some thrills in the hills.

Let'er Buck
    I am in this week

Eleven - it's one louder
    Good to know about this ride. Unfortunately I have to work till 8p tonight but will try to make one of the next few. Those trails sound great!
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

Eleven - it's one louder
    Ride report? Was is storming when you were riding? I was at work watching the rain come down (Scottsdale) and wondering if you guys were able to shred or just drink beer. Either way, would have rather been there! Got to ride this morning, though.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

Let'er Buck
    I got there a few minutes late because I could not deciede on the weather, after I got there no one was there so I am not sure if they rode or not. I was not hurt I didnt realy feel like chancing it with the lightning.

mtbr member

Smile

same here. decided to scrub the ride with lightning a little too close.

Had a friend hit by lightning in Flag a while back and always try to avoid it if possible, to live and ride another day...like this week and weekend!

Going to Sedona Sat am to build new trail with TraiDoc if anyone wants to go. Leaving from Mellow Mushroom...I-17/Happy Valley

mtbr member
    Just hit these tonight for the first time. We took off from the 35th ave area TH and rode CCW mainly along the lower rim then hit the pretty steep up going east behind the houses. I did it all but about 100 yds of that climb on my SS- A strong and in shape rider could SS most of this- but it probablyh would not be that much fun. Spending the gravity bucks was fun though- good traction and lots of speed! Pretty fun stuff and will be much more fun when I get back into better condition. May have to hit up the Tues night ride next week! Oh- and I am super interested to hit the stuff on the north side of the canal. I grew up in the 80's moto-ing that whole area!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Let'er Buck
    I would join you but headed to flag this weekend to preride the barn burner let me know maybe next time.

mtbr member
    planning on tonight, but my light died.. , but hopefully fix it or something.

Let'er Buck
    I was planning to be there but took a spill sunday and flag that I think I better give a little more healing time.

mtbr member
    I'm out too.

No Clue Crew
    Anthony told me about this while riding Monday morn. I'd like to make it but it always depends on work and whether or not I'm playing volleyball. Volleyball is off for a couple weeks but some days I'm at work until well past 7p, in Tempe. I'll try but don't count on me. Everyone park in the lots by the soccer fields?

Let'er Buck
    Is this on tonight? Rob you gonna be there, I am hoping to but need to get my tire mounted first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Deems

does anybody have a ez trail or map of this Tuesday eve ride?

Let'er Buck
    We kind of make it up as we go, there are several options available

mtbr member
    I'm out again tonight. Grrr.

Here's a screen shot of one of the rides we have done. We started and stopped at the black square. The topofusion map is old, there is a park (Deems hills) there now.
    For directions to the park, look at one of the first couple of posts, there's a link to google maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stetson Valley Tues night mtb rides-export.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    O OK. Do you go over the canal or stay south of it? I have never been north of the canal. How many miles do you usually go?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

mtbr member
    I was the lone ranger on Deem Hills last night....cooler, great conditions.
    At one point I chased 4 coyotes about 300 yards going east toward the saddle. Then 2 more up the other side--they were out!.
    My temporary battery died before I started down, so I made down to the canal road and pedaled back in darkness---lights are over-rated anyway, but body armor is not, haha

Riding every Tues, but may change to later to coordinate with Exhale group

No Clue Crew
    Keep me posted. I'll make it one night eventually...

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice loop. How long does it normally take you? Both loops........Drew

mtbr member
    About 2 hoursish total. I've been out twice, and we did different routes, same amount of ride time.

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice. Once I get a good light I'll have to tag along!.........Drew

mtbr member
    Is this the nromal thread you guys use to show the status of the Stetson Valley ride? I would like to come out and check that out sometime.

Where did this map link come from? You don't happen to have access to the one for the Sonoran Loop Trail - the one that starts straight east of Stetson Hills, over the highway, then past the CAP. I believe the trail head parking lot is in the community called Fireside? Anyway, I would love to see if they have future plans to expand the trail.

mtbr member
    yes, this is the normal thread for the Stetson Valley/Deem Hills Tues night ride.

come out any Tues and post up just in case. Plan on a 2 hr ride, with good lights, and be ready to climb your ass off, with fun descending---it's 90% up and down. We will also mix it up, riding trails north of the canal, when the fence opens back up (eventually it always does)

Starts at the Deem Hills park, 630pm, east side of parking lot.
    There are restrooms, water, ramadas, and lush grass to hang out with a cold brewsky after the ride.

mtbr member
    Drew, come out when you get a light. My battery is sick and needs to go back for service, so now I'm limping along on a weakass 10w halogen, that only burns about 1 hr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    Where did this map link come from? You don't happen to have access to the one for the Sonoran Loop Trail - the one that starts straight east of Stetson Hills, over the highway, then past the CAP.
    I did a google search for "deem hills trail map" to see what would show up. I don't have any other maps of that area though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona

Riding every Tues, but may change to later to coordinate with Exhale group
    Hey Rob the Exhale ride has been alternating between Deems and the sweet singletrack goodness of Stetson Hills on Tues. at 8pm Tues.

We also have an 8pm Thurs night road ride lasting 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.

Do what it takes to move through

Exhale Bikes
    2814 W Bell Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85053-7530
    (602) 548-0567

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Doode
    Hey Rob the Exhale ride has been alternating between Deems and the sweet singletrack goodness of Stetson Hills on Tues. at 8pm Tues.

We also have an 8pm Thurs night road ride lasting 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.
    So, Deem Hills is linked in a map above somewhere. Where is Stetson Hills? And where's the Thurs night ride? I wanna get out for some of these...

mtbr member
    here's the map link for the Tues mtb ride from Deem Hills Rec Area/park, starting at 7pm. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...23003&t=h&z=15

If you want to start a little later, there is also an 8pm Tues mtb ride (Exhale Bikes) from Nate's house.
    Exhale also has a Thurs 8pm road ride approx 1.5-2 hrs

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    here's the map link for the Tues mtb ride from Deem Hills Rec Area/park, starting at 7pm. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...23003&t=h&z=15

If you want to start a little later, there is also an 8pm Tues mtb ride (Exhale Bikes) from Nate's house.
    Exhale also has a Thurs 8pm road ride approx 1.5-2 hrs
    So, the ride is going to be near the Kansas/Oklahoma border? Can I get a ride?

No Clue Crew

Deem Hills is the one I knew about. I don't know Nate or where his ride is starting from or going to... That's what I was wondering about.

No Clue Crew
    Tues mtb ride from Deem Hills Rec Area/park, starting at 7pm.

Some googling for Stetson Hills provides this
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Stetso...s,+Phoenix,+AZ

Which is like a half mile from Deem Hills. So, two rides around the same mountain an hour or so apart?

EDIT: Fixed the Deem Hills URL... The guy ahead of me copied/pasted the abbreviated link...
    Last edited by big0mike; 09-10-2010 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Tues mtb ride from Deem Hills Rec Area/park, starting at 7pm.

Some googling for Stetson Hills provides this
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Stetso...s,+Phoenix,+AZ

Which is like a half mile from Deem Hills. So, two rides around the same mountain an hour or so apart?
    First link took me to Kansas.

mtbr member
    thanks for fixing the map link...not sure how that happened.

Yes, there are 2 mtb rides on Tues nt. 7 & 8pm. The 8pm ride is made up of Exhale folks and others, so I think they ride later after the shop closes. Good group and they also ride road on Thurs from Nate's house in Stetson Valley (north of Happy Valley rd/51st ave)

The 7pm ride is the one myself and a couple of other guys started. The idea being, mixed group of riders/skills, start earlier before sunset/dark and get a 50/50 daylight/dark ride, and have time for a cold oil can afterward. With the shorter days and cooler temps coming, the 7pm or earlier(6:30) works well.

Come out and see which ride you prefer...it's all good.
    With the canal bridge passable again, we can now mix up the desert stuff with Deem Hills.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    With the canal bridge passable again, we can now mix up the desert stuff with Deem Hills.
    The bridge over the CAP is now open?? (please say yes...)

If so, time to go exploring....

mtbr member
    looks like another alien spaceship crashed into the fence, leaving a large gapping hole for access to OUR freakin' desert....time to ride beeoches!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    looks like another alien spaceship crashed into the fence, leaving a large gapping hole for access to OUR freakin' desert....time to ride beeoches!
    Hate when that happens.....especially when the hole is just big enough for a bike...

mtbr member
    A little confused (okay a lot-but just a little in this case!) but is Deem Hills and Stetson the same- or is Stetson considered the north side of canal. Would really like to explore the north side for some good trails!

Everyone Bleeds!

New question here. I thought.........

that "Deem Hills" was the Phoenix City Park where the trails are located and that Stetson Valley was the community that the park was located near............or, is this article wrong? http://northphoenixthoughts.com/deem...ley/:confused:
    Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    A little confused (okay a lot-but just a little in this case!) but is Deem Hills and Stetson the same- or is Stetson considered the north side of canal. Would really like to explore the north side for some good trails!
    That was my confusion as well. It's like all the knuckleheads calling Squaw Peak Piestawa Peak. Seems Deem Hills and Stetson may be the same...

mtbr member
    Stetson Valley and Stetson Hills are communitites, Deem Hills Rec area is the park.

Trails are up on the Deem Hills, and desert trails across the 51st ave bridge near Pyramid Peak.

Trailheads(Deem Hills trails) are the Deem Hills Rec area. Also a trailhead on the east side, 39th ave/w.pinnacle road.

There are also trails north and south of west wing community, but that's a whole nutter story....

mtbr member
    The later the better for me. I vote for and 8pm start time this tues the 14th.
    Any other opinions? I'm definitely in either way.

No Clue Crew
    My volleyball league starts up this Tuesday and we have an 8p game so I'm out. We occasionally have 6p games so I may be able to make an 8p start on those days...

mtbr member
    I can do 7pm if there is anyone going across the canal. The Deem's are fun-but still riding into shape makes 'em hurt on the SS.

Let'er Buck
    Is the canal open yet, I think I am out this week still tired from the barn burner but next week I should be in. I have been missing north of the canal though.

mtbr member
    I be there ready to roll at 7...let's do a ride across the canal this week. Some goodness out there for sure!

mtbr member
    cstem I can do 7pm if there is anyone going across the canal. The Deem's are fun-but still riding into shape makes 'em hurt on the SS.
    RobZona I be there ready to roll at 7...let's do a ride across the canal this week. Some goodness out there for sure!
    c u @ 7

"No Clue Crew"
    I need to get a light so I can make these Tuesday night rides!............Drew

mtbr member
    I've got a magicshine 900 you can borrow tonight.

Let'er Buck
    I wasnt going to ride to night but if you guys are going to go north of the canal I may have to try harder to make it. Are you still meeting at the same place?

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    I've got a magicshine 900 you can borrow tonight.
    Might have to take you up on that! I've never been on that trail or ridden at night! This trail SS friendly?..........Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Might have to take you up on that! I've never been on that trail or ridden at night! This trail SS friendly?..........Drew
    If we're going where I think, It's all pretty flat xc trails. I also believe cstem will be on his ss.

No Clue Crew
    You're a rock star! You can handle anything!

mtbr member
    As far as I know, yes.
    For those interested in joining:
    [http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.727...N&hl=en&tab=wl

"No Clue Crew"
    If we're going where I think, It's all pretty flat xc trails. I also believe cstem will be on his ss.
    Sweet. I like doing crazy stuff on the SS as well, but my lungs and legs aren't the best at super long climbs.

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    You're a rock star! You can handle anything!
    LOL...... I work with Rock Stars, but I'm the opposite of a Rock Star!

As far as I know, yes.
    For those interested in joining:
    [http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.727...N&hl=en&tab=wl
    So 6:45 or so?..........Drew

No Clue Crew
    LOL...... I work with Rock Stars, but I'm the opposite of a Rock Star!
    Don't lie... I've seen the pics and vids of your skillzzz...

"No Clue Crew"
    All Photoshopped! ...........Drew

Let'er Buck
    Fun ride last night guys thanks for making your way up.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by kdimon
    Fun ride last night guys thanks for making your way up.

Had a blast on the SS!!!! Looking forward to the next ride out there. I'll have my own light by then, I hope.........Drew

mtbr member
    head count for tonight 9/21?
    deem hills and a shorter desert loop?

mtbr member
    I'm out

"No Clue Crew"
    I dragged my feet on my light purchase and can't ride!!!!! I'll have one for sure next week!...........Drew

slow uphill
    looking forward to joining on one of these rides - can't make tonight but will plan for next week.

Let'er Buck
    I am planning to do this ride tonight at 7 from Deem Hills park, anybody who wants to join is welcome.

Need more cowbell
    I'll be there.

mtbr member
    I need to ride this!!

mtbr member
    Tues nights seem to be mtb night at Deem Hills. Groups are forming 6:30--7pm. Come out, meet up with some peeps, and enjoy the fun.
    Not a technical trail, but there is a lot of climbing/descending.
    Rides start in Deem Hills rec. area parking lot on east side. Look for the soccer field lights, you can't miss it. Several riders in north Phoenix area are riding this now.

Photos from last April before it was completed.

mtbr member
    I am coming out but am severely out of shape. So I may go explore the flatter sections north of the dam. Either way- I know the area well since I have been playing out there since 1980 and if I drop- no one need wait. Hope to see some folks there!.

mtbr member
    good group ride on Deem Hills tonight. 8 in our group and saw the Exhale womens's group of 3.
    Approx 9 miles, 1275' of climbing

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Is there still a group ride on Tuesday nights and if so what time now that is getting dark so early? Assuming you are still meeting at the park? I don't have lights but I guess this would be a good excuse to invest.............

mtbr member
    Tues nt rides have been good last few weeks. 6-10 riders.
    Starts 6:30 from Deem Hills Rec area parking lot. You will need lights.

Come join us. 1.5-2 hr ride, about 12 miles and 1200' climbing. https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

mtbr member
    Tues nt rides have been good last few weeks. 6-10 riders.
    Starts 6:30 from Deem Hills Rec area parking lot. You will need lights.

Come join us. 1.5-2 hr ride, about 12 miles and 1200' climbing. https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

........ who's in this week?

mtbr member
    I'm out. Stupid work. Hopefully next week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Is this trail similar to T-Bird? I always ride that and looking for some new trails!

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Less hikers and dogs and more challenging climbs, seems less rocky than T-Bird but thats just my two cents. I like to mix it up and do each a couple of times a week. I am still working on my stamina, I thought I was in great shape for 45 but the climbs still get me winded........... I have to stop for air a couple of times on the climbs at Deems.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootdan
    Is this trail similar to T-Bird? I always ride that and looking for some new trails!
    If you like tbird, you will love Deem Hills....crown jewel of NW. Don't mention to hikers or just tell them it's over-run with adrenaline-pumped mtbrs. They can have TB...mtbrs rule D' Hills.

drink coffee, ride.
    Yeah, I'd have to say, now that the trails are wore in a bit and have been rained on a couple times, this beats t-bird. Much longer climbs available (which lead to some fun downs), some of the trail sections are narrower now and there are some pretty cool vistas.

Wasn't a fan early on, but am converted now.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Sounds worth checking this out.

Does anyone have some GPS tracks to share? If they were posted in this thread, my apologies, I missed the link.
    "This is my favorite section...watch your step..."

drink coffee, ride.
    click on SuLing's links for the maps, once you are on the trails, you pretty much can't get lost, since it's contained by city

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough
    click on SuLing's links for the maps, once you are on the trails, you pretty much can't get lost, since it's contained by city
    Thanks. Yes, I did see the maps. I wasn't so much concerned about getting lost. I agree, looks pretty straightforward. I like to examine elevation profiles, grade and other rot. An existing track or a already digitized route would get me there more quickly.

I did a it more searching and came up with this

http://maps.google.com/?q=http://sha...01128-1413.kml

and this thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=Deem

mtbr member
    here's one of my GPS tracks to give you a good idea of the trail profile.
    http://connect.garmin.com/player/40466513

Bloodied but Unbowed

Awesome, thanks!

Looks like a good workout.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks! Im stoked for my ride tomorrow. Realized though, im missing the top bolt on my front disc brake...probably not the safest thing to do, but its so hard to resist

mtbr member
    Thanks! Im stoked for my ride tomorrow. Realized though, im missing the top bolt on my front disc brake...probably not the safest thing to do, but its so hard to resist
    check with ace hardware. They have a large assortment of metric bolts that might work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    check with ace hardware. They have a large assortment of metric bolts that might work.
    I think the actual hole in the fork is stripped Good thing I'm getting new forks soon

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    We need to start a rumor that Deems is infested with rattlesnakes to keep the hikers minimized..............

Let'er Buck
    I think that is all ready the general consensus and not to far from the truth but good trails.

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Wow, I was just kidding. I saw mention that someone encountered one in a odd spot on the trail one day but I have been up there a half dozen times or so and luckily haven't seen any yet.

However, a few years back when I was heavy into dirt bikes and before the 51st Ave bridge was blocked and fenced, I saw more rattlers on one particular Saturday at Pyramid Peak than I had seen total in our state in over twenty years worth of riding. Friend of mine in front of me actually slung a couple up in the air with his rear tire in my general direction. Scary. We probably saw fifty that day if we saw one...........

About 2 weeks ago I saw a large one while messing around on the flat trails that run on the north side of Adobe Dam, scared the $%&@ out of me as I can around a bush and he was laying across the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Pft, ive been living here my whole life and only seen 1...for a split second too. This place is too modern

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Pft, ive been living here my whole life and only seen 1...for a split second too. This place is too modern
    We are in prime rattlesnake country, no question. The prudent desert dweller would be best served by being aware and prepared.

mtbr member
    get your ride on tonight before the rains hit Wed.....630 pm

"No Clue Crew"
    Rob has a GREAT loop for those of you with a good light! Perfect night to ride!!!

No Clue Crew
    Rob has a GREAT loop for those of you with a good light! Perfect night to ride!!!
    Next Tuesday for sure... And probably the ONLY Tuesday I'll be able to attend.

mtbr member
    I thought I was going to make it next tues, but now my wife has to have a minor surgery, so I'm out yet once again. Maybe I'll be able to make it again next year.

Sigh.

Need more cowbell
    Great ride tonight. A little wet, but fun.

mtbr member
    cool and wet. Another good one Brian.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60316050

"No Clue Crew"
    Maybe Santa will being me a light for X-mas! If so I'm there on Tuesday!!!........Drew

mtbr member
    Rain sent me packing- went for a hike instead.
    Last Sunday I went and poked around the north side of canal- found some nice sections. Need to go back out and try to make a litte loop- but will have to wait- the rain is washing away all the tire tracks I was following!

mtbr member
    Did anybody find a red flashing light on the trail last night? Mine bounced off my pack somewhere. I was riding trails 6,2, and 3 until about 6:30.

mtbr member
    if you missed last Tues night ride, come out this week for a good but drier ride. Simply one of the best night trails around. Come ride with us before the rain and freezing temps blow in early Wed am.
    East side riders, load up the bikes, and see what'sup....you'll dig it!

mtbr member
    Rob, I saw your GPS tracks. Are you running the eastern loop CCW (down trail 3)? If so, that's the same ride I had planned on riding this weekend.

No Clue Crew
    if you missed last Tues night ride, come out this week for a good but drier ride. Simply one of the best night trails around.
    I'm in tomorrow. 6:30p, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    Rob, I saw your GPS tracks. Are you running the eastern loop CCW (down trail 3)? If so, that's the same ride I had planned on riding this weekend.
    Down 3 is certainly gonna be better than up that pig...

mtbr member
    Tues ride starts 630
    Moved it up earlier a while back for shorter days and cool temps.

Tr 3 is best done from saddle descending to the east, then climb multiple swithbacks to trail 2 loop. We'll do trail 3 this week, plus some other good ones.

JJK
    AZ MTBR

Nite ride

hey Rob
    i rode Deem hills tonite. I was up there at 5:40 pm finished up at 7pm We rode most
    of the trails,clockwise , except we rode # 6,7 ccw is this how you usually ride it ?

Johnny K

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm going to join you guys tomorrow. I'll be on the niner ht. Have to be on the road by eight to get to work on time.

Need more cowbell
    I'll be there tonight.

Need more cowbell
    Here is the Garmin info from tonights ride:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60972498

No Clue Crew
    Man, that was brutal tonight. 1200' of elevation gain... Jeezzz. I'll definitely be back out there but this will probably be the only Tuesday night ride I'll make due to my shitty work schedule. Thanks for leading Rob! And good meeting the rest of you. Hopefully all the Cholla spines came out of one rider's hand and someone else buys a chain that works Hell, why am I complaining? Both incidents gave me a nice break to catch my breath without having to looks like the slow ass holding everyone up

See ya all around...

The British ClimbMinister
    Thanks for leading RobZona - excellent ride and good company. Gotta do it again.
    Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for letting me join you guys. I'll be back for more. Keith

mtbr member
    great riding and meeting more of you tonight. Remember, this is a standing/every Tues nt ride, so come out and bring someone to ride any week. I live in Stetson Hills at the base of the trails, so I'm usually there every Tues and riding/training around the area mtb or road, every week for 24hitop coming up in mid Feb.
    BTW Brian, that Garmin 800 is waaay cool...thanks for posting the track.

Everyone have a happy/safe/healthy New Year!

No Clue Crew
    Hmmm... I wonder who's more accurate:

Me (Oregon 450t)

Or Whiskers (Edge 800)

Slight discrepancy in mileage and elevation but a HUGE discrepancy in time. The 800 has 1:05:14 moving and 1:43:15 total time yet posts a time of 1:07:59. Strange...

See ya...

Need more cowbell
    Elevation change is probably attributed to the 800 having a altimeter vs. reading topo info?

Otherwise, the distance might be the area where we rode down and turned around and came back up the hill to meet you guys?

The time is always sketchy with the auto pause....the thing beeped every time I moved around to help the guy fix his chain.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    Elevation change is probably attributed to the 800 having a altimeter vs. reading topo info?

Otherwise, the distance might be the area where we rode down and turned around and came back up the hill to meet you guys?

The time is always sketchy with the auto pause....the thing beeped every time I moved around to help the guy fix his chain.
    The auto-pause appears to have impacted the time although how the time displayed on connect.garmin.com is calculated will be as much a function of the import software at gamin.com than the GPS.

The altitude corrections mode is disabled for the processing of the second data set and enabled for the first data set. Without knowing the details of the algorithm it is difficult to know exactly what they are doing, but the software most likely remaps the altitude at the time of upload based on presumably more accurate topographical data using the reported on geographic position and extrapolating as need be.

Without both samples being processed in this way, it is comparing two entirely different things.

To add to that, the accuracy of the barometric altimeter is claimed to be +/-3m or about 10 ft. This is the resolution for a given sample point. It would only take about 15 samples (points) at the extrema of the stated accuracy to account for a difference of 156'. Comparing two units the margin of error is even broader. Point for point, the altitude is going to be pretty close. However, any error is added when points are aggregated. If either unit has a slew one way or the other, or both units are slewed in opposite directions, aggregation will make them look very inaccurate even if the individual points are pretty close.

Sampling a whole pile of devices over time and under varying conditions will likely yield an overall pretty accurate result. Taking two devices and comparing them will probably be disappointing at least some of the time.

The 156' discrepancy between these two samples, as irritating as it might be, seems pretty plausible.

Need more cowbell
    My brain hurts.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    My brain hurts.
    Sorry.

Take away point. Apples are not oranges.

No Clue Crew
    The 450 has a barometric altimeter but...

Quote Originally Posted by DesertCrawler
    The altitude corrections mode is disabled for the processing of the second data set and enabled for the first data set. Without knowing the details of the algorithm it is difficult to know exactly what they are doing, but the software most likely remaps the altitude at the time of upload based on presumably more accurate topographical data using the reported on geographic position and extrapolating as need be.
    I did notice that my "Altitude Corrections" were enabled and Brian's wasn't so assume that was the issue although I have no idea what "Altitude Corrections" really are. Until now. And my head hurt a little, too.

mtbr member
    so are you saying.... the Garmin 800 or Oregon is not recommended/approved for use on IFR flights in Cat 2&3 approved turbine A/C from FL 450 class A airspace, descend on own direct navigation using Garmin 800, to MEA, MOCA, initial approach fix to mountain airport, make a tear drop entry to holding, hold 'til minimum fuel, initiate approach in moderate-severe turbulence, heavy snow, stay on glideslope & localizer to inner marker, through decision height, to rvr < 100', land before flaming out, taxi to ramp, and promptly go clean out your pants in the FBO? Maybe be ok? with the altitude correction enabled and recalibrated, with updated software, algorithms, and samples from 2 other units??
    Hmm....

mtbr member
    I'm in for the ride tomorrow night. Come hell or high water.

mtbr member
    I'll probably be there, but expecting to be down on hp...recovering from cold.

No Clue Crew
    I'll probably be there, but expecting to be down on hp...recovering from cold.
    RobZona down on horsepower is more like a human then...

Need more cowbell
    I'm still recovering from New Year's....if I show, I'll will most likely be sweeping.

Need more cowbell
    I think I'm going over to PMP this afternoon instead. Tonight might be a little too chilly...

mtbr member
    I'm still going. 6:30 in the parking lot. Charcoal gray Suburban.

mtbr member
    Any of you guys ride a green Voodoo?

mtbr member
    Blue and silver Giant.

mtbr member
    Nice ride tonight. Fortunatly for the other two gents, I was there, so they had plenty of time to rest and recover waiting for me to catch up.

Deems Hills

EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Glendale, Arizona

mtbr member
    Jan 11 Tues nt ride. A combo ride in the dez and Deem Hills.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63068412

mtbr member
    A new first for me. It's not a big thing for most of you but it was for me. I finally made the first climb without stopping and only took one short break just before the switchbacks going up to the saddle. I've been riding Deems three days a week for the last few weeks and each day seems to get a little faster and easier. That along with a much better diet has resulted in 14 lbs lost since Jan. 4th. I have a long ways to go but its exciting for me to actually see and feel the difference in my stamina and strength.

mtbr member
    Good job! No better motivation than to be able to tracking your improvements, both in weight loss, and quickertimes/going further.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Way to go. That isn't so easy for many people.

mtbr member
    Congrats man!! I really need to go try these trails.

mtbr member
    duner, that's awesome! Nothing like accomplishing a rewarding goal and seeing yourself getting stronger, more confident, and fitter over time. That's how we all improve and keep moving to the next level--one goal at a time. Keep it up and enjoy your "climb"

mtbr member
    full moon, 60 degrees tonight....who's in! ?

No Clue Crew
    Man, I saw that full moon at 2a when my Dane needed to go potty. First thought was, that'd be nice to ride in. Love to join you again but work will prevent it again...

mtbr member
    full moon ride tonight was awesome. 58 degrees, unlimited visibility, so bright we hardly needed lights. 3-4 tough climbs, even did trail 3 westbound climbing up to the saddle and it was surprisingly doable, but challenging. http://connect.garmin.com/player/64086341

forgot the camera, but will try again next week.

mtbr member
    Looks like a nice ride, have to try this one some tues.
    This is what I am riding, just on the other side of the 17, I did two loops on this run, but I am going to start adding a third.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=930213

mtbr member
    Anyone doing this this evening? What time? I am FIP at 7pm, ride for at least 1.5 hours. Willing to explore north of canal too if anyone with some more knowledge of the area wants to. Or maybe I'll get lost! I will be blue Hardbody truck and Black GF Rig SS with white brakes. Cory

mtbr member
    usually a small group meets at 630p and rides up to 2 hrs. About 12 mi and 1200' of climbing. I'm out of the Tues rides for a while, since I'm teaching class late until early April.
    Might be doing Wed nights soon.

mtbr member
    So is this still happening at all? If not want to? Maybe different time or day?

I am in better shape and ready to ride this with others now!

mtbr member

Tues. pm rides

Cory:

A few of us were meeting there by the Softball-fields on Tuesday evenings and trying to pedal-off at 6:30.
    Last week there were 7 of us: JP, Harv, Christophe', Scott, Steve, Matt, and Birthday-Boy Aaron got in 12.9 miles and 1,611' of climbing.

I personally am TRYING to build-myself back UP again to hit Swiss on Tuesday Nights, but am a long-way off still. . .

May hit Deem again next week, may not (A few of us do a Rd. Ride around the Wig-Wam on Tuesday nights as well).

What about YOU getting back out HERE on Thursday Nights again?

This week we're back on F.I.N.S. and as always: Look to pedal off at 6:30 pm.
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

mtbr member
    6:45 Deems hills ride. Time for a big show of phat tires.
    Who all is in this week? East Valley? Central, Estrella, Anthem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    How many miles do you plan on doing?

mtbr member
    10-12 miles and about 1200' climbing. Could also do a combo Deem Hills and desert trail ride across the canal.

mtbr member
    riding sonoran preserve tonight for a change. FITP 645, big outer loop clockwise, Saw that awesome meteor last week....tonight who knows what....bringing the white 29er ON the orange sport touring Zook tonight. Let's ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0